So What Was The Big Secret?

Viper Hunter

And here's something for the "faithful" to chew on: Maybe the only reason we're seeing this revival so soon is because of the outcry and outrage from the fan community? Maybe if we'd all gone along quietly, this wouldn't be happening till after the launch of Sigma Six. No way to prove that of course, and no one would admit it if it was true, but it's something to think about.

Or not. You just don't step up a timetable on that large a scale. Packaged products are usually a year after their inception date, meaning that Hasbro would have to cut their normal production time almost in half just to be putting these out now....And while that may seem like a feasible feat on the corporate end, getting the factories in China to alter their production schedule in such a manner would be no easy feat - they have other toys to produce on their schedules as well. For these figs to be seen as they are now, they would have had to have been in a near completed state around the time the hiatus was announced, not something Hasbro whipped up quicky due to fan outcry. Not only that, but in order to come after Sigma Six launches, figureing at the earliest October, then 8 months prior Hasbro would have decided to rush these out? There's no way these things would have even been finished design proposals by then, much less painted, accessorized, and packaged product by now, if your theory was true.

To the "I told you so crowd," have a cookie for your optimism, and move on - rubbing it in anyone's face isn't helping. Many of you could have just as easily been wrong.

To those still pessimistic - just relax and enjoy the line coming back. This IS full swing production, and a complete end to the hiatus.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.

wow, get home from work to see this news....

I'm still skeptical, but not as much as before. I will just have to wait for more details before I jump for joy, but this a good first step. I like the idea though, if done right. At the very least, the very thought of not having to EVER enter another Walmart again makes me giddy.

As for me eating crow? I'll admit that this move surprised me greatly, but I'll hold off on my "supper" till I actually have new product in hand. Still alot that can go wrong. Limited production run, poor quality control, limited variety, limited accessories, and of course this could be just short term.

On the plus side, this could be very good. It could mean...

No more action attack features

No more sound attack features

More characters(no need to stick to the "core character" concept)

No more shortpacks

No more shopping at Walmart

Better Accesories

Less repaints, and better paint jobs all around

More fan input

Time will tell...

I wouldn't say there'd be less repaints. I mean there is still a great cost associated with making the molds. Just about the only thing that will almost assuredly pay for itself are the Cobra army builders (and even then it's the more popular ones).

What I'm thinking is they're trying to keep interest in the line until the (possible) 25th Anniversary relaunch in 2007. If this retro packaging weren't being used for the online stuff, it would blow people away on Anniversary products. Hasbro would want that Anniversary line to be a huge deal, and what better way then to bring back the line full-on in 2007. But they'd also realize a lot of fans might not come back if 3.75" Joe was gone for a full year, and collectors were thinking the scale had been abandoned a second time, so put out just a trickle of product to keep collectors satisfied.

I think it would be ok to fill out the online series with whatever else they've got made (rest of the supposed "Robot Rebellion wave 1", Devils Due comic pack), and fill it out with retools of figures from the "Built To Rule" stuff and some repaints to round out each wave. For comic pack items, I could see them making a "visored" head for either the 82, 89 or 91 Snake-Eyes, a blonde, short haired head for 86 Hawk, and a new helmet/face mask head for 91/93 Cobra Commander.

+-MWG-+

And here's something for the "faithful" to chew on: Maybe the only reason we're seeing this revival so soon is because of the outcry and outrage from the fan community? Maybe if we'd all gone along quietly, this wouldn't be happening till after the launch of Sigma Six. No way to prove that of course, and no one would admit it if it was true, but it's something to think about.

Or not. You just don't step up a timetable on that large a scale. Packaged products are usually a year after their inception date, meaning that Hasbro would have to cut their normal production time almost in half just to be putting these out now....And while that may seem like a feasible feat on the corporate end, getting the factories in China to alter their production schedule in such a manner would be no easy feat - they have other toys to produce on their schedules as well. For these figs to be seen as they are now, they would have had to have been in a near completed state around the time the hiatus was announced, not something Hasbro whipped up quicky due to fan outcry. Not only that, but in order to come after Sigma Six launches, figureing at the earliest October, then 8 months prior Hasbro would have decided to rush these out? There's no way these things would have even been finished design proposals by then, much less painted, accessorized, and packaged product by now, if your theory was true.

