The Moviespecial Edition On Dvd

catter

Not in the States :P Nah maybe the USA has a version too, but I know for sure that Metrodome are releasing a 2DVD version in the UK either this year or next, but I believe it to be around autumn this year.

They have the original films reels with a little extra around the edges that wasn't viewable on the original movie...they might clean it up to...and are looking into all the special features + packaging etc :)...actually I'd really like an update...I'll let you guys know if one comes along!

Yeah, but while we have the movie on DVD....it still sucks. They could at least release it on a DL disc with a higher quality encoding. But then again, they had that horrible junkion reel on there right in the middle which was horrible.

If another release was made which used better footage, had a higher bitrate and was widescreen, I would be happy. Any added extras would be a bonus but are not a big deal.

We'll get it once the movie buzz starts up, you'll see.

By that, I mean mainstream movie buzz...

Yeah I can see it now, buy the special ed. of the animated Transformers movie on DVD and get a ticket to see the live action movie.

Yeah I can see it now, buy the special ed. of the animated Transformers movie on DVD and get a ticket to see the live action movie.

That would be very cool. And that Junkion reel does suck. But I guess I've learned to live with it.

If another release was made which used better footage, had a higher bitrate and was widescreen, I would be happy. Any added extras would be a bonus but are not a big deal.

Unfortunatly, I can tell you for sure that widescreen does not exist for the movie... It's all pretty square... only way to make it wide screen it to put black bars oiver the toip + bottom which looks stupid cos the picture isn't formatted to look like that. Shame I guess.

Extras being talked of include a mistake reel with fan commentary...pooooooooooossssssssssssssssssssssssssssssibly a tot commentary aswell though I may be wrong, not heard from my source in a while.

Unfortunatly, I can tell you for sure that widescreen does not exist for the movie... It's all pretty square... only way to make it wide screen it to put black bars oiver the toip + bottom which looks stupid cos the picture isn't formatted to look like that.

Ahh - this topics comes up every time.

No. It was widescreen. (Why do people have issues with this?) It came to the theater in widescreen - therefore it's primary presentation should be in widescreen. It doesn't matter if they "covered up" picture in order to do it....then unmasked it for later video releases. It was projected @ 1.85:1 at the theater & should therefore be 1.85:1. It should also be 16x9 enhanced.

So the picture was formatted to be like that (1.85:1) & therefore I maintain that it is not "stupid" to ask for a widescreen version. :)

Makes sense to me!

No. It was widescreen. (Why do people have issues with this?) It came to the theater in widescreen - therefore it's primary presentation should be in widescreen. It doesn't matter if they "covered up" picture in order to do it....then unmasked it for later video releases. It was projected @ 1.85:1 at the theater & should therefore be 1.85:1. It should also be 16x9 enhanced.

Are you sure about that? I was wondering myself... Pretty rare, even then, for a movie to be shot in "fullscreen" (don't know the ratio). Widescreen would really look nice if it's true.

How's this for a special feature? A new (optional of course) soundtrack so one can watch it without it seeming incredibly dated. Of course the original would be the default soundtrack, but they could put something together a little more modern and less '80s cheese. I always thought the soundtrack was the one weak point of the movie, even back then.

Interesting point, Mr. Sci-Fi.

I look at it in terms of Director's intended aspect ratio. While full frame shows more picture on a certain movie, if that movie was shot with a widescreen aspect in mind - then the effect on the feelings of the audience changes.

Say - a widescreen shot of an extreme closeup of a pair of eyes. While it is narrow in the widescreen version, it would be opened up in full frame and maybe show some hair, the nose, and even a mouth. While comparing the two side by side might be a "eh? Who cares" type thing - the truth is (or at least imho as well as many directors) that it affects how the viewer feels.

In a more simple manner, chosing the aspect radio of any movie or show will also control where the viewers eyes go in the frame - which also alters their emotional feel.

Unfortunatly, I can tell you for sure that widescreen does not exist for the movie... It's all pretty square... only way to make it wide screen it to put black bars oiver the toip + bottom which looks stupid cos the picture isn't formatted to look like that.

Ahh - this topics comes up every time.

So the picture was formatted to be like that (1.85:1) & therefore I maintain that it is not "stupid" to ask for a widescreen version. :)

I never said it was "stupid" to ask about a widescreen version. I said the method of placing the black bars on is stupid.

Metrodome UK has the original master Cells and they are pretty much square, meaning that the versions of the movie that hit the cinemas, where edited using the black bar/cutting technique to fit the movie screens; but a dedicated widescreen version was never produced. This means we see less of the film.

Now the original masters that Metrodome have found have betwenn 5 and 15% extra footage around the edges (I'll explain incase ppl aren't aware)... when an animated film is made, the artists draw a little more than is required, to make sure they don't end up with a gap at the edge of the screen.

With new digital technology, this isn't an issue and the whole footage can nw be revealed.

I for one would much rather see this never before seen footage, than lose the top + bottom of the picture to make it look widescreen... having said that, I did suggest that both options be made available on the disks, but I doubt this will be followed up.

...think it's Scheduled for Autumn over here, so it can be fitted in before metrodome's latest DVD releases start (headmasters) but don't honestly know if Rhino will ever get a copy of it as it is. Might make their own with the basic footage.

I think you nailed it on the head