"warning" Section???

kingu

i see a lot of people getting banned, and a lot of people getting upset about those people getting banned, and a lot of people getting upset at those people who are upset about those people who were banned...get my drift?

how about creating a section for those topics/members that are about to get locked/banned. personally i agree with most of the banishment that goes on here (flame me if you must), but if a moderator were to move the topic to specific area, with a warning to the offending member, but still let the topic contine (for a reasonable time) wouldn't that make everyone happy? then if the member continues his inappropriate behavour...ban away. at least then everyone could have a reference point, instead of having a billion posts in a dead topic with people wondering about WHY someone got banned.

don't get me wrong...i think the mod's here do a great job of keeping this site PG13 (which is what drew me to it in the first place.) in real life, i'm not PG13 myself (i drop the "f" bomb WAY too much)...but that's why i joined...it's an escape from my life. i like the fact that everyone gets along so well (for the most part.) i take jabs at people from time to time, but i honestly don't' mean any harm. i personally think a lot of people who are getting banned don't realize that they are disrupting things as much as they are.

just my $.02...want change?

thanks for listening,

kingu

The people that get banned typically do not give a rat's patootie about anyone else and troll/flame or otherwise disrupt simply for attention or out of immaturity.

I think one of the things that has to be recognized here is that the forum administration is not a democracy. Someone pays the bills for the site, thus that person has the final say.

That's the reality of the situation, so being "upset" about the bannings is pointless.

Think of this forum as being like a house party. If someone misbehaves they get shown the door.

I've gotten a couple of warnings for being too headstrong with my opinions.

That's my crime.

If I were to continue being overly pushy with my opinions, in spite of the warnings, then I'd be banned.

There's a fine line between contribution and disruption, and I sometimes ride that line pretty tight.

Does that mean I'm a troublemaker?

No, because I contribute more than I ca-ca disturb. Some of the notorious folks that have been banned simply did not let up.

I've observed that there's a clear pattern of consistency in posting behaviour that leads someone to being banned. I think that its a sign of GOOD moderation that the administrators of the forums at least look for the patterns and do so quite fairly.

Banning is simply the most expeditious way of dealing with a problem person.

I've disagreed with some mods on some of my warnings, told them so in fact, but I've no illusions that , for the most part they are being fair. I make a honest attempt to reciprocate fairness.

Were the banned folks doing likewise, me thinks they'd all still be here.

These forums are frequented by people of all stripes, ages, educations and maturity levels---Its a mish-mash of wise and wise-acres.

Not all those things are a good mix.

For what its worth, I think the mods are on top of things and keep a good , fair eye out on us all. Its why these forums are so popular.

Now watch, I'll prolly git my keister flung out the door for saying all that out of turn... @smilepunch@

you just verified everything i was trying to say. if someone trolls, move the post to a section where (if you go there) you know what you are getting in to. if a member want to continue to reply to a post that is obviously a flamer...then so be it. just don't clog up the "legitimate" forums with it.

and for the record (regarding "Someone pays the bills for the site, thus that person has the final say." flame possts get a lot of attention. i'd bet that anything that gets confined to a "restricted" area gets more attention/exposure than most.

exposure = $

People wouldn't READ such a section. I only read a few sections and don't bother with the others. Granted, I try my best NOT to make trouble, but still.

It would probably be better if the person just got a PM warning message or something first.

I prefer the way we do things now...

...tossing everyone's names in a hat and pulling to see who gets banned that day.

:unsure:

What?

^_^

It would probably be better if the person just got a PM warning message or something first.

I believe this practice already occurs.

that is how we do it.

We have a 3 strike rule. If you are breaking any of the rules on the board, we give you a warning via PM. This is not made public, as there is no need to. If you keep it up, you are giving a final warning that if you don't stop, you will be removed from the boards.

Anyone that has been banned from this site, has had their warnings, they chose to ignore them. We do not make bannings public, as there is no reason to. When someone is causing a problem, we deal with that trouble maker as swiftly as we can, as to not let it cause any more problems on the boards. That way discussions may return to normal and everyone can get on with why they came here in the first place. To discuss toys,comics and collectables.

I believe this practice already occurs.

that is how we do it.

