Bad Sales Didn't Kill 3.75", Corporate Greed Did.

SentinelPrime

We're arguing over two different things:

Arrow is pointing out how big business works

I am saying big business is corrupt and hurts properties through greed, which is inherent of big business

not really the same thing

One thing I will not miss about 3 3/4" GI JOE is some of it's so-called fans.

I'm not going anywhere! @firedevil@

Nope...

I'm not saying who I was referring to. @smilepunch@

Not gonna do it. @hmmm@

Greed as end unto itself makes some men wealthy and widely loathed. Nobody likes a rich man, they like his money.

Nope...

I'm not saying who I was referring to. @smilepunch@

Not gonna do it. @hmmm@

Greed as end unto itself makes some men wealthy and widely loathed. Nobody likes a rich man, they like his money.

(now I gotcha)

Excellent quote, btw

If you really want to "hit" hasbro where it hurts, Just refuse to buy any more Star Wars or Transformers.

Never have anyway! ^_^

I've been stickin' it too'em for quite a long while now I guess?

pssh I don't love Arrow, he annoys me but I don't want to get in trouble, someone else make fun of him for me.

Sorry guys I'm not sober right now :)

hey VH, can you make a bunch of pics with the Joes from the cartoon smoking weed, and a few of the joe figures too. And then say "This is what the fans need to do, CALM THE #$### DOWN" Heh that would rule!!!

just so you know leonardo, we have rules here about personal attacks and inappropriate material, and foul language. so please do not encourage any further personal attacks or ask for vh to make pics with inappropriate material.

just so you know leonardo, we have rules here about personal attacks and inappropriate material, and foul language. so please do not encourage any further personal attacks or ask for vh to make pics with inappropriate material.

Says the guy who posted a picture of Bombstrike at his crotch! hehe.gif

Well I'm not sure where to start.

I realy want to make this simple.

Alright here it goes:

First point is that GI Joe is one of many properties that Hasbro has.

The current state of GI Joe sales didn't single handely ruin Hasbro stocks......there were other things at work here.

So lets just get over the Idea that Joe will make or brake a a toy company. Or even have a dramatic effect on it's profet margin.

Now as far as Sig6 goes, it would have been an interesting line as a secondary but as a the only line in Joe, Hasbro knows better.

It is like putting all your eggs in one basket, not a smart business move. Also buting aside a successfull line with a line of different size and look is a major risk in this industry. Any marketing guy, business exec, and advertising exec will tell you that consistancy is the key to business. Extream changes is always a bad move.

If GI Joe was a separate stock right now a broker would tell you that this would be a bad investment because the Joe line way too different to even speculate on. It is a risk, plain and simple.

So I can't aggree that Greed is the root of all of this Sigma crap.

Greed is not the problem. If the company was greedy they'd come up with a way to make the current consistancy become better. "3.75 figs worked in the 80's, it's a solid formula, so what do we need to do to make it work now. What's been working for us so far?"

Sigma6 and the Hiatus of the 3.75 figs is a product of, not greed, but of young idealistic ignorance of product in which they are selling and the market they are reaching.

The new young business minds of today are going for what they think sounds "sexy" not for what works.

My old Advertising and Marketing mentor told me once that the problem with design and advertising today is everybody is too damn busy "thinking out side of the box" when it is time to start "getting back inside of the box".

Man that “Corporate Greed� line is so over used now it’s not funny.  The fact is you haven’t been doing Hasbro any favorers by buying there stuff nor have they been trying to do you or me favorers by making toys.  They are a company that is there to make money why knock them for wanting to make money.  @hmmm@

It not only Hasbro, It's Corporate Reality. If I can Find a new Job I'm Going to tell the Greedy Slave driving place I work for to F there self. If I get band for using the F Word I'm Sorry but I'm Freaking Pissed. Greed is Thing That going to bite the American Corporate In the Rear, yet is going to be to late when the finely reach the end of there chain.

Dropping these responses in here cuz DD's other thread got closed:

>>3 3/4" was revolutionized pretty much by Hasbro>>

Except for both the Microman and Star Wars lines that proceeded it. Kenner really gets the credit for making the ~4" scale popular with toy buyers. Hasbro took a concept that was pre-existant, and adapted it for their toyline. Absolutely nothing innovative about it.

>>It happened in the 80s with Joe and TF becasue of good ideas and execution>>

You are aware that Hasbro didn't create any Transformers, aren't you? Hasbro pretty much went to Japan, and collected a bunch of robot toys from all around the industry, and clumped them together. There was no "good idea" from Hasbro, they just stole someone else's ideas.

