Jca Awards

Wraith

Hm...a few other people come to mind...how in the HELL do I win "best painter", best overall customizer", and "best use of putty or epoxy" and not have a single custom win anything? Will someone please help me figure that out, 'cause right now I'm more than a little po'ed about it.

I think it boils down to this:

You're a great and consistent painter.

You're an absolute fantastic sculptor.

And a genius customizer overall, with a high degree of consistency.

The first two, while great, do not make a custom by themselves though.

You can have a great paint job, on an otherwise poor custom (simple repaint) that just isn't going to win a category (not saying tha yours) are like this.

As far as the last one, the voters are saying that custom to custom, you usually have the best average of great pieces, but these other guys who normally don't do so well managed to luck out once in a while anf make a really GREAT custom.

Look at it from a statistics standpoint: If all of your customs get a 90% approval rating, a higher average than any other member, than you're the best overall. But if someone who has a 40% average, but pulls off a single piece at 100% can still win a category.

OR, they may have figured that since they were already giving you mad props inso many categories, they wanted to give the other guys a chance...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Kinda shocked that some are rather upset that they only won 3 awards."

I think you missed the point I was making new guy. Seek life elsewhere.

No need to bag on the kid, Al - that only confirms what he was thinking.

Hm...a few other people come to mind...how in the HELL do I win "best painter", best overall customizer", and "best use of putty or epoxy" and not have a single custom win anything?  Will someone please help me figure that out, 'cause right now I'm more than a little po'ed about it.

I think it boils down to this:

You're a great and consistent painter.

You're an absolute fantastic sculptor.

And a genius customizer overall, with a high degree of consistency.

The first two, while great, do not make a custom by themselves though.

You can have a great paint job, on an otherwise poor custom (simple repaint) that just isn't going to win a category (not saying tha yours) are like this.

As far as the last one, the voters are saying that custom to custom, you usually have the best average of great pieces, but these other guys who normally don't do so well managed to luck out once in a while anf make a really GREAT custom.

Look at it from a statistics standpoint: If all of your customs get a 90% approval rating, a higher average than any other member, than you're the best overall. But if someone who has a 40% average, but pulls off a single piece at 100% can still win a category.

OR, they may have figured that since they were already giving you mad props inso many categories, they wanted to give the other guys a chance...

Nomad, thanks for trying to put it all in perspective. I appreciate the thought you've put into it, even if I'm still not on board. This is the kind of opinion making that I repspect.

As for the new guy "crapslot", I don't think that trying to weigh in on a subject like this given it's nature is the place for a new guy to pop up and try to get in a word edgewise. If I was new to a board, I wouldn't be so presumptious as to try to get a say on such an obviously touchy subject.

"Or maybe they just liked the ones that they voted for better... I know, God forbid."

Troll, did you even vote? Are you a customizer? Are you even a board member there? If you answer no to any of these questions, then maybe you should reserve comment.

Considering the fact that I've been a member here longer than you have your appelation of "troll" doesn't fit.

Now, seeing as how you're whining about not winning enough "awards" on a fan website, the only thing touchy the subject about is your over inflated ego. You make good customs, of that there's no doubt. But rather than just appreciating the fact that some people you don't know appreciate your skill you're griping that these same unknowns like someone elses' work more than your own. This is just as juvenile as the tantrum you threw over there about trying to sell your custom heads. (Yes I read that entire thread before you threw a fit and deleted all your posts.)

As for your stupid questions being a prerequisite for "reserving comment" you need to get over yourself. For being an adult you really need to grow up.

Iron Snake, I just have a problem with the fact that, since I've been here, this is the first topic I remember you posting on, and it had to be a comment that would obviously antagonize someone. I can clearly see Alyosha's point and others such as Nomad chose to deal with it in a constructive way. Sad.

You guys have to lay off Iron Snake... he is making a judgement on what he has read. WHO cares how many times he has posted. The number of posts does not weigh his opinion any less than the most prolific poster on TNI.

I get what Aly was saying in his initial post, but he has to realize that not everyone is this serious about customizing. It's definitely not the end of the world to not win the Best Custom in any category.

Very loosely, compare it to the NFL... would you rather be the winner of a division (best custom of whatever category) or win the Super Bowl (Best overall customizer)?

I know the thing Aly is saying is that he didn't win a certain category, but who cares??? Really, get over it!

Don't be angry, you won the more sought after awards and if you don't realize this and are going to act rude to others over it, then maybe you don't deserve to win a fan-based award. The way you are acting makes me ashamed that I voted for you...

First off, big time congrats to Violentfix!! #US1#

Operation Rapier was a really fun read!!

Second, congrats to all the 2004 JCA winners in every catagory. I only voted in 33 of the catagories, mainly dios and customs, but 10 of the folks I voted for won thier catagory. 1 out of every 3 ain't too bad.

Third, I completely understand how you feel Alyosha. After being voted one of the best there is, according to a group of customizers, it is surprising that none of your individual entries won. Heck, I was very surprised, especially on the ones that have alot of custom parts built onto them. I voted for one of your customs but, alas it didn't win in its catagory.

