Wizards-how To Draw Vol. 1

ARROW

All the jibes/criticism that Wizard magazine and its off-shoots take for being a juvenile read, it has had one feature that's been a real gold-mine for the past 14 years--that being the Basic Training ( How to draw tips).

There's a new compliation of "the best of" out now and its a handy volume at that. Its about $30US ( $42Cdn) and in this ol' cartoonist's opinion its worth every penny.

250+ pages, tips from the very basics of tools, drawing structure, proportions, perspective to pro tips such as the 180 degree rule and storytelling pointers. Its not all-encompassing and doesn't include all the Basic Training articles but what it does have is a very good sampling.

There's added "value" in blurbs of advice from various creators dotted throughout and the articles are as printed originally with minor tweaks to account for being complied into this volume.

I've been drawing professionally for over 20 years now and there's tid-bits in this thing that I can find useful. Add the time-honored classic "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way", a couple of Byrne Hogarth aanatomy/figure drawing books, and maybe Steve Katz's book Filmmaking:Shot by Shot for cinematograpghy insight and you'd have a pretty good micro-library for drawing comics.

There's more than a few questionable how-to-draw instruction books on the market, this one from Wizard is the real deal. Highly recommended.

yeah ive been meaning to pick this up

I have a stack of those from when I was collecting Wizard; Bart Sears' "Brutes and Babes", Greg Capullo's "Krash Course", etc... I refer to them quite a bit.

When I first heard about the Wizard How to Draw book, I thought it was going to collect ALL of the How to Draw lessons. Basically, I thought I was going to get all of the Bart Sears lessons. But unfortunately, no. Because of Bart Sears, I became more interested in drawing and doing more research when I first began to seriously draw back in the day. That must have been '92. I still refer to his stuff.

I don't care much for how to draw books. I preffer just to enhance my skill with practice. Plus all those steps take too long.

I don't care much for how to draw books. I preffer just to enhance my skill with practice. Plus all those steps take too long.

All those steps are often necessary to pull off a good drawing.

Things like line-work, interesting shapes, structure, anatomy, design, juxtaposition of positive/negative spaces all sound like a complex checklist of things (and it is) but anyone whose drawing anywhere near an accomplished level is already paying attention that kind of stuff-consciouly or unconsciously.

Methodology is really required before great skill arrives anyway.

Practise can be decieving without method/analysis because just simple repetition doesn't mean that skill will be attained.

Anyone who goes through the western education systems has an exposure to drawing--its part of our schooling. This people who lack advanced artistic skill still have a childhood assocation to drawing that can be deceptive as to how much work it can be. If it was easy, everyone would be drawing like Adam Hughes or painting like Alex Ross.

Cool! Have some stuff we can check out?

I do but I don't have anything set up to link them to the web.

All those steps are often necessary to pull off a good drawing.

Things like line-work, interesting shapes, structure, anatomy, design, juxtaposition of positive/negative spaces all sound like a complex checklist of things (and it is) but anyone whose drawing anywhere near an accomplished level is already paying attention that kind of stuff-consciouly or unconsciously.

Methodology is really required before great skill arrives anyway.

Practise can be decieving without method/analysis because just simple repetition doesn't mean that skill will be attained.

Anyone who goes through the western education systems has an exposure to drawing--its part of our schooling. This people who lack advanced artistic skill still have a childhood assocation to drawing that can be deceptive as to how much work it can be. If it was easy, everyone would be drawing like Adam Hughes or painting like Alex Ross.

I don't mean any negativity against pre drawing teps, I'm just stating that I don't use them personally, maybe that subconsious thing though.

Picture.jpg

Let's see if this works.

No, I guess I can't transfer Angelfire, heres the link of a random thing I have scanned...

http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/dbcentral/Picture.jpg

Hum, link doesn't work either, don't click, copy and paste address into address bar.

I do have to admit that I do alot better with straight forward figures out of action.

I do have to admit that I do alot better with straight forward figures out of action.

Who are your artistic influences?

Ummm, yeah not to sure on that either, the specific picture is pretty much inspred by the Superman/Batman: Supergirl story line, so I guess the Witchblade guy in that case. Whenever I read a comic the art usually affects my work but I don't have any serious artistic role models.

Actually there isn't much of that there.

Oh, so you are into Michael Turner. Cool. Do you plan on becoming a professional artist later on?

I'm hoping.