Another Scumbag...........*alert*

KENNY GUIDO

today, I walked into walmart in my town and I noticed a Princess Leia flashback figure and a POT2 green carded emporer's royal guard. I was like "cool, somone must have returned them." so, i decided to scan them and the Leia one read "$5.55-anakin skywalker". I was confused. I rang up the guard and he read $5.55-CLONE TROOPER".

I was really confused now. I thought "perhaps they are using old SKU's" but I took a look at the back, where the UPC was and noticed someone had made copies of new UPC's and placed them on older figures, getting close to a full refund on them or perhaps, store credit.

thoughts, anyone?

If someone had made copies of the UPC code and returned those items, then its fraud.

Did you take those items to the customer service desk and report it?

This is MUCH MORE serious a thing than switching in old figures, its actually tampering with the UPC codes. Its a crime--and the store will prosecute ( not you, you are safe) the perpetrator.

If someone had made copies of the UPC code and returned those items, then its fraud.

This is  MUCH MORE serious a thing than switching in old figures, its actually tampering with the UPC codes. Its a crime--and the store will prosecute ( not you, you are safe) the perpetrator.

Yes, I took them to the toy department manager and believe it or not, he seemed very interested in it. I hope they can control this because I dont need to see this person getting away with it because it could affect the stores inventory and keep us from getting toys in time.

a few months earlier, someone had hit the targets and walmarts in my area with gi joe 2-packs, taking the new figures out and replacing them with older, vintage joes.

This is  MUCH MORE serious a thing than switching in old figures, its actually tampering with the UPC codes. Its a crime--and the store will prosecute ( not you, you are safe) the perpetrator.

Yes, I took them to the toy department manager and believe it or not, he seemed very interested in it. I hope they can control this because I dont need to see this person getting away with it because it could affect the stores inventory and keep us from getting toys in time.

a few months earlier, someone had hit the targets and walmarts in my area with gi joe 2-packs, taking the new figures out and replacing them with older, vintage joes.

Its actually goes beyond the toy situation.

Someone pulling off this fraud can use the same technique on larger, more expensive items and literally cost the store thousands of dollars.

If the perp can use this on toys, what's to stop them from marking down a $1000 Tv to around $600 or $500?? Serious stuff.

Rest assured, they will want to nip this one in the bud very fas--and someone will be going to jail for this.

They will never know who did it. Not that I condone it, I don't but they won't know unless the catch him.

Draven

That depends.

Alot of stores are now apparently photographing folks that return goods--especially if a receipt is processed and time-stamped. this is to prevent frauds just like this from happening.

Old surveillance videos can be consulted and the person can possibly be narrowed down that way--corellating the time the reciept is entered with the time-stamp on the videos. Once they have a likeness, its just a matter of staying vigilant for the perp's next visit.

The chain security department is probably on the case on this one.

I know TOYS R US keeps track of people that return stuff to see if they are up something no good. I dont mind it but I hear if they see a patern, they can deny you a return/refund.

I dont think its fair because I have a child and parents know darn well out there that when it comes time for christmas and birthdays, alot of stuff goes back and its not fair but hey, they have to draw the line somewhere.

I know TOYS R US keeps track of people that return stuff to see if they are up something no good. I dont mind it but I hear if they see a patern, they can deny you a return/refund.

I dont think its fair because I have a child and parents know darn well out there that when it comes time for christmas and birthdays, alot of stuff goes back and its not fair but hey, they have to draw the line somewhere.

Yep... I had to return a bunch of figures that I had gotten for my cousins and brothers once... when I was woking full time, I used to travel a lot and I'd get figures all the time, one time I picked up a buttload of LotR and Star Wars figs and told them I got them some, but then my bro stopped collecting and my cousin forgot and picked them up himself... time passed and I moved and when I unpacked the stuff I was like... CRAP!!!! lol... I was gonna ebay them, but they were still recent enough... so I returned a couple that I had w/ receipts an dthe rest I took to TRU and figured I'd get store credit for the future...

The lady reamed me a new one, she told me that she was gonna put my name in the computer that way if I tried it again, they could stop me from doing it...

I told her to go ahead, I wasn't one of those "McFarlane sports guys that bought tons of figures and after I sold the rares or the interest was lost in the player and the price went down, I'd return them" Hell... before that I dont even remember the last time I returned something... oh wait... it was a pair of pants that was too baggy... but I got the next size down ;)

I really hope they catch this guy, all the have to do is scan the item, and see when it "came in" and depending on how good their Security is(if they actually tape 24hrs and catalogue all the tapes)... they should be able to narrow it down, seeing it's Walmart.. I'm betting they'll catch him... plus... they can alway post a picture of the figure next to the cust service desk an dnext time he comes in, and they see something like that... they can snag him... or... @smilepunch@ have the people at the desk actually look at the upc, lol.. but sometimes... some companies actually use that method to save on making different card backs...

all in all, I hope he's caught... figure swapping was bad enough... now this?

Man... I'm glad cars dont have UPC... lol

It's actually a pretty smart idea- at concept. In reality, it's f'n stupid. If he didn't have a receipt, he's screwed. Most stores require a driver's license to return for credit, so they could just track him down and prosecute him.

whenever i have to return something they usually have me sign their copy of the receipt. sure someone can practice signing with a fake name, but atleast its something.

Yup. Every time I have returned anything especally @ Wal Mart I have had to give my liscense and sign a silp with name and address.

This situation is pretty low though.

Not 2 long ago i went into a toys-r-us and was looking at the votc 12" figs. low and behold there sat a boba fett. Ipicked it up and to my dismay someone had already taken it home stripped it and brought it back. I told the manager. 3 things pisse dme off about the hole ordeal but i don't know wich was worse.

1. this crap happens in the first place.

2. they actually could not tell by the box that it was missing everything and should not have taken it back or/

3. they took it back and put it back on the shelf for $30 dollars.

Not 2 long ago i went into a toys-r-us and was looking at the votc 12" figs. low and behold there sat a boba fett. Ipicked it up and to my dismay someone had already taken it home stripped it and brought it back. I told the manager. 3 things pisse dme off about the hole ordeal but i don't know wich was worse.

1. this crap happens in the first place.

2. they actually could not tell by the box that it was missing everything and should not have taken it back or/

3. they took it back and put it back on the shelf for $30 dollars.

that pisses me off. I was in Toys r us yesterday and spotted a toys r us exclusive x-wing with r2d2. this was the first of 2 TRU exclusive x-wings. I scanned the price and it read $3.99. my friend whom works there saidf that someone had returned it that day. my son wanted it so I got it for him.

when I got it home, I noticed something was missing. to my surprise, it was returned W/O the gear and the R2D2 was swapped for a much crappier one.

*UPDATE*

I went back this morning and much to my surprise, the firgures with the altered UPC's were placed right back on the pegs!!!!

I was pissed, not for the fact that someone had did this but when I presented the problem to an employee, it basically fell of deaf ears. I went over to a manager and explained it to him AGAIN and he said he would bring it up at the next meeting.

oh well, I tried!