As stated above, I voted for 33 different catagories and only 10 of those were the winners. Does that mean the folks I voted for didn't deserve to win? Does it mean that I have poor tastes and a bad eye for what makes a great custom Joe figure? (maybe but, gee I hope not @hmmm@ ) No, it just means that of all the folks that voted the majority agreed with me on 10 of the 33 areas.

The reason I say that I understand how you feel is because last year (2003) I didn't win a single catagory I was nominated for (dio stuff) and I put my best efforts into making my first Joe Dio-story. It was disappointing that I didn't get selected, especially after all the positive comments I received during the production of the story and the fact that I had won a couple of catagories the year prior. However, I got over my disappointment, congratulated the winners, and vowed to not give up or be bitter about how the vote went but rather continue to do my best and try again later. (I just finished the script for my next story two weeks ago)

It's always, ALWAYS wonderful to have your efforts and work acknowledged by those who can truely appreciate it. So, even though the JCA's are not a true competition, it still feels good to win. It's a whole lot of fun to take the best of your work and compare it to others in the hobby and then to garner the most votes.

The thing to keep in mind is that it is just a hobby. The moment you take it too seriously it is no longer worth doing.

Alyosha, you are a very talented customizer and you deserved to win the catagories you did. I look forward to seeing your next completed project as well as your WIP's. And as far as not winning a catagory you think you should have... don't sweat it, man. Just keep doing what you have been, do it for the fun of it, and you'll continue to get the kudos you deserve.

I hope this puts a bit of a positive spin on things for ya.

- Trooper

Lets keep it cival people and lets layoff the additude that you can't weigh in on something cause you havent posted before. New people have just as much right to express an opinion here as old people do as long as its done in a cival and respectfull manner.

Hey Crap, lol... I dont think he's upset he only won 3... I think he's saying it's odd that he won those three, but didn't win any of the others that they had to do with... in other words how is he the best "this" or the best "that" if "this" or "that" didn't win... um, knowwhatImean?

First off, Hey joe. I understand what your saying, but the way that it was put forth it didnt come off in that manner, and any way you look at it, it still reads "Hey I won but I should have gotten said award because Im the best"

That just dosent seem like good sportsmanship.

As for the new guy "crapslot", I don't think that trying to weigh in on a subject like this given it's nature is the place for a new guy to pop up and try to get in a word edgewise. If I was new to a board, I wouldn't be so presumptious as to try to get a say on such an obviously touchy subject.

Hey man sorry I dont agree with what you have said. I just wanted to get a word in but because, I like others here, I voted, I customize, hell I was even nominated so dont get on your high horse and stare down at everyone you meet cause one day someone might slither up and bite you in the ass. The awards seemed to me not like a place for bickering and arguing or even winning. It was to show how well customizers have done, and to showcase their work. Not complain that they didnt win it all cause they are some god to customizing.

Alyosha, I think you are a great painter I think you do great work but it seems your attitude gets in the way and overshadows it. I can look at this board and see so many great customizers who dont have that problem. If you think about the results you won the best in those area's because its how well you do overall. Maybe they couldnt pick just one custom from you, I dont know, I would have to reinerate Nomads point though and leave it at that.

Hey Crap, lol... I dont think he's upset he only won 3... I think he's saying it's odd that he won those three, but didn't win any of the others that they had to do with... in other words how is he the best "this" or the best "that" if "this" or "that" didn't win... um, knowwhatImean?

First off, Hey joe. I understand what your saying, but the way that it was put forth it didnt come off in that manner, and any way you look at it, it still reads "Hey I won but I should have gotten said award because Im the best"

That just dosent seem like good sportsmanship.

Hey man sorry I dont agree with what you have said. I just wanted to get a word in but because, I like others here, I voted, I customize, hell I was even nominated so dont get on your high horse and stare down at everyone you meet cause one day someone might slither up and bite you in the ass. The awards seemed to me not like a place for bickering and arguing or even winning. It was to show how well customizers have done, and to showcase their work. Not complain that they didnt win it all cause they are some god to customizing.

Alyosha, I think you are a great painter I think you do great work but it seems your attitude gets in the way and overshadows it. I can look at this board and see so many great customizers who dont have that problem. If you think about the results you won the best in those area's because its how well you do overall. Maybe they couldnt pick just one custom from you, I dont know, I would have to reinerate Nomads point though and leave it at that.

WOW

This topic went all over the place and completly away from where it started.

I'd like to apologize for not realizing that Aloshya won those catagories. I'm more of a Dio reader than a customs follower and I didn't pay much attention to that part. So I'd like to reword this topic to:

Congrats to Violentfix and Aloshya for all the catagories they won. We have two local celebrities at TNI and we are all proud.

I know how you feel Aly, about not having your work appreciated fully, and it's kinda personal for me.

