Attack Of The Clones In Nyc!

KENNY GUIDO

Attack of the clones

Cops & studios crack down on pirated copies of flicks

By KERRY BURKE

and CARRIE MELAGO

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Daily News reporter has no problem obtaining a pirated DVD yesterday in subway station.

One seller pulled up stakes and fled after being photographed.

Cop shows 'Star Wars' copy seized.

The dark side of the DVD counterfeiting industry felt the force of the NYPD yesterday when cops seized 1,000 pirated copies of "Star Wars: Episode III" - just 36 hours after its debut.

The illegal DVDs, selling for less than half the price of a movie ticket, were stacked nearly to the ceiling of a Harlem storage facility, alongside 40,000 other illegal disks.

Nine men were arrested during the raid, which came as bootlegged copies of the final "Star Wars" film were being sold on the streets - and online - at a remarkable pace.

"The street vendors knew to come here to pick up the DVDs," said NYPD Deputy Inspector Kevin Walsh, who oversaw the raid at American Self Storage at 9-11 W. 141st St., after nabbing several peddlers in the Bronx.

Billions of dollars in profits are bled out of the motion-picture industry by the counterfeit sales, authorities said.

"Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" raked in an estimated $16.5 million from 2,900 midnight screenings Thursday, shattering the midnight record held by "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King."

Mere hours after the film's premiere, counterfeit DVDs materialized in Chinatown, said Kori Bernards, spokeswoman for the Motion Picture Association of America.

"It's stealing. It's plain and simple theft," Bernards said. "If people keep stealing our movies, we're not going to be able to make them."

A Daily News reporter had no trouble scoring several new releases, including "Episode III," for $5 a pop in a subway tunnel below Times Square. The cost of a movie ticket at most theaters in Manhattan is at least $10.

Tyrone Coleman, 37, of Harlem bought the newest "Star Wars" film without any guilt.

"I can't even afford to go to the movies nowadays. It's $35 after a ticket, soda and food," he said. "I buy whenever the new movies come out," he explained after six women and a young girl dumped hundreds of DVDs onto an American flag-printed sheet.

The titles included a slew of new releases such as "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," "Sin City" and "Robots" - the very same movies seized by cops in Harlem during the noon raid.

The MPAA estimates movie companies lose more than $3.5billion in revenue each year because of counterfeit DVDs.

ASmith Barney study put the figure even higher, saying Internet sites that allow fans to illegally download movies and pirated DVDs cost the industry $5.4 billion a year.

But the studios and cops are fighting back, seizing more than 76 million illegal disks last year.

Movie fans who purchase the illegal DVDs are giving their cash to criminals, some of whom run international human trafficking and prostitution rings, said Marc Raimondi of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency.

"We're not talking about a mom-and-pop organization making these in some basement. It's an organized criminal element," Raimondi said. "People who think counterfeit items are a victimless crime are sorely misinformed."

Originally published on May 21, 2005

Is this really surprising to anyone?.. I mean you can download movies praticly right after they have been put out... heck some of em are even done by the guys who run the movies in the theaters... I'm surprised though that it was put out in so WIDE an release but thats about it...

Allso I love it how quickly the crack down on stuff like this when theres worse *** out there in the world going on than BOOTLEGS for *** sake :S just goes to show those with the cash are those in charge @lol@

Is this really surprising to anyone?.. I mean you can download movies praticly right after they have been put out... heck some of em are even done by the guys who run the movies in the theaters... I'm surprised though that it was put out in so WIDE an release but thats about it...

Allso I love it how quickly the crack down on stuff like this when theres worse *** out there in the world going on than BOOTLEGS for *** sake :S just goes to show those with the cash are those in charge @lol@

There are a lot of Bootleg DVDs that see a "Wide Release", Star Wars is just getting more exposure because of how big the film/series is.

Great news. Then maybe it will stop the freaking illegal aliens from coming to my store everyday to pedal their bootleg crap.

Illegal Alien: "CD, DVD?" Thats the only english words they can speak. @hmmm@

Good. Then I can stop seeing the freaking illegal aliens trying to come to my store everyday to pedal their bootleg crap.

Illegal Alien: "CD, DVD?" Thats the only english words they can speak. @hmmm@

Poor Royal @lol@ Do they try shoving the DVDs and CDs at you while saying that ?

Tyrone Coleman, 37, of Harlem bought the newest "Star Wars" film without any guilt.

"I can't even afford to go to the movies nowadays. It's $35 after a ticket, soda and food," he said. "I buy whenever the new movies come out," he explained after six women and a young girl dumped hundreds of DVDs onto an American flag-printed sheet.

What the...

$35 for ticket, soda and food?

Given that it said that tickets were $10, this means this guys spends $25 on food when he goes to the flicks.

Methinks that he doesn't go because he can't afford it, I just don't think he can squeeze into those chairs anymore...

What the...

$35 for ticket, soda and food?

Given that it said that tickets were $10, this means this guys spends $25 on food when he goes to the flicks.

Methinks that he doesn't go because he can't afford it, I just don't think he can squeeze into those chairs anymore...

He's not kidding. Stuff really is that expensive,

I went with my friend to the 1AM showing on the 20th and tickets were $10.75 each (not including the dollar we donated to some charity). We both spent $12 bucks on food. I got nachos and slushee ($11), he got popcorn and slushee ($12).

Honestly, for that price, I might as well wait and buy the DVD. If it were any other movie, I would've done so. Over the last 5 years, I dare say only a handful of films were worthy of the "movie-going experience". Bootlegging and downloading aside, these kinds of movie ticket prices just perpetuate a vicious cycle.

Ok, I used to work for a movie theater many moons ago and the theaters make money off thier concession stands: not the movies.

so, when you buy the popcorn, the soda and all that other high calorie stuff, your actually supporting the theater.

but let me tell you, I took my family out for the movie and between tickets and food, it cost me a wopping $45!

it was just me, my wife and our son.

one of the downsides of living in new york is all the high prices we have to pay for everything. :(

if it was a telesynch'd copy then it wouldn't be worth getting, esp. to try to watch it on tv or full-screen monitor lol.

i'm not sure about the $$$'s that the MPAA and Smith Barney are throwing around are nearly as accurate. i say that b/c if it's something people would rather buy the bootleg copy of than go to a theater and see, then it's probably not something they'd pay the ticket price for and go see if the alternative wasn't available, they'd just wait for it to come out as a rental and then rent & burn it themselves, or borrow from a friend, etc.