Hasbro: Dirty Trend Copiers!

SentinelPrime

With Transformers Armada, Hasbro tried to cash in on Pokemon using a tried and true vehicle, imitating something that was hot, instead of tapping into the true essence of Transformers.

It's happening again, with Gi Joe. Instead of taking Joe and making it as "Gi Joe" as possible, really getting in there and finding the true spirit and art of it, and making Joe popular because it Joe, they feel the need to morph into the anime-animated-style that started getting hot 2-3 yrs ago.

Of course, once you try to copy a trend, it's far too late, and by the time it gets to market, another trend is in place. An endless circle of searching for the hip.

So, instead of copying a trend, MAKE one! It happened in the 80s with Joe and TF becasue of good ideas and execution. There were army toys, and Go Bots, but we know what made TF and Joe stand apart, and Hasbro need to find it, instead of chasing other companies successes.

So there.

It's happening again, with Gi Joe. Instead of taking Joe and making it as "Gi Joe" as possible, really getting in there and finding the true spirit and art of it, and making Joe popular because it Joe, they feel the need to morph into the anime-animated-style that started getting hot 2-3 yrs ago.

They did make it as "GIJOE" as possible. Have you been out of the solar system for the past while??

The 12" 40th Anniversary sets were near-exact reproductions of the original 12" GIJOE line from the 60's. As colse as humanly possible to the originals, right down the packaging styles and the way the parts were secured to the packages ( with strings, which almost no-one does anymore)

The 3 3/4" Comic sets and matter of the latter standard figures were also very close or enhanced product to the originals.

Neither scale sold to expectations--though much of the product did sell on clearance meaning a loss was taken.

The numbers don't lie--GIJOE has been changed because not enough people were buying it. That means that there is not a strong enough interest.

They did make it as "GIJOE" as possible. Have you been out of the solar system for the past while??

The 12" 40th Anniversary sets were near-exact reproductions of the original 12" GIJOE line from the 60's. As colse as humanly possible to the originals, right down the packaging styles and the way the parts were secured to the packages ( with strings, which almost no-one does anymore)

The 3 3/4" Comic sets and matter of the latter standard figures were also very close or enhanced product to the originals.

Neither scale sold to expectations--though much of the product did sell on clearance meaning a loss was taken.

The numbers don't lie--GIJOE has been changed because not enough people were buying it. That means that there is not a strong enough interest.

Um, have YOU been out of the solar system, you pompous troll? For starters, the 12" segment of the market is very small in comparison to the 3/3-4" line. The comic packs all sell very well, as evinced by 7 local retailers selling out of the first 3-4 shipments of each wave. Granted, the 12" figs were TOTAL shelf warmers.

As for the 2 packs, each wave of these sells out for 2-3 shipments. But of course, Wal Mart ordered 100,000,000 cases to get a break, so now guess what? They have too many. Vehicles sell through steadily for a month or two. That seems like interest to me. Oh, but our "expectations" were higher! WE can't be happy with the fact that 5 shipments sold through!

And I don't call adding action features, mutant hybrids and neon colors making it as GI Joe as possible, but I guess I've been "out of the solar system". Arrow, I wonder about you.

Um, have YOU been out of the solar system, you pompous troll? For starters, the 12" segment of the market is very small in comparison to the 3/3-4" line. The comic packs all sell very well, as evinced by 7 local retailers selling out of the first 3-4 shipments of each wave. Granted, the 12" figs were TOTAL shelf warmers.

As for the 2 packs, each wave of these sells out for 2-3 shipments. But of course, Wal Mart ordered 100,000,000 cases to get a break, so now guess what? They have too many. Vehicles sell through steadily for a month or two. That seems like interest to me. Oh, but our "expectations" were higher! WE can't be happy with the fact that 5 shipments sold through!

And I don't call adding action features, mutant hybrids and neon colors making it as GI Joe as possible, but I guess I've been "out of the solar system". Arrow, I wonder about you.

Tell ya what guy, before you call me a "pompous troll"--you might want to check your own facts,

7 "local" retailers selling out, of how many in the country does not make for a respectable equation for a toy-line's success. The example is local, not global which it needs to be.

How much of that product was sold on clearance? How much on sales?

Different regions have different sale-throughs.

Profits only come when a product sells at its full suggested retail price, anything less than that and its losing money.

You are going to have to research a LOT harder before you can make any conclusive claims here.

Hasbro itself said, IIRC, on its webcast link that GIJOE sales in all scales across the board were soft-so the company itself is refuting your claim.

I could care less if you think I'm credible or not, go read the data for yourself.

3 3/4" was revolutionized pretty much by Hasbro and it's ARAH G.I.Joe line. It's THEIR baby!

What they're doing now is dumping that "baby" and trying to copy what they think the kids want, based off of the competition out there, and now trying to create something similar, not EXACT, and copying the style of these other toylines and only using the popular characters from their "baby" rather than relying the style of their toy.

