Gi Joe 3/3/4 And 12 Inch Lines Bad News

Tazzzman

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this certainly sucks. I might buy one or two of the new 8 inch figures out of curiousity, but I am very unhappy about this. And, if Hasbro brings back the 3 in. versions later only in ARAH format, then I am forever out of collecting Joes ( I only have one 3 pack I got on sale for $3). ARAH was fine when I was young, but I want updated, new stuff, not something I would have found on the shelf 20 years ago (I realize I am in the minority.). I guess this will free up my wallet.

Still, even though I hate the old molds now, I would rather ARAH be on the shelf than for there not to be any 3 in. Joes at all since I know so many fans do still enjoy them.

Hasbro needs to continue a 3 3/4" "Collector's" line similar to the comic book 3-packs and Toys "R" Us 6-packs. They can be old sculpts, new sculpts, whatever . . so long as it is geared towards older collectors.

Imagine Hasbro releasing 6-packs 3 or 4 times a year with all-new sculpts that are as good as the new Snake-Eyes featuring classic ARAH characters from the 80s/90s. That would at least be reasonable.

This is my two cents. Hasbro is trying to get a younger fan base for joes with these 8". Once they establish that. They will reintroduce the 3-3/4 line with support from a younger fan base and a collectors fan base. Which means more 3-3/4 joes. Yeah I know it sucks that we won't be getting any new 3-3/4 joes for a little while besides wave 8 hopefully. That's what I think flame if you want.

I want updated, new stuff, not something I would have found on the shelf 20 years ago (I realize I am in the minority.). I guess this will free up my wallet.

Still, even though I hate the old molds now, I would rather ARAH be on the shelf than for there not to be any 3 in. Joes at all since I know so many fans do still enjoy them.

I too want NEW SCULPTS not the old stuff if we are in the minority it's a slight one.

Imagine Hasbro releasing 6-packs 3 or 4 times a year with all-new sculpts that are as good as the new Snake-Eyes featuring classic ARAH characters from the 80s/90s. That would at least be reasonable.

Heck, there are enough favorite characters in the DD series to support plenty of comic packs with new sculpts.

A good way to kill a potential fan base that relies on their parents to buy them their toys is charge $15 a figure! This is the new GI Joe Extreme. Sigma Six will consist of 2 waves and maybe a tailender wave and be done. In the meantime Hasbro will have alienated it's REAL fan base, once again.

BRILLIANT!

Guest jedisarlaac

@firedevil@ These 8" Yu Gi Joe's are not going to sell for kids, they are too big for one, and the people that really buy all the marvel and dc stuff, the larger more detailed ones tend to be adult collectors.

Hasbro just doesnt get it do they? they release 7 waves of not that godo VvV figures the most collectors do not want in quantity then are surprised when there are 500 sand scorpion, razor trooper, action attack storm shadows and gung ho's on the shelf, then they release the TRU Cobra Infantry Pack that sells out in no time, yet they dont release more, do they really think that kids, 15 and under went out and bought the trooper packs? I think not.

They finally release wave 6 and 7 VvV that actually look great and everyone is anticipating and will sell great and then tell us they didnt get the response they wanted.

They release the comic book three packs that sell well, then they limit the release of the last 6 of them.

They release the Gi Joe greenshirts, but instead of making them look great like the cobra packs, they make them look like corp figures.

It is like the people making decisions are suffering from manic episodes, wavering back and forth, getting excited then depressed, putting out a whole years worth of low quality VvV then hit the target bullseye with Wave 7 and then give up?

Are they desperate? Insane? Do they see 5-10 year olds buying yu gi oh cards and dragon ball z and think these same kids are going to be interested in military figures?

Gi Joe has been and always will be a collector item.

Hasbro, listen, I am 30 years old and I bought the very first 3 and 3/4 figures back in 1982 and I still buy gi joe, what does that tell you ?

The collectors grew up with GI Joe and want GI Joe, you want to make it more profitable, dont release 5000 sand scorpion and 45 versions of snake eyes, cobra commander and duke in the same year.

Release smalelr numbers, more character and pay attention to detail and craftmanship.

That is what matters , you do that and GI Joe will be a top seller again.

and if this is some kind of pre-april fools joke, it isnt funny !! @grumpy@ @firedevil@

What's goning to happen to all of the online etailers that specialize in joe?

I think they will be alright since lots of them sell the RAH line and were around before HASBRO came back in a big with with GIJOE, I think they will be alright.

