Aquaman´s Hand

AFC34

He was chained to a rock along with his infant son. He managed to get his left free, but couldn't get his right free, the boulder they were chained to was also being pushed into a lava vent so time was a issue. He made the choice to cut off the hand to save his son and himself...along with to get revenge on his brother that put him in the situation to start with.

happened in Enemy Below. Good episode, really made sure that people knew that Aquaman wasn't some weak character that could just talk to fish and breathe underwater.

Well, in the comics it was eaten by piranhas as he battled someone (forget who) on a river bank. He then replaced his hand with a harpoon...which was later replaced by a magical braclet (I think) that formed a water hand.

On the JL cartoon it's as Silverbolt explained.

The way it was done in the animated series was much better really. How could pirahas eat his hand when he is the King of the Seas and can command all sea life. This flew in the face of established history and was one of the stupidest things ever done to the character. At least the cartoon version makes some sense, though I do wonder, if he could chop through his super-tough flesh and bones, why coudn't he cut through the chains themselves?

I like the water hand a lot. It adds some powers to the character while restoring him to his classic, non-brooding psychopath state. I wish they'd go ahead and update hm in the cartoon.

The whole pirhana thing was that Aquaman could talk to fish but couldn't control them and that's why Charybdis shoved his hand into the river full of pirhana (fish who don't like to follow orders). They ate his hand.

I guess the writers are playing with the misconception of pirhanas eating anything. In reality, they do eat meat, but only if it is injured(they smell the blood and go for it.) Unless Aquaman had blood stains on his glove, the pirhanas hate Aquaman or whatever, that wouldn't have happened.

I guess the writers are playing with the misconception of pirhanas eating anything.  In reality, they do eat meat, but only if it is injured(they smell the blood and go for it.)  Unless Aquaman had blood stains on his glove, the pirhanas hate Aquaman or whatever, that wouldn't have happened.

Pirhanas don't eat meat unless its injured? Where'd you get that from? Pirhanas are predatory creatures and will kill or eat, regardless if what they're eating is injured or bleeding. If they are hungry or angered, they feed. @smilepunch@

The piranha thing was writer Peter David's attempt to make Aquaman cool early in his run. Or, at least what a 45 year old comic writer thinks kids would think is cool. "Ooh, a hook! Now I'll overlook my previous dislike for the character!"

He's the same guy that made the Hulk smart, and when the Hulk got mad he turned into human Bruce Banner, who was dumb and out of control. Cool twist.

Not.

The piranha thing was writer Peter David's attempt to make Aquaman cool early in his run. Or, at least what a 45 year old comic writer thinks kids would think is cool. "Ooh, a hook! Now I'll overlook my previous dislike for the character!"

He's the same guy that made the Hulk smart, and when the Hulk got mad he turned into human Bruce Banner, who was dumb and out of control. Cool twist.

Not.

It was actually the Editor, Kevin Dooley, who dictated that they needed to make Aquaman "cooler and edgier," just as he did to Green Lantern. PAD was just tapped to write the thing. I'm glad DC is putting ALL of that stuff behind them.

He was chained to a rock along with his infant son. He managed to get his left free, but couldn't get his right free, the boulder they were chained to was also being pushed into a lava vent so time was a issue. He made the choice to cut off the hand to save his son and himself...along with to get revenge on his brother that put him in the situation to start with.

happened in Enemy Below. Good episode, really made sure that people knew that Aquaman wasn't some weak character that could just talk to fish and breathe underwater.

If he could break the chain holding his right arm down with the strength of that arm with moderate difficulty, then wouldnt it stand to reason that breaking the other chain with the strength of BOTH arms be even easier? The other chain not breaking when the other did didnt make any real sense. The sacrifice is noble, it shouldnt logically have been neccessary in the first place. It just came across as forced.

And Peter Davids smart Hulk was the ONLY time the comic was ever interesting. Running around issue after issue in torn purple pants, doing nothing but smashing stuff and yelling "Hulk Smash" and "Hulk just wants to be left alone" got incredibly old after awhile.

The comic hasnt been near that cool since.

I guess the writers are playing with the misconception of pirhanas eating anything.  In reality, they do eat meat, but only if it is injured(they smell the blood and go for it.)  Unless Aquaman had blood stains on his glove, the pirhanas hate Aquaman or whatever, that wouldn't have happened.

