Custom Se Head/mask W.i.p.

JoeRhyno

so, I'm digging though my boxes of Star Wars toys and I find a little box.. I open it and I find some silicone rubber I bought a while ago to cast some stuff(but never bought the resin, lol)... I was working on a custom SE head for a side project and I thought.. hey, it looks cool, maybe I'll try to cast it and have a bunch of them... well, I made the mold.. but... again... no resin.. so I'm like.. hey, I wonder if this green stuff will work, lol... just jam it in there, and let it harden... why not? well, a friend told me that it'll probably stick to the mold and ruin it.. but of course, he tells me right as I'm jamming it in there, lol.. anyway.. It set enough so I could pull it out.. and TAH DAH!!!!!!

SE_head.jpg

The black and green one is the original one I made( a JvC SE head with a custom visor).. and the all green one.. is.. the "cast" one, lol.. now this is kinda an expensive head, seeing how much that green stuff costs, but I wanted to try it out.. when I put them side by side, I was like.. WOAH... look how much bigger it is... the first thing that popped in my head.. removable mask!!!!!

so, I'll try it as a head first, and if it looks too big, then SE mask.. here I come!!!!

so.. whacha think???

Looks great. I have a couple of questions.

WHere do you get the Resin ?

How do you make the molds ??

Thanks

Fred

I dont have any Resin... hence... a green stuff head(it's sculpting putty from Games Workshop)... I normally could get the resin at the local hobby shop, but he over charges...that's why I never got it...

As for the mold, it's from silicone rubber, you mix it, pour it over the head and then it sits and dries(not that easy, but basically)... :D

Has anybody ever tried hot glue as a mold???

I tried this out and made a beautiful mold, but i cant find resin anywhere!!! Maybe i'll try the hobby shop? Any more common place to get it?

Sorry to hijack

That head is awesome!!! Definitely one of the best se heads i've ever seen. So.... did you destroy the mold???

-saboteur

-saboteur

Has anybody ever tried hot glue as a mold???

I tried this out and made a beautiful mold, but i cant find resin anywhere!!! Maybe i'll try the hobby shop? Any more common place to get it?

Sorry to hijack

That head is awesome!!! Definitely one of the best se heads i've ever seen. So.... did you destroy the mold???

-saboteur

-saboteur

never tried hot glue... and no.. didn't destroy the mold, still perfect(or at least looks perfect... I'll only be able to tell if I ever get some resin... I'll have to check Mundo's Home Depot idea.. how much is that sidewalk stuff Mundy?

As for where to get the resin... hmmm...maybe someon else can answer that, Raven just sent me a link.. so I'll have to check that out.. other than that, I only have the one hobby shop here that has some...

Thanks for the kind words on the SE head, I was really happy with it, and I'll have to paint it up to see what it really looks like... the figure will most likely have to wait...oooh, and I wanna play around with the gren head a little while the paints drying on a couple diff projects I'm working on right now...

anywho... thanks all!!!

-Joe

Considering how many of the new Joes have tiny pinheads, this little trick could add some needed size to them!

Don't you have to have TWO sides of a mold, so you can take it apart after the resin dries, to pull out the casted item?

Wouldn't mind trying this, if I had more info on the mold making part of it.

V.H. Basically you get your silicone rubber, it comes in a two part mixture, I got mine off ebay about a year ago... anyway... you mix it up and then place the head in a little cup(I use a little putty to hold the head up, and I use one of those little Niquil cups... anyway... put the head on the bottom of the cup, after the silicone is well mixed, pour it in, the stuff I had was pretty thick.. think creamy Peanut butter, but a little softer... ao after scraping the last of it in...till it covers the head, you have to let it sit and harden completely, usually takes about 5 hours... at least my container said it did.. I held mine about a foot above a little candle to help get most of the air bubbles out... and then tapped it on the counter every couple mins to help them to the top.. I did this for a good 10 mins, just to make sure most of the bubbles are out...

So, after doing this, you set it aside... after about 4 hours, I checked it and it was done.. I then moved the cup around till I could see the rubber releasing from the sides of the cup and then popped out the mold...so now, it looks like a purple cup.. lol even has the indentions of the fld ozs. on the side, lol... anyway, I turned the mold over pulled out the putty that was holding hte head and then I took a drill bit drilled into the bottom of the SE head and then pulled the head out... with a nice and crisp... *POP*

after that.. I cut a couple slits on the sides of the mold and the back of it(that's why he looks like he has floppy ears, it's just easier to put the stuff in & take out that way)then...I got some green stuff.. mashed it up, made a nice long snake of it, and jammed it in the hole @hmmm@

I used the butt end of my exacto knife to jam it in and kept wetting it to keep it from sticking to the knife... I then used some of the plastic that the green stuff came in and put that over the hole an djammed the exacto in one last time and left it in.... after it dried... I drilled into the new head like I did before, pulled the moled apart a bit(that's what the slits were for) and then heard that all familiar *POP* again... and TA DAH!!!

There you have it... I'll try to take a pic of the mold for yo tomorrow, but for now I gotta sleep, I think the head came out bigger cuase I was pressing into the mold with the exacto, so it was probably pushing the mold out a little.. no biggie, cause I was planning on making another removable masked SE anyway... :D

if I used resin and just poured it in, then it would have most likely stayed the same... I'll try to clean it up and take some pics tomorrow for you guys...

This is a pretty ghetto way of making heads, lol.. nothing pro about it, here's a link to a how to by a "pro"

http://www.jandrproductions.com/phpbb/view...?t=1845&start=0

Thanks again everyone...

-Joe