So How Will We Keep Up With Continuity Now?

Crimson Twins

With most of us not liking how DD is killing off most of the Joe universe, I was just wondering what the verdict will be on the new continuity created after issue 43. Are we going to accept it as truth like we did Marvel? Will we only accept some of it? Or will this run with Devil's Due just be dropped as artistic license? Personally, I can't stand the direction things are going, and am leaning towards not acknowledging it at all. @grumpy@

#US1#

most of us hate to devils due? shock to me, devils due is killing off everyone? that's more news, i sure wasn't aware that dd contunity and the america's elite were different considering the opposite has been reported everywhere, and last of all i had no idea people wern't allowed to keep their favs alive in their joeverse via fanfics, toys, and just plain old imaginations.

The only reason I ever got the DD series was to see old characters in a comic again. GI Joe was back and it seemed great.

Nothing that special has happened in the series as far as I am concerned. There really has not been one issue I have been blown away by.

I keep giving DD a chance every month and they are not convincing me to stick around.

I follow the Marvel continuity and I think I am stopping there.

Meh.

I used to read the old GI Joe comics as a kid, but honestly, the only continuity that mattered to me back then was the cartoon! (Well, until the movie...)

For me, there isn't any real continuity - they're toys primarily. I'll read the comics from time to time, and enjoy them, but that's the difference between GI Joe and, say, Star Wars. To me, Star Wars is a series of films primarily, so continuity is important, but GI Joe is a series of figures primarily, so I don't really care about the comics.

I really haven't followed the official continuity for years, and I most certainly don't consider one continuity (like the comics) so damn holy as to prevent a perfectly good character(s) (like Doc, Breaker, Mainframe, etc) from being used again. Most of my character concepts come from the cartoons, but I pretty much make my own.

It is lot less complicated :P

Like most people, I suspect, I've walked away from the idea of "continuity" as it pertains to a hobby I enjoy.

I look at the Marvel as a work of literature, based as much on the writer's desire to tell a story as it is a marketing tool tied into a toyline. It transcends it's own limitations, and lives alone as legitimate fiction in the vast ocean of product-placement media.

"Continuity" ends there for me. Not even Hama's work for Devil's Due, or Hasbro in recent years is connected to the comic. Not the filecards of the 80's, or anything Hama has implied in interviews since then. Only the 22+ pages of art and dialogue per month, for 12 years, exist as the story it was meant to be.

Devil's Due attempted to sequalize this story, and failed, much like a poorly made sequel to a great movie. It was riddled with too many swelled heads, editorial masturbation, and the simple fact that amateur writers were using it as testing ground for talents that seem, in hindsight, not to have taken root. Simply put, it was a sell-out from day one, and never tried to be anything more than the cover price could justify. Now it rusn for shock-value, in an attempt to revitalize a fanbase that has seen it for what it is, and walked away.

I'll give America's Elite a chance, because it seems to be the product of a writer's desire (Joe Casey, by all accounts, agreed to write the book only if he got to do it *his* way). But it will never bee "continuity" to me. Just another artist's interpretation of the concept.

Continiuty what the Heck is that? Cartoon gone,marvel comic gone,image comic gone and now 3 3/4 gone and on top DD restart,hows that for timeline.

So saying that make your own Continiuty,thats what is really cool.You think a character should not be dead then he or she is not.

The GIJOE license is just wack.................so be creative and make your own joe world................

erg... i want to defend devils due but the bottome line is Josh stunk his run up,a nd hurt brandon's a little and while brandon's was great, the rushed end really hurt it. But anyways, i want the comic contunity to stay the comic contunity, but to me, i will always have my "joeverse" where the joes are in the future fightin ga cobra empire, Breaker is a new guy and so is doc, joes have died, but not the ones i wanted to let live and i pick and choose my team. I twill always be influenced by the comic in some way, and i always want to read the comic but to me the greatest thing about joe has always been, even since i was a kid, was tha tthere ar eso many characters that each individual person can have it there way and it be totaly unique.

Well people can #$## about DD all day and night but I'll take the Red Shadows over Bongo The Balloon Bear any day of the week thank you kindly. The Marvel comic wasn't that great.

Yes it was. No other toy based comic has lasted a fraction as long as it did. It was written by a guy who created and cared for his characters, not some hack who veiws Joe solely as a way to fleece the nostalgia market for money from Gen-Xers . Blaylock and his hitman Jerwa on their best days couldnt even aspire to be anywhere CLOSE to Hama's worst.

oh, and by the way, her name was Candice . Bongo was just a job. And she advanced the plot by giving a Joe character a romance, and her father was linked to Cobra. Billy became part of the other greatest backstory of GI Joe. Unlike the third rate losers Blaylock created Like Alexander "My Daddy abondoned me" Zanya "My Daddy Abandoned me" Daemon "Lookit my pigtails! Im a hip, l33t Cybergirl! Tee hee!" And last but not least Lady Armada, whose sole ability of looking good in a uniform came in SO handy. At least Hamas characters served REAL purposes. Blaylocks were little more than window dressing. Blaylock wanted to ape Hama by making his own characters. But instead of monkey see monkey do it turned out as monkey made monkey poo. And boy did he ever FLING it at us.

