Marriage Is A Terrible Reason To Stop Collecting.

SentinelPrime

When was the last time Scarlet &*%$ed your $%*&?

The choice is clear.

:D

Watch there's some guy out there with a blow up scarlet who can prove you wrong ;)

gross... don't ever talk ever again hammer you lost your speaking privelages :P

@hmmm@ Quietly pushes life size doll under bed................I have no idea what you are talking about. That is just absurd. :unsure:

Draven

drav. I told everybody about your scarlett already bro,so just keep it out.

@grumpy@ Ah man you spilled the beans on me...........Psssssst Bekker has a life size LJ. @smilepunch@

Draven

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time Scarlet &*%$ed your $%*&?

The choice is clear.

:D

Watch there's some guy out there with a blow up scarlet who can prove you wrong ;)

gross... don't ever talk ever again hammer you lost your speaking privelages :P

@hmmm@ Quietly pushes life size doll under bed................I have no idea what you are talking about. That is just absurd. :unsure:

Draven

drav. I told everybody about your scarlett already bro,so just keep it out.

@grumpy@ Ah man you spilled the beans on me...........Psssssst Bekker has a life size LJ. @smilepunch@

Draven

yep and she is all mine bro,well you got my seconds already,so maybe you should put scarlett away now,lol

I have just now found this thread and didnt have time to read all three pages but I skimmed and read many posts, so pardon me if what I say is outdated or a repeat...

But I have to say the concept that to be a collector you gotta find a way to squeeze 20-30 bucks a week into your hobby is a little naive... First from the financial point of view that is extremely naive... Thats 80-120 dollars a MONTH on toys. Thats more than my phone bill, more than my cable, more than my electric bill, more than my water bill... (sadly its not more than my gas bill)....... Thats a LARGE financial investment. Maybe not to someone young and single.... When I first scored my real career job and was young and single I was able to blow money left and right. Take friends out to eat just because I wanted to. Spend money on things and just not even care. But life can sneak up on you and change VERY quickly. I recently married a woman with a 5 year old daughter and we had our own child, my first son. She is young too and hasnt yet made it through college. So I am supporting my family of 4 on a salary that is about 30k a year. Take out taxes, take out how much insurance costs, family health insurance, delta dental family, vision. Doctor co-pays, prescription co-pays... GROCERIES!! for the love of god a 4 dollar box of cereal is lucky if it lives for 3 days in our house. Plus we choose to rent a house for the time being because we havent yet saved enough to buy one, but would rather not cram 4 people into an apartment. Plus we have to consider school districts as our five year old is about to start kindergarten soon.

It all adds up. And sometimes priorities have to change... I would feel real bad if I shelled out 20 bucks on the Crimson Guard pack I found saturday and didnt have the 20 bucks to pay for a doctor co-pay when my wife got sick on monday... Which is exactly what would have happened...

Historically it has been a mans role to be a provider... and that is where my qualms with collecting come in... I have never STOPPED collecting. Sometimes I can afford new stuff, sometimes I cant. When we dont have any money I just take that time to enjoy the stuff I already have. When there is extra money I take great excitement on hunting down some new stuff. but to say you have to spend 20-30 bucks a week on it?!?!? Thats a TON of cash.... WAY too much....... I also have to ask myself... Im the provider... and the one in charge of all our money... So here is my question... What do I do? Buy 2 crimson guard packs and get both tomax and xamot....... OR...... spend the 40 bucks on that new pretty princess storage bin drawer set at wal mart that just went on sale that my wife REALLY wants to put in our daughters room to help us organize all her stuff.. considering I already have a thousand figures or so, and I just bought some comic packs a couple of weeks ago, I feel pretty gosh darn selfish saying Im sorry dear daughter, but your room will have to wait... I need to buy 12 more figures so I can bring them home wrap them in baggies and put them away. :)

just because you dont make regular investments into your collection doesnt mean youve given up collecting... But as we get older we do have to reprioritize.....

As for me, I really hope I still manage to afford that Tomax pack before its gone........

Phanstar

The *only* thing my wife does not like is my constant trips to Wal-Mart, Target and TRU. Now that Joe is dead and I'm only colelcting Alts and minimal Cybertron, I've taken care of that issue.