We have a 3 strike rule. If you are breaking any of the rules on the board, we give you a warning via PM. This is not made public, as there is no need to. If you keep it up, you are giving a final warning that if you don't stop, you will be removed from the boards.

Anyone that has been banned from this site, has had their warnings, they chose to ignore them. We do not make bannings public, as there is no reason to. When someone is causing a problem, we deal with that trouble maker as swiftly as we can, as to not let it cause any more problems on the boards. That way discussions may return to normal and everyone can get on with why they came here in the first place. To discuss toys,comics and collectables.

Did you ever know that your my Heeeerrrrro... ;)

That's how I had suspected things were done, obviously someone isn't going to get banned right off the bat without a warning, it's just common sense. I think the mods for the most part do a rather fine job "policing" the forums, from what I've seen they are normally pretty fair about everything.

I don't think something like that would be necessary. Let the mods and the offender work out their issues in private. Most of the regulars here know when somebody's pushing the envelope and getting out of control, so I've yet to be really SHOCKED or surprised when I've seen that someone has been shown the door.

Anyone that has been banned from this site, has had their warnings, they chose to ignore them.

how many warnings did you get before you got banned? @smilepunch@ @firedevil@ don't take offense.

you talk a lot about being banned in the past (WAY before my time) but you are now a moderator, did you intentionally flame? what did you get banned for? i'm just trying to play devil's advocate here.

before anyone gets upset, i'd just like to say that i LOVE this site, the people who post here, and the moderating team. they do a GREAT job. (group hug!)

my post was just a "suggestion."

kingu

Anyone that has been banned from this site, has had their warnings, they chose to ignore them.

how many warnings did you get before you got banned? @smilepunch@ @firedevil@ don't take offense.

you talk a lot about being banned in the past (WAY before my time) but you are now a moderator, did you intentionally flame? what did you get banned for? i'm just trying to play devil's advocate here.

before anyone gets upset, i'd just like to say that i LOVE this site, the people who post here, and the moderating team. they do a GREAT job. (group hug!)

my post was just a "suggestion."

kingu

I didn't get a warning the first time, because I didn't deserve a warning lol when you flood an entire forum with 100 threads of swearing and acting like an idiot, you automatically get the boot.

The 3 strike warning system wasn't in place any of the times I was banned.

yep, I intentionally wrecked that forum along with my friend tee, we both did, but she never got banned. second time she was banned with me though when I gave out my password to the board, and a bunch of members started signing in as me and spamming.

that account got completly screwed up and is now called "Nope". its still on the top ten posters list.

I dont remember the other times I got banned.. some of them were for making a new member and coming back on after I was banned.

• 3 weeks later...

CliffjumperDoor was a user name I created after I got banned the first time on ADC/TNI. but then I got caught and was banned again

• 1 month later...

Why dont you write the entire thing to us? Id like to hear those stories, generally when you get banned the first time, you cant come back to a forum again (thats what my old pal Joe Moore told me) but you have been banned more times that I can recall since I'm here, and you're still running here, and not as a regular member but a moderator, now thats quite a goal @smilepunch@

• 3 months later...

The only thing I don't like is not knowing he is banned, but not because of being nosey. I just fear someone I have gotten friendly with here could get the boot, and I'd have no way of knowing where they'd gone to.

Well there are two type of people who get banned. The first is the obvious troller. Someone who has signed up for the obvious reason to cause trouble. Never has contributed and is brand new. Those people will get banned ASAP. I dont have time to waste with people like that, and they know what they are doing it before they do it, so a warning is pointless.

The second are people who for the most part make actual contributions to the site, but will sometimes get out of hand. Now these people will be given at least 3 warning at least before a banning. These people I try to give as much leeway as I can and I dont ban people lightly.

• 2 weeks later...
Well there are two type of people who get banned. The first is the obvious troller. Someone who has signed up for the obvious reason to cause trouble. Never has contributed and is brand new. Those people will get banned ASAP. I dont have time to waste with people like that, and they know what they are doing it before they do it, so a warning is pointless.

The second are people who for the most part make actual contributions to the site, but will sometimes get out of hand. Now these people will be given at least 3 warning at least before a banning. These people I try to give as much leeway as I can and I dont ban people lightly.

#US1# that seems fair