#1 Reason I Dont Go To Sw Conventions.............

KENNY GUIDO

"Hear you nothing that I say?"

The "mysterious" robed figure manipulating things from behind the scenes? Amadeus.

Jesus Christ, are you listening to yourself? You really think that's the first time that type of character has been used? I can think of one right off the top of my head - the Wizard of Oz, and that was written, what, 80 or 90 years ago?

Lucas did do the SW movies very well, but in reality he is not the best writer in the world, and has "borrowed" heavily from other movies, books, etc.

He's not the best writer in the world, but that has nothing to do with borrowing ideas and being influenced by other writers. EVERY storyteller or artist borrows other ideas! No one is ever completely original (especially Tolkien) - it's impossible.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont care whatt any one says, star wars was not a copy.

No, Star Wars is definitely NOT a copy of any other film or story, but it IS inspired by other works.

That doesn't diminish it in the slightest.

A bag of cookies bets that 90% of them are virgins, live at home with their mom, and work at comic shops.

Heh, when I used to attend conventions, there were more than a few of "those kinds of fans" that got plenty "lucky", in that regards.

There were more than a few of the mousy-type women , and yes quite a few guys, who'd be ( or profess to be) chaste during the rest of the year, and then.....ahem................catch up all at once in the 2-3 days of the convention.

Oy vey, virgins they be NOT!

I tried explaining it that way but the die-hard LOTR guys had me against a wall. They explained to me that Tolkein's books came out in the 50's and George's movies were released much later. They said Lucas's movies were a direct rip off of his books. I never read the books so he I didnt really know what I was talking about. I never even saw the LOTR TRILOGY movies until the past few months. I wish I had the list still but the simalarities were so exact that it wasnt even funny.

Yes, I had them there when I had told them that if it werent for lucas, the LOTR movies wouldnt have come out the way they did (the one tell-tale sign of Lucas is when someone is falling to thier death and you would hear the high pitched "ARRRRRREEGGHH!")

Well, on one hand, I suppose its a arguement for being semi-well-read, on the other its one that these LOTR fellows are making their own assumptions about the inspiration.

Lucas cites Campbell numerous times in interviews, and Campbell cites Lucas AND Star Wars several times in his book the Power of Myth.

Star Wars is a classic re-dressed root-story, but then so is Lord of the Rings--both follow the pattern of mythic story structure.

Its easy to infer one grew out of the other, because one came before the other--the thing is that such a idea is meaningless because they are both valid stories on their own.

Heck, if one wants to draw comparisons, watch the 60's Star Trek series, then pop in Forbidden Planet and tell me there's no similarities.

Well i'm not going into bashing just gonna put in my 2 cents on how i see it all. I work in a trade, construction sites, for 10yrs now been doing that, have lots of friends on the sites and in the trade, and shoot i'll be honest, i hear it all the time when they see me receiving packages in camp when i'm out of town, they're like what's that?? I open it, they see a new unleashed fig or someother toy for my collection. Some say what a loser, how old are you and all that, i just shake my head and am like, "no lie" you got your crackpipe, i have my toys :) Do i care what someone says about what i do?? collect?? Hell no. It's my life.

As for people dressing up for the cons?? What the hell it's only a 2 or 3 day event, people are having fun, as it was put cosplay. I'm headed to animathon later on this year, and i know many people there will be dressed up for hte show. I have to admit i'm impressed at the work that goes into the costumes, it's cool to see it all the time at conventions.

Myself i bought the talking vader mask and i'm going to buy another one eventually, the first one i'm going to repaint into a green and gold with the Edmonton Eskimos logo on each side of the helmet. I will be wearing that to the Eskies games all season long. Also attaching an Eskie flag to my Vader Lightsaber. Why?? Same reason Green bay fans wear cheese heads, for fun.

We all collect, and people go to conventions cause they love what the series, be it Star Wars, Star Trek, Inuyash gives them, satisfaction, it's their way to show respect and love for the show. Isn't it said Imitation is the best form of flattery??

When it comes down to it, it's all good.

"Hear you nothing that I say?"

The "mysterious" robed figure manipulating things from behind the scenes? Amadeus.

Jesus Christ, are you listening to yourself? You really think that's the first time that type of character has been used? I can think of one right off the top of my head - the Wizard of Oz, and that was written, what, 80 or 90 years ago?

Lucas did do the SW movies very well, but in reality he is not the best writer in the world, and has "borrowed" heavily from other movies, books, etc.

He's not the best writer in the world, but that has nothing to do with borrowing ideas and being influenced by other writers. EVERY storyteller or artist borrows other ideas! No one is ever completely original (especially Tolkien) - it's impossible.

My point is that Lucas isn't exactly coughing up original material, because he's not. His best skill is directing special effects shots, not producing stories.

Get defensive and make excuses all you want to; it's not impossible for people to write original material if they apply themselves.

My point is that Lucas isn't exactly coughing up original material, because he's not. His best skill is directing special effects shots, not producing stories.

Get defensive and make excuses all you want to; it's not impossible for people to write original material if they apply themselves.

I'm not making excuses - I'm stating a fact. There is a finite number of story-types out there, and it's VERY small. Every single story, whether it be in movie or book form, falls into these categories and are similar in many respects, one of the most important being characters.

Every single successful artist has taken ideas from the past, and put his own spin on them. That's what George Lucas has done, and that's what J.R.R. Tolkien has done as well. Neither were truly "original" as you put it, because if you break down their stories into their most basic components, you'll find that they're basically the same as countless others.

59.jpg

Lucas has said he has taken many of the concepts from SW from old Japaneese Samuri movies. I rememebr a few years back they had this big Star Wars exhibit at the Smithsonian and they showed this dcumentry video on Lucas where he talked about that.

Lucas has said he has taken many of the concepts from SW from old Japaneese Samuri movies. I rememebr a few years back they had this big Star Wars exhibit at the Smithsonian and they showed this dcumentry video on Lucas where he talked about that.

yea, I remember him saying that, too byut the LOTR fans kept saying that he didnt mention him "stealing" from LOTR because he didnt want to seem as if he was being "unoriginal" and a theif.

alsa, there were way too many LOTR fans in comparison to the SW fans on this site............

Yep, both Yojimbo and Kakushi toride no san akunin have influences on Star Wars.

Saddest part is not one of them could come up with a decent comeback against triumph if they're life depended on it. But i did enjoy the vulcan giving the finger haha.

Saddest part is not one of them could come up with a decent comeback against triumph if they're life depended on it. But i did enjoy the vulcan giving the finger haha.

Well, I doubt many could go toe to toe with Triumph. Even Eminem couldn't take it, and tried to beat him up at that awards show! What a dork...

ong i remeber watching that when it first aired. still hilarious as hell. lol