Since a majority of marital arguments revolve around $$$, we decided to set up a couple of extra personal bank accounts just for the purpose of "fun/hobby" money. We've found that it has been a great help from raiding the "General Ledger" for buying toys, etc. I do get a monthly allowance (she does as well) and that really helps me think about my purchases so I don't go waay overboard.

In the event that we hit a financial "skid" these funds can and have been used to help pay bills, etc.

I haven't read allt his yet, but is this directed at me? Either way, really annoying guys.

Not having space would be another reason of mine, or the cash it takes up, or how about this, HASBRO CANCELED THE LINE! geeze...

I have to say that I can understand why someone would stop collecting when they decided to get married. I know that I stopped for a few months just to help save money for the reception and wedding. I think it's a very common thing for someone to feel at a time like that. MUST SAVE MONEY! JOES ARE MY PRIMARY EXPENSE! I think these are very common thoughts.

I also think that 99% of those people will come back once all is said and done and things even back out. I don't think it's fair to jump all over people like this. The idea might bother you but all a thread like this does is alienate someone who might need to take a few months off from collecting and then come back with a fresh head.

I had a nice talk with my girlfriend about this topic last night.

She said she was wondering if I would ever bring it up because I seem uncomfortable around her when it comes to my collecting, I had not noticed but I guess I do clam up a little bit.

She said she was fine with it and she thinks it keeps me young at heart and makes me more fun to be around.

She then brought up that if we were to get married we would need another house just for my collection.

She is even willing to get a new place. I thought she loved her house and would never leave it.

It is a really nice house out in the country and has a pond and a decent amount of land.

Then she brought up that we would need at least 4 bedrooms. I for use, i for her daughter, i for my toys and i for the baby we have not had yet.

So far we have only talked a little about getting married and saying we would both like another baby. Even then it was just casual conversations not anything definate.

I think she was hinting at something. Trying to get me to pop the question or something. This topic has actually helped me alot.

I'd also like to add that I think everyone has been pretty civilized on this topic and it has not gotten too heated or out of hand. It's nice to have a serious conversation on here without it being ruined.

And Naz, I don't think this topic is directed at you. You maybe helped bring this topic to our attention to discuse but I think it would have come up someday anyway.

alright now that i have read most of this...

Yes you should marry someone who lets you practice your hobby, my wife (as of this sat) certinatly does.

But when you get married it's time to get your priorities straight. Toys are just that, a Hobby. When get married, you need cash and space and i would never recomand ditching most of your toys, but for space purposes they are going in my parents garage.

what bussiness is it of anyone else if someone puts collecting on hold or even quits? and this "they better decide if collecting is in them or not" crap is ridiculas (and so is my spelling :) ) this isn't a cult.

Love will always come before toys for me. If i needed to sell my entire collection becouse we are in a finicial pinch i would do it without a secound thought. Some of you need to get your priorities, while some are joking, i think some of you might be jealous that can't get a women! Really some of you sound like yous till life in your parents basement and fit everyother sterotype of a geek.

We're doing fine financially now and she accepts that I have a toy room and a collection, but she still hates the darn things and would never buy one for me.

I feel sorry for you man.... @loll@ ..... My wife doesn't care if I buy transformers...I yes, I am doing bad financially....well, lately.

She usually buys me the Hard Hero statues for my Bday or our anniversary..which surprises me a lot of times cause I don't know how she knows which I dont' have & wich I do, cause I have some of my stuff at my office....

Wow. That's great, Adam. Make sure if/when you do pop the question, you do it in a memorable way. Here's how I did mine. :) It's awesome she has plans that include the 2 of you, her daughter, your Joes and your future baby. She obviously loves you a lot. :)

Is that you and your wife? If so dood she's HOT, I think.... I couldn't really make out anything since it's so small but she sounds hot ;)

This thread has only made me jealous, I may only be 18 but I don't have a g/f and it's killing me! This is how hot I am too:

24xq.jpg

What's up with these stupid girls around here, who I haven't even approached but would reject me if I did :P

Here's another of my massive biceps just for fun...

