Excuses For Bad Behavior

SufferingSappho

Okay, what is it about collecting toys that encourages people to act like children ? Is it because they didn't get the toys they wanted as kids ? Or conversely, that they got every toy they ever wanted, and see no reason why that should change ??

I ask, 'cause I'm compiling an informal list of bad collector behaviors, and I'm sure I can't think of them all. I'm not looking to point any fingers at people here, or start a flame war, so please keep your responses here on-topic.

Here's a few items to start the list:

1. Scalping

2. Stealing (from stores, or other customers)

3. Reneging on trades with other collectors

4. Hoarding

5. Hiding items in stores

6. Damaging merchandise they don't buy

7. Raiding stock rooms (could also be store insiders)

8. Returning free or traded items to stores for credit

Can anybody help to supplement my list ?

j @bounce@ e

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only bad ones are the first three. # 6, who does this? Kids! Reckless children mom and/or Dad send to the toyaisle while they shop.

I've hidden stuff, still hide stuff actually, and currently have stuff hidden.

Hoarding is still collecting, only when it leads to scalping does it become bad.

Raiding stock rooms, you'd do it too if the opportunity arose.

Returning? No one's business but the returner's. If you don't want something, or aren't happy with a product you've EVERY RIGHT to return it. Better to not be stuck with something you don't want.

But to add to your list:

9) Feeding Scalpers and buying toys for more than their value.

LOL....I've never raided a stockroom, and I don't think I'd like to start anytime soon. Who would know where to look, and/or how to remain unobtrusive at the same time ? If I actually worked in a store that sold figures I collected, I'm sure I'd keep tabs on where things were kept, but as a shopper I'm not that ballsy.

j @bounce@ e

. Stealing (from stores, or other customers)

These are the only ones that bother me, personaly I think you need to get off cloud 9 & come down to the real world :P

People who tear open cases that are out on pallets without asking permission or getting someone to open it for them.

Or how about simply coming back the next day ?! :o

OH THE HORROR !

I do this, I ask if I see someone around though... most of the time... If I know its someone whos just gona role there eyes & **** about it & then either do it or say no I just open it my self... if they don't open it for me they just get pissed off & open it for the next guy that asks. Quite frankly its the only way to really get the stuff you want with out a lot of greef...

I can't stand any of the ones SufferingSappho mentioned except for #5. But that's so no scalper gets a hold of them and sells them on ebay for twice as much before I can buy it as play with it as it's meant to be. People that huck 1000s of dollars for a toy kinda bother me. Especially when it's a toy that's coming out later on and you can just buy it at retail for a lot less. But I find them kinda funny. I got nothing personal on MOC collectors, but I can't help but see a person's MOC collection and think "those poor poor toys. Locked up for eternity."

People who tear open cases that are out on pallets without asking permission or getting someone to open it for them.

Or how about simply coming back the next day ?! :o

OH THE HORROR !

Hey, there's no gaurantee that the figure you want will even BE THERE the next day. Espeically if you're collecting a Mattel or Toybiz line. :P

Here's a few items to start the list:

1. Scalping

2. Stealing (from stores, or other customers)

3. Reneging on trades with other collectors

4. Hoarding

5. Hiding items in stores

7. Raiding stock rooms (could also be store insiders)

8. Returning free or traded items to stores for credit

Can anybody help to supplement my list ?

j @bounce@ e

I don't do any of it.

If there are cases out in the aisle I go through it, but that's it. If I can find a rare figure that I want, i'll pick it up. It's happened a couple of times i've beaten a scalper. But unlike them I don't jump on ebay. I hold onto stuff and enjoy it.

Okay, what is it about collecting toys that encourages people to act like children ?  Is it because they didn't get the toys they wanted as kids ?  Or conversely, that they got every toy they ever wanted, and see no reason why that should change ??

I ask, 'cause I'm compiling an informal list of bad collector behaviors, and I'm sure I can't think of them all.  I'm not looking to point any fingers at people here, or start a flame war, so please keep your responses here on-topic.

Greed. They don't see collecting as a fun hobby, they see it as a way to make a quick buck. I think they must have gotten most of what they wanted as a kid, and decided to stick with it.

Greed or a way of life for them really. They think they can make money out of collectors..but it really isnt much.

