#1 Reason I Dont Go To Sw Conventions.............

KENNY GUIDO

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the subject of cons....

do people dress up as robots for the Transformers conventions?

I'm sure you've seen the pics of that fat guy in the cardboard optimus prime as almost all bot cons, oh and don't forget that guy that won 1 place in wizard magazine a few years back with a mirage costume that actually transformed!

Kenny, all I can say is that if you let these guys scare you away from cons, then I'm sorry to say that you are missing out on meeting alot of cool peopleand seeing some amazing stuff. Fandom is big enough to house casual fans like yourself and hardcore fans like the 501st.

ppl do dress up as dogs at dog conventions lol, but star wars is huge and has millions of fans, ppl just wanna get in with the fun and become there fav character, theres nothing wrong with it, and i think its stupid u dont go just cus they are there, and if your scared they might blast you, dont worry there fake guns. They dont approach you, well from past experiances they dont, and as i said before, they enjoy making the costume mostly, which takes a lot of talent.

better yet, do people dress up as thier favorite canine at dog conventions?

They don't have to, I think it pretty much common knowledge that most dog owners resemble their pets @loll@

What's wrong with dressing up as a character?  I think it's admirable to be able to do this despite people making fun of them all of the time.  People dress up in Civil War costumes and do battlefield reenactments ( I used to too) so what is the big deal?  I think some of the comments about this are pretty harsh.  These guys are doing what they like even with jerks teasing them all the time.  Leave them alone and grow up.

Arch

civil war was history. star wars is fictional.

I have to agree with this one. There is a fine line between fact and fiction. I don't see anything wrong with dressing up as a character. When you start actng like that character or believe you are that character, then there is a problem. Consider this: In high school and college, you can actual take classes on factual history. I have yet to see a school that offers classes such as "Star Wars 101" or "Fett History". Again, dressing up is OK, but it can go TOO far.

I'm sure you've seen the pics of that fat guy in the cardboard optimus prime as almost all bot cons, oh and don't forget that guy that won 1 place in wizard magazine a few years back with a mirage costume that actually transformed!

Kenny, all I can say is that if you let these guys scare you away from cons, then I'm sorry to say that you are missing out on meeting alot of cool peopleand seeing some amazing stuff. Fandom is big enough to house casual fans like yourself and hardcore fans like the 501st.

AGREED!!!

three of my favorite costums at C3.. there was another, but I didn't have charged batteries at the time...

#3(only 3 cause I've seen them time and time again)

C3_H_L2.jpg

#2(the likeness is scary)

C3_Jango.jpg

C3_Anakin.jpg

There was an awesome looking EP3 Obiwan, and I wish I got a pic of him and the Anakin dueling.. that would have been awesome!!!

dude that Anakin rocks!

hey now, theres nothing wrong with dressn up as long as

A its done well

b you're not some ugly 500 + pound person.... you can't be that & have an well done outfit unless you're tryn to be jaba lol...

C You only save it for the con :)

Dressn up for an convention = a ok in my book

I must say that I've gained some new opinions of certain people from this thread. These people make conventions more fun. They make the kids ecstatic. They add so much to an otherwise over-packed, rip-offs on the dealer floor, no really good new product to speak of convention.

You call them nerds, you call me a nerd. I don't dress up in customs but if I had one I would. Anyone bashing here should be ashamed of themselves. Look at me, I have a room in my house dedicated to GI Joe. I write stories with little toys from the eighties, I go to TRU on my lunch break everyday, I spend so much money on my hobby that I could have bought a yacht by now, I spend hours and hours working on my website away from my wife, each week, so I can bring my hobby to people in the form of my website. To have some of those same people turn around and insult others for dressing up as their favorite character at a convention sickens me.

and loosers

dont ya mean "losers"?

wow... I misspelled a word.. I'm glad you caught that.. now my life is complete... thank you, you know it really is sad that you're coming off with this, "I'm better than this SW fan attitude"... like there's levels of SW fans that are cooler or better than the rest, and you sit on top??? I'm sorry, but after your comments in this thread, if there was one, you'd be on the very bottom.. get over yourself... big deal, you didn't go, I'm glad you didn't, cause while everyone was applauding those two guys who DID dress up as The Rankor Keeper... you would have been back in the corner by yourself snickering at them.

yes, I would have been laughing at them, as I am now!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

@good night@ you just keep on diging :)

What I find funny is that one guy in front dressed as Captain Typho.  I mean, who would want to be him?

Anyway, more power to these guys if thats waht they want to do.  They take it a bit more seriously than some of us, but there's nothing wrong with that.  They aren't hurting anybody or anything.