30le.jpg

Great now I'm depressed someone let me borrow their blow up scarlet or lady jaye whichever :D j/k

Wow. That's great, Adam. Make sure if/when you do pop the question, you do it in a memorable way. Here's how I did mine. :) It's awesome she has plans that include the 2 of you, her daughter, your Joes and your future baby. She obviously loves you a lot. :)

Is that you and your wife? If so dood she's HOT, I think.... I couldn't really make out anything since it's so small but she sounds hot ;)

This thread has only made me jealous, I may only be 18 but I don't have a g/f and it's killing me! This is how hot I am too:

24xq.jpg

What's up with these stupid girls around here, who I haven't even approached but would reject me if I did :P

Here's another of my massive biceps just for fun...

30le.jpg

Great now I'm depressed someone let me borrow their blow up scarlet or lady jaye whichever :D j/k

You have to decide if you like red heads or not! =\

That's how I found what physical aspects I like most about a girls hair...

Red or blonde for me!

-Kevin

My girlfriend was blonde and changed to red, now she is blonde again. I don't care what color she has as long as her hair is long. I like long hair.

No way would I propose on the Empire State Building. I am scared of heights. She might say no when the pee starts running down my leg.

My girlfriend was blonde and changed to red, now she is blonde again. I don't care what color she has as long as her hair is long. I like long hair.

No way would I propose on the Empire State Building. I am scared of heights. She might say no when the pee starts running down my leg.

Have you ever thought of proposing on a scuba trip then? :) One extreme to another!

-Kevin

Love will always come before toys for me. If i needed to sell my entire collection becouse we are in a finicial pinch i would do it without a secound thought. Some of you need to get your priorities, while some are joking, i think some of you might be jealous that can't get a women! Really some of you sound like yous till life in your parents basement and fit everyother sterotype of a geek.

that is an entirely different issue. if I ever needed money the collection would be gone in a heartbeat. but that has nothing to do with giving it up because you are getting married.

marriage doesn't require giving up something you enjoy. you CAN actually be married and collect toys. one doesn't require the absence of the other.

no one is saying they don't want to get married because they would rather collect toys. I think what is being said is they would prefer to find a woman who loves them regardless.

that is an entirely different issue. if I ever needed money the collection would be gone in a heartbeat. but that has nothing to do with giving it up because you are getting married.

marriage doesn't require giving up something you enjoy. you CAN actually be married and collect toys. one doesn't require the absence of the other.

no one is saying they don't want to get married because they would rather collect toys. I think what is being said is they would prefer to find a woman who loves them regardless.

Precisely.

Giving up toys because you HAVE to is admirable. Priorities are VERY important.

Giving them up just because someone else doesn't approve of them is weak and foolish.

There is this cute redhead who sits next to me in expos class, hmmm

If ya know what's good for ya...you'll avoid women like the plague! ^_^

Whatever funlovin', free spirited innocence your enjoying in your life right now, will sh@# the friggin' bed pretty danged fast after getting involved with the women folk.

If I hear one more person say they are quitting buying toys because they are getting married, I am going to VOMIT!!!!!!!

I have seen people claiming this alot recently. I am married. Have been for 6 years. My toy room is beautiful. My wife likes me to buy toys because I enjoy them. I spend $20-$50 a week, and all is well. I buy TFs and Joes. Why would someone want to live with a person that tries to make them stop doing things they like?

Granted, we also have a 5 year old daughter, so I don't go out and spend money on movies, bars, shows, I don't smoke, things that single people with a social life blow money on, so I consider that a trade off finacially.

Marriage is about the worst excuse I can think of to quit collecting. That and the old parents classic "you are too old".

very good points.

I dont think I collect quite as much as if i were single, but I definitely do my fair share of collecting and I just got married last Sept.

You have to lay down the law in the beginning. Pre-nup is always good idea too lol.

the only time I let up was in 2000 just after leaving the army and before starting school to make sure i had enough money to get by, after moving up to live with my now-wife.

guys like that who quit collecting because of marriage deserve it too.

My girlfriend was blonde and changed to red, now she is blonde again.  I don't care what color she has as long as her hair is long.  I like long hair.

No way would I propose on the Empire State Building.  I am scared of heights.  She might say no when the pee starts running down my leg.

Have you ever thought of proposing on a scuba trip then? :) One extreme to another!

-Kevin

I can't swim and really don't care for water. I'd get eaten by a shark.