How Old Is Too Old?

KENNY GUIDO

When Hasbro first relaunched the Star Wars line in the mid 90s , I met an older couple @ Toys R Us that collected action figures . They were probably in their 60s-70s .

Anyway , we started talking about the movies, etc. , & they said that they had always collected robot toys & when Star Wars came out in '77 they were just gonna pick up the droids .

They said that eventually they started buying all of the SW figs .

They even started to help me try to find the figures that I was looking for , & also gave me some tips on where I could find some of the harder to find figures in my area .

These people were really nice & I could tell they were really passionate about Star Wars/collecting .

I guess my point is that it doesnt matter how old someone is , as long as they enjoy the hobby  .

That's a really cool story.

I guess I should rephrase what I meant, since I didn't want to offend anyone, like Arrow here... When I said I thought it was weird, I just meant different - and I'm still probably going to assume that most guys buying the figures who are too old to have been kids when the OT came out are probably scalpers, but it's nice to hear that some aren't.

well, at one point when he said "parnter" I replied "oh, your boyfriend?" but he was talking so fast that he didnt hear my insult.

I never really see other collectors in the store actually... I would have loved to beat that guy. I'm sitting here getting pissed off, and I didn't even experience it. I'm glad you stood up to him.

I'm 19, and I plan to collect for the rest of my life. I love toys, they bring me a lot of happiness... but I'll shoot myself and piss on my body if I ever become like that guy.

well, once I went into the store, I quikened my pace and my hot whell buddy told me that I should have seen the other guy! he said once i was out of site, the guy started runnin down the store like a chicken without its head!

Well, the age limit is a factor, when it comes to star wars. why would someone in thier 50's collect a toy of the 70's where as it would seem that they were in their mid 20's when the movie and toys came out? Its like me collecting "HARRY POTTER" toys at my age.

lol, all my good stuff is at pogos nana! :P

we're both Peruvian I bet I can talk pogo into giving me ure stuff, for sentimental reasons :unsure: lol

that's right Synchpoo so you better be nice!

I think we should all write toy wills, and leave our figures to each other.

... and now I play the waiting game.

that's a good idea. I better start writing one. there's a lot of stuff there.

A lot of the Hot Wheels guys I see are older.

I am 34 and back in the day when SW first came out there was not really a "market" like collecting has now, so older gents did not really fool with the toys. Most of us that grew up with Star Wars seem to be between the ages of 30 and 40.. I do not really see any 50 - 60 year old guys (like HW collectors) deal with SW (unless they scalp… Like one person I know.. grrrrr.) right now. Now maybe for "Our generation" that grew up with Star Wars, older SW collectors will be more accepted and not looked down upon like a majority HW collectors are.

If that makes any sense..

Age? irrelevant. Someday we will all be old, with an attic full of StarWars stuff. Your Grand kids wont be able to figure out what the big deal is. "Gran Daddy can I open the sealed figures."

Well, the age limit is a factor, when it comes to star wars. why would someone in thier 50's collect a toy of the 70's where as it would seem that they were in their mid 20's when the movie and toys came out? Its like me collecting "HARRY POTTER" toys at my age.

Huh??

How can age even BE a factor? Some 20-something seeing the Star Wars movies back in the 70's can be just as enthralled , captivated and charmed by the films as a tyke would--and want to enjoy the film AS a child would.

If you are younger than a kid born in the `60,`70's you might not fully comprehend the impact the Star Wars movies made on North American culture. When that first movie hit the screen--it wasn't called "A New Hope"--everyone thought it was a standalone film--and it blew the collective audiences socks off. Its considered one of THE landmark films in cinema history because of way it changed cinema forever.

Star Wars coined the term "blockbuster" as it applies to movies--people were having near-religious epiphanies watching the movie. NOTHING else like had been seen before.

Some of these older folks were already adult toy collectors when the movie came out--the hobby has been around for a very long time.

There's many noted and famous adult collectors, going back decades.

Latching on to Star Wars is a natural evolutionary path for a toy collector of the era.