That IS Captain Typho.. the Actor that played him ;)

Oh, well, now I don't know if I should feel better for him, or worse.

I do agree though, people who do it everyday, or go out of there way to LOOK like that certain actor are a bit creepy .... as long as they just save it for certain events though there ok in my books :) Hell I'd love to go as an clone trooper if I had an outfit my self...

C You only save it for the con :)

This is what seperates Trekkies from Star Wars fans, I've never seen a Wookie, a Stormtrooper or a Jedi outside of a Con or Event (i.e. Movie release)

I've seen losers weraing Starfleet uniforms shopping at Wal-Mart and Klingons at McDonalds (Anyone who speaks Klingon should be beaten with a lead pipe untill blood comes out their ears in my opinion)

STAR WARS FANS CAN TURN THEIR GEEK SIDE OFF

Remember a few years back? The Trekkie who wanted to wear her (his? I can never tell with some of them) Starfleet uniform WHILE SHE SERVED ON A JURY!!

salute.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/US/fringe/9603/03-14/trek.html

Jesus people, leave your hobby at home sometimes.....

I must say that I've gained some new opinions of certain people from this thread. These people make conventions more fun. They make the kids ecstatic. They add so much to an otherwise over-packed, rip-offs on the dealer floor, no really good new product to speak of convention.

You call them nerds, you call me a nerd. I don't dress up in customs but if I had one I would. Anyone bashing here should be ashamed of themselves. Look at me, I have a room in my house dedicated to GI Joe. I write stories with little toys from the eighties, I go to TRU on my lunch break everyday, I spend so much money on my hobby that I could have bought a yacht by now, I spend hours and hours working on my website away from my wife, each week, so I can bring my hobby to people in the form of my website. To have some of those same people turn around and insult others for dressing up as their favorite character at a convention sickens me.

Im not calling anyone here a nerd. Im just like all of you here. Ive had fun with my toys as a child and Ive collected them all my life. Hell, I even have a tattoo of SNAKE EYES that I got when I joined the NYC GUARDIAN ANGELS. Im not ashamed of it at all.

I, along with many of my star wars friends/fans/collectors just think its very odd to dress up as a star wars charcter and take it too seriously.

C  You only save it for the con :)

This is what seperates Trekkies from Star Wars fans, I've never seen a Wookie, a Stormtrooper or a Jedi outside of a Con or Event (i.e. Movie release)

I've seen losers weraing Starfleet uniforms shopping at Wal-Mart and Klingons at McDonalds (Anyone who speaks Klingon should be beaten with a lead pipe untill blood comes out their ears in my opinion)

STAR WARS FANS CAN TURN THEIR GEEK SIDE OFF

Remember a few years back? The Trekkie who wanted to wear her (his? I can never tell with some of them) Starfleet uniform WHILE SHE SERVED ON A JURY!!

salute.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/US/fringe/9603/03-14/trek.html

Jesus people, leave your hobby at home sometimes.....

this is where I think STAR WARS is headed...........

trust me, its just a matter of time before we see some woman with a hair problem try to play it off as she is a die hard wookie fan.

I'm surprised that a group of adults and young adults who post on a toy message board would be so critical of a group of people who have the same interest, but choose to dress as a character for special events. It's very hypocritical.

In general, our hobby is not respected by the general public whether or not we dress up. Stopping people from dressing up will not change people's preconceived notions of toy collectors.

Frankly, it's not much different than wearing a sports jersey. When I go to a baseball game, I usually wear a jersey or a t-shirt bearing the emblem of my favorite team. When a Star Wars or Star Trek fan goes to a convention, he shouldn't be ridiculed. Wearing an outfit to work is another thing, but I would get in trouble for wearing a Yankees jersey to the office too.

For a group who understands what it's like to be ridiculed or at least looked down on for our hobby, we're very quick to be judgmental of others.

yeah i didnt know what to think when i saw the pic. you see some of these guys at SDCC too. There was a Stormtrooper last year which i thought looked cool cuz it had an american flag design on the armor that went from his right shoulder up across half his chest and to the helmet.

I also dont mind when hot chicks dress up (or down seeing as they have almost nothing on :D ) like slave leia and lara croft types

Trooping (the act of putting on armor on a random weekend and going somewhere public) is fun to do. Not only are you treated like a superstar, where everyone wants your pics and such but it can be done with total amnesty, you see once you put your helmet on, your that character, only your friends that are with you know who you are, to the general public your an icon marching down the street. Cars will honk, kids will smile, crowds of people will form, only a few unsecure punks will heckle you.