Remember I Spoke About Star Wars Ripping Off Lotr?

KENNY GUIDO

Does anyone recall me mentioning that I had a anrgument with a bunch of LOTR freaks where as they had told me that Lucas had stolen the whole STAR WARS TRILOGY from the LOTR series?

well, here are some simalarities that the LOTR freaks spoke of:

LORD OF THE RINGS AND STAR WARS ARE THE SAME STORY

I've heard it said many times since it's release in 1977, that 'Star Wars' was heavily influenced by Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings' books. I never really saw it myself though. After all, 'Star Wars' is science fiction, in outer space, with robots and ray guns and space ships and such, while 'Lord of the Rings' is fantasy, with trolls and elves and orcs and such. While recently watching Peter Jackson's version it dawned on me that 'Star Wars' isn't simply influenced by 'Lord of the Rings,' it is the EXACT same story as 'Fellowship of the Ring.'

Let's just look at the (story/stories) simultaneously:

Our tale begins with our young hero (Luke Skywalker/Frodo Baggins) a simple youth who might dream of far away places but has never really left the home of his uncle before.

He comes into the possession of the (Stolen Death Star Plans/Ring of Power.) This is the only thing that can stop the evil (Emperor/Sauron.) He must take the (Stolen Death Star Plans/Ring of Power) on a long and dangerous quest to stop the forces of evil. Luckily, he is not alone. There is wise old man, (Obi Wan Kenobi/Gandalf the Grey) with supernatural abilities to help guide him. There are also travelling companions to provide comic relief (C-3P0 & R2-D2/Merry & Pippin)

Our hero must first go to the (Mos Eisley Cantina/Prancing Pony Inn) While not far from home; it is the first time (Luke/Frodo) meets other races.

This is where (Luke/Frodo) will meet (Han Solo/Aragorn), the handsome rogue who will take (Luke/Frodo) where he needs to go. There is also (Chewbacca/Gimli.) A very physically strong character, much closer to nature than the others.

There is only one love interest, but after all is said and done, she isn't really interested in our hero at all. It turns out, she's more interested in (Han Solo/Aragorn)

Just about halfway through, our heroes come to a door that they can't seem to open. At this point, some creature hiding under water grabs (Luke/Frodo) by the leg with one of its tentacles! Luckily our heroes manage to escape the creature and pass through the door.

Once through the door, out heroes find themselves in a vast labyrinth of hallways in the (Death Star/Mines of Moria.) They now must face an overwhelming number of (Stormtroopers/Orcs). Things get really tough in there. A bridge over a seemingly bottomless chasm must be crossed, but it looks like the bridge is out!

Everyone nearly escapes the (Death Star/Mines of Moria) but (Obi Wan/Gandalf) stays behind, sacrificing himself in a fight against the evil (Darth Vader/Balrog). In this fight, the good guy uses a weapon composed of blue light while the bad guy uses a weapon composed of red light.

Finally our heroes make it to the lush, green sanctuary of (Yavin/Lothlorien.) Here, they make preparations for the final battle of the story.

The story ends with one final battle, where someone close to our hero doesn't make it (Biggs Darklighter/Boromir).

Thus ends our story. Don't worry; I doubt that the next two will have so much in common. I mean, what are the chances that both second stories will involve our hero separating from the rest to trudge through swamps with a little green guy who talks funny?

Of course even if it is something like that, it's not possible that both third stories will have our hero going into the bad guy's main fortress to face him while the armies of Good fight the armies of Evil outside. I'm sure it's nothing like that.

That's stupid - both stories follow a classic myth/hero story-type. Any English major (I'm not one) can tell you all about that sort of thing.

I can tell you one thing - no artist is truly "original" the way these fanboys think they are. Every single artist borrows from the past and puts his spin on it - that's just the nature of art, movies included. Of course there's a LOTR influence on Star Wars, but to say that it's a blatant ripoff is ignorant and reeks of fanboyism.

That's stupid - both stories follow a classic myth/hero story-type. Any English major (I'm not one) can tell you all about that sort of thing.

I can tell you one thing - no artist is truly "original" the way these fanboys think they are. Every single artist borrows from the past and puts his spin on it - that's just the nature of art, movies included. Of course there's a LOTR influence on Star Wars, but to say that it's a blatant ripoff is ignorant and reeks of fanboyism.

Exactly. There are only about 14 or 15 stories (if that much) that exist in the world, and every film or written work revolves around them. Anyone trying to say otherwise . . . well, they're wrong.

Moreover, filmmakers will often purposefully have parts in their films which have a good likeness to other films or stories . . . their way of paying homage to someone's work they admire.

oh, and I wasn't an english major either! ;)

while the story structures are similar, so are MANY books/movies

I dont see how you can possibly say its a rip off when one movie is about a stupid ring, and the other movie is about a boy trying to rescue his father from the evil that consumed him many years ago

Read a little bit of Joseph Campbell's stuff, or one of his "students", Christopher Vogler, to find out that this whole " one-stole-from-the-other" theory is out to lunch.

They are simply two mythic-based tales that JUST happen to have similar themes. Sounds to me like the very old, very tired "penis-envy" debate all over again.

Why, oh why, does it HAVE TO BE one over the other........cannot they both be enjoyed for what they are??

thank you arrow... just enjoy them...

The only thing LotR has over SW is.. it came first, that's it!

I love this part:

There is only one love interest, but after all is said and done, she isn't really interested in our hero at all. It turns out, she's more interested in (Han Solo/Aragorn)

lol.. cause you know... I thought she wanted Frodo @hmmm@

well, up until 12 months ago, I never had seen the any of the LOTR movies nor read any of the books. I had tried explaining to them that Lucas got his inspiration from old ww2 movies, flash gorden and greek mytholigy stories but they still believed lucas stole from tolken.

well, up until 12 months ago, I never had seen the any of the LOTR movies nor read any of the books. I had tried explaining to them that Lucas got his inspiration from old ww2 movies, flash gorden and greek mytholigy stories but they still believed lucas stole from tolken.

Who cares? They're obviously the kind of nit-picking dorks that give people who actually enjoy these movies for what they are a bad name.

Life's too short to argue about something as trivial as this.

Who cares? They're obviously the kind of nit-picking dorks that give people who actually enjoy these movies for what they are a bad name.

Life's too short to argue about something as trivial as this.

Amen. There's a difference between enjoying something and obsessing over it.

Kenny it's not a rip off in any way shape or form. I have read the tolkin books since I was 14 and I have read them many times. It's fantasy plain ansd simple a good vs evil story line like most storys. and ANH, ESB, ROTJ, and TPM were all out before any of the Lord of the rings movies.

If you disect things long enough you will find similaritys but in no way are they rip offs.

Kenny it's not a rip off in any way shape or form. I have read the tolkin books since I was 14 and I have read them many times. It's fantasy plain ansd simple a good vs evil story line like most storys. and ANH, ESB, ROTJ, and TPM were all out before any of the Lord of the rings movies.

If you disect things long enough you will find similaritys but in no way are they rip offs.

I know, I had said the same thing before I saw the movies. I did see other simalrities that the lotr people showed me. for instance, (bare with me, I cant remember the LOTR names) when smiegal tells the hobit to go into the cave is one (yoda and luke on dagabah) , the invasion of the castle with the armed elephants (at-at's), the white wizard (obi wan). these were just some of the examples they gave me where as lucas had stolen from the lotr's novels.

SNAP!!

CRACKLE!!!

lol thats a funny read!

& even if its true he ripped it off well enough that quite simply I couldn't give a rats ass! @loll@

oh yea, heres something funny, both "rings" have little midgets that want them @loll@

I know, I had said the same thing before I saw the movies. I did see other simalrities that the lotr people showed me. for instance, (bare with me, I cant remember the LOTR names) when smiegal tells the hobit to go into the cave is one (yoda and luke on dagabah) , the invasion of the castle with the armed elephants (at-at's), the white wizard (obi wan). these were just some of the examples they gave me where as lucas had stolen from the lotr's novels.

Kenny everyone has told you that your wrong on this. If you choose to believe what LOTR people tell you then Nothing anyone says will change your mind. Just Remember if Lucas did what you say they claim he did then where is the LAW SUIT kenny? There has never been one that I ever heard of and I know that would make the evening news and local papers if it had ever happend.

Did you ever stop to think Tolkin might have ripped off someone elses ideas at one time? His stories are like so many others out there.

Lucas always said he was inspired by Samuri films and war stories and that's where Star wars came from. You are intitled to your oppinion Kenny but where so may do not agree with you why keep debating it.

Just let it go.

there would not be any law suit because starwars is so totaly different in shape & form that it does not matter... thats why wallmarts can have "armada megatrons" colored brown with a new head ;)

Star Wars: A New Hope is modeled after the Japanese movie "The Hidden Fortress".

That is all.

You're right.

It is also heavily influenced by John Ford's film The Searchers and Lucas also seems to have been influenced by Isaac Asimov's and Frank Herbert's science fiction stories as well.

I think Star Wars: A New Hope is an original tale in its film form, but the parallels between it and Dune are amazing.

I am not sure, but I think Frank Herbert and/or his estate tried to sue Twentieth-Century Fox and/or Lucasfilm at the time.