Darth Vader Is Not The Same To Me Anymore :(

Sagat

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but in the sense that the change was for the better. Before I thought he went evil strictly for power but in ROTS we see it intially started out with wanting to save his wife. It really makes him a tragic figure as he had potiental to be the greatest force user in the galaxy but then thanks to the duel he ends up losing it. Also he has 20 years to harden and become the badass in the OT so its all good that he shows emotions when he's in the suit in ROTS :)

No. All the killing is what made him a BAD guy. Bad guys are supposed to kill and such.

Vader is the kind of bad guy that you do not want to piss off. Also remember, there is a 20 year span between ROTS and ANH so that confused kid turns into a confident sith lord.

The only disturbing thing is that lame ass

"Nooooooooooo" at the end.. That could have been done so much better.

I thought ti was a perfect fit, Vader had to become evil at some point, and evil starts out very small before completely altering his personality, it was a gradual procession, and it shows that it was Anakin's own unraveling that caused him to become Lord Vader.

I don't like the portrayal of Anakin as it was done in the last two episodes either. Hard to keep any regard for Vader as a "cool" bad guy after seeing Justin Timberlake play him! <_<

Everything was thrown together too fast and Anakin displayed NO quality traits as anyone who I would even care about or cared if they were ever to be saved from the darkside. When Vader revealed himself to his son, in ROTJ, I thought "wow...he's a pretty good MAN afterall, just possessed by the darkside.

I sensed NONE of that from this Justin Timberlake looking BOY, and it's a shame, as it definitely ruins my earlier perception of all that must have been BEFORE the prequels.

I hated Yoda in the earlier movies, but at least these prequels gave me a more POSITIVE opinion of him now. He was very cool in these last two episodes. :) Obi-Wons younger self was done very well also.

Throwing Chewbacca in like they did was lame and unnecessary and only trying to capitalize on the popularity of yet another character from the original trilogy.

Well George Lucas always said that Darth Vader was a very sad character and was simply misinterpreted by most people. Thus, he geared the prequels towards showing his fall to the dark side as tragic and bringing out his confusion and sadness more than his lust for power or ruthlessness.

Revenge of the Sith was Awesome, we already new from Return of the Jedi that deep down inside Vader was a softy. A milky white pasty dude who used to be Justin Timberlake. Whats the problem?

ROTS made me see Vader as a tougher character then the original trulogy did. After just recenty watching the OT, Vader isn't the bada$$ people make him out to be. What does he do that's so bada$$? Kills a couple of people? He killed way more people on his transformation to a Sith then he ever did in the OT.

Maybe I am wrong about how evil he is because I fell asleep during ESB and ROTJ, but the worst I saw him do was kill a couple of Commanders for the Empire and cut his sons hand off.

It's only in HOW it was done! Obviously we all know it had to happen, but recognizing it's only a movie, and it took acting by "actors" to bring it to life, is what I'm talking about.

Bad choice of actor for the role of Anakin and bad writing for his character. I know a lot of troubled youths who turn to the "darkside" so-to-speak and they ALL have redeeming qualities inside them somewhere, and it's enough to really care about them, and hope they straighten up and grow out of it or recognize it's destructive nature.

This was what was to happen for Anakin as Vader, but the way Anakin was done was very poor and I didn't like him much at all and can't believe he was even able to snag himself a hot chick to begin with. He was so willing to tamper with the darkside because his love for her was so strong, and he wanted to be able to save her from his terrible dream of her dying, yet upon seeing Obi-Won (his mentor and brother-like Jedi) is enough to just kill her himself?

Nawwww...he was a rotten kid and not much better as a young adult! He should have been portrayed a little older into Anakin before the darkside took over. It all seemed too rushed and forced.

Hey...has anyone seen HARDWARE WARS? ^_^

LINK

You can't believe the Anakin they picked can score with a hot chick but you say a few posts earlier that he is like Justin Timberlake who can ALMOST have any woman on the planet....Yeah, good reasoning... @hmmm@

You know what I learned from all of this crap?

YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYBODY.

If you do not like his transformation or the actor who played him simply do not watch the movies anymore. Nuff said.

It does no good to rant about anything because honestly it was never our decision on how he as written to go to the dark side or whom was chosen to portray him.

Accept it and move on.

Myself and countless others loved the films.. And countless others hate it.

C'est la vie.

Maybe it's just me, but the main point of all three prequels was to make us like Anakin and feel bad when he does turn. I think the old saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" really is what the overall story is about too. The two problems I have with all three prequels is that TPM didn't make us just love Anakin as a child (which it was suppose to do) and AotC didn't convince me of the love between Padme and Anakin. But if you look at what Lucas was going for over how it was carried out, he got the job done. You see that Anakin was trying to do what he thought was the right thing and then he snapped. I guess if Palp hasn't succeeded is he plans, Anakin could have pleaded temp insanity.

Maybe it's just me, but the main point of all three prequels was to make us like Anakin and feel bad when he does turn. I think the old saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" really is what the overall story is about too. The two problems I have with all three prequels is that TPM didn't make us just love Anakin as a child (which it was suppose to do) and AotC didn't convince me of the love between Padme and Anakin. But if you look at what Lucas was going for over how it was carried out, he got the job done. You see that Anakin was trying to do what he thought was the right thing and then he snapped. I guess if Palp hasn't succeeded is he plans, Anakin could have pleaded temp insanity.

