Does Anybody Feel History Is Repeating Itself

Zanzibar

with the announcement of Sigma Six and the 3 3/4 line in retirement, it feels history is repeating itself like it did in the 90s. the line craped out with Star Brigade/Mega Marines etc. then we got GI Joe Extreme and a new toon. and this was in 96.

For sure it is.

As long as we still get comic packs and stuff like that, I couldn't care less about Sigma 6... But yes, it is repeating itself. Even if you like Sigma 6, you can't deny that. Hasbro is again jumping on the bandwagon, and leaving GI Joe tradition in the dust. They've NEVER been able to do this well. Whether that's going to change remains to be seen, but given their track record, I wouldn't be suprised if they return to their roots eventually.

all i see happening is that hasblow is going to get hit in there a** and realy do damage to this line. for good i dont think they can fix it this time. dont they learn from the past ?well i guss they dont all i know is im going to save a lot of money when this hits the fan.im done as soon as the 33/4 line dies so do i for collecting joes. expect the 80s.

At least this time they are keeping the same characters. I'm sure the "continuity" will be given a facelift but I'm glad we are at least seeing the "Real American Hero" characters.

ok ya there keeping the names but everyone who grow up with G.I.JOE as akid in the 80s were brought up on 3 3/4in line. they need to stay true to that.

i agree with Nomad. i see the 3.75" coming back after a few months

I also agree I believe they are not getting cancelled but just taking a back seat so Hasbro can make a push for these on the market.

That is what I am hoping too.

Draven

That would make sense....if 3 3/4 took a more collector direction, I expected it to take a slight backseat with less produced a year. But I tell you someone is gonna get a ear full no matter what happens here. Hasbro will get ear full if it all turns out to be true and MC will get a earfull if they got their wires crossed...Either way someone is gonna be the target of a LOT of fan heat.

That would make sense....if 3 3/4 took a more collector direction, I expected it to take a slight backseat with less produced a year. But I tell you someone is gonna get a ear full no matter what happens here. Hasbro will get ear full if it all turns out to be true and MC will get a earfull if they got their wires crossed...Either way someone is gonna be the target of a LOT of fan heat.

Couldn't agree more, and if it turns true, then I would not want to be in Hasbro's shoes at the convention.

i agree with Nomad. i see the 3.75" coming back after a few months

Hell, we went from (just this morning) 3 3/4" Joes aren't going ANYWHERE and were told to just relax....to 3 3/4" Joes will be back in a few months!

At this rate, we'll all be told not to panic, Joes most certainly will make a return in 2008!

So I take it, that the 3 3/4" community is to be the rejected mate, maybe just temporaily, while Hasbro plays with a NEW prospect, and we'll just hang around on their leash, faithful and true, like a backup plan?

