Sigma Six News

Coil Crusher

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know whats weird. I have been looking at the action man figs from toy fair as it looks to me like they are also getting this similar format. The smaller figs look to me that they have the same style as the joes. So now it seems both us and our friends across the pond get it in the end from Hasbro.

I'm one of the initial naysayers about the Sigma 6 line. When I first looked at the photos, I didn't have much time and really jumped to conclusions before looking them over thoroughly.

Well, I've had some time to look at the prototypes, and I think they actually look pretty cool. I don't like them enough to consider them worth of replacing the 3.75" line, though. I can understand the logic behind the switch in scale. Below are some point supporting the Sigma 6 line with my personal views on each point.

1. Relaunches have had a success in the GI Joe history. Sure, Sgt. Savage and GI Joe Extreme were failures but look at the success. GI Joe debuted in the early 60s. About 20 years later, GI Joe was very successfully relaunced as RAH. I'm sure fans of the original Joe line balked at RAH at the time. Well, it's been 20+ years since the RAH line, so Hasbro probably figures that it's time for another radical change.

(Counter)point: Sgt. Savage and Extreme were just bad desicisions. The slight increase in scale of Savage didn't differentiate the product enough to warrant a relaunch. Extreme just didn't fit GI Joe in design and was too far astray from the GI Joe story. The RAH relauch was such a huge success that Hasbro might be able to pull it off again. We fans certainly have a right to be weary though. The 60s line had died off for years before RAH surfaced. The RAH line is still doing rather well today, so relaunching the line while there's still life left in the current line is a little odd.

2. GI Joe lines have revolutionized the toy industry in the past. The 60s line began the 1:6 scale boy action figure industry. The RAH line (while not creating) cemented the 3.75/4" scale as an industry force. It also showed just how vast and deep a toyline could be. Well, Hasbro might feel it's time to try to lead the industry once again with a switch to 8".

(Counter)point: We know Hasbro is capable of great things. The attention to detail in the S6 line looks outstanding. I don't know if it's really going to be successful though. While it could be looked at as leading the toy industry, it could also be looked at as not paying attention to the current hot properties (JLU, Marvel Legends).

3. 8" scale versus 4" or 6". Like stated above, Hasbro is trying something new. Sure, Mego and Famous Covers have had similar scales, but each line wasn't done with big marketing pushes or many accessories. The 4" an 6" scales are very popular today, but Hasbro wants to start a trend not follow one. Besides, vehicles aren't really an issue these days.

(Counter)point: Again, this maybe be revolutionary or just plain stupid. The 4" scale is heating up right now. JLU and the impending Marvel Showdown, not to mention Star Wars and the niche success of BBi's 1:18 stuff, prove that the 3.75/4" scale is very popular. Ignoring that might be disastrous. Ignoring the new industry standard scale of 6" also seems odd. If Hasbro wants to follow the lead (with articulation) of Marvel Legends, they should make the Joes in the same scale as Legends. Skip the cloth segments (since they wouldn't look right in 6" scale) and make these suckers 6". I already predict that if Sigma 6 was in 6" scale, it would have much better feedback in the collector community and do better with the general public. The largest factor against 8" is the price. $15 a figure is ridiculous. That seems to indicate the line is aimed solely at collectors, which won't result in a very successful GI Joe line.

4. Vehicles don't sell anymore. We keep hearing that vehicles don't sell well in today's toy market. Vehicles are the entire selling point of the 3.75" scale Joe product. If vehicles aren't going to be ordered by retailers, why does the Joe line still have to be in a vehicle scale?

(Counter)point: I personally don't think the RAH vehicles haven't been selling well, because most of them are rather poorly done. They're too cartoony and Tonka-ish. I'd say go back to having them unassembled and therefore devoid of gimmicks. The newer vehicles have been rather nice, but the early terrible ones already ruined the possibility in retailers' minds. The 8" scale line still will allow a very few vehicles per year. Bratz is around 8" and features cars and such, so S6 vehicles (beyond bikes) are possible.

5. Accessories are a big part of the Joe experience. The Sigma 6 line certainaly doesn't seem to be skimping on accessories. In fact, they look really well thought out.

(Counter)point: Nothing to say. The S6 accessories seem to be pretty cool. Spirit's bow and Heavy Duty's gun seem to be a little out of control for my tastes, but the amount and design of each character's specific weaponry and accessories is pretty cool.

6. More articulation is very popular today. Hasbro has tried some new articulation to mixed success in the RAH line. The larger scale allows more articulation while keeping the durability needed for a kids' toyline.

(Counter)point: Obviously, the new articulation could have been accomplished in a 6" scale, which would have been preferable to many people.

7. The cartoon may be phenomenal. Maybe Hasbro has seen some of the show and realized they have something special on their hands. Maybe the inevitable success of the show really demands something special for a toyline.