I have been approached numerous times by these guys selling me stuff 80% or more than marked price...they stupid or what?

I do 5 & every now & then #1 & I suppose you could consider #4 to be part of that...

I rarely come across a new toy I don't want for my self though lol. If I see something rare that I allready have for my self I'll buy it & either sell it for more or more preferably trade it for items I want, since in the end trading gets me the same result which is toys I want :D Rarely ever happens though cause I'm lucky enough to find ONE of the figures I want :S

A bad collector behaviour???

--Someone that feels they are OWED something beyond the product--simply because they consume that product.

Added to this, someone that will berate another person because the toy isn't to their liking, has a bent card, was grabbed by another collector, hole-punched by the store, the other collector likes/dislikes it and they don't...etc.

--Someone who takes a toy out of a child's hand so they can run off to the cashier and by the thing. Seen this with my own eyes.

--Someone who takes a item they want from someone else's cart.

--Fights in stores. Seen this too--Two Hot Wheels collectors went at it over some dumbass item they both grabbed for.

Those are all bad... Things can get ugly fast in this hobby and there really isn't any excuse. It really depends on the person.

A bad collector behaviour???

--Someone who takes a item they want from someone elses cart.

--Fights in stores. Seen this too--Two Hot Wheels collectors went at it over some dumbass item they both grabbed for.

My friend did this, he was looking for the Motu castle & found it in someone else's cart...& took it & ran to the cashier at TArget.... He felt guilty for a while, then bragged to everyone how he took it!

About hot wheels...I believe it!, I've seen old men looking through the HOt Wheels isles like if they lost something valuable...& they leave the place like trash!! I'm usually the one who organizes it back when i'm looking for hot wheels....dam scalpers..

I definetly do 5. I mean.. I'm a high school student, money doesn't fall off trees for me. I gotta get it before scalpers do, so its justified. I'm a collector, therefore it goes into my... COLLECTION.

and ARROW, thats just rediculous. It's a damn hobby. When grown men take toys from little kids... THINK ABOUT THE RING OF THAT! There is no ring, actually. It just sounds plain ol' a-hole status.

POGOMAN, you dubbed yourself a God...

awesome. I wouldn't know whoelse could say that actually. good for you. hahaha!

--Someone who takes a toy out of a child's hand so they can run off to the cashier and by the thing. Seen this with my own eyes.

I've seen all of these and even had it happen to me.

When I was 5 or 6 I my grandmother was buying me a toy. I picked out what I wanted and this guy grabbed it right out of my hands and took off. I thought my grandmother was going to rip the guys head off. She was pissed. It upset me and I think I started crying. She tried to get me something else but I just wanted to leave.

I have not thought about that memory in a long time. Today if I see someone do that to a kid, especially one that young I'd beat the hell out of them.

I've seen all of these and even had it happen to me.

When I was 5 or 6 I my grandmother was buying me a toy. I picked out what I wanted and this guy grabbed it right out of my hands and took off. I thought my grandmother was going to rip the guys head off. She was pissed. It upset me and I think I started crying. She tried to get me something else but I just wanted to leave.

I have not thought about that memory in a long time. Today if I see someone do that to a kid, especially one that young I'd beat the hell out of them.

SICK AND WRONG! :angry: People like make us toy collectors look bad. :angry:

If you are anxcious & stressed of not finding the item for days, & some young kid is holding something that probably has no meaning for him, would you snatch it?.....

Wait til it happens to you....

If you are anxcious & stressed of not finding the item for days, & some young kid is holding something that probably has no meaning for him, would you snatch it?.....

Wait til it happens to you....

Actually, I have given up some things that I really wanted that were hard to find because a little kid wanted it.

Crazy collector behaviour does my head in. Gives collectors a bad name and a general rep of being the Simpsons comic store guy.

You may not think that kids give a damn, but when I was a kid, I knew when I was going to get a Transformer and I'd look forward to getting that specific character - if I'd had it taken off me in a store simply because someone thought that I wouldn't have appreciated it's value... I would have grown up bitter and twisted.

I can't abide scalpers, but the concept of rare/chase/shortpacked figures plays right into the hands of these guys. The toy companies don't see any of the extra profits that come from the resale, so why make these horribly rare figures in the first place?

GRRRRRRRR!