This is a case where if you are younger than age 35 or so, you might well be understandably ignorant of this whole thing because, well........it simply was before you were born. That's not a indictment for age discrimination--its simply that the history of things before you existed isn't as relevant to you as it is after you came on the scene. That's human--plain and simple--and its not really a fault. just bear in mind that there IS some history before all of us and it still applies to you, me and everyone else. Toy collecting has been going on for a looooooooooong time and its not (and never has been) just for kids.

So a 17 year age difference means the guy should be in his rocking chair??

Geez, talk about reverse age-discrimination--perhaps you might have a run in with a 16 year old youself?

Okay so the guy might lack social graces and all that, but how should age make a difference in that??

I'm 43 years old. If you want to criticise me at 43, then why not you at age 33? Seriously, if someone wants to hold to the idea that only children should collect toys then anyone over the age of 12-13 if out of their gourd.

Age has NOTHING to do with this.

looks like you got offended.

No, not taking offense--just wondering where the age-ism stuff is coming from.

Lot of generalaities being made and they are about as fair as calling someone in their 20's "kiddo".

There's other side to things, and they are there to be explored as well.

This is a case where if you are younger than age 35 or so, you might well be understandably ignorant of this whole thing because, well........it simply was before you were born.

I hear what you're saying, but that age group is a bit wider than what you think - EVERYONE I know when I was a kid was into Star Wars, and I was only born in '77 - that being said, I may not have seen the impact of the first movie, but I still grew up with it, arguably more so than anyone who was ten or over (or thereabouts) when it first came out. But kids my age were probably the last to actually play with the toys until they restarted the line in the 90's. So I'd extend your age group about seven or eight years, especially when toys are concerned.

But that's not too far off you buying figures for Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith.

By that argument, you should only be buying figures from the Original Trilogy.

Huh??

How can age even BE a factor? Some 20-something seeing the Star Wars movies back in the 70's can be just as enthralled , captivated and charmed by the films as a tyke would--and want to enjoy the film AS a child would.

If you are younger than a kid born in the `60,`70's you might not fully comprehend the impact the Star Wars movies made on North American culture. When that first movie hit the screen--it wasn't called "A New Hope"--everyone thought it was a standalone film--and it blew the collective audiences socks off. Its considered one of THE landmark films in cinema history because of way it changed cinema forever.

Star Wars coined the term "blockbuster" as it applies to movies--people were having near-religious epiphanies watching the movie. NOTHING else like had been seen before.

Some of these older folks were already adult toy collectors when the movie came out--the hobby has been around for a very long time.

There's many noted and famous adult collectors, going back decades.

Latching on to Star Wars is a natural evolutionary path for a toy collector of the era.

This is a case where if you are younger than age 35 or so, you might well be understandably ignorant of this whole thing because, well........it simply was before you were born. That's not a indictment for age discrimination--its simply that the history of things before you existed isn't as relevant to you as it is after you came on the scene. That's human--plain and simple--and its not really a fault. just bear in mind that there IS some history before all of us and it still applies to you, me and everyone else. Toy collecting has been going on for a looooooooooong time and its not (and never has been) just for kids.

your not much older than me so I am not saying you shouldnt collect them. you were probally 14 or 15 when the movies and toys came out and it caught your attention. believe me, im not singling you out.

its the "older" ones. much older that scare me.

But that's not too far off you buying figures for Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith.

By that argument, you should only be buying figures from the Original Trilogy.

actually, I should be MUCH OLDER since the movies took place 40 years prior to E4, 5 & 6!

Besides, I have always played/collected with star wars.

Actually I'm sure there are some people in their 20's that bought the harry potter figures, but mostly women. Harry Potter is more kiddish than Star Wars, and typically when you talk to someone who likes Harry Potter it's of the female persuasion. It's like if a 20 year old was buying the 90's Aliens figures at the time they were new. You could even factor Marvel or DC figures in there. Those 90's X-Men figures flew off shelves, and last time I checked Marvel Legends has a bigger collector cummunity than kid, same with DCD.