Marriage Is A Terrible Reason To Stop Collecting.

SentinelPrime

If I hear one more person say they are quitting buying toys because they are getting married, I am going to VOMIT!!!!!!!

I have seen people claiming this alot recently. I am married. Have been for 6 years. My toy room is beautiful. My wife likes me to buy toys because I enjoy them. I spend $20-$50 a week, and all is well. I buy TFs and Joes. Why would someone want to live with a person that tries to make them stop doing things they like?

Granted, we also have a 5 year old daughter, so I don't go out and spend money on movies, bars, shows, I don't smoke, things that single people with a social life blow money on, so I consider that a trade off finacially.

Marriage is about the worst excuse I can think of to quit collecting. That and the old parents classic "you are too old".

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if this thread will end badly?

It shouldn't.

There's a lot of truth in what he says.

I think it just depends on the priorities one has in life and the kinds of people one surrounds themselves with.

I wonder if this thread will end badly?

I think it will.

And everyone has there own reasons for why they collect or dont want to anymore.

But true if the reason was because your other didnt want you to collect then that is lame.

But I only agree with that reason,buy and collect what and when you want.

I've collected toys the whole time I've been married, but it has caused a lot of friction in our marriage. In fact, it's only been in the last two-three years that she has accepted it. Frankly, the arguments were caused by our lack of money more than anything.

If you don't have much money or you are saving for a house or you are having a baby, putting your toy collecting days on hold is the right and responsible thing to do. If you have none of those worries, it shouldn't be an issue.

We're doing fine financially now and she accepts that I have a toy room and a collection, but she still hates the darn things and would never buy on for me.

Anyway, everyone's circumstances are different. Perhaps some of the people who are quitting are just being responsible and saving their money for a house and/or kids. The marriage itself probably isn't the reason.

I've collected toys the whole time I've been married, but it has caused a lot of friction in our marriage.  In fact, it's only been in the last two-three years that she has accepted it.  Frankly, the arguments were caused by our lack of money more than anything.

If you don't have much money or you are saving for a house or you are having a baby, putting your toy collecting days on hold is the right and responsible thing to do.  If you have none of those worries, it shouldn't be an issue. 

We're doing fine financially now and she accepts that I have a toy room and a collection, but she still hates the darn things and would never buy on for me.

Anyway, everyone's circumstances are different.  Perhaps some of the people who are quitting are just being responsible and saving their money for a house and/or kids.  The marriage itself probably isn't the reason.

Have you ever asked her what makes her hate them so much? Why some women hate small plastic toys so much is beyond me. There's far better things to spend your time hating, like ignorance, and gangsta rap. @smilepunch@

Anyway, saving for a house and kids is fine and all, but you can't tell me you can't still get in $20-$30 for toys and save all you need to. You can have these things and still do things you want.

Here's the great truism in all this:

Why would someone want to live with a person that tries to make them stop doing things they like?

Life is too short to fight with someone over interests.

If the "significant other" is so insistent that you change or give up a harmless hobby for their sake that it brings about misery, then one has to really think twice about this other person.

Where will they stop? Truth is that some people cannot overcome their own base insecurities and have to extend control to all around them.

I guess its a personal choice everyone makes whether or not they want to tolerate that kind of personality in their life.

I think it depends on everyone's unique situation. Living a married life can be expensive, especially when kids come along. Sometimes people need to give up their hobbies (expensive ones like toy collecting anyway) to plan for their future. A newlywed couple probably wants to buy a house and have children and they may need to start saving. If that means cutting out on the non-essentials (like toys) so be it.

Now, if you have plenty of money then more power to you. I don't think anyone should stop collecting just because their spouse wants them too. A spouse should accept who you are 100% including your hobbies. If they don't then you may not have been the right couple to begin with.

I am married and my wife has never raised an eyebrow. I'll never forget when I showed her my vitage 82-86 MOC collection when we were dating. she thought it was "cute." she tolerates my constant stops and Target, Wal Mart and TRU, and was fine when I said I wanted to travel to a Target out of our way because I got word their was a Night Force Grizzly there, and it was.

hopefully we collect because we enjoy it. anyone who stops because they are getting married probably only collected to fill some void in their life which has now been filled by a woman. or maybe they are so afraid of losing the woman who doesn't like toys that they would give up what they enjoy to please her. that is a personal preference and an individual choice.

some people strive to find a woman who will love them for who they are, faults and toy collections and all. and others just want to find a woman no matter what. sad but true.

this is in no way a condemnation or accusation of anyone in particular. just my observation to this particular situation.

I've been married almost 6 years now and I dated the woman for 4 Years before that...I made it clear WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in High School that I collect toys and that's part of who I am, and that It's something I'd always do. She accepted that and that's been the end of it. I wouldn't marry someone that couldn't accept my collecting cause that would mean she wanted to "Change me" and not love me for who I really was....and that's not the kinda person I wanna spend the rest of my life with.