Hama's title got about 155 issues. Not to mention a 28 issue spin off series. Josh wasnt able to even get a THIRD of that before he had to resort to the lame tactic of a new #1 to sucker in sales. Still gonna be same poop different toilet, and if it continues at the level of quality that forced the reset, it wont even last THAT long. He could have simply gotten competent writers and editors, but he has so little respect for your intellects he thinks youll fall for a simple #1. Dont give him that satisfaction. Micronauts and Reloaded didnt last too long either. Im not betting their Voltron and Street Fighter titles do much better

Devils Dues name is appropriate, because the only way these hacks could make it in the industry with little real creative talent was with some sort of malevolent outside help.

Well people can #$## about DD all day and night but I'll take the Red Shadows over Bongo The Balloon Bear any day of the week thank you kindly. The Marvel comic wasn't that great.

Yes it was. No other toy based comic has lasted a fraction as long as it did. It was written by a guy who created and cared for his characters, not some hack who veiws Joe solely as a way to fleece the nostalgia market for money from Gen-Xers . Blaylock and his hitman Jerwa on their best days couldnt even aspire to be anywhere CLOSE to Hama's worst.

oh, and by the way, her name was Candice . Bongo was just a job. And she advanced the plot by giving a Joe character a romance, and her father was linked to Cobra. Billy became part of the other greatest backstory of GI Joe. Unlike the third rate losers Blaylock created Like Alexander "My Daddy abondoned me" Zanya "My Daddy Abandoned me" Daemon "Lookit my pigtails! Im a hip, l33t Cybergirl! Tee hee!" And last but not least Lady Armada, whose sole ability of looking good in a uniform came in SO handy. At least Hamas characters served REAL purposes. Blaylocks were little more than window dressing. Blaylock wanted to ape Hama by making his own characters. But instead of monkey see monkey do it turned out as monkey made monkey poo. And boy did he ever FLING it at us.

Hama's title got about 155 issues. Not to mention a 28 issue spin off series. Josh wasnt able to even get a THIRD of that before he had to resort to the lame tactic of a new #1 to sucker in sales. Still gonna be same poop different toilet, and if it continues at the level of quality that forced the reset, it wont even last THAT long. He could have simply gotten competent writers and editors, but he has so little respect for your intellects he thinks youll fall for a simple #1. Dont give him that satisfaction. Micronauts and Reloaded didnt last too long either. Im not betting their Voltron and Street Fighter titles do much better

Devils Dues name is appropriate, because the only way these hacks could make it in the industry with little real creative talent was with some sort of malevolent outside help.

i second that. hack writing is hack writing, regardless of issue number.

WOW! A lot of good valid points. In the end, my Joes will have their own world that I run. I was simply asking because there are people out there that like to bring up the fact that Hasbro won't do figures of dead characters. Well, that will create quite a mess then based on the current comic, won't it?

While I agree that Devils Due have neither maintained the quality of the Marvel series overall or matched it when it was at its best they have managed some sub-arcs that were of reasonable quaility: the Chuckles/Wigfield Jnr Frontline arc, The Barrel Roll on Cobra Island story and the first Master And Apprentice were all enjoyable, reasonably self-reliant adventures

I also rather liked the Red Ninja issue, though only as a standalone, It's been rather spoiled IMO by the current attempts to continue the story in Master And Apprentice II... which did show promise, but is starting to come off the rails already with Sei-Tin's return, "Steel spine" my arse, even if it isn't far beyond the demonstrated medical abilites of Cobra, Sei-Tin should have faded away, vanquised and humbled, but no, DD are again trying to make extra main characters just because they dodn't want to use the ones that came with the franchise (there are quite a few existing characters who could fill Sei Tins current role Slice, Dice, Slash, The Night Creeper Leader).

Sei-Tin actually illustrates another cheap trick that DD have used to keep sales up: not only do they interupt the flow of the story to kill off Characters for shock value, they also keep resurecting bad guys just because they were popular and so Devils Due Retcons wildly bringing them back to boost sales.

The DD books are high quality. Yes favs of mine have died, but comparing it to the Marvel series is like apples and oranges. The Marvel series lasted long because EVERY kid in town played with Joes. This was a time where books like Quasar and Darkhawk would run into 60 issue runs.

Marvel comics GI Joe was lame to me. I was a cartoon guy. The comic didn't get the colors right. Focased waaaay too much on Scarlett, SE, and SS. All the cool characters go no screentime.

I'd gladly take Zanya, Alexander, Armada, Damon, and Firewall over Candy the Balloon Bear, White Clown, Soft MAster, Blind Master, Cesspool, and Headman.

In my collection, comic continuity has never carried over. in my Joe-verse, Breaker is alive and well, along with Doc, Quick-Kick, Heavy Metal, etc.

I've never bought into the idea of Lifeline, Stretcher, and Sideswipe being "replacments" for Doc, but instead new medics who serve under Doc.

doc really hates devils due, but i agree with him on the points against blaylock, I haven't read m&a ii but other than the bomb on cobra island jerwa hasn't pleased me.

I won't get on here and bash the Marvel issues because I like them just not really as much as the DD stuff. IMO the DD stuff is just a hell of a lot more interesting. I LIKE the fact that they throw us fanboys a bone by throwing in obscure characters and what not instead of every issue being nothing but Scarlet, Snake-Eyes Flint, and Lady Jaye. Hama wouldn't even give us Duke.