Nomad,

I knew someone would post something along the lines of what you wrote, which is why I was careful to reference the Sigma realease in my suggestion. Most of us are well-aware of the time-frame it takes to produce a run of something like this, and you're right, the overall plan to sell Joes direct is certainly NOT a result of fan complaints since the hiatus announcement. This decision surely goes back a while (maybe as far back as the "insider" list of wave 8 and beyond, which seems to be at least somewhat on track).

What I'm suggesting however, is that this plan is being implemented (or at least announced) sooner than originally intended, as a form of damage control to appease a justifiably angry fan-base. There's no question that the fan response to the announced hiatus was fierce, and since that same announcement didn't offer any kind of time frame and only hyped Sigma, I'm betting the original intent was to give Sigma 6 a chance to find its footing before bringing this new scenario out. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have put out some kind of mitigating remark if they'd truly intended the "hiatus" to last just a couple of months.

I see announcment of this plan originally being saved for a big surprise at the con, with product to come after. Because of all the outright hostility and rightful dissappointment from fans, they decided to put it out there now. This way, they derail a fan boycott of the con, appease a lot of the vocal critics, and give people a reason to look more favorably at Sigma 6. I've already seen a lot of posts saying how now that 3 3/4 inch is back, they're willing to give Sigma a try, so whether or not I'm right, it's having that effect.

It could also be the much lauded "New Coke" scenario, meant to froth up fan interest the same way the Devil's Due is playing with the comic. If that's the case, then it's also worked. Buzz about Joe is at an all time high.

I've read your posts on a lot of boards and in general, respect your insights. I know you've made an effort to build relationships with people at Hasbro and generally give weight to what you say. I also understand why you can't relay everything your "connections" and hard work tell you, even though I get annoyed with the whole "I know something you don't" scene. No offense meant there, as you seem to try to handle that in as straight up and direct a manner as possible.

That's why I'd be curious as to your thoughts on why the "hiatus" was announced at all, and why there was no effort to temper that announcement for the fans, when it's clear there was never really a significant hiatus at all.

Therefore I see them using these items which had most likely already gone into production before the decision to put the 3 3/4" line on hiatus came down from the top as a test to see if there is or isnt enough demand from you all to support something like this. If sales are good then I suspect we will see more, if not then I see this return to be short lived.

That's my opinion, too. It doesn't matter how much Hasbro wants to do this. If collectors don't support it on the first go around, Hasbro isn't going to keep it going for long.

Truth be told, I think Joe is being used to test the entire system (infrastructure, procedures, etc.) for when Hasbro moves the Star Wars line over to this distribution channel after the movie hype dies down. That's where the money really is. Joe is just a good way to kick the tires of the system and offer collectors a bone in the interim.

That's not to say that they'll take Joe away if it does well. In fact, I would expect the opposite. But, I don't think there is enough of a fan base to support this line beyond a few initial waves. If there is even one or two kinks in the system (which there will be with any new venture) it will severly impact the bottom line. And, with the low sales numbers they are probably looking at from the collecting community, that would be enough to prevent much in the way of future offerings.

What I'm suggesting however, is that this plan is being implemented (or at least announced) sooner than originally intended, as a form of damage control to appease a justifiably angry fan-base. There's no question that the fan response to the announced hiatus was fierce, and since that same announcement didn't offer any kind of time frame and only hyped Sigma, I'm betting the original intent was to give Sigma 6 a chance to find its footing before bringing this new scenario out.

I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have put out some kind of mitigating remark if they'd truly intended the "hiatus" to last just a couple of months.

I see announcment of this plan originally being saved for a big surprise at the con, with product to come after. Because of all the outright hostility and rightful dissappointment from fans, they decided to put it out there now. This way, they derail a fan boycott of the con, appease a lot of the vocal critics, and give people a reason to look more favorably at Sigma 6. I've already seen a lot of posts saying how now that 3 3/4 inch is back, they're willing to give Sigma a try, so whether or not I'm right, it's having that effect.

It could also be the much lauded "New Coke" scenario, meant to froth up fan interest the same way the Devil's Due is playing with the comic. If that's the case, then it's also worked. Buzz about Joe is at an all time high.

I've read your posts on a lot of boards and in general, respect your insights. I know you've made an effort to build relationships with people at Hasbro and generally give weight to what you say. I also understand why you can't relay everything your "connections" and hard work tell you, even though I get annoyed with the whole "I know something you don't" scene. No offense meant there, as you seem to try to handle that in as straight up and direct a manner as possible.

That's why I'd be curious as to your thoughts on why the "hiatus" was announced at all, and why there was no effort to temper that announcement for the fans, when it's clear there was never really a significant hiatus at all.