I am married and my wife has never raised an eyebrow. I'll never forget when I showed her my vitage 82-86 MOC collection when we were dating. she thought it was "cute." she tolerates my constant stops and Target, Wal Mart and TRU, and was fine when I said I wanted to travel to a Target out of our way because I got word their was a Night Force Grizzly there, and it was.

hopefully we collect because we enjoy it. anyone who stops because they are getting married probably only collected to fill some void in their life which has now been filled by a woman. or maybe they are so afraid of losing the woman who doesn't like toys that they would give up what they enjoy to please her. that is a personal preference and an individual choice.

some people strive to find a woman who will love them for who they are, faults and toy collections and all. and others just want to find a woman no matter what. sad but true.

this is in no way a condemnation or accusation of anyone in particular. just my observation to this particular situation.

Very well said!

Jase

=w=

If I hear one more person say they are quitting buying toys because they are getting married, I am going to VOMIT!!!!!!!

I have seen people claiming this alot recently. I am married. Have been for 6 years. My toy room is beautiful. My wife likes me to buy toys because I enjoy them. I spend $20-$50 a week, and all is well. I buy TFs and Joes. Why would someone want to live with a person that tries to make them stop doing things they like?

Granted, we also have a 5 year old daughter, so I don't go out and spend money on movies, bars, shows, I don't smoke, things that single people with a social life blow money on, so I consider that a trade off finacially.

Marriage is about the worst excuse I can think of to quit collecting. That and the old parents classic "you are too old".

I agree, but when you marry and live together with someone, there's compromise. I remember when the first time I lived with a girl (didn't marry her though, and broke up shortly afterwards) and the first time all of her things and all of my things were under the same roof. There wasn't room for crap, and a lot had to go.

Also, if you have to cut out major parts of your life just to afford getting married, is it really that important to get married right this very instant? I mean, really.

If you have a child, and must get married right away, and can't squeeze in $20 a week at least, and you stop buying, I commend you. I did for a while. Once my daughter was 2 or 2-1/2, I could afford it again.

Otherwise, why stop doing something you enjoy, that's harmless?

Yeah everyone has there reasons... I don't think anyone should be upset about anyone losing their hobby... Afterall... it is just a hobby...

Lets consider it under a different perspective... You met the love of your life... you have lots in common... you wanna spend the rest of your life with her... thing is... she wants you to give up... oh and did I mention she is hot?.... I honestly don't think any of us would regret choosing the girl. I think some of us have to get our priorities straight.

Yeah everyone has there reasons... I don't think anyone should be upset about anyone losing their hobby... Afterall... it is just a hobby...

Lets consider it under a different perspective... You met the love of your life... you have lots in common... you wanna spend the rest of your life with her... thing is... she wants you to give up... oh and did I mention she is hot?.... I honestly don't think any of us would regret choosing  the girl. I think some of us have to get our priorities straight.

That is exactly how I feel.

I would give up my toys and everything else for my girl. If she wanted me to stop collecting I would. I love my toys but I love her more.

I have lived w/my girlfriend for 2 yrs. She has tolerated my toys. In fact she lets me display them proudly in our bedroom. as long as I don't out any anywhere else, it's fine. Sux though as I have tubs of stuff that could be put out (ML, MOTU, old Marvel stuff, tons of Simpsons).

Lets consider it under a different perspective... You met the love of your life... you have lots in common... you wanna spend the rest of your life with her... thing is... she wants you to give up... oh and did I mention she is hot?.... I honestly don't think any of us would regret choosing  the girl. I think some of us have to get our priorities straight.

I would give up my toys and everything else for my girl. If she wanted me to stop collecting I would. I love my toys but I love her more.

But it shouldn't be about choosing between the two.

Jase

=w=

If you have to give up one of your hobbies, so does she.

I may not need my Joes or DVDs (my current hobbies), but she doesn't need her 100 bags or purses, 1000 pair of shoes, or needs to buy a new outfit(s) because the seasons are changing, "it's on sale", and/or it's another year.

I especially hate it when they buy clothes and don't even wear it. Christ...

Thats cool that you feel that way..In my case I dont...Its not the simple fact that Im choosing a piece of plastic over her...but Im choosing my beliefs that if a woman makes you choose her or a toy...she will always try to control you...She will see you as weak...and she will always want it her way...And in some aspect I feel that if you do give in, she would never fully respect you or much less even love you...Just because she used her woman card...furthermore, ifs shes a "hot chick" that shouldnt make you choose. She would make you spend money on her, make you do things you dont like, make you join clubs orginzations, whatever that she feels that is necessary for her to break you...brother, she really dosent love you...only her selfish self...

Now, I have been married for almost 3 years and have been dating her for about 6 years prior to that (so Ive been with her for 9 years)...So, I know that if she had ever made me choose between her or my mom, my dog, my toys, my whatever...Im going to choose whatever...Because Im not going to ever be controlled by someone...I wont allow it...Its my right, its my freedom that I will not allow my wife, girl friend, whatever t o control me...Now Im not saying that Im a heartless soul..we compremise and work things out...I love my wife...

But what happens if you break up, get divorced...Now your suck with nothing...No toys, no girl, no spirit...no nothing, but regret...I personally Im not going to do any of those things...She better love me the way I am...

besides "hot" is relative.....Like me, I don't find the blonde with huge knockers "Hot" some guys do....I'm more a long legs, dark hair and glasses guy....I like to call it the "Baroness Effect" IE: The Baroness had a strong impact on my early sexual devolpment....her and Evil-Lyn which explains why I think Goth chicks are kinda cute. LOL!