Pirhanas don't eat meat unless its injured? Where'd you get that from? Pirhanas are predatory creatures and will kill or eat, regardless if what they're eating is injured or bleeding. If they are hungry or angered, they feed. @smilepunch@

I seen it on a documentary about pirhanas on the discovery channel a few years ago. They said it was a misconception that they eat meat when they see it and that they only attack if they smell blood.

He was chained to a rock along with his infant son.  He managed to get his left free, but couldn't get his right free, the boulder they were chained to was also being pushed into a lava vent so time was a issue.  He made the choice to cut off the hand to save his son and himself...along with to get revenge on his brother that put him in the situation to start with. 

happened in Enemy Below.  Good episode, really made sure that people knew that Aquaman wasn't some weak character that could just talk to fish and breathe underwater.

If he could break the chain holding his right arm down with the strength of that arm with moderate difficulty, then wouldnt it stand to reason that breaking the other chain with the strength of BOTH arms be even easier? The other chain not breaking when the other did didnt make any real sense. The sacrifice is noble, it shouldnt logically have been neccessary in the first place. It just came across as forced.

And Peter Davids smart Hulk was the ONLY time the comic was ever interesting. Running around issue after issue in torn purple pants, doing nothing but smashing stuff and yelling "Hulk Smash" and "Hulk just wants to be left alone" got incredibly old after awhile.

The comic hasnt been near that cool since.

In the show, Aquaman was in a hurry and cut off his hand since he took his precious time breaking free with the other arm and from his personality in the cartoon, this version of Aquaman seems irrational and doesn't think through with his actions.

I seen it on a documentary about pirhanas on the <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=discovery%20channel" onmouseover="window.status='discovery channel'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">discovery channel</a> a few years ago. They said it was a misconception that they eat meat when they see it and that they only attack if they smell blood.

My neighbor has one. I've seen 4 myself.

I prefer the water hand look over the hook & long hair version and the classic version. I don't think Aquaman has ever looked as good as he does now.

Anybody remember his blue outfit from the 1985/86 mini? That was a pretty cool costume, and ranks as my second favorite.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/back...04274263442%201

Jase

=w=

I seen it on a documentary about pirhanas on the <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=discovery%20channel" onmouseover="window.status='discovery channel'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">discovery channel</a> a few years ago. They said it was a misconception that they eat meat when they see it and that they only attack if they smell blood.

Not sure what he feeds it, but if he's been feeding it meat, I understand, but I heard that they hardly attack humans

Not sure what he feeds it, but if he's been feeding it meat, I understand, but I heard that they hardly attack humans

True. I only said they eat things, injured or not. @smilepunch@

Piranhas will attack based on the "scent" of blood in the water and/or due to splashing and eratic movements in the water.

I lived in the Pantanal in Brazil (largest swamp in the world) for awhile and have been fishing for them on occasion. They'd tear up your shoe if you splashed it around in the water much.

Their tearing into moving things is often what causes bleeding initially. Then, once the bleeding starts, there is usually a feeding frenzy afterwards...

If Aquaman's hand made a splash or jerky movements in water infested with piranhas, it's likely that a couple of them might bite based solely on the movement. Once the bleeding started, his hand would be gone in a matter of a few seconds depending on how many piranhas there were.

Schools of piranhas in the Pantanal have been been known to "clean" a cow in a space of less than two minutes.

Piranhas will attack based on the "scent" of blood in the water and/or due to splashing and eratic movements in the water.

I lived in the Pantanal in Brazil (largest swamp in the world) for awhile and have been fishing for them on occasion. They'd tear up your shoe if you splashed it around in the water much.

Their tearing into moving things is often what causes bleeding initially. Then, once the bleeding starts, there is usually a feeding frenzy afterwards...

If Aquaman's hand made a splash or jerky movements in water infested with piranhas, it's likely that a couple of them might bite based solely on the movement. Once the bleeding started, his hand would be gone in a matter of a few seconds depending on how many piranhas there were.

Schools of piranhas in the Pantanal have been been known to "clean" a cow in a space of less than two minutes.

Thanks for clearing that up