What I'm suggesting however, is that this plan is being implemented (or at least announced) sooner than originally intended, as a form of damage control to appease a justifiably angry fan-base. There's no question that the fan response to the announced hiatus was fierce, and since that same announcement didn't offer any kind of time frame and only hyped Sigma, I'm betting the original intent was to give Sigma 6 a chance to find its footing before bringing this new scenario out.

Here's the point however - Sigma 6 is not supposed to hit retail until the Sept/Oct time frame. Assuming as you said that "original intent was to give Sigma 6 a chance to find its footing", then you're presuming this news wouldn't have hit until the Oct/Nov time frame, or possibly later. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. But given that time frame, I'm simply stating that there is no way this stuff was rushed from a Nov showing to now.

I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have put out some kind of mitigating remark if they'd truly intended the "hiatus" to last just a couple of months.

I think that issue is one that will continue to vex fans for a looooooong time to come.

Possibly, but I just don't get the impression that Hasbro was that concerned with a lot of those issues. A fan boycott of the Con is an MC travesty, but not neccessarily for Hasbro - and thats assuming it actually went down. While there are some hardliners who would have stuck to their guns (and agree or disagree, I respect them for it), i think most "boycotters" would have given in regardless. Appeasing vocal critics is something that Hasbro has never seemed to concern itself with, IMHO. And as far as Sigma 6 goes - the online Joe community is not who Hasbro is looking to for those sales, although you are certainly right about its effect.

From my limited experience in dealing with them, I give them more credit than that.

I've read your posts on a lot of boards

So you're the one! ;)

and in general, respect your insights. I know you've made an effort to build relationships with people at Hasbro and generally give weight to what you say. I also understand why you can't relay everything your "connections" and hard work tell you, even though I get annoyed with the whole "I know something you don't" scene. No offense meant there, as you seem to try to handle that in as straight up and direct a manner as possible.

I appreciate that, but please don't run the risk of reading everything I say as being inside info. My opinions are generally consistent with every post I made before I ever started speaking with anyone at Hasbro (if anyone feels like going back to read them all ;) ) and my contact is primarily only in my duty as a reprter for Joesightings. I'd be surprised if I was considered to be any more than another member of the media to them. As far as all that and being direct, it stems mostly from me being an unemotional military ass - so I'm hard to upset or excite.

When I can come up with something plausible in that regard, I'll be happy to share it, but I hate to share theories - only facts. While I'm generally an optimist when it comes to Hasbro, and love nearly everything they're done - the handling on the PR end was still bungled, even in my eyes.

Here's the big secret.

Wait for it...

*She's really a GUY!!!*

That's not to say that they'll take Joe away if it does well. In fact, I would expect the opposite. But, I don't think there is enough of a fan base to support this line beyond a few initial waves. If there is even one or two kinks in the system (which there will be with any new venture) it will severly impact the bottom line. And, with the low sales numbers they are probably looking at from the collecting community, that would be enough to prevent much in the way of future offerings.

I agree with you there, but it also depends on how Hasbro handles it from their end.

For example, if they handle their online "thing" like standard retail, it will fail. I agree that there simply are not enough fans/collectors to support nearly a dozen figures, 3 Adventure packs, 3 comic packs, and 4 vehicles every 3 months or so.

But, if they stagger the releases so that after the inital big wave we get 1-2 figures every month (or every other month), new comic packs every 3 months (I think those will work like that, if Hasbro keeps up the quality) and a couple new vehicles 3 times a year, they can stretch what they have and not flood us at once.

But I also think that selling to e-retailers will be beneficial in the long run by helping Hasbro move product and keep things going longer than if it was just Hasbro doing this.

(Dang, that thunderstorm looks nasty, I'd better get off the computer)

I think that sales won't have to match the amounts that they had in retail stores by any means. Chances are, they are going to sell these items to us for the price that we would have paid in retail stores. That price is far higher than what Hasbro was selling the items to the retail stores. I'm sure Wal-Mart wouldn't pay Hasbro $14.99 for each Bravo vehicle. They probably paid Hasbro about 60% of that, and made a profit off the rest. Now, Hasbro can sell the same Humvee for $14.99 instead of the price they sold them to retailers. So, where they may lose the overall volume of sales, they will make up for SOME of it with the greater amount of money they can make from us. That's not to say that if there are not substantial amount of sales that Hasbro won't kill it. I'm just saying they might give this a little bit longer to try and ride out.

