What Happened?

Crimson Twins

I just got back to the states, and it looks like everything is going to hell. What is all this Sigma crap going around? I missed some big news it seems. Not only do I come back to a town with nothing new Joe wise, but now I find out my beloved 3 3/4 may be killed off forever. Somebody please get me up to speed.

No. Our Joes are not gone forever. Hasbro is well aware tat there is a huge *collectors* market for them, but they made the choice not to try and please what is a niche adult market via a mass-market toyline geared toward kids. Instead, they've created Sigma Six for that purpose, and have put the collector-oriented lines on hiatus for a time.

The G.I.Joe name is one of Hasbro's 2 home-grown money-makers, so there will always be product created for both kids and collectors. For the last 3 years, it's been pretty collector-only, with kids grabbing on as an afterthought.

So Hasbro's going kid-only for 2005, and if successful, this'll be the new standard for G.I.Joe. But the 4" line we've been loving will return someday (soon, if insiders are to be believed). But they will not return as a 4 wave per year, multiple store exclusive, tons of vehcles, repaints, and repacks in as large a volume as they've been since the 2002 relaunch. Likely, it'll be a much smaller scale, without the kid-geared aspects like Action Attack and Venom monsters.

Both the 12" and 4" Joe lines have been cancelled/put on hiatus. In their place will be a new 8" series called GI Joe: Sigma Six. Each figure will be priced at $15 each. Sigma Six will also have its own cartoon show.

Apparently several of the sets for the 4" will still be realeased, before the line is officially canceled. Those apparently include Comic Packs #9, 21, 49 and that other one (I don't remember the number) as well as at least the Crimson Guard TRU six pack.

Hope that helps.

No. Our Joes are not gone forever. Hasbro is well aware tat there is a huge *collectors* market for them, but they made the choice not to try and please what is a niche adult market via a mass-market toyline geared toward kids. Instead, they've created Sigma Six for that purpose, and have put the collector-oriented lines on hiatus for a time.

The G.I.Joe name is one of Hasbro's 2 home-grown money-makers, so there will always be product created for both kids and collectors. For the last 3 years, it's been pretty collector-only, with kids grabbing on as an afterthought.

So Hasbro's going kid-only for 2005, and if successful, this'll be the new standard for G.I.Joe. But the 4" line we've been loving will return someday (soon, if insiders are to be believed). But they will not return as a 4 wave per year, multiple store exclusive, tons of vehcles, repaints, and repacks in as large a volume as they've been since the 2002 relaunch. Likely, it'll be a much smaller scale, without the kid-geared aspects like Action Attack and Venom monsters.

So Hasbro's going kid-only for 2005, and if successful, this'll be the new standard for G.I.Joe

You know I keep hereing this every where and let me tell you IMHO that is complete and utter bull Sh#@. How many kids can afford a $15 figure?

I mean come on I have two kids one is five, the other two years old. If I buy them each a Joe and a Cobra to fight your talking $60 bucks for four figures. @loll@ I mean WTF what is Hasbro smoking, drinking, snorting or a combination of all three?? There is no way I going to pay $60 bucks for four figures. Just think how much some little tank or jeep would be for these things.

This Line seems more collector driven than the 3 3/4 line and guess what most (not all) do not want any part of this eight inch line.

This is a stupid move for Hasbro no matter how you look at it

Andrew

Apparently several of the sets for the 4" will still be realeased, before the line is officially canceled. Those apparently include Comic Packs #9, 21, 49 and that other one (I don't remember the number) as well as at least the Crimson Guard TRU six pack.

Hope that helps.

The list of product left before the hiatus:

Wave 7 figure packs

Wave 2 Adventure Packs (Kamakura with bike, Sand Viper w/ Air Assault, Depth charge w/ wave crusher)

Wave 4 Comic Packs (Issues 21, 24, and 49, issue 9 was supposed to come later this year, but who really knows now, we will NOT be getting that issue before the hiatus, thus no Breaker or Scarlett)

Wave 5 Alphas (Venom Chamber and Desert Coyote)

And TheJoeCompany has indicated they are due another bravo assortment as well.

As far as TRU exclusives: the Greenshirts and CGs are definately coming (or in the case of Greenshirts, out at stores already), as well as Winter Ops and Imperial procession (both due around May). We know of nothing beyond those, or if TRU will continue getting 6 packs and RAH vehicles when Sigma Six launches.

>>This Line seems more collector driven than the 3 3/4 line and guess what most (not all) do not want any part of this eight inch line.>>

Well, first off I'm not sure how accurate that 15 dollar price tag is, cuz like you said, how many parents would really buy them?

Second, regardless of whether *you* think it's too high, this line *is* trying to target kids. Just because logic tells you that they won't sell well doesn't mean Hasbro isn't trying it anyway.

Hasbro was well aware that adult collectors were not going to like this move. They know this is a risky move. But they're taking it because without kids, G.I.Joe will die in the eyes of the Big 3, and *no* GIJoe products will be sold ever again, because if WalMart and Target ain't on board, a toy company can't pay the bills.

Pretty much what will happen imo when it relaunches

Draven

But they're taking it because without kids, G.I.Joe will die in the eyes of the Big 3, and *no* GIJoe products will be sold ever again,

Pretty much what will happen imo. @smilepunch@

we all hate hasblow for killing off the 3 3/4in line . and glad to see that your back home.

Actually, we DON'T all hate Hasbro. Thanks though. @smilepunch@

Yeah when did they kill the line? H I A T U S........ @smilepunch@

Draven

When will it be back since they put the zoids line in hiatus for the 2k4 yr and yet no word of it still. Is hiatus a polite way to say cancel? I know they will eventually return as in a form of limited exclusives since they are popular, but how long do we have to wait?

we all hate hasblow for killing off the 3 3/4in line . and glad to see that your back home.

Draven

Okay, how about they just hate Hasbro for however long the "hiatus" lasts?

6 months? A year? 6 years? A decade? @lol@

Hiatus can be however long they wish.

Draven

Okay, how about they just hate Hasbro for however long the "hiatus" lasts?

6 months? A year? 6 years? A decade? @lol@

Hiatus can be however long they wish.

YEah true but I think they know how long it will last already. @loll@ Breaks can be good for teh wallet some times. ;)

Draven

YEah true but I think they know how long it will last already. @loll@ Breaks can be good for teh wallet some times. ;)

Draven

Could have taken the "break" without the announcement of it though. Not seeing any new Joes for "awhile" would have been no big deal really, especially with the upcoming convention.

To feel it necessary to make such a controversial announcement regarding the future of our Joes, would tell me that it's going to be quite some time (if EVER) before we see any likeness of them at retail again, thus the expected LONG delay had to be explained.

All the stuff that's coming out now, like wave 7, the Greenshirt 6-pack, the Crimson Guard 6-pack and the handful of other items still slated for the year, would have held us over until convention time came around, and THEN, at that venue, an announcement from Hasbro themselves DI..RECT..LY could have been issued to us.

The news would have explained the reasons behind it and the EXACT intentions behind the temporary hiatus for the 3 3/4" line.

Saying something like "due to the popularity of wave 6 and 7 with the 3 3/4" G.I.joe line, we've decided to take a momentary hiatus from production at this time, as we've decided to completely revamp the line and work in the new features and molding techniques, to give the new figures our COMPLETE attention!"

I would have thought "COOL...I'll be able to get caught up on some army building with the Snow Wolves, Crimson Guards and Vipers, and save up some money for the NEW and IMPROVED figures when they come out!"

They didn't do that though! It's a big freakin' conspiracy or something? Ulterior motives abound in the world of Toy company verse giant retail chain? @lol@