Anyone Have A Special G.i. Joe Toy?

Heathtown

Well,

I was remembering how when I got a G.I. Joe figure from my father. This was around March of 1987 and I was in the hospital. He came to visit me and he surprised me with a brand new Tunnel Rat. I even remember it was from Toysrus with their orange price tag and all. I was very grateful and also stunned because this did not happen before. He didn't normally go out of the way to purchase something like this. Not that he was never interested, it just wasn't his thing to do. But I still think it's really cool.

In fact, I still have this toy to this day. I'm not even sure why I started remembering this, but I thought I'd share this little bit of nostalgia.

Mine's not GI Joe... heck it's not a toy, but it's semi-on topic ;)

Back in 93 or 97... HMMMM... damn fuzzy memory... I was in the Hospital and had major surgery, my Dad, was the one person that stood by my side the whole time, right before going under... to the first face I saw when I woke up with fire shooting theough my stomach, after I got doped up again and was comfortable, my nurse had to beg my Dad to go home, get some sleep and asure him that I was recovering fine and in good hands...

Bright and early the next morning, my dad was ther when I woke up and handed me a little R2-D2 Applause statue that had this cool head that could be taken off and turned upsidedown and it had an antenna sticking out... anyway, my Dad never agreed with my toys, never said he hated them, but when I came home with a bag full of toys, he always seemed a little upset that I was "wasting" my money on them... Even though, he was the one person that bought me my firt GI Joe and SW figure.. anyway...

He knew I was in pain and I could see in his eyes, the way he looked at me, while I was in pain... that he hated seeing me like that, and when he handed me that R2-D2, it made all the pain go away and filled me with joy, that was the first time he bought me a "toy" since I was a kid... So that's my special, dearest toy... it's not GI Joe... but I dont care... it was form my Dad!!! heart.gif

Good story regardless of the toy type. It's just nice to know that I'm not the only one that has stuff like that to share. Also it's funny how a toy can preoccupy your mind. But if it works it works.

By the way Joe, do you still have that gift?

Well,

I was remembering how when I got a G.I. Joe figure from my father. This was around March of 1987 and I was in the hospital. He came to visit me and he surprised me with a brand new Tunnel Rat. I even remember it was from Toysrus with their orange price tag and all. I was very grateful and also stunned because this did not happen before. He didn't normally go out of the way to purchase something like this. Not that he was never interested, it just  wasn't his thing to do. But I still think it's really cool. 

In fact, I still have this toy to this day.  I'm not even sure why I started remembering this,  but I  thought I'd share this little bit of nostalgia.

Whoa! Believe it or not, my fondest memory involved getting Tunnel Rat as well. It was the Halloween of 1987, when my parents decided to stop by K-Mart to buy my cousin a birthday present. I remember running to the GI JOE section and looking at what they had. I remember seeing Hydro-Viper and Lt. Falcon. But the one that stood out to me the most was Tunnel Rat. That figure got stolen from me once from a distant cousin back then a few months later in '88, but I got 'em back the next weekend. I still have that Tunnel Rat to this day, and even have the backpack with only one flashlight, and his machine gun.

Edited by Darthmaul33

Funny thing to add to that, one of my friends had lost one of the flashlights in our front yard and I was so mad so I actually looked in the radius of where he was playing and found it. The only thing that's missing from mine is the little TNT bag he came with.

My fondest memories deal with SE v2 and BBQ v1. My mother finally found a v2 SE in 86 at a drug store. We had been looking for one over a year at that point. Then one day at K mart back in 85 I found one BBQ(never seen one before) and the weapons had been stole. Well the store manager gave him to me! They refused to seel it to my mom when she showed it to them asking if they had more. :)

Draven

Funny thing to add to that, one of my friends had lost one of the flashlights in our front yard and I was so mad so I actually looked in the radius of where he was playing and found it. The only thing that's missing from mine is the little TNT bag he came with.

oops... I just traded some accessories at jc.com and I threw in some stuff and one was a TNT bag... damn.. sorry 'bout that :( couls have sent it to ya

That would have been cool, but I haven't went out of my way to piece it together anyway. But I would like to display the figure one of these days.

Hey Draven, I think that's cool that the manager gave that to you guys. Most managers would have just done nothing more. Funny thing is, I'd like to think how my spending would be if I were an adult in the 80's. But then again, with Wave 7 on the horizon...and that Snake Eyes mold...It's almost like 1985 again.

That would have been cool, but I haven't went out of my way to piece it together anyway. But I would like to display the figure one of these days.

Hey Draven, I think that's cool that the manager gave that to you guys. Most managers would have just done nothing more. Funny thing is, I'd like to think how my spending would be if I were an adult in the 80's. But then again, with Wave 7 on the horizon...and that Snake Eyes mold...It's almost like 1985 again.

Yeah I remember her vaugly, she was really sweet about it and just said have it honey or something like that. @lol@ That was back when K mart cared about teh customers and before Walmart sold it soul to the devil. @smilepunch@

But this next year or two should be almost as good as the old 85 days methinks!