This is what I believe Daredrummer was getting at, and why you find it necessary to be such an obnoxious ass when you're trying to be part of the discussions here Ken, is beyond me. You act like you deserve some sort of respect when you absolutely GIVE none! <_<

You need to step back and take a long hard look at yourself, because this theme seems to keep getting played over and over again wherever you are involved.

Coincidence?

Tell ya what guy, before you call me a "pompous troll"--you might want to check your own facts,

7 "local" retailers selling out, of how many in the country does not make for a respectable equation for a toy-line's success. The example is local, not global which it needs to be.

Profits only come when a product sells at its full suggested retail price, anything less than that and its losing money.

You are going to have to research a LOT harder before you can make any conclusive claims here.

Hasbro itself said, IIRC, on its webcast link that GIJOE sales in all scales across the board were soft-so the company itself is refuting your claim.

I could care less if you think I'm credible or not, go read the data for yourself.

Oh, perhaps you'd like to share some of the hard data you're reviewing currently, Arrow? So, Hasbro goes online, says sales are soft, and you take it hook line and sinker. "Oh, well, they said sales are soft! Must be a total disaster!" You know, I get these AOL disks that say how great it is. Maybe you'd like some of them?

"How much was on clearance?" New waves don't get put out on clearance. They don't go clearance until Wal Mart has had 57 cases of wave 3 sitting around for a year. If they ordered less, they wouldn't have so much overstock.

As far as local vs national, I live in freakin' Tennessee. Knoxville, 3rd largest city. So, if stores in TENNESSEE, in the STICKS sell out of 3-4 shipments of a wave, then I'd say that's fairly indicitive of a national example.

Do you argue like this with everyone? I'm not sure what you're even getting at here....

@ignor@

Is there ever a thread that you're in that doesn't burst into flames? It's sad when I see your name as a poster that I know there's going to be fight. :rolleyes: It's getting pretty damn old.

@bats@

Stilll waiting...

still....

still....

yeap... stilll waiting

\Oh, perhaps you'd like to share some of the hard data you're reviewing currently, Arrow? So, Hasbro goes online, says sales are soft, and you take it hook line and sinker. "Oh, well, they said sales are soft! Must be a total disaster!" You know, I get these AOL disks that say how great it is. Maybe you'd like some of them?

Here's some info for ya, straight from the horse's mouth.

Hasbro Web-cast

Its about 2 1/2 hours long and they mention GIJOE towards the end.

Feel free to back up what you say at any time, I'll listen.

@ignor@

Is there ever a thread that you're in that doesn't burst into flames? It's sad when I see your name as a poster that I know there's going to be fight. :rolleyes: It's getting pretty damn old.

@bats@

I have over 2400 posts here--if they all erupted in flames, I would have been banned long ago.

As it is, I've had maybe three warnings in all that time. That says 99.9999% of what I post is just fine.

not be rude to anyone, but why all the name calling? i'm an adult, and i'm sure you all are too...so why act this way? come on. the guy is right about joe not selling....at least as i have seen it, but there's no need for name calling. i work in a toy department for a retail store and see kids pass thru all the time, and they normally don't go after joe. they usually head straight for power rangers, yu-gi-oh!, etc. i see why hasbro wants to try the anime approach, but i don't like it either. i want my 3.75 in. joes!!!

Lmao you go arrow! PS if arrow says something about a new show/tv series, its most likely true ;)

Why?

Because he teaches some funky art class to middle school kids or something?

Or because he's Canadian?

You don't even collect G.I.Joe do ya Synch?

I have over 2400 posts here--if they all erupted in flames, I would have been banned long ago.

As it is, I've had maybe three warnings in all that time. That says 99.9999% of what I post is just fine.

you do like to start fights.. and your actions within the last few months have been borderline ban-worthy.

You just try to do your dirty work under the radar by not blatantly calling people names.

Lmao  you go arrow!  PS if arrow says something about a new show/tv series, its most likely true ;)

Why?

Because he teaches some funky art class to middle school kids or something?

Or because he's Canadian?

You don't even collect G.I.Joe do ya Synch?

Whats being canadain have to with anything hmm!? @smilepunch@

you do like to start fights.. and your actions within the last few months have been borderline ban-worthy.

You just try to do your dirty work under the radar by not blatantly calling people names.

Then feel free to ban me, if you find my presence in the forums objectionable. I adhere to the letter of the user-agreement--to which I agreed.

If you want to ban me for what I've posted, then you probably have to ban about a dozen other people as well, yourself included, for the same reasons. You have Doc Evil, Viper Hunter and Fade-out doing more than their fair share of unprovoked baiting of late too. If you want to apply the rules to me, you'll probably want to apply them to your friends as well.

I'm here to contribute in a well-read open forum. I will not always agree with people--nor will I chronically disagree. I do not call people names out of respect for the user agreement, the site owner and the posters--I stick to the point of the debate.

Its a pity that's not something everyone shares.