I feel so dirty, cheap, desperate and USED! ^_^

You know what I dont understand is why Hasbro feels that starting a new toon and 8 inch line will help sales or change anything. If they continue doing the things that they do then this line will fail as well. After reading the article that MC posted it seems sales were down. Well Hasbro needs to ask themselves why. They blame the kids arent buying it. Well maybe they should check their practices and practices of other companies that lost their flagship lines, namely Mattel. Lets look at whats going here. One, Hasbro continues to ship out repaint after repaint of the same 8 or so characters. Kids and collectors see this and neither kids or collectors are stupid. They see the same characters over and over again and get tired of them just like collectors do. Hasbro has over 300 characters and vehicles to choose from yet they continue to use the same ones. How many repaints of Snake Eyes or Duke can one person take? How many times before Hasbro realizes that these are the things that are making their line not sell. Now granted no ones like action attack, but if you had to choose between another Duke repaint or an Action Attack Barbeque what would you choose? Produce a variety of old figures and new figures. Two, Hasbro needs to really work on its quality control. Not just on the figures themselves, but all around the board. Shipping is terrible. How come Transformers seem to be everywhere with new updates every month or so yet some places still dont have wave 3 of valor vs venom? Maybe that could be another reason sales are down? The stores have the exact same stuff for months on end and alot of times they dont even have that. Alot of times the Joe shelves are empty while the TMNT, Transformers, Yu-Gi-Oh, Marvel Legends and the what not get regular rotation. I dont understand how the same company has different shipping practices for their major toy lines. Now it could be TRU, Targets, or WalMarts fault....who knows. Marketing....sucks. No cartoon, no commercials, and a comic that has cool characters but no toys ....way to market. Why start a new cartoon and a new line when you have a perfect line right here in the 3 3/4 line, as well as a perfect story. Granted we as adult collectors may not like the V3 scheme but if it was made into a half hour cartoon with story arcs kids would eat it up. Through the cartoon you sell the toys. I gurantee you thats why Transformers is doing so well. Without that cartoon it would be nothing. Why in the world would you put out a toy line first then a few months later show the cartoon movie on a station that alot of kids may not even have? Where are the commercials as well? Everytime I turn to cartoon network I see Energon commercials...but not one joe commercial...whats going on? Look at the comic. Now dont get me wrong I like it, but when I start seeing character like Lifeline, Zandar or Gen.Rey I start wanting to create my own battles. Can I....no of course not because they dont exist. Hasbro needs to work with Devils Due and get the word out that joe is it. Characters in the comioc book need to be a toy and vice versa. Kids read comic books, see the cartoon, then wants the toys. If you build it they will surely come. My last little rant about QC is that they Hasbro needs to take pride in they toy. Alot of figures have the same weapons, muddled backgrounds and so so paint quality. Yes kids do see that and dont like it either. I dont know to much about the way a toy company works but I do know whats right from wrong. All Im saying is Hasbro needs to see what it has and work with it onstead of scraping it. Hasbro needs to listen to the fans that have been with it since the 80's and get the ball rolling. I remember them saying thaat the kids dodnt like this or like that through the test group. Well maybe they should have a collectors test group or something...im not sure. I just wish Hasbro would really reconsider dumping their bread and butter.

You make some valid points Zod, but one major fallacy is your assumption that kids read comic books.

They don't

When I had access to a decent comic store, kids never went in there, and certainly did not buy GI Joe.

The fact is that the comic is not a viable marketing tool as it was in the 80s. Kids mostly don't read them and GI Joe is not all that available to many anyway.

I feel so dirty, cheap, desperate and USED! ^_^

yeah and this time i don't like it @loll@

... anyways...

Ddp does need to work with hasbro more, but to be honest Blaylock is a problem, a HUGE ONE. There new direction is again, going different than the toys, and mostly josh's idea, and josh is the awefull writer who has chased away a lot of people.

Kids could read comic books, if we could get em into the toy aisles.

$15 dollers for a fig hasbro is getting real dumb here.

The price point alone is going to kill them alone.

The marvel legends (which are te same size) are around $5.

I'm not even talking about the crappy mold jobs right now (but I will be) just the price issue.

Hasbro learned the hard way that wal-mart wont sell regular 3.75 star wars figures for $10 (now they are $2) no matter how special the packaging is. $10 for a 3.75 fig is just freakn lame.

Now they are climbing up a pip dream that they can sell a Marvel legends size figures for a price that is a few dollars than the 12 inch figs.

Hasbro has just not learned anything about pricing.

Oh while I'm on it lets talk about the new figs "sigma sick"

Sick fugly colors and sick fugly molds.

These things remind me of the new mold style of the star wars fig based on the clone wars cartoon and the new style for the teen titans and the batman.

Hasbro needs to be studying this board and see chazz's figure work.......oh wait a minuite they did see chaz's work last year and still they didn't hire him. If they wanted go bigger then these Chaz figs are the way to go.

Honestly If hasbro wants to make money the right way they need to go back to single carded figs and then go back to "build it yourself" vehicals. Once they do that Hasbro will be making their money back from all they have been losing on GI Joe.

But before I continue on this sore spot that the 3.75 figs are dead, is that actually true?

Where is the link that says that there will be no more 3.75 figs?

There is one smart move Hasbro is doing.....saturday morning cartoons....about time (asuming that means on regular TV)

You make some valid points Zod, but one major fallacy is your assumption that kids read comic books.

They don't

When I had access to a decent comic store, kids never went in there, and certainly did not buy GI Joe.

The fact is that the comic is not a viable marketing tool as it was in the 80s. Kids mostly don't read them and GI Joe is not all that available to many anyway.

I can give you that one Stevey, but there is no reason theat hasbro couldnt make a cartoon out of the existing line. It seems they are doing everything bass ackwards