How Old Is Too Old?

KENNY GUIDO

Ok, I am asking this because over the past few years, Ive seen all types of ages in star wars collectors.

I am 33. I was 6 when SW came out, along with the toys. I was young enough to enjoy the toys with the movies.

Now, I dont mean to start a war again but this is what happened to me the other day:

i was at TARGET on Saturday and there was a collector there (about 50) and I remembed the last time I saw him (MAY 2ND) he wouldnt shut the f*ck up!

ok, so here he is, waiting for target to open. He began to talk to me and I was prepared for an earful. My other friend was there, too (he is a HOT WHEELS collector)

He kept telling me he was the for the target clone. I told him it came and went. he wouldnt believe me. he went in the store "name dropping" to another manager and he demanded the clone. he was told they were gone. the guy then started following me around. I couldnt shake this guy!!

finally, another friend of mine came in and the old guy ran off.

the next day (sunday) he shows up again. it was way too early to hear this guy. He started telling me he owned a store with his partner. I then called him "a scapler" as he began telling me the various market prices of the star wars toys. I told the guy that i didnt collect to "sell" and i could give a rats ass about thier after market value. he then switched stories telling me he has the "inside track" because is an "internet reporter". I asked him if it paid well.

Not much later, after callin him a scalper, he then told me he did "charity events". I asked "oh really? where?" he replied "at the flea market in valleystream". I then tore him a new ass and accused him of being a "dealer" and that myself and my friend (the hot wheel collector) didnt like dealers nor scalpers and they were the scum of the collectors world.

but he would let up. he still followed me around. i finally let him have it and told him off.

I was fortunate enough that he had not chewed my ears off. I dont know what I hated most: his constant yapping, his inability to keep his stories straight about his jobs or that he was a scalper!

I felt this guy should have been at home sitting in his rocking chair then being out buying toys!

damn

I'm 24 my self not that age has anything to do with the way you act, if someone was following me around I woulda told em to F off an long time ago :)

PS having an taser or something/showable helps :D People tend to give you an tad more space than normal heh I eagerly await to hear of you're next run in

I'm not one to judge, but it does seem a bit weird when someone's that age is collecting SW figures. It's not the age, really - it's the fact that he couldn't have grown up with Star Wars (or '80s GI Joe or TF, for that matter) like we have. Not that I think it's weird for someone to collect toys, I'd just be expecting someone that age to be more into, I don't know, vintage 12" GI Joes or maybe MEGO or something, if he was into toys.

Otherwise, I'm with you - my first instinct is scalper. If people really want to make money with toys, I wish they'd stick to the vintage carded stuff. I have no problem with people seeing that as a potential investment, but to make a measly ten bucks off a Target Clone or something is pretty lame...

I was willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt but once he started spewing out all these different stories I wasnt going to be nice. Once he told he was in it for the money, I went nuts.

the funny this is that when i told him the clones were long gone, he kept coming back despite my info. Im dying to know what internet site he works for, and how much he gets paid!

I'm 24 my self not that age has anything to do with the way you act, if someone was following me around I woulda told em to F off an long time ago :)

PS having an taser or something/showable helps :D People tend to give you an tad more space than normal heh I eagerly await to hear of you're next run in

They give you a tad more space because they think you're nuts. ;)

As for the guy, this has to be one of the most annoying scalpers I have ever heard. You can't be blamed for what you said, I would have done the same thing.

Yeah I see 50 year olds all the time scrounging the SW section alone,

I always give them the benefit of the doubt, kid's b-day or whatnot, but maybe I should think of the dark side.

So a 17 year age difference means the guy should be in his rocking chair??

Geez, talk about reverse age-discrimination--perhaps you might have a run in with a 16 year old youself?

Okay so the guy might lack social graces and all that, but how should age make a difference in that??

I'm 43 years old. If you want to criticise me at 43, then why not you at age 33? Seriously, if someone wants to hold to the idea that only children should collect toys then anyone over the age of 12-13 if out of their gourd.

Age has NOTHING to do with this.

Scientific Classifaction: Scalpus Yappus

Scalpus Yappusses are commonly known for trying to make people drop their rare and scalpable toys from annoyment.

Braches off into Oldess Scalpus Yappus and Yappus Scalpus Stupidess.

