Where To Start, What To Read?

die fighting x

alright, so for the majority of my comic-reading life, i've been a marvel guy. sure, i deviated from the path and followed spawn until about issue fifty, and once the new gi joe series started up, i've been keeping up on it since. lately, though, i've been wanting to jump into dc. there have been a few arcs and stories i've gotten into before. elseworlds was always a good read for me, i thoroughly enjoyed superman: red son and dark side. i followed the death of superman story as well as reign of the supermen. other than that, though, i never got into it. so what i need are some suggestions and points in the right direction.

i'm basically looking to check out some newer stories. here's what i have lined up so far;

son of superman

superman: godfall

batman/superman

some advice on what to look out for and to check into would be appreciated,

i know there's some devoted and die-hard fans here that can give me some awesome suggestions.

thanks.

Seeing your a superman fan, I suggest trying Adventures of Superman, the first trade for the latest writer, Greg Rucka is unconventinal warfare. Great story to almost catch you up with the current issues.

Superman/Batman: Supergirl will be on trade this month, that will be another title to watch out for. Superman/Batman itself is one of the greatest comics I've read. You should jump on with the latest stories if you can find #14 and up.

I agree:

Superman/Batman is awesome - I usually wait to pick up the trades, but I've been following the Absolute Power arc...

JLA Classified actually was pretty decent to read too...

I also like JSA, Teen Titans, to name a few...

Hush is a classic, you should enjoy that as well. at www.paperbackreader.com we have some reviews up. So you can read some of those to get a opinion of what you may want to jump on.

Other suggestions are

Teen Titans

Outsiders

JLA Classified

Flash (great book Flash blitz the trade would be a perfect jump on point, followed by flash ignition)

wonder woman (try the new story in april)

there are so many more but those are good picks.

Hush is a classic, you should enjoy that as well. at www.paperbackreader.com we have some reviews up. So you can read some of those to get a opinion of what you may want to jump on.

Other suggestions are

Teen Titans

Outsiders

JLA Classified

Flash (great book Flash blitz the trade would be a perfect jump on point, followed by flash ignition)

wonder woman (try the new story in april)

there are so many more but those are good picks.

Some very good picks there. You can't go wrong with Teen Titans or the Flash. I'd be a bit wary of the first arc of JLA Classified though, it confused the heck out of me lol.

I heard that a lot about JLA Classified, when I was reading it, I didn't know what to expect from the next issue. I reviewed #3 and mentioned the fact you will be confused at somethings the first read. It kinda required you to slow down and look at them more then you usually would. thats just my opinion.

I buy A TON of DC titles every month...here's some of my favorites:

JSA

Teen Titans (NOT Teen Titans GO)

The Flash

Birds of Prey

I also really enjoy:

Batman

Detective Comics

Batman: Legends of The Dark Knight

Batman: Gotham Knights

Action Comics

@bats@

Hush is nowhere near as good as people say it is, so if you want classic batman, read Dark Night Returns, A Death in the Family, or even Year One.

Superman/batman is pretty good. It was at it's best when Loeb and Turner were doing it. The Azzerello/Lee Superman is a huge dissapointment.

Green Lantern- Rebirth is also very good. It's a six issue mini series about Hal Jordan's Return.

Superman/batman is pretty good. It was at it's best when Loeb and Turner were doing it. The Azzerello/Lee Superman is a huge dissapointment.

Green Lantern- Rebirth is also very good. It's a six issue mini series about Hal Jordan's Return.

that's exactly what i heard about the superman/batman series,

a lot of my dc-loyal buddies were let down after loeb and turner finished up.

as for green lantern, i've been hearing some good things about it lately...

surprised i let it slip my mind.

i'm interested in the character of the black mask. if i were to jump into it, what back issues should i be looking for as far as the story goes with him taking over the gotham underworld along with the start of the war games arc?

thanks all around for the heads up, if there's anymore keep them coming.

GL: Rebirth is a good reas but it's too bad that Kyle will end up getting killed to make room for Hal - just a guess, but I think they're going to kill off Kyle in issue 5....

HUSH to me was enjoyable - loved the artwork and the story was great up until the lame ending

But if you do pick up any old Trades - make sure you read Crisis on Infinite Earths :)

Starting in 1985, DC put out a universe wide crossover every year for years.

Crisis on Infinite Earths was the first and combines all the variant earths of characters under DC's contol into one earth. Prior to this the heroes from the 40's lived on a separate earth from the versions introduced in the late 50's and those bought from other publishers.