I think this has more to do with Star Wars then anything else. The last movie is out this year, and the toys are being released at the tail end of Spring. 6.99 for two Gi joes or 6.99 for one SW figure. Hasbro probably can't afford to compete with itself anymore. The Gi joe figs have always sold very well around here, actually selling out everywhere during the holiday season. I believe Joe will be back at retail next year or the following. This just doesn't make sense. The newsletter did say that this was a temorary thing, or at least that is the way it sounded...

Joe have been put into retirement for awhile.

Here's my take on it!!!

Hasbro's bringing stuff out for us the first half of the year, by summer, the 3 3/4 figs will be dwindling in the shelves, and then when the stores reset their stores for the holidays, they'll have the new 8" line taking up most of the space, besides some 3-packs or TRU 6-packs...

By this time next year, we'll see our 3 3/4 line back in full swing, with a new theme(RR) and even better sculpt figures...

It makes sense in a way( in hasbro's eyes) cause they want people to concentrate on th enew line and make it succeed, they're probably worried that parents will still buy the little toys for the kids, and the 8" line will fail... I'm sure all of you would like to see that, but Hasbro doesn't want that, and I'm sure they're spending millions just revamping for the new line(sculpters, sculpt, molds, factories, and then advertising and all that)... so I'm gonna stay on the positive here, I'll get my fare share of 3 3/4 figures this year, my wallet will take a well needed break, and then I'll start over next year...

Not to mention, we still gotta wait to see what Hasbro has at the toy fair... @hmmm@

or was that posted already... I guess that's what I get for stayting up late playing Halo2 with JC.com members and sleeping in...lol

This may not be to far off from what is going to happen and i hope so.

However I ahve a very sickning feeling in my gut that I can't even begain to put into words. I had no clue this was coming, and all that I had heard in the past goes the complete opposite direction. I just don't understand fully yet. So till I hear what is officially going on I bite my tongue.

Draven

It's funny how Hasbro ALWAYS seems to bring something in to really upset fans and then basically sends their GI Joe brand team out to the Joecons to either 'smooth' things over,or be sent as lambs to the slaughter.Which I'm sure they're certainly going to be this year around, right?

You want answers for diminishing sales on the small line,Hasbro?Well,we've sure been giving them PLENTY of reasons here as of late:

-Constant and often more,BAD repaints

-Action Attack,need I say more?

-Some decent designs and molds,but HORRID paint schemes

-Starting the line off with T-Crotches in the first place

-Distribution,whether the stores are ordering or not,Hasbro keeps sending "old" stuff

-Vehicles have just NOW begun to improve as of late

I'm sure this decision though is coming from those suits up top who hardly know ANYTHING about the brand and its legacy.They don't know how to correct mistakes they've made until finally some advice got to their ear.And when they see that they want "more" money because they feel the brand is failing,they would rather just bite their gums and adapt to making GI Joe like every other action cartoon for kids thats out there. It'll no longer be unique,it'll no longer be special.I'm not saying that I won't give Sigma Six a try,but I think its certainly outrageous to do away with the 3 3/4'' line just when it was starting to get a lot of hype and positive feedback on designs.Snake Eyes,Bombstrike,the new Viper, etc. are all positive aspects of how Hasbro has managed to pick themselves up with this line and do something that can once again appeal to both collectors and kids.And if they're willing to go out on a limb with Sigma Six,why can't they with the end of VvV and then Robot Rebellion and hopefully more after that?

Though I am going to wait for an official press release by Hasbro itself. This is completely stupid and like it has been mentioned before,Hasbro is going to suffer from this.The only reason they say that the small line is going on hiatus "for a little while" is because they want to see how Sigma Six will play out.If it fails,I'm sure the small line will be back,if it doesn't...then who knows then?Its their way of say "Hey Collectors,we're ruining things for you but stick around because it all may be OKAY!"

Ridiculous.

I think this has more to do with Star Wars then anything else. The last movie is out this year, and the toys are being released at the tail end of Spring. 6.99 for two Gi joes or 6.99 for one SW figure. Hasbro probably can't afford to compete with itself anymore. The Gi joe figs have always sold very well around here, actually selling out everywhere during the holiday season. I believe Joe will be back at retail next year or the following. This just doesn't make sense. The newsletter did say that this was a temorary thing, or at least that is the way it sounded...

same here joes are gone before you know it and i bet your right about starwars. hasblow if your reading this complates dont kill of the 3 3/4in line if you know whats good for you.

what really steams my potatoes is that hasbro can obviously handle several lines of one toy series; star wars has their unleashed line, the clone wars animated line, and the main line. different scales, different styles, and they don't upset the collectors one way or another.

when it comes to gi joe, hasbro can barely manage their new sculpt line and classic re-releases without several fan backlashes.

there's not much else to add that hasn't been said before. the sigma six line should be aimed at the young'uns while the adult collectors get the perks of improved 3 3/4 sculpts.

