Thomas Wheeler

Zanzibar

Well, having never met him personally, he is reputed to be a bit of an ass. I know he writes a column for Mastercollector (that is somewhat negative in tone most of the time), and has been credited for helping with the Con sets and a few other things. There was a bit of a brou-haha at last years Con where Mr. Wheeler was supposed to have gotten into a screaming match with some of the Hasbro guys. That's really about it.

then there was the nasty letter he wrote toy fare when in one of there interviews on the last page a guy call the 3 3/4 inch joes "turd sized" LOL

when i first started costomizing the only place to see customs was yojoe.com and his customs (were very good!) but i was kinda put off with his tone on there "how to" section where he said "unless customs look like they were hasbro made then you should not customize!" (thats not an exact quote but it was something like that?) just starting out my customs looked more like kindergarden made! so i stop customizing for a few years because of that!

he also wrote alot of letters to the old marvel comic most of witch they printed and can be found in the letters section of the old run! and i think he lives in Arizona?

TM

TM

Thomas Wheeler is a long standing G.I.Joe collector who writes reviews of various collectibles for Master Collector. He has been responsible in assisting with the conventions since 1992.

There are a great deal of falsehoods and rumors running around about him by people who disagree with his point of view. He is a very matter-of-fact person who makes no apologies for his opinions.

I have known Thomas for a great many years and have found him to be not only one of the nicest people I have ever met in the fandom but a genuinely good person who holds strong opinions and as such gets a bad reputation for his views.

As for the convention last summer, those events are grotesquely over-exaggerated for the sake of being sensationalistic. There is nothing to prove that such an event took place and no one I have spoken to has been able to confirm such a repugnant report.

We are all entitled to our opinions and belifes towards the hobby as it is as personal as we want to make it. And needlessly bashing someone because of their opinions is utterly pointless.

He writes toy reviews for Master Collector. He's not very objective. I remember reading a review a few weeks ago for the JLU three-pack with Dr. Fate and Green Arrow in it. He seems to think that a toy review is a good place to share his religious and political beliefs. Here's a couple of quotes from his review:

About Dr. Fate:

"I'm not, as a Christian, entirely comfortable with mystic-type characters, but at least in the comics they don't tend to come across as "legit" as Harry Potter, or the real-life Wiccans, who are toying with very dangerous spiritual forces at the risk of their souls. When it comes to the likes of Doctor Fate, it helps to consider the character as entirely fictional, with no basis in actual mysticism."

About Green Arrow:

"GREEN ARROW is the DC Universe's resident archer. He's Oliver Queen, former rich guy turned mostly urban street hero. The character in the comics, and thankfully to a lesser degree, not only tends to be arrogant, but he's got this way leftist mindset that originated with a series of stories by Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams in the 1970's, when, partnered with Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), the archer took his cosmic buddy on a cross-country trip to discover the "real America", basically turning the journey into an activism crusade. I think it was around this same time that Arrow's one-time sidekick Speedy started doing drugs, too, which I think made the one valid point in the whole debacle -- your average liberal activist would be better off staying at home and taking care of the family."

Its not that I begrudge him the right to believe what he wants, I just don't think personal beliefs belong in a toy review. I was so suprised to read this stuff that I sent him an email about it, but he never responded.

Thomas Wheeler is a long standing G.I.Joe collector who writes reviews of various collectibles for Master Collector. He has been responsible in assisting with the conventions since 1992.

There are a great deal of falsehoods and rumors running around about him by people who disagree with his point of view. He is a very matter-of-fact person who makes no apologies for his opinions.

I have known Thomas for a great many years and have found him to be not only one of the nicest people I have ever met in the fandom but a genuinely good person who holds strong opinions and as such gets a bad reputation for his views.

As for the convention last summer, those events are grotesquely over-exaggerated for the sake of being sensationalistic. There is nothing to prove that such an event took place and no one I have spoken to has been able to confirm such a repugnant report.

We are all entitled to our opinions and belifes towards the hobby as it is as personal as we want to make it. And needlessly bashing someone because of their opinions is utterly pointless.

I have to second this.

Mr. Wheeler is a long-time GIJOE fan--very passionate about the hobby and the toys. Sometimes I have a differing opinion with what he says, sometimes I agree completely.

I will say that he stepped up to the plate to assist me in a very unusual trade about two years ago--for some Series 1 Marvel Legends and a box of cereal ( long story)! He was happy to do it and personable throughout.

He's a good guy when it comes right down to it.

He's earned my respect the hard way.

I think the easiest way to contact him/ learn about him is on the Usenet alt.toys.gi-joe, alt-toys.gi-joe.1980s, and alt.action-figures.discuss forums.

Edit: on the subject of "incidents" at conventions. These can be the stuff of urban legends or they can be actual facts. In the few conventions I have attended I've been indirectly privy to friends having altercations with other fans. It does happen because strong passions and strong personalities can sometimes be a bad mix.

I love Thomas Wheeler. Everything I have ever heard him say I agree with.

And he was one of the first people I ever did any buying or trading from on the internet.

That about sums it up... I was at the con and whenever this rumored tirade happened and I've only ever heard second-hand info about this. Everything has ranged from not liking the stuff in the display to full out screaming at some Hasbro people. I think the whole tale is wildly overblown.

On a personal level Wheeler's no worse than several other hobby-related personalities I can name. He has his opinions just like everyone else and he doesn't back down from them. But if you get to know him he's a good guy.