Well the additude of most companies I have found, especially the large ones is that there just isnt enough money to made from collectors alone,

your right jay, but i think this is gonna change it's gonna have too, kids just aint into toys like they used to be. and the age where kids stop playing with toys is getting younger and younger... i think the day will come when hasbro will "HAVE" to give us what we want, we'll be calling the shots we'll say this is what we want! now be a good toy company and go make it for us and we will buy em'! because we are there there customers if they wanna stay in the toy biz they will do it! the tide is gonna turn one of these days and hasbro will be really sorry the Sh!t all over us all these times! well..................maybe it will happen? who knows? it would be nice though!

TM

I for one am glade GI Joe is back, I wonder what was the point for the whole Hiatas.

I don't thing any of the fans of G.I.Joe are disappointed that the "Joes are back".....if this online thing is how they're truely coming back anyway? You're right on the money though, about "what was the point for the hiatus?"

That's the thing that has some fans pulling their hair out and grabbing for the duct tape, to wrap around our heads to keep our brains from exploding out of it!

This whole business has been such a shame and a irresponsible sham!!

It's with mixed emotions, that some of us are reactiing to the online offerings because of it.

I for one am glade GI Joe is back, I wonder what was the point for the whole Hiatas.

I don't thing any of the fans of G.I.Joe are disappointed that the "Joes are back".....if this online thing is how they're truely coming back anyway? You're right on the money though, about "what was the point for the hiatus?"

That's the thing that has some fans pulling their hair out and grabbing for the duct tape, to wrap around our heads to keep our brains from exploding out of it!

This whole business has been such a shame and a irresponsible sham!!

It's with mixed emotions, that some of us are reactiing to the online offerings because of it.

Their press release does say "By popular demand" when mentioning the 3 3/4" return! It wouldn't suprise me if they were informed of how huge the backlash was and decided to make the press release when Joe was going to join the line in Oct/Nov...

-Kevin

Their press release does say "By popular demand" when mentioning the 3 3/4" return! It wouldn't suprise me if they were informed of how huge the backlash was and decided to make the press release when Joe was going to join the line in Oct/Nov...

-Kevin

That's a possibilty, but without calling ANYBODY out as to WHO I think would do this...I can say that there is certainly a segment of the Joe fandom that wiil shoot down that theory, and remind us of how "insignificant" the fans are in the bigger scheme of things, and that we are just giving ourselves too much credit and thinking we're more important than we really are, and we have little to do with much of anything! <_< Am I wrong here? Backup anyone?

It will be stated that everything, as it unfolds, is EXACTLY as Hasbro has planned it, and we need to just wait it out and enjoy the ride!

I'd be curious though, as to WHO they are referring, in the "by popular demand" comment....the kids or the collectors? ^_^

Here's the point however - Sigma 6 is not supposed to hit retail until the Sept/Oct time frame.  Assuming as you said that "original intent was to give Sigma 6 a chance to find its footing", then you're presuming this news wouldn't have hit until the Oct/Nov time frame, or possibly later.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.  But given that time frame, I'm simply stating that there is no way this stuff was rushed from a Nov showing to now.

Nomad,

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner and thanks for taking the time to answer. In light of the new press release talking about "back by popular demand" and the direction this thread has taken, I thought I'd chime in again.

Now, it's quite possible, that this "popular demand" is just a way of framing the new online store so the fans feel like their voices have been heard. That would be a great way to promote the relaunch and help appease some who are angry at the whole mess. If fans feel as though they helped make it happen, they might not hold a grudge.

On the other hand, this could be evidence of exactly what I was saying... that the current relaunch is happening this fast because of the fan response. I understand what you're saying about the time needed to get these products out, and would say that was true if we were talking about a full retail wave. I don't think it would be impossible however, to push a select few products through for a July release (as opposed to an original launch date of this fall) if those products were repaints and/or already in production. It's all conjecture, of course, but at least Scrap-Iron and the comic 3-pack were on the "insider" list that came out a while back. If those figures were already in process at that point, I don't think it would be impossible to get a run of select items out in this packaging for the July online launch.

There's also no telling how long it will take for orders to be fulfilled once the con sales/store opens in July. They may start taking orders then, but its possible we won't see products delivered until the Fall.

