What Are Some Cartoons

They used to do this way more often than they do now... it was a real early 90's thing. I know that Bionicle began as the Lego toy and became a cartoon, right? That's the only recent one I can think of... but what were some of the older ones?

There were Street Sharks, which became a cartoon pretty quickly. Man, those guys were AWESOME, by the way...

And I know NOTHING about Transformers, so someone's gonna have to fill me in... was that a toy first, or a cartoon?

Anyway, what are some others you can come up with?

I think the toy first was more prevalent in the 80's. Nowadays a toy line needs a cartoon otherwise retailers won't gamble on it. GI Joe in the late 90's to now was probably the most succesful property without a cartoon, but some would argue that the old cartoon still counts.

Transformers was a toy first, for other toy lines in Japan like Microman and diaclone, and when sent over to America as a line by itself they decided ot make a cartoon with it. So you could argue it was a toy first and cartoon later, but it was scattered all over the place, and they weren't considered the same characters.

He-man was originally based of the Conan movies, but when Mattel saw how graphic it was they changed it to He-man, so the toys were designed first and cartooned after.

Street Sharks was a marketing rip off. It was a cartoon and toy launch at the same time, and since it was a spin off of the genre at the time (TMNT, mutated animals) they marketed it all at once to gain off an popularity before it died out.

Having a toy line lead off and turn into a cartoon is very rare, it's usually the opposite, cartoon then toy line. The cartoon has a chance to be succesful with much less of a money loss than if they went full blown into a toy line and then it died before a cartoon could come out to advertise it.

The most recent I've seen of this is that new toy line riders something. It's like vehicles with figures on it, that's starting to pop up at wal-marts. There's going to be a cartoon of that soon, dunno if it was a joint deal and the cartoon was just delayed, but I doubt it as toys take longer to make.

STREET SHARKS ARE BETTER THAN NINJA TORTIOUSES!!!

Maybe if you don't have any brains it is, or like rip offs with no imagination. It's like saying you liked Gobots more than Transformers.

Hey, Gobots were cool...

Ok, that's mainly a joke. Gobots inferior, TFs superior. But some of them really were cool...

The thing about this kind of stuff is that the lead time for a cartoon is less than it is for a toy-line--TV episodes of a given series can appear 6-12 months before a toy line arrives on store shelves.

Most of the toy-lines that have TV shows attached to them were concieved in that light--because these days broad-based marketing is what seals these deals.

Action Man is a good example of a toy-line that started before the cartoons did--the toys preceding the cartoons by about 2 years.

STREET SHARKS ARE BETTER THAN NINJA TORTIOUSES!!!

Maybe if you don't have any brains it is, or like rip offs with no imagination. It's like saying you liked Gobots more than Transformers.

Hey, Gobots were cool...

Ok, that's mainly a joke. Gobots inferior, TFs superior. But some of them really were cool...

Yeah I got nuthin against gobots except that they suck.

Seriously some of the figures were really cool, but the cartoon ruined it.

May feeling is that the Gobot vs Transforemer debate is that the Transformers cartoon had a much better story line behind it.Sunbow and Marval did a better job the Hanna-Barbara did on the Gobots cartoon.I mean Leader-1 was a wuss comared to Optimus Prime.I know the Gobots came first but I like TF better.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see there were a lot of cartoons that began as toylines here are some that I remember:

Masters Of The Universe

G.I. Joe

Transformers

Gobots

Centurions

Inhumanoids

Visionaries: Knights Of The Light

C.O.P.S.

M.A.S.K.

Sectaurs

Jem

She-Ra

My Little Pony

My Pet Monster

Mr. Potato Head

Starcom: The U.S. Space Force

Wheeled Warriors

Dino Riders

That's all I can think of.

Exo squad was as well, one of the guys who made tmnt actaully came up with the basic toy concept for those bugers :) allso don't forget barbie & cabagepach kids or whatever the heck...