You met an Oldess Scalpus Yappus there.

PS having an taser or something/showable helps :D  People tend to give you an tad more space than normal heh  I eagerly await to hear of you're next run in

As for the guy, this has to be one of the most annoying scalpers I have ever heard. You can't be blamed for what you said, I would have done the same thing.

zapy zapy zapy!

lol hey if thats the case I wish everyone would think I'm nuts then :) I can't stand people @loll@

When Hasbro first relaunched the Star Wars line in the mid 90s , I met an older couple @ Toys R Us that collected action figures . They were probably in their 60s-70s .

Anyway , we started talking about the movies, etc. , & they said that they had always collected robot toys & when Star Wars came out in '77 they were just gonna pick up the droids .

They said that eventually they started buying all of the SW figs .

They even started to help me try to find the figures that I was looking for , & also gave me some tips on where I could find some of the harder to find figures in my area .

These people were really nice & I could tell they were really passionate about Star Wars/collecting .

I guess my point is that it doesnt matter how old someone is , as long as they enjoy the hobby :) .

PS having an taser or something/showable helps :D  People tend to give you an tad more space than normal heh   I eagerly await to hear of you're next run in

zapy zapy zapy!

lol hey if thats the case I wish everyone would think I'm nuts then :) I can't stand people @loll@

I always knew you were reclusive.

When Hasbro first relaunched the Star Wars line in the mid 90s , I met an older couple @ Toys R Us that collected action figures . They were probably in their 60s-70s .

Anyway , we started talking about the movies, etc. , & they said that they had always collected robot toys & when Star Wars came out in '77 they were just gonna pick up the droids .

They even started to help me try to find the figures that I was looking for , & also gave me some tips on where I could find some of the harder to find figures in my area .

These people were really nice & I could tell they were really passionate about Star Wars/collecting .

I guess my point is that it doesnt matter how old someone is , as long as they enjoy the hobby  .

That's a really cool story.

I guess I should rephrase what I meant, since I didn't want to offend anyone, like Arrow here... When I said I thought it was weird, I just meant different - and I'm still probably going to assume that most guys buying the figures who are too old to have been kids when the OT came out are probably scalpers, but it's nice to hear that some aren't.

I guess my point is that it doesnt matter how old someone is , as long as they enjoy the hobby  .

That's a really cool story.

I guess I should rephrase what I meant, since I didn't want to offend anyone, like Arrow here... When I said I thought it was weird, I just meant different - and I'm still probably going to assume that most guys buying the figures who are too old to have been kids when the OT came out are probably scalpers, but it's nice to hear that some aren't.

So true, so true. It is always cool to shoot the breeze with others who like SW and especially SW figs as much as I do. One time me and some pals went to MegaCon in Orlando, and me and one of pals shared a room. We talked SW all night, trying to solve Ep3 based on what we knew already fromt the previous movies. That is one memory I'll never forget:)

Btw, I'm 28 and as far as collecting goes I'm going as strong as ever. Once I'm finished with school, and once cash comes in steadily, my passion for this hobby can only increase - that is unless I wind up having kids, lol I'll just buy toys for them instead :)

I never really see other collectors in the store actually... I would have loved to beat that guy. I'm sitting here getting pissed off, and I didn't even experience it. I'm glad you stood up to him.

I'm 19, and I plan to collect for the rest of my life. I love toys, they bring me a lot of happiness... but I'll shoot myself and piss on my body if I ever become like that guy.

me too I'm getting an double plot/sized coffin/cremated put in the coffin (in an jar or somethng) & then have my select fave toys putin with me haha! take that death!

lol, all my good stuff is at pogos nana! :P

we're both Peruvian I bet I can talk pogo into giving me ure stuff, for sentimental reasons :unsure: lol

So a 17 year age difference means the guy should be in his rocking chair??

Geez, talk about reverse age-discrimination--perhaps you might have a run in with a 16 year old youself?

Okay so the guy might lack social graces and all that, but how should age make a difference in that??

I'm 43 years old. If you want to criticise me at 43, then why not you at age 33? Seriously, if someone wants to hold to the idea that only children should collect toys then anyone over the age of 12-13 if out of their gourd.

Age has NOTHING to do with this.

looks like you got offended.