I say this at the risk of being accused of being overly optimistic but...

Oh Well!! #US1#

I don't know about the rest of you, but I like to have earth shattering news, like my favorite toy line being "retired", confirmed by at least two reputable and reliable sources. Three is even better.

I realize that the folks behind Master Collector are supposed to be "in the know when it comes to Joe" (heh, that rhymes @smilepunch@ ) but, until I see definite confirmed news on an official Hasbro site stating that the 3 3/4" line is no longer being produced, and Toys R Us along with Wally-world both say they are no longer stocking/selling the toys, I will continue to look forward to the next release of figures.

Call me silly, *YOU'RE SILLY* but, I can't get too worried about this yet.

- Trooper

ROTFLMGDFAO!!!

Oh my, the immaturity in all these posts is beyond laughable.

<wipes tears from eyes from laughing>

People wanted to beat up Hasbro reps, toy designers and what not, geeez folks you should really read what you are posting again. I could plot a sine curve for all the ranting here!!

Its a toy line, people, not some Holy writ or a body part of yours. if it goes away, it goes away, its just product. The problem isn't that they've changed your toy, the problem is that you've crystallized and are holding onto to something a little too tightly. The comes all the equally ludicrous justifications.......priceless!

Hey, I've ranted about the new Bugs Bunny thing lately, but I'm not frothing at the mouth, ready to beat someone up. Time to get a grip.

Geez, I could really care less about the changes. if the toys are cool, I'll buy them, if not, well............I was forsaking GIJOE anyway.

LOL.

<walks off shaking head, chuckling.>

Come on Ken....you're just trolling. Seriously.

@bats@

He's right. This behaviour is dickish, even for you.

People are rightfully upset and youre just kicking dirt in their eye. Geez, I may be onery myself but even I wouldnt think of kicking someone when theyre down. There are some things some people ought to have the common decency NOT to do.

If the animation industry ever bottoms out, dont go into suicide prevention or any sort of counseling. That would require a level of humanity you dont seem to be able to muster.

Id say "Get a life" but what you REALLY need is a soul.

Jeff Cope on ROC just spoke with Hasbro - among other things, he posted this:

"Regarding the 3-3/4" line...Wave 7 is the last. The HISS IV repaint recently shown on Hasbro's site wasn't shown at Toy Fair.

When asked about the Comic Packs, and specifically the fate of the Devil's Due 3 pack they (Hasbro) said literally nothing. Just silence."

Wonderful. @grumpy@

Hopefully Transformers are next. @firedevil@

You evil son of a b#$!@#%! @smilepunch@

Heh heh heh atleast we transfans have an offshore anchor called takara..

Anyways with a movie coming out next year I don't see a TF problem @nana@ @nana@ @nana@

Man oh man , Heman , now this I hear a huge sucking noise and I don't like it.

It just seems like someone at Hasbro is always undercutting the 3.75" line. How many different people have headed up their Joe line in the past few years? DePriest and Stahl both got sent to the Star Wars dept. Seems like ever since 94, the line has only been kept active for easy money. Just a temporary fix, while they try find something "better". The Savage and Extreme lines were huge failures (and Extreme even had a cartoon and comic). So we got some junky looking repaints in 97 and passable stuff in 98-2002. But fans were demanding new stuff, so they offered us non-o-ring figures in 2002 and 2004. And some wildly out of proportion stuff in between. Towards the end of "Spy Troops" there was some decent stuff, and good stuff coming in the latter half of VvV.

But I guess we'll see what happens. Hasbro knows they're gonna catch major flak, and we'll see what they wind up doing. I wouldn't be surprised if they back off this tact sooner than later.

+-MWG-+

Ugh, and I used to like Hasbro. @grumpy@ I give this line a year or two until they chuck it and bring back the 3.75" and 12" ones. It happened before, it may happen again. Until then, there's still plenty of crap out there I don't have. This'll give me a chance to catch up.