I helped Grand Slam for the first 2 years of the JCAs, counting votes and writing up a Year-In-Review, and not once was I ever thanked for my effort. Yet they're quick to thank everyone else for helping out. This year they didn't even bother approaching me to ask for my help when that whole thing was getting organized months ago. Anyone can check the history of the JCAs on the menu and see for themselves that I was never even mentioned for helping.

Not even being recognized for the time and effort I put in really made me feel unappreciated.

"You can view the results two different ways:

Kickass Dio Award Show method (thanks to Airtight, General Hawk, Grand Slam, Scrap Iron & zed)

Boring Plain 'Ol Text With Special Text-Version Only Commentary method (see below ;-) ) "

oh wait, that's the thanks I got.

:huh:Ummmm...... last line of this post.

Gee, Bandy, I appreciated the work you did for the JCA's. I was impressed with the effort you and the others put into making the whole thing happen. Sorry, you feel unthanked for the whole thing.

BTW, I can't seem to make your webpage work in my browser (I.E. 6) is it still up?

Hoping you aren't holding any grudges, :unsure:

- Trooper

Alyosha - You got the best customizing skills, just that in every category of figure/custom, it just so happens that other ppl think some other custom appeal more to them ... this year just put those great skills to work on every custom and win all the awards ... If I were to vote, Dav Anthony will win every single custom figure award cause I really like the way his figure turns out ... but since every1 has diff opinions it doesn't really matter if any1 wins or lose ... just carry on and enjoy what you do ... ;)

Bandy - Every1 knows you're a great guy who is very helpful ... I know I do ... :)

And Congrats to all the Winners of the JCA ... :)

It's F-kin great that there are sites like TNI and Joescustoms that promotes customizing and making more ppl get involved ... and also gives ppl a place to argue about insignificant(in real life) arguments to take a break off customizing/collecting toys ... ;)

My very 1st post on TNI, after a long long lapse ... and I'm gonna make sure this year I enter a custom in every available JCA category to stand a chance to winning a least a JCA ... @lol@ @lol@ @lol@

Trooper for the two years I helped out I've gotten acknowledgements from 3 people directly if you want to be technical, Grand Slam (before the 2002 JCAs started as you pointed out, but not afterwards), Uniblast, and Deejay. But as you can see from the main award page the "Boring Plain 'Ol Text " author doesn't even deserve to be mentioned while others do. I put in equally as much work as everyone else and the least someone could have done was acknowledge me in the credits.

And as for the recently concluded year? Well nobody even bothered to ask me if I wanted to help out again anyways. Which felt like a slap in the face, 'screw you Band we never wanted your help tabulating results or writing reviews.' So yeah, stuff like that makes me feel unappreciated, but screw it, life goes on. Clearly my help wasn't or isn't needed, so I'll be happy playing my TCG games.

Oh as for the website, my cable provider changed the URL, I'll have to pm ya

EDIT: TeknoKyo good to see you back but dude have you seen the 2003 awards? You ran away with 5 categories I think, and the top 3 customizing ones to boot.

Well, crumbunnies!! I can't make up for the past lack of kudos or persuade the bigwigs at Joecustoms to jump into the "way-back machine" and make sure that they included you in the 2004 JCA's.

I CAN proclaim to all reading this post here at TNI (ADC) the following:

Bandy is one awesome Joefan who has dedicated blood, sweat, and tears (well, at least two of those three) to the furtherence of the hobby as a whole and specifically to the first two JCA's. Without his sincere efforts the 2002 and 2003 JCA's would be severly lacking. In addition he is and always has been a positive critiquer (is that even a word? One who critiques maybe?) of folk's customs, dio-stories, and all other Joe-related items they may care to post about. He also did alot of work to try and create a one-stop location for links to all of the Joe related Dio-stories on the web and made that info available on his website.

So, a bit late and perhaps a bit limited in its overall effect due to the afore mentioned tardiness, a big shout out to Bandalero!! for all the reasons mentioned above!!

Now then, is there any body else out there who needs some positive affirmation relating to the JCA's?? ^_^

I can't speak for Joecustoms as a whole, I wouldn't presume to think that I am THE voice for that website. I can only speak as someone who is a member there and as someone who has participated by voting in all three JCAs.

As a final note to this, I'd like to say that I am glad to see folks from TNI/ADC, Joecustoms, and other websites participating and contributing to the hobby of Joe customization. It's always inspiring to see the work of others and it also helps to validate this strange aspiration I have of creating my own G.I. Joe figures.

That'll be 5 cents, please. :P

- Trooper

well thanks for the kudos Troops :)

Really I'm over it now, I went on hiatus for a month and returned refreshed. Like I said, I play my TCG Games and now I'm part of the ADC/TNI wrestling fed, so it's all cool beans.

But Aly is right about one thing, the joe community on the whole is an old boys club to a certain extent.

Holy CRAP! Teknokyo isn't dead?!?! (or in the Phillipines which is about the same as far as Joes are concerned) Man, it's good to hear that your still around, been jonesing to see something new from you for awhile. Anyway, as Bandy said, "over it" for now, and I'm glad that he and I see eye to eye on one thing...Joe customs are cool! @smilepunch@