Methinks you just hit the nail on the head.

After ROTS, Darth Vader is not the same to me anymore :(

He used to be this cool Bad guy who later turns good before he dies.

Now after ROTS this has all changed for me. To me now he just feels like a confused kid, not some ultra cool Sith. Plus I can never see a kid actually want to buy a Darth Vader toy after this movie, since he killed all of those kids and choked his wife.............that's not a cool bad guy.......at least anymore.

Anyone else feel the same way?

The difference is that in ROTS he is in his twenties in the OT he

is a middle aged adult, big difference. You didn't expect Vader to be

evil from birth did you? At some point didn't you reason that he had a

childhood and that would eventually mold him into the character he became. He didn't just turn good before he died for it was always within him, he just had to let go of his hate.

Vader is unlike Darth Maul, because he was trained specifically to be a weapon of the darkside, the darkside was all he knew, Vader on the other hand wasn't, he was just mislead and became corrupted which of course is more tragic.

You can't believe the Anakin they picked can score with a hot chick but you say a few posts earlier that he is like Justin Timberlake who can ALMOST have any woman on the planet....Yeah, good reasoning... @hmmm@

Should I be embarrassed or what? If I don't find a Justin Timberlake looking dude to be attractive, is that wrong of me? @lol@

How long did it really take for you to learn that crap again? @hmmm@

I figured that one out (in life) a loooong time ago, about almost ANYTHING! ;)

If you do not like his transformation or the actor who played him simply do not watch the movies anymore. Nuff said.

It does no good to rant about anything because honestly it was never our decision on how he as written to go to the dark side or whom was chosen to portray him.

Accept it and move on.

C'est la vie.

How does that contribute to the discussion here as we want to discuss the movie or movies? Are you saying if we don't like something about the movie we're not allowed to post it here and share those opinions with others unless it's nothing but positive?

I agree with the original posters feeling on the Darth Vader thing and you DON'T, just accept the fact that not everybody has the same opinions on such a grand movie as this and move on, get it over it, or add your own 2 cents on the matter as to why you disagree, in a normal polite manner as such discussions should be anyway.

You seem to be trying to turn the open discussion here into an argument or something disruptive to your personal enjoyment. You don't like the comments being made about Anakin Skywalker, then don't read them anymore...nuff said? ;)

I didn't like Anakin until the Clone Wars cartoon and ROTS. Then, after loving ROTS, I watched AOTC, and realized Anakin wasn't all THAT lame in it. I like Vader more now. Instead of being the guy in a black suit that would F you up, he's now a tragic character that has meaning.

Where was anybody for Anakin, huh? He needed special attention, they kept telling him great he was, yet didn't have the extra time to put into his training. He should have been put with Yoda, but the council was too busy fighting the war for Palpatine.

He already had a great deal of emotion and desire for companionship. When they took him, he had the attatchment to his mother. But because the Jedi are trained to be "emotionless" (a goal NONE of them achieve, BTW) and THEY didn't have the mom attatchment, they never understood what he was going through, so they couldn't advise him. In searching for that void, he put all his desires into Padme, making ANOTHER huge emotional bond the Jedi could never understand.

They constantly barked orders at him, yet never cared to illustrate HOW to achieve these goals. "Do this, Don't do that", but never how, or why.

They used him as a total tool.

"Become a Jedi, because WE need you to save us!"

"Don't get married, because WE say so."

"Spy on your friend, for US."

"You can work for us, but you're not really one of us, Qui-Gon invited you to the party, not us."

"If Palpatine IS a Sith, THEN you earn our trust"

And Obi-Wan always just ordering him, not truly bonding.

WTF? On top of having the one true love of his life doubting him, Palpatine guiding his emotions, and seeing countless war for 3 years of his formative life straight, No WONDER the guy bit the hand that fed.

And people say he turned too quickly. Whatever. Alot of time passes between and during these films. Plus, he'd just helped kill the head of the Jedi council in a moment of greed, there WAS no going back.

Accept it and move on.

C'est la vie.

I got a better idea, don't come into this thread.... nuff said.

I thought Hayden Christinson OWENED the role of Anakin, he did a hell of a job.

If Lucas' goal was to make him a whiney mommas boy...he did the role perfectly! ;)

Here's a question I have....

Knowing the character of Darth Vader now, as played by this Timberlake hunk of boy (;)) and how immature and whiney he STILL was at the time of his evolution over to the darkside....where would the passion for good have remained in him, to have been drawn out by Luke, in ROTJ?

He killed the one he loved MOST of all, knowing she was carrying his child even, so how could a son, he's never known or cared about EVER, tug at his heartstrings enough to make him return to good?

Who the hell is LUKE compared to the love and relationship he had with Padame?

My contention with the vader we've seen in the prequels, is the lack of anything redeeming in even Anakin before the darkside took over. Hell, even Vader demonstrated SOME level of professionalism and leadership in his evil ways in working for the emperor! @lol@