It Has Begun

Crimson Twins

It has started. Joe is being phased out in my local Wal-Marts. Two stores have done away with them completely. Now they've been replaced by Corps junk. I asked a few associates there, and I was told they have no new plans of restocking any Joe toys. I guess this will be the last few months to enjoy those toy runs at our local stores.

@grumpy@

My local Walmart has about 4 2 packs warming the pegs and a few 12 inch items that have been there for 6 months. They did get in one shipment of the assortment that had the Venomization chamber in it. That has been the extent of that Walmart's stock. I saw wave 7 at another Walmart in Columbia and they had very few to choose from. On the flip side of this is that my local Toy's R' Us did a HUGE restock last week. They have at least 40-50 2 packs, the new 6 packs, roughly 20 Ninja Battles sets, ect. They even changed the toys that were sitting in the plastic display case. Is somebody dumping all the leftover product to my local Toy's R' Us store?

clearance?

I think that's likely at a few stores. Wal Mart leaves the choices for clearance items pretty much to the individual managers, though. So, one store might clearance their Joe stock while one a mile or two away will not. Around here, WM has pretty sparse Joe stock. So, even if they did clearance what they have, there still wouldn't be much to buy.

The restocks at TRU, though, are very interesting. Perhaps TRU hasn't dropped the line as entirely as we've been lead to believe....

I wonder about the closet G.I.Joe collectors, who don't have access to a computer, that don't even know about the online store?

Seems like a LOT of pressure on the collectors who do, to make a success of this way of buying our Joes now?

I wonder about the closet G.I.Joe collectors, who don't have access to a computer, that don't even know about the online store?

Seems like a LOT of pressure on the collectors who do, to make a success of this way of buying our Joes now?

I agree. If I hadn't happened on this site by accident, I would have been in the dark about a lot of Joe stuff. There are lots of 'collectors' out there that know nothing of the Joes going online. Maybe they should begin advertising with pack in preview catalogs. Would sure beat those stupid comics.

I agree. If I hadn't happened on this site by accident, I would have been in the dark about a lot of Joe stuff. There are lots of 'collectors' out there that know nothing of the Joes going online. Maybe they should begin advertising with pack in preview catalogs. Would sure beat those stupid comics.

I saw a big ad in Toyfare for the online exclusives, so Hasbro's trying to get the word out to those who aren't aware.

I also saw the ad in Toyfare, I love it "It's nice to see single men back on the market" says Baroness.

A cheesy story also about the return of the 3 3/4" Joes in Toyfare. Ed Kriete said "We realized direct-to-consumer would be the perfect way to meet collector needs." - I guess that's the nice way to say Wal*Mart isn't interested in 3 3/4" G.I. Joe figures anymore.

I noticed this a couple weeks ago here. Four of the Walmarts have nothing, and the other three are just packed with 50+ of V3 waves one and two. The only nice thing is that Targets and TRU's are putting out some of the latter vechicles.

I've noticed a lot of later stuff showing at both Target and TRU as well. I've seen that new vehicle with Recondo, but I always seem to miss the Venom Chamber.

I think it would be hilarious if Target and TRU ask Hasbro if they can carry the new stuff, Hasbro obliges, and they leave Wal-Mart in the dust. That thought fills me with warm feelings.

What was it, that Wal-Mart specifically did against Hasbro, and is Hasbro pulling ALL their toylines from out of the brick & mortars?

Are Wal-Mart execs and Hasbro execs sitting in round table meetings arguing over G.I.Joes only? @hmmm@

This seems to be one of those urban legends building, about some inside battle between Hasbro and Wal-Mart, and focused ONLY on the implementation of certain action figures, namely G.I.Joe!

:rolleyes:

I would prefer to keep buying my Joes at Wal-Mart myself, they've been good to me, but something tells me, that it's all about the money! Wal-Marts getting villified by some corporate bigwigs, who feel they're not getting a big enough cut on the sale of their products thru Wal-Mart stores. They'd have us all believing Wal-Mart is the anti-christ, and when we see those $8.00 single packs, show up on the online store, we'll understand WHY! @grumpy@

The restocks at TRU, though, are very interesting. Perhaps TRU hasn't dropped the line as entirely as we've been lead to believe....

I think you're on to something Mike.....

Jase

=w=

I asked a few associates there, and I was told they have no new plans of restocking any Joe toys.

Never believe a store employee, they have no clue what upper management's decisions are. Every clerk doesn't know, and most of the time doesn't care.

6 months ago, my TRU in San Antonio stopped carrying gijoes (3 3/4) line _ they just discontinued it and weren't getting any new stock in. The TRU here in Oklahoma has at least all the new stuff in the way of 6packs, vehicles, etc.

Walmart is really my favorite way to get stuff. I go there anyway to shop for food/gas, it's easy to pop by the toys and see if they got anything new in. Target always has their stuff for $2-3 more a piece too

I'm really torn on this issue, because as long as the online exclusives will be plentiful and available, I prefer to just order them from the convenience of my computer at home. And it's like getting those old mail-away exclusive figures in the mail back in the day, but on a much larger, grander scale. But...there is something fun about heading on over to the bright new toy aisle in a given store to find the latest figures. Thrill of the hunt and all I guess. I don't know. It has its pros and cons I guess like anything else. Like someone else said though; it will cut down on time and gas running all over creation just to find that one figure you need. Just point and click, and it's yours (usually). (lol) But you also have to consider another thing also; how much easier (or harder) will it be for scalpers to corner the online market? You know they've got bundles of money ready just waiting to clean house on the online retailers. BUT...hopefully Hasbro has anticipated collector demand and will have plenty available to everybody. I sure hope so...

I don't mind ordering them online. My major concern is not being able to look at the paint aps before buying.

And like Mike said, the Walmarts around here are pretty bare.

Jase

=w=

They'd have us all believing Wal-Mart is the anti-christ

You mean they aren't? @hmmm@

Seriously though, I would love it if Target and TRU maybe even KB picked up the GI Joe line and leave Wal Mart in the dust. Target can pick up where Wal Mart left off, order large amounts of the toys to get the discount. If you want to be the top dog, you have to be willing to take the hit.

Meh, but as long as I can get the online exclusives its all good. The only worries that I have are the same mentioned, availibility of product, and sharks circling in cyber-space.

I never meant to make it sound like Wal-Mart was the bad guys here. I was just bringing up the fact that the end of Joes at retail is nearing. Barring any other stores being willing to pick up the new line, of course. I still love my Wal-Mart for everything else, but it's obvious to me that they are no longer a part of my toy runs.