(Counter)point: Let's be honest. Spytroops and Venom Vs. Valor were terrible animated projects. They catered to the very young and were very terribly written. Obviously, Hasbro wasn't too keen on them either, since S6 is in different hands. I thought Hasbro was having trouble getting a GI Joe series going a few years ago. Maybe the more "pro our Troops" feeling in our society has changed that trepidation by networks. If S6 is pretty edgy in animation style and doesn't cater to 5 year olds, Hasbro might have something rather successful on their hands.

Overall, I'm starting to be torn about Sigma 6. I think the toys actually look pretty sharp. I don't like everything about them. I think making Duke's color blue goes against what we associate with him. I think having cloth elements to the figures is interesting but not necessary. I think changing the scale to 8" as opposed to 6" or keeping them 3.75" will backfire on Hasbro. I'm also concerned about the team only consisting of 6 members. I'm curious as to who the other 2 Joe members are. My problem with having only 6 Joes is this means multiple of each Joe character. We're already familiar with getting numerous Dukes and Snake-Eyes, but at $15 each, how many people (parents especially) are going to want to buy a couple versions of Duke? This almost seems to work against the success of the line. At $15, I'd want a definative version of a character. Not a Space Man Duke.

And forget about army building. Hasbro has been milking us Army Builders by packing Army Builder characters with main characters, yet they do occassionally throw us a bone with AB packs. At $15 each, the only S6 army builders will be the rich and the insane. Ultimately, I think the high price point, unique scale, and small cast of characters will keep the S6 line from being a very large success. I think the RAH line will come back early next year and be tied into the S6 story. The 8" line will continue but with only an assortment or 2 a year for the next 2 years.

I'm interested but not very confident by this move by Hasbro. It smacks as some "fresh" idea by a new executive that's really trying to make a name for themselves by relaunching the Joe line.

Now, who are the other 2 Joes in S6? Hopefully, Scarlett and Flint will be them.

Sigma Six? should be called Sigma Sux. These damned things look like #$##. if they were on fire i wouldnt piss on them to put em out. Hasbro is becoming more like HASBEEN as of late. WTF is the problem with these assholes? Did they all play with BARBIES? Jesus wept, I for one am done with the whole crappy ass line. if they want to ass-#$### themselves I wont contribute to the anal rape of today's child imagination.

if they want to ass-#$### themselves I wont contribute to the anal rape of today's child imagination.

Too much current events on your mind maybe?

jackson.gifjackson.gifjackson.gifjackson.gifjackson.gifjackson.gif

@smilepunch@

if they want to ass-#$### themselves I wont contribute to the anal rape of today's child imagination.

@smilepunch@

Sorry my name isnt Micheal Jackson so small little kids dont excite me, much like this shitty line of Suckme six doent.

WTF??? When were these Sigma Six figures announced? And what's happening with the 12" and 3.75" figures? What's going on?!?!?!? @lol@

@bats@

See what crystal meth is doing to the youth of America?

@loll@

Jase

@bats@

Since you're out of the loop here, I'll fill you in. The 3 3/4 and 12 inch lines are put in hiatus for the 8 inch line.

He's not alone. I've been away for almost two months and this is the first I heard. I can't believe this.

Not fond of snakeyes so much anymore, IMO looks abit too much like beachhead :S

Whyed they put that lame green on em bah!

Stormshadow & sprit on the other hand... :) Duke may be decent enough as well :) THough he reminds me aheck of a lot like the small soilders leader guy LOL!

I can't wait to see the badies in this line! They need to put wave 2 out with them in it fast! What good is having a line of just heros!!

Sorry... Heros & one badguy :S @loll@ I got a feeling all the badguys or at least most of them, are gona look reallllyyyy sweet in this line :D

@smilepunch@

much like this shitty line of Suckme six doent.

That last line didn't help your cause. @loll@

@smilepunch@

much like this shitty line of Suckme six doent.

That last line didn't help your cause. @loll@

Maybe not, but still the issue is that Hasbro has been working on destroying the legacy of Gi Joe.

And now with the release of this "sigma six" Its accomplishing this goal with dramatic results. Perhaps you should read more forums than just this one.I am sure the over-all opinion is that this line just simply blows more than a 2 dollor whore on buy one get one free day.( not that i would know about that,, ahem.. ) back to the matter at hand.

like it or not we are all bound together in this mess. We are united by the power of our imaginations and the memories of a great childhood brought upon with the help of Gijoe.

If this " hiatus" becomes a ploy to try to bring back joes after 2 or 3 years, im not sure that kids will want to bother with the toys by then.

Also we as collectors, customisers, and all around toy fans will be more gun-shy about the resiliance of the lines they put out.

i told one member of this forum one night at our local Walmart that i was done with joes and hasbro.

Well i am not sure that i will ever be truly done with joes. its a part of large part of who i am and what i do to escape all the pressures of day to day life. however, if Hasbro continues to turn a deaf ear to its most important people , then i will have no choice but to stop buying their products.

After all as previously stated in this forum, There are plenty of toy companies just waiting to take my money to make me happy.

We're on your side Skorpion, with the news of this Yu Gi Joe crap! We're just funnin' with ya on your choices in expressing your displeasure with it. ;)