Time may answer some of these issues, but in the interim I enjoy examining them, the same way I enjoy games of strategy or discussing politics. This falls into the same mental arena for me. I also respect your more fact base approach (so don't feel obliged to speculate) and am not looking to start any kind fo argument or debate. Just throwing out ideas and seeing what you or anyone else thinks, if they feel like adding to the mix.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

You gotta respect such an calm, respectful and even disposition as what Hoard-Ak exercises in his posts! :)

I only wish I had the same demeanor, but unfortunately, I get too excited and emotional in my thinking and subsequent response. While I may have valid points, I drown them in more words, than necessary, to get them across. ^_^

My hats off to ya!

Out of curiosity...what is your profession? I'm assuming here, that you would almost have to be utilizing this capabilty, somehow even MORE to your advantage, other than just being better able to articulate your opinions on message boards?

It's all conjecture, of course, but at least Scrap-Iron and the comic 3-pack were on the "insider" list that came out a while back.

The Night Ops Humvee was also rumored...it was suppose to ship with a HISS tank (didn't say it it was another HISS4, or a brand new one) So all the stuff they showed us was rumored to be out sometime this year anyways.

It's all conjecture, of course, but at least Scrap-Iron and the comic 3-pack were on the "insider" list that came out a while back.

The Night Ops Humvee was also rumored...it was suppose to ship with a HISS tank (didn't say it it was another HISS4, or a brand new one) So all the stuff they showed us was rumored to be out sometime this year anyways.

So it's very likely some photoshopping creativity was done to come up with the packaging design for the Humvee and the Scrap Iron, and tossed out there as a pacifier until after the convention?

Kinda what I figured anyway! <_<

Anyway...I guess I still haven't received any info as to what the "big secret" was all about, and what the benefits were, to be gained in announcing a 2 month "hiatus" to the fans, if it was only to be a distraction to Wal Mart?

Talk about drama and soap operas!

Who planned this operation....Dr. Mindbender? @lol@

You gotta respect such an calm, respectful and even disposition as what Hoard-Ak exercises in his posts!  :)

I only wish I had the same demeanor, but unfortunately, I get too excited and emotional in my thinking and subsequent response.  While I may have valid points, I drown them in more words, than necessary, to get them across.  ^_^

My hats off to ya! 

Out of curiosity...what is your profession?  I'm assuming here, that you would almost have to be utilizing this capabilty, somehow even MORE to your advantage, other than just being better able to articulate your opinions on message boards?

Thanks. Since I post mostly for enjoyment, I try to keep a level head and be respectful of other posters, even if I don't agree with or respect their POV's. I don't always manage that, but I try. I look at message board posting as a way to express myself, but also as a way to learn, same as in the "real world".

I work in a couple different fields where I get a lot of practice communicating. It's cool you picked up on that. I'd be more specific, but I specifically post here incognito to avoid any hassles with people in the real world or other boards. I've had in-person run ins with folks who've had problems with my army building/collecting and I've read plenty of threads (here and elsewhere) where percieved scalpers/hoarders/rabid collectors are outright threatened with violence. I don't need any more of that BS, so from the ashes of the toy collecting battlefield, the persona of Hoard-Ak was born. Somebody wants to flame him, they can go right ahead. He's got nothing to lose.

Your posts may be passionate, but more often than not there's truth in them that comes through (at least those I've read regarding the "hiatus" issue). For me, that's what's important. It's easy to forgive a heated post if it's based on some kind of truth and actually trying to say something, not just part of a band-wagon or pushing an agenda. Even venting feelings doesn't bother me much. What does tick me off is when people use a post to try to bring in some outside agenda that isn't interesting or related (the way the anti-Wal-mart posts are always creeping into other threads). That kind of drivel sets me off.

Anyway, thanks again.

[Anyway...I guess I still haven't received any info as to what the "big secret" was all about, and what the benefits were, to be gained in announcing a 2 month "hiatus" to the fans, if it was only to be a distraction to Wal Mart?

Talk about drama and soap operas!]

Well, that's why I raise the whole question of this being a result of the fan feedback. It just doesn't mesh with the hiatus announcement. Even understanding the logistics of getting the toys out, it doesn't make sense to drop that big a bomb, then pull back after making fans so angry.

I`ve always thought that the Hiatus was intended to give the developers more time to plan a relauch with much better molds that might not seem as rushed as what we have gotten so far. I think this online thing is merely a way to appease us until the relauch has time to kick in by using the last made mold from Robot Rebellion`s first wave as well as some repaints. I really hope that the comic packs will stay for alot longer.