Want Tru To Save The Line?

Angelus

As everyone is very well aware, our beloved 3 3/4" line and the 12" line is going on a "hiatus". Many people are upset and have given up all hope on GI Joe. My friends, all is not lost. We do have one hope in continuing the line. It is Toys "R" Us. Without going into details I can tell you for CERTAIN that TRU is very aware of the line ending at mass retail and that they would like to continue exclusive products. What does that mean? Well, right now it means that we will be seeing the product at TRU up through Christmas of this year and if all goes well, it will go on.

What I need everyone to do that wants the 3 3/4" line to continue in one form or another is to let TRU know. I need EVERYONE to write TRU corporate and ask them to carry the line as an exclusive. I don't mean email them, contact them through the website, or go to TRU and tell a manager. I mean actually sit down and write a snail mail letter expressing your love and passion of the line. TRU needs to see how many of us love this line and how this line will be lucrative to them.

Here are a few suggestions/guidelines:

1. The letters need to be express your passion for the line but at the same time be mature. No swearing or ranting. Remember, Hasbro is the one putting the line on hiatus, not TRU.

2. Use your real name, not a forum name. Real names have much more impact.

3. If you have kids that love GI Joe, have them sign your letter or better yet, help them write one of their own. TRU loves hearing from kids and Moms.

4. We should try to stay away from form letters. If it takes a form letter to get you to send one the we will, but one letter with a lot of different names doesn't have the same impact as a lot of different letters from potential customers.

5. Feel free to write more than one letter. Persistence will show that you really do care for the line and that are serious in your intentions.

6. Include your phone number in the letter. TRU does not sell phone numbers so don't worry. They may call you though to gather more information.

To make the impact I think we need to make, I feel that we need to get 2000-3000 letters sent to TRU by the time the con roles around. Please don't be lazy and not write. Almost all of you post on these boards everyday. In the time it takes to do a few posts, you can have a decent letter ready. We also need all the lurkers to write as well.

TRU IS aware of the line being put on hiatus. They DO have an interest in keeping it. It is now up to us people. If you don't do something about it, don't complain anymore. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Wish us luck!

Now for the addy:

Toys "R" Us Inc. Headquarters

One Geoffrey Way

Wayne, NJ 07470-2030

*As a reminder, please be mature and positive in your letters. If you are going to be negative and #$##/moan then don't write.

**I would like to remind everyone that this is a PLAN to save our line. I do not have "inside" info that I am not sharing. I simply feel that doing something to try to save the line is better than soing nothing.

YO JOE!

#US1#

Mike

Yeah I'll write one.....if I ever hope to hang on to the slim chance of getting a Terror Drome, TRU is where it's gonna happen....so I have a lot to gain by helping to keep it going AT TRU. I'd also like to get a Moray and a HISS 2 and Again...TRU is the place where that will happen.

Im not so certain TRU can even save ITSELF.

which is exactly why they would be willing to try this, toy companies want tru to succed, and tru wants to get us fans in there becouse too many parents just stop at wal-mart for their kids.

WHile tru is 2 hours away for me, alot of my wife (will be in less than a month!) family lives up there and it would be really easy for me to stop in whene we go visit. I might not want to fi there is no joes, or i could get them elsewhere, but if joes were there, i 'd make a trip just for em.

Get an actual flesh-and-blood name to send these letters to and you MIGHT get the attention of someone at TRU.

Save the mail room some guessing, do some research and find a name to put on the envelope.

I just had a Glorious thought....GI JOE:ROBOT REBELLION (exclusively at Toys r Us)! I KNOW that they had at least the first wave of stuff designed, wouldn't it be sweet if TRU picked up the whole line as an exclusive? That would sure get some foot traffic in there! They could release the Robot Rebellion movie as a promotional item, or such. Angelus, count me IN!!!!!!!!

On a side bar, I think we should suggest that TRU send a representative to the Joe Convention. They sponsor it every year, yet we never see any TRU people there. They should send a rep there to find out just how passionate we Joe collectors are!!!!!!

My only problem with this is that there hasn't been a TRU exclusive I've bought in major quantities since the B.A.T. APC and Python Patrol. If the people who write in pledge that they will buy a lot of TRU's exclusives then that would really attract their attention, especially if all the people who bought 20 or more of the Infantry pics also sent in pictures of their collections.

But if TRU is going to keep dishing out poor quality exclusives (I.E. the Cobra Urban Strike Team and Crimson Guard set) then why bother trying to get them to continue the line anyway?

If they have a good Cobra army builder lineup for the Imperial Procession set they've got coming out then I'll definitely write in to say great job and that stuff like this will help prolong the line and keep it successful. If they stick us with a "Greatest Hits of Cobra's Hierarchy" (recycled versions of CC, Destro, Baroness, etc), or some other lame mix of just Cobra unique characters then TRU is the first chain that should drop the 3 3/4" cause they obviously can't find their own ass in the dark with both hands, a road map, and a spotlight.

That's actually not true.

When a store enters into an exclusive sales contract, they are given a list of possible exclusives they can choose from. The *store* makes the call on what they will sell (they're the ones paying for the production of the toy solely for them to sell, after all)

So, yeah, TRU has *chosen*the 6-packs and vehicles they've sold in the past few years. Hasbro gives them options, but the final word is theirs.

That's actually not true.

When a store enters into an exclusive sales contract, they are given a list of possible exclusives they can choose from.  The *store* makes the call on what they will sell (they're the ones paying for the production of the toy solely for them to sell, after all)

So, yeah, TRU has *chosen*the 6-packs and vehicles they've sold in the past few years.  Hasbro gives them options, but the final word is theirs.

Yeah, but Hasbro still has to MAKE them and (here's the part they get sloppy with).....PAINT them!

I wonder exactly how the selection process works on something like this. Does Hasbro only pitch the theme to them, or do they have prototypes or even just pictures, of the items to choose from?

Nevertheless, the thing that has sucked about some of the TRU exclusives, is the quality of the paint aps on the figures within, hardly TRU's fault.

I will be writing mine as soon as I get off the boards,hope it helps I visit 3 TOYSRUS in my area so I will talk to the manager in all three.

Cant hurt,But Doc Evil is right hope toysrus will be around to fufill this request.

I will write them too. I may even show them my collection of TRU exclusives.

Im not so certain TRU can even save ITSELF.

What else needs to be said.

This is a good idea.....

No, make that a great idea.

However my excitement is somewhat muted in light of TRU's impending sale.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/01/news/fortu...ysrus/index.htm

This worries me a lot.

"The inclusion of Vornado and Kimco, both real-estate investment trusts, is indicative of how the buyers regard the potential investment -- largely as a real-estate play rather than primarily as an opportunity to operate retail stores."

Get an actual flesh-and-blood name to send these letters to and you MIGHT get the attention of someone at TRU.

Save the mail room some guessing, do some research and find a name to put on the envelope.

John H. Eyler, Jr.

Chairman of the Board, President

and Chief Executive Officer

My little bro wrote his letter, and i'll be writting mine, lol i got sidetracked custimizing. And thanks for the name

To ease everyone's worries, TRU will not be going under. Expect to see some store closings on some of the low volume underperforming stores. These stores will be closed and the real estate sold. As far as the others stores go, we are not going anywhere. TRU is still a profitable business and would be even more profitable if some stores would close and some stores would be relocated.