If I was going to be antagonistsic, I'd be a LOT more blatant about it.

I was told by another mod that there was ONE moderator in particular that was dead-set against me--thanks for clearing that mystery up for me.

If you are fair, I'll be fair.

Not too much to ask???

Then feel free to ban me, if you find my presence in the forums objectionable. I adhere to the letter of the user-agreement--to which I agreed.

If you want to ban me for what I've posted, then you probably have to ban about a dozen other people as well, yourself included, for the same reasons. You have Doc Evil, Viper Hunter and Fade-out doing more than their fair share of unprovoked baiting of late too. If you want to apply the rules to me, you'll probably want to apply them to your friends as well.

I'm here to contribute in a well-read open forum. I will not always agree with people--nor will I chronically disagree. I do not call people names out of respect for the user agreement, the site owner and the posters--I stick to the point of the debate.

Its a pity that's not something everyone shares.

If I was going to be antagonistsic, I'd be a LOT more blatant about it.

I was told by another mod that there was ONE moderator in particular that was dead-set against me--thanks for clearing that mystery up for me.

If you are fair, I'll be fair.

Not too much to ask???

You're not convincing me.

Your first sentence to me in this post:

"they did make it as "GIJOE" as possible. Have you been out of the solar system for the past while??"

Then you go on to elaborate on the 12" toys, which I didn't even reference.

Here's one in response to my feelings on corporate greed:

"Calling it greed simply means that the person doesn't understand the process."

THAT'S not antagonistic?

You're busted. Quit backpeddling.

You have Doc Evil, Viper Hunter and Fade-out doing more than their fair share of unprovoked baiting of late too.

I have a limited reading here, but from what I do read in the threads where the aforementioned users participated, it was only after they have been provoked that they get that way. Just my observation.

Arrow, first off, let me point out, your facts come from a group of confirmed liers. Hasbro has made a carrer of half-truths to its fans, so saying that hasbro said something doesn't hold any water.

But on top of that, seriously 10,000 repaints of the same mold is the "spirit" of Joe, not even close. I don't think hasbro seriously approched this product. Minimal comericals, no new cartoon to suport it (two "movies" barely count IMO) and a comic that actually only sells to adults. How is that marketing. I even ran into a long time joe fan who had no clue that joe was even still around yesterday.

add to that the line was dismal from the start. Wave 1 was a massive disapointment to many, many people. alot of old fans just scoffed and never looked at the line again. Never get a second chance to make a first impression. Basicly if the o-ring hadn't been removed, I doubt we would have had near the mess we have.

just some thoughts.

Few things to think about - doesn't this move in direction seem awfully Hasbro-internal political? If you said yes, you are correct.

Does this accurately reflect the status of sales figures? Not entirely. Blame echo assortment 12" sales for that. Long story there.

8" Joe didn't work for super Joe in 1977, 4.5" didn't work for savage in 1995, 6" didn't work in 1996. Hasbro will have their fun, it will flop, a new line manager will replace Billy and we will see what happens next in 2006.

As for Ken Arrow - he's always been the protagonist for Hasbro since the days of usenet. Let him be, some people will buy anything with G.I.Joe stamped on it, and he happens to be one of them. C'est la vie.

Our G.I.Joe is dead not because of poor brand management but because of inconsistent executive marketing directives since 2001. Consistent concept and construction re-design and a revolving door on creative teams. G.I.Joe was working with a stacked deck since 2000. Give this time, ignore the new garbage, support the comic and lets try to represent a unified fandom. Hasbro looked to us in 1996 for the 97/98 Joes, they will do so again in time.

You're not convincing me.

Your first sentence to me in this post:

"they did make it as "GIJOE" as possible. Have you been out of the solar system for the past while??"

Then you go on to elaborate on the 12" toys, which I didn't even reference.

Here's one in response to my feelings on corporate greed:

"Calling it greed simply means that the person doesn't understand the process."

THAT'S not antagonistic?

You're busted. Quit backpeddling.

I could care less about convincing you.

I suppose you need smilies for the proper context?

I don't do smilies--you'll just have to suffer.

If I wanted to be condescending to you, I'd have addressed you as if you were a juvenile or something like that.

"Simply not understanding the process" means just that--you don't appear to understand because you are talking about something that real business activity doesn't support.

Its a pipe dream you are talking about--and I'm telling you just that.

I don't call you "stupid" or "idiot" because that doesn't serve anything--- I DON'T KNOW YOU.

You, on the other hand were none too quick to address me as a "pompous troll", so please go check out what "antagonism" means.

You can back-pedal now if you want, btw.

You got what everyone else gets from me, an intelligently stated arguement. If you cannot handle that, are intimidated by that, or just plain do not like it...............too bad.

Everything I say is there to have its own holes shot in it, if I'm wrong.

feel free to prove me wrong--but remember, i WILL support what I say with outside material.

I don't BS people--if I have something to say, chances are pretty good I can back it up.

You are free to adopt or decline the same approach.