Rumor From Wal-mart

sunshine

Just got back from Wal-Mart where there was someone from Hasbro, she said that G.I. Joe Sigma 6 has been cancelled due to their not being much interest from retailers. Can anyone confirm this? Maybe we will find out this weekend at the con.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting news indeed... we shall see. maybe we'll get word from the con.

Here's the thing with this: the line has a TV-series incoming.

That means that a retailer sponsored run was likely a done-deal BEFORE Toy-fair happened.

The ground-works for something like this go back probably about a year--and there's bound to be agreements in principle for carrying this product. If the toy line get's dumped the TV-series still has to be run--and its kind of silly running the show without product--even limited product to support it.

And to announce this right at this time and not back in Feb/march when the orders are actually made ( usually)???

Yea, the con will tell, but I'm leery of a rumour like this.

As an aside...........how does one confirm that " someone at Walmart" was actually from Hasbro? Are they wearing ID or does one just have to take them at their word??

Sorry, but my natural suspicions arise with rumours like this.

Its a dream, nothing more. If they already have the TV series ready, then retailers can't back out atleast until the contract or something.

I think Hasbro is waiting to push S6 until after the Con because of fans like us. They realized (I'm assuming) the fall-out from us by trying to take away our 3 3/4" figures. So I believe they're keeping quiet on S6 for awhile.

guess we'll have to see this weekend.

the smart thing would be to base the toon series off the new single pack figures hasbro will have online, and let the kids go nuts over them until the stores HAVE to have them back lol

I doubt it, but there are rumors floatinga round that target did not order and Sigma...........

Draven

And just when I thought I couldn't love Target anymore......

LOL!

But you know what they say about something being too good to be true. But if it is true, I could see Target and TRU getting in the single carded figures that are on Hasbro Toy Shop and Wal-Mart proably won't buy any(Figuring they were proably the ones putting preasure on Hasbro to do away with the 3 3/4 joes anyways.) at all and stick to their crappy Corps figures.

If they put all that time and money into S6 and it already bombed then it can only hurt the G.I. Joe line as a whole. It will keep even more kids from getting into Joe and Hasbro will lose all of their initial investment and never take a risk with the Joe line ever again, which could keep us from getting bigger playsets and vehicles as TRU reissues. We already know that the 3 3/4" line isn't dead, so I no longer have any problem with S6 as long as it hypes up kids for G.I. Joe and the rerelease of small scale figures at mass retailers later on down the road.

Because of all this, I really hope the rumors aren't true. I find it hard to believe that Hasbro would spend so much on developing this line and then allow it to fall apart before it even hits retail. They would find a way to make it happen after such a big financial risk.

Yeah, it should have been a done deal when they announced it. It would be very suprising if this happened. the funny thing thing is, hasbro still probably won't learn from it lol.

I don't understand why everyone is so down on S6 now that we are getting 3 3/4" joes online. S6 did not destroy our line like everyone thought it was goijng to. If anything taking the small joes out of retail made the line better! S6 actually helped!

I personally hope this rumor is not true. I was looking forward to S6 and I still am.

As an aside...........how does one confirm that " someone at Walmart" was actually from Hasbro? Are they wearing ID or does one just have to take them at their word??

Sorry, but my natural suspicions arise with rumours like this.

That's a really good point. It was probably some 'smart' fan who read a rumor on some message board, and took it as truth, and now feels obligated to be a Hasbro spokesperson whenever he sees Joe fans in the stores. I'm in Wal-Mart at least 5 times a week, and I spend way too much time in the toy section, and I've never seen company representatives in the aisle. They really don't have a purpose being there. I don't think Hasbro sends reps around to stores. Their product is sent to the stores where Wal-Mart reps handle the set up and distribution of the product.

I don't understand why everyone is so down on S6 now that we are getting 3 3/4" joes online. S6 did not destroy our line like everyone thought it was goijng to. If anything taking the small joes out of retail made the line better! S6 actually helped!

I personally hope this rumor is not true. I was looking forward to S6 and I still am.

Actually it did, but back-lash from the fan base made them decide to keep the 3-3/4" line going.

My guess is that it's just a rumor. IF it turns out to be true, then when given Wal-Mart' ways, then Wal-Mart decided that they don't like it, so Wal-Mart decided it should be cancelled.

When considering how long it takes to make cartoons, the production of the coming cartoons is well underway by now. Hell at this time they probably have most of the first season done.

I've seen a Hasbro rep in Oklahoma City stores a couple times. She was about 60, very grandmotherly looking, and wearing a green vest that said Hasbro. The most recent time I saw her was at a TRU shortly after SW Ep. 3's toyline launched and she was working on that area. Don't know about other toy companies, but I do see reps from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo in the videogame sections occaisionally, and sometimes talk to the Nintendo rep.

+-MWG-+

Actually it did, but back-lash from the fan base made them decide to keep the 3-3/4" line going.

I don't think you can say S6 caused the 3 3/4" joes to be cancelled, the fans got pissed off and because of that Hasbro decided to bring back the small joes as online exclusives.

I have no doubt that Hasbo reacted to the online out cry about the cancellation of the 3 3/4 inch line, but there seems to be FAR to much thought put into the online exclusives for it to be simply a knee jerk reaction to the fans disappointment. It takes time to plan and develop a toy line.

And Hasbo said that the line was on "Hiatus". They were very careful not to say it was cancelled. Hasbro knew what they were doing. I would be willing to bet that the online exclusives were planned long before S6 was ever announced.

Pulling joes out of the retail stores is the best thing that could happen. No more endless hours hunting through the isles looking for that one hard to find figure. No more scalpers snatching up your toys before you get there. No more Wal-mart messing with the product decisions.