One thing that isn't a legend, when I first got online, Mr. Wheeler was ardently against the globe-like logo on the (now all but forgotten) GI JOE micro machines. Since they barely tied into anything truly ARAH, I found his repeated complaints a bit much.

Also, he passionately hated paint wipes on the Real American Hero collection. I had mixed feeling about them myself, but he acted like Hasbro ran over his dog and posted his dislike of them to the point he annoyed almost everyone on the usenet forums.

He has had well known disagreements with fans, Hasbro, etc. He was banned from Joecustoms forums. (So was I, though @firedevil@ )

Not to say he's a bad person, because I don't know him personally.

He wrote some articles for forgotten a Toy Magazine Collectible Toys and Values was the name, IIRC. This was when action figure collecting was essentially an underground hobby, and there were almost no magazines for it. Articles about 3 3/4" Joe were even rarer. I appreciated his contributions in those dark ages.

I seem to recall that he was an adult when 80's Joe began, too. So he's not of my generation. Which seems a bit odd considering how passionate he is about RAH.

About Dr. Fate:

"I'm not, as a Christian, entirely comfortable with mystic-type characters, but at least in the comics they don't tend to come across as "legit" as Harry Potter, or the real-life Wiccans, who are toying with very dangerous spiritual forces at the risk of their souls. When it comes to the likes of Doctor Fate, it helps to consider the character as entirely fictional, with no basis in actual mysticism."

i couldn't help but notice this. lol a bit consertive huh? (not that i haven't been called that in my day) but magic is right in the bibl, Saul (a beleiver, although fallen at the time) used it. i won't go there more than that. just a pet peeve of mine when people seem to be a little pushy with an agend agaisnt a group instead of love like we are supposed to. As i work with kids who think all Christians are like this, and it gives people an out to get them mentatility. Glad he is a chrisitan though, disagree or not. It takes conseritives, liberals and moderates to balance out the world.

Stuff like that though, could make people form negative opinions about him, becouse of some stuff he said. Sounds liek he is getting a bad rap.

but magic is right in the bible, Saul (a beleiver, although fallen at the time) used it.

Preach it Rev!

however, Saul did not use it himself...

Saul consulted an evil Seer to inquire about the future.

God frowned on it and punished Saul.

Don't forget when Moses confronted the Magicians at Pharoah's Court as another example.

@firedevil@ If you believe in the Devil, then you know he is a Spiritual Being who can travel the face of the earth. It would make sense that he has a lot of unnatural power. The Devil and his fallen angels have roamed the earth with man since the beginning of history.

Although God is ultimately in Control of everything and works events according to HIS-story.

but magic is right in the bible, Saul (a beleiver, although fallen at the time) used it.

Preach it Rev!

however, Saul did not use it himself...

Saul consulted an evil Seer to inquire about the future.

God frowned on it and punished Saul.

Don't forget when Moses confronted the Magicians at Pharoah's Court as another example.

@firedevil@ If you believe in the Devil, then you know he is a Spiritual Being who can travel the face of the earth. It would make sense that he has a lot of unnatural power. The Devil and his fallen angels have roamed the earth with man since the beginning of history.

Although God is ultimately in Control of everything and works events according to HIS-story.

I know most of the stories pretty well, for awhile when i was a youth i thought it was fun to baffle some people with those stories. As they were saying magic wasn't real at all. Yeah, its not as simple as some people want to make it, those power are out there, if God grants you those power (phropets at the wailing wall) or you ask him for for it (prayer for mircales, ex: Rain and Sun stopping) that's different than seeking it from the devil. and the old testement may saw suffer not a witch to live, but Christ said ( via the story about ye without sin casting the first stone) that man could not punish man, for they were not righteous enough, and that we need to let God deal with that and love everybody.

oh man, we are so off topic lol. Forgive us!

so that wheeler guy...

why doesn't he come to tni? cause aren't we like the best place ever yo?

I bet this Wheeler guy had a heart attack when he first learned "Devil's Due" was going to be publishing G.I. JOE comics.

lol, i have actuatualy thought about that, and wondered if that factered in to why hasbro didn't give credit to jerwa for writing ninja battles comic. Parents could not like that name.

I bet this Wheeler guy had a heart attack when he first learned "Devil's Due" was going to be publishing G.I. JOE comics.

Probaly nothing compared to what he'd find READING it.

Considering how he thought paint wipes were an abhorrent crime against God and man and all the fishes in the sea, Im suprised he didnt flatline with each new gimmick introduced from 2002 on. I mean you may have thought *I* was a real hardnose agaisnt certain stuff, but his stance on paint wipes and the globe symbol for the Micro Machines made even ME look Liberal.

As far as the Con incident last year, there was no "screaming match" per se, although Thomas did direct some choice words in Deryl DePriests direction, in what could be clssified as a "moderately heated" discussion. Tales of it floating around the net have been blown severely out of proportion however.

Witness #1.

Thomas Wheeler was the skinny guy who wore all black and carried that knapsack around at '04 Joecon right?

I remember his little debate with Depriest.I don't remember the exact details of it,but basically he and Depriest traded some words about the particular subject matter that Wheeler was discussing.To be honest,I think a lot of the fans in the room were shaking their heads and laughing to themselves in regards to Wheeler's comments.

He was also GLUED to Depriest's side for long periods of time during the floor exhibitions when DDD was out there.I remember that for sure because I know Tom wanted to ask Depriest some questions but he couldn't because Wheeler didn't want to let go of his hand.