For that matter, if you're going to argue "new idea", why don't we go back to 1964, when Don Levine created the first action figure by, essentially, ripping off the concept laid down by Barbie five years earlier.

You can defend what you like all you want, but don't misconstrue facts. Nothing about G.I.Joe or Transformers has ever been "trend setting". They *have* been the toylines that perfected whatever genre they invaded, but the toys themselves weren't revolutionary at all. Without Marvel/Sunbow's contributions via commercials, cartoons, comic media, and pre-production development, what Hasbro originally envisioned for both the 3 3/4" Joes and the original Transformers were really not all that interesting.

Without Larry Hama, we would've gotten the Black Joe named "Ranger", the blonde haired soldier named "Mortar Soldier", a black-clad "Commando" figure, and a few fun vehicles. Without Archie Goodwin, we'd have no Cobra, and likely, we wouldn't have seen a second series of figures in 1983. G.I.Joe didn't even take the risk of individual molds, like Star Wars did. Hasbro's intial offering for G.I.Joe was really weak, if you remove Marvel's influence. That's why Hasbro went straight back to them in 1984 for the Transformers line. Hasbro, effectively, let other people do the work for them, and just sat back collecting the profits.

So to clamor for asbro to be "innovative" is really asking for something that's never been done, historically. Hasbro seems to do it's best work by taking what *is* popular, and putting their spin on it. By seeing what other companies have done wrong, they avoid many "growing pains" and mistakes of product development. and that gives their brands an edge and, in hindsight, staying power.

--------------------------------------------

And just to bring it back to *this* thread topic for a second. You're arguing about corporate greed *ending* this toyline, but you fail to take into account that it is the same corporate greed that *created* G.I.Joe 41 years ago.

Whether you call it greed, or standard business practice... whether you are happy with the current state of our economy-based society, or wish that a different civilization had evolved... the reality of today is that toys exist as a way for companies to make money. Lots of money. And for no other reason.

Toys are not innately artistic. As adults, we try to rationalize why we still spend time concerned with them, by overinflating their significance. But the fact is, even the "artists" who designed the 3 3/4" toys, like Ron Rudat and the Draxhal Jump guys, were working for a toy company, trying their best to justify their job by creating toys that would earn the company profit. Don Levine wasn't some patriotic man-of-virtue who imagined a world where G.I.Joe could symbolize the struggle of freedom over opression. He followed trends in sales of toy guns and role-play gear, and developed a toy that would capitalize on that trend.

You can argue that the 4 Horsemen tackled the He-Man relaunch with love and an artistic devotion. But their devotion was to a corporate-created profit-machine. They didn't just sculpt a bunch of statues for their own personal enjoyment, they took their love of that product, and used it to score a huge monetary deal with Mattel not just to do He-Man, but to act as Mattel's primary design/scupting house. It was a money move. No matter if it had an artistic undertone.

Is the world corrupt? Sure. Wouldn't it be nice to start over, and not trap ourselves in this world of compromise and "greed"? Absolutely. Does the fact that "this is the way things are" make it "OK"? No. But it does make them "the way things are." And all the well-wishing in the world won't change that.

But while you're fighting the system, DD, never forget: most, if not all, the things you cherish in this world exist because of the corporate greed you're trying to fight. It's what makes the fight so daunting, the end result so hard to imagine. Because we are, all of us, encompassed by a corporate reality and if we beat it back, and win our autonomy in this world, what will we really have to live for?

Certainly not G.I.Joe action figures.

Im going to sit back and watch Hasbro kick themselves in the ass again........

lets "rewind" a decade earlier when HASBRO announces that it was killing the 3 3/4" craze in order to keep up with the current action figure line of 5" figures.

one year later: GI JOE SS & EXTREME were both canceled because they tried to jump on the bandwagon a bit too late.

Ok, 2005....Lets make the same mistake that we did 10 years ago and cancel the 3 3/4" line so we can compete with the new 8"/animi line!!! WE WILL MAKE ZILLIONS OF DOLLARS!!!!

Can we say DE JA VU?

its funny how 40 years ago, HASBRO created not only a well known line, but a whole entirely new genre for boys and now, they are no longer the leader and must compete with the lesser knowns.

WAY TO GO, HASBRO!!! @rolleye@

Let me say that the people that buy GI JOE are not only the collectors, but are parents that buy thier children GI JOE also.

In case HASBRO didnt know, many people in this country are still a bit "tight" when it comes to funds and dishing out an extra $10 for a bigger figure aint going to cut it.