Revenge Of The Sith Drops................

KENNY GUIDO

It's actually more than indicitave of modern cinema, and the issues it is having.

Movie Studios are gearing everything towards the opening weekend -- critical reviews, advertising, buying theatres, how the box office reports... We are expected to go opening weekend and shell out huge amounts of cash.

The problem is, few studios are really good at "sustained" viewership -- that is, drawing in larger crowds via word of mouth, continued promotion, and most importantly, epic cinematic viewing (that doesn't tire the average moviegoer, like RotK ... 4 times personally. ;) ).

The prohibative cost of going to the movies (averaging about 20 bucks per person these days) also contributes to this, but it is also a side effect of the movies being in theatres shorter.

No.... the money these days are in DVD sales and merchandising, as only the largest of the large movies make it big in the theatres over a sustained time. Now, 22 mil isn't horrible, by standards from 10 years ago... But with the advent of the megaplex and the megablockbuster, it's laughable...

... Personally, I'm kinda pissed that they are already hyping up Batman Begins. As that starts to enter the public consiousness, sales for Star Wars will drop.

It never ceases to amaze me how cutthroat and evil the summer movie season is.

Times have changed - this is a DVD everyone will buy, so why go to the theatre multiple times? It's not like it was back in the day...

your absolutley right, especially when the movie will be released in 6 months on dvd. I may just see it one more time this summer. wish there was a drive in left on long island, tho! :(

I might got see that movie again.

I dunno why but whenever I seen Starwars Episode III: Revenge of the sith I really feel like buying figures.

I'm looking for Assaj Ventress in stores.

she's one of my favorite Clone wars figures alongside Durge.

... Personally, I'm kinda pissed that they are already hyping up Batman Begins. As that starts to enter the public consiousness, sales for Star Wars will drop.

Yes, I can't believe they are running trailers for BB already. Afterall, it doesn't start for 10 whole days...I just expected the hype to start the night before :rolleyes:

Also, it has no effect on Sith ticket sales until they are both out simultaneously. I mean, do you think there is someone who wants to see both but is skipping ROTS right now because they need to save their $$ to see BB??????

Yes, I can't believe they are running trailers for BB already. Afterall, it doesn't start for 10 whole days...I just expected the hype to start the night before :rolleyes:

Also, it has no effect on Sith ticket sales until they are both out simultaneously. I mean, do you think there is someone who wants to see both but is skipping ROTS right now because they need to save their $$ to see BB??????

That soon?

Jeez... okay, I stand corrected.

Still, it seemed like the SW stuff was on the back shelf the day after Memorial Day, at least locally.

The movie has averaged over 300 million in three weeks. I dont see why that is anything to be sad about. Who cares if its #3 or #1? The fact is, its making money. Last week people were still really hyped to see Star wars, so the other new releases got pushed back a bit. Now that more people have seen it, they are looking to see some other things. This is a pretty slow summer for movies, so expect Sith to hang around awhile.

I guess there were people hoping that Sith would beat out Titanic for the all-time #1 gross, but I knew that wasn't going to happen. Until another movie comes along that features some heartthrob actor that can make teenage girls go back to the theater 15 times each, no movie will beat it.

The only movie I ever see topping Titanic, would be a movie about september 11th and we probably wont see that in our life times

There are actually a lot of bootlegs out there for sale really cheap, plus people can easily download it.............that's why it will not beat Titanic. Titanic came out in a time before the two above money stealers were as popular.

bootlegs have always been around. I got a bootleg of titanice when it was released very easily.

I am one of those that hope E3 will sink titanics record.

I don't know, wasn't it time for another movie to take the top spot ? As long as it isn't anything starring Paris Hilton....

j

I was hoping it would have retained the top spot a little more than 3 weeks. even dropping to #2 would have been nice, but "3rd" is a far drop!

Im gonna go see it again soon.

.. Personally, I'm kinda pissed that they are already hyping up Batman Begins. As that starts to enter the public consiousness, sales for Star Wars will drop.

It never ceases to amaze me how cutthroat and evil the summer movie season is.

The Target I work for took down its ROTS endcap at the end of the Star Wars aisle in favor of Batman.I love Batman and will see the movie but I will not by the toys.I will still grab Star Wars.And of course any Transformer I need

There are actually a lot of bootlegs out there for sale really cheap, plus people can easily download it.............that's why it will not beat Titanic. Titanic came out in a time before the two above money stealers were as popular.

bootlegs have always been around. I got a bootleg of titanice when it was released very easily.

I am one of those that hope E3 will sink titanics record.

Internet downloading of movies was not around though (or at least far less common).

What is Titanic's record anyways?

yup, that's the biggest killer of movie ticket and CD sales <_< its only been within the past 5 years that e-piracy has really gotten out of control. I for one am not a big fan of it for the fact that it breaks the chain in the course of actions that have to take place for all the cool media goodies we enjoy today. So in the long run we are only gonna be depriving ourselves. :(