Draven

Back in 1984, I had four teeth pulled and I was feeling like crap! Right after the dentist, my mom took me to Osco Drug to fill a script for antibiotics for me. Of course, I went to the toy section and what did I find? Stormshadow!! First and only time I ever saw him. Mom bought him for me and having Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow battle helped take the pain away for the rest of the day. :) I remember the other kids in the neighborhood were in awe......I guess Stormy was just hard to get back then.

@bats@

I have a similar story about my dad. He recently passed away (I still can't believe it, even when I type it...), so this story is even more precious to me:

Back in 1989, the new wave of Joes had just come out. A friend of mine had called one day to tell me about finding them at Target. I was excited but pretty bummed out because: 1-Target was almost an hour's drive for me then, and 2-I didn't have any money. This friend that had called was one of those friends that had every-single new toy that came out. Well, my dad decided to load us all up and take me to get some of the new figures! I couldn't believe it. When we got there, I found Snake-Eyes (my favorite and the main figure I wanted), Dee-Jaye, Rock'n Roll, Gnawgahyde, and Recoil. (At least I think those were the only ones...) But I thought that was so awesome, that my dad would do that for me. I mean, when he could, he would buy us stuff, but to drive that far out of the way when it wasn't my birthday or anything, just because I wanted some of the new Joes...wow. I still have that Snake-Eyes. Sure, he's not mint-perfect anymore, but I'll always cherish that figure as an example of my dad's gesture. He was a big kid himself. He always seemed to get a big kick out of our toys, and he's probably the reason why I'm such a big collector now. He was a great, loving man, and I love him and miss him very much.

I remember back in like the 80's/90's I would buy multiples of something I really liked because I would always lose it. I think I bought like 10 of those pirate lego packs, the ones that had only the figures.

Anyway I remember there was this one joe in like '91/2 that came with a dog, that's all I can really remember and I remember coming home with him for like the 8th time and my Mom was like I'm not buying you another of him and I ended up losing him again lol. My friends just down the block had all the huge legos like the bases and castles and they also had all the GI Joes and I remember going out back and throwing up the parachute joes trying to get htem stuck up in the telephone cables.

Ahhh memories.

Edit: Oh yeah and I remember going to Toysrus to get some of the arctic Joes for that same kid for his birthday or something and I was mad that my mom didn't get me any joes. I think that's atually what started my desire for joes!

87 CC, and Destro v2, since i didnt have the originals

and ever since then, always been getting CC/Destro with the exception of the Star Brigade/97 TRU pack, and CC/Chameleon pack.

the original Serpentor w/ air chariots holds dear to my heart cause my dad got it for me and assembled the air chairiot :D

My dad also got me Zandar/Zarana cause we were going on a long road trip to vegas and i guess he wanted me to have something to play in the car.

Back in 1984, I had four teeth pulled and I was feeling like crap! Right after the dentist, my mom took me to Osco Drug to fill a script for antibiotics for me. Of course, I went to the toy section and what did I find? Stormshadow!! First and only time I ever saw him. Mom bought him for me and having Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow battle helped take the pain away for the rest of the day. :) I remember the other kids in the neighborhood were in awe......I guess Stormy was just hard to get back then.

@bats@

Yes he was around me. SE v2 and Storm Shadow were very impossible to find around me.

Draven

I have a similar story about my dad. He recently passed away (I still can't believe it, even when I type it...), so this story is even more precious to me:

Back in 1989, the new wave of Joes had just come out. A friend of mine had called one day to tell me about finding them at Target. I was excited but pretty bummed out because: 1-Target was almost an hour's drive for me then, and 2-I didn't have any money. This friend that had called was one of those friends that had every-single new toy that came out. Well, my dad decided to load us all up and take me to get some of the new figures! I couldn't believe it. When we got there, I found Snake-Eyes (my favorite and the main figure I wanted), Dee-Jaye, Rock'n Roll, Gnawgahyde, and Recoil. (At least I think those were the only ones...) But I thought that was so awesome, that my dad would do that for me. I mean, when he could, he would buy us stuff, but to drive that far out of the way when it wasn't my birthday or anything, just because I wanted some of the new Joes...wow. I still have that Snake-Eyes. Sure, he's not mint-perfect anymore, but I'll always cherish that figure as an example of my dad's gesture. He was a big kid himself. He always seemed to get a big kick out of our toys, and he's probably the reason why I'm such a big collector now. He was a great, loving man, and I love him and miss him very much.

STill a great story DB! :)

Draven

Back in 1984, I had four teeth pulled and I was feeling like crap! Right after the dentist, my mom took me to Osco Drug to fill a script for antibiotics for me. Of course, I went to the toy section and what did I find? Stormshadow!! First and only time I ever saw him. Mom bought him for me and having Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow battle helped take the pain away for the rest of the day. :)  I remember the other kids in the neighborhood were in awe......I guess Stormy was just hard to get back then.

@bats@

Yes he was around me. SE v2 and Storm Shadow were very impossible to find around me.

Draven

Only once did I also find SE v2 in a store. It was also in '87 at a Save-On Drug store, and I guess my parents didn't have enough dough. :(

I never saw a Storm Shadow v1 in the store back in the day.

I first GI Joe figures was back in 1982.My grandparents(now deceased)bought me Stalker and my brother got Grunt.I thought Stalker was a cool figure.I didn't mine he was an african-american.I thought that was cool too.There were many joes after that I assure you. #US1#