In terms of recent history, you can ignore much of what has gone on in the past and start with recent events. I recommend the following:

1. JLA: New World Order (paperback) - sets the tone for the current era of the Justice League.

2. Teen Titans: Graduation Day (paperback) - sets up the current Teen Titans and Ousiders series.

3. Identity Crisis (7 issue series, not collected yet) - A look at what heroes do to protect those they love.

4. Superman/Batman - as others have mentioned, this book is good.

#1 to 6 - "Public Enemies"

#8 to 13 - "Supergirl"

#14 on not collected yet

5. Countdown - this is coming out in a few months and will set up more stuff.

Start with this. Some of it might not be what you expect, but it will get you up to speed with the major recent events of the DCU.

I guess I'm the only fan of the Azarello/Lee Superman Story (its good when you read all your issues back to back in one sitting)

I just find it funny some are saying the Loeb and turner was the best story. Personally I liked the first story more, and the latest is my favorite (#17 was hard for bruce)

Also I forgot to mention another good Superman trade

Superman:Godfall great story!

"one night in bludhaven"(?) is this Nightwing story arc that is available as a trade. it has black mask in it, though he looks a little different than he does in the current bat man series, and i don't know enough about him to know if its a different guy or what. pretty good story about nightwing starting out on his own in the crime addled suburb.

GL: Rebirth is my favorite monthly right now, after that....

Teen Titans

Green Arrow (yes Winnick too)

Batman (yes Winnick)

Outsiders (trade only for me)

JSA

As for trades, my favorite would be Batman: Long Halloween and Dark Victory. If you want a great Loeb Batman story I think you should start here before Hush. Also, if you've never read Miller Bats, definately pick up Dark Knight Returns and Batman Year One.

JLA: Rock of Ages trade got me back into comics after about 5 years away. I'd start there - it's a little outdated now, but it's a great book.

I just read the first 70 issues of JLA (for the first time) and I thought Rock of Ages was great too!

Id recomend Legion of the Superheros. Mainly because its new, well written, great art and you dont need to know of any of the old backstory as its a whole new future.

Also id recomend:

JSA

Teen Titans

Nightwing(year one is pretty cool)

Green Arrow

Currently, I'm really into The Flash, Teen Titans, JSA, and Legion of Super-Heroes. I'm really digging The Question miniseries, but it's probably too surreal for most. Birds of Prey is pretty cool, too, and Nightwing's good. Most of the Bat-books and Supes titles tend to be solid, in fact, so you should give those a try. You should probably collect Identity Crisis and maybe GL: Rebirth, if you want to really catch up on some of the bigger events in the DCU lately. Seven Soldiers seems like it's going to be interesting, too, and Countdown will be out soon enough.

And as for trades, I'd pick up Crisis on Infinite Earths, Kingdom Come, Watchmen (not DCU, but it's a prerequisite), various Bat-trades (Long Halloween, Dark Knight Returns, etc.) some back trades of the comics mentioned above, and Robinson's Starman book from 90s is pretty cool if you ever get the chance. Alan Moore's "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" Superman story is interesting, and you might want to check out Superman: Birthright to see what's going on with his continuity right now.

HUSH

Titans

JLA (I'd pick up the first three Trades, New World Order, Rock of Ages, and American Dreams)

JSA

pretty good stuff there......

insofar as great stories of years past, well, there's the fan fave trifecta:

Kingdom Come

Dark Knight Returns

Watchmen

all three are fantastic reads.......I'm not particularly fond of Ross (Anybody who knows me from toymania knows that), but I worship the ground Mark Waid walks on......

other storylines to check out (In-Continuity)

The Killing Joke

A Death in the Family

Batman: Year One

Batman: Knightfall

Batman: No Man's Land

You've read Death of Superman, but I recommend it highly as well.....

Final Night (if you're interested in the Green Lantern Mythos)

Emerald Twilight

Avoid at all costs:

Batman Year Two

Crisis on Infinite Earths (Unless you want a headache, I'm not saying it's an awful story, just TERRIBLY confusing, and really, not all that necessary to understand the DCU nowadays)

and Finally, while not a comic, or story, a great jumping-on point for the DCU, (since you're gonna be spending money anyways), is always: The DC Comics Encyclopedia.........every integral character, and storyline from the last 65 years, at your fingertips.......helps you figure out some of the second-tier, or guest-shot characters in the stories you're reading........

I worship the ground Mark Waid walks on......

Very much in agreement with that. I've never been more restless waiting for a new issue of a monthly to come out as I am waiting for LSH #3 right now, and it's not even delayed! Speaking of Waid, the JLA: Year One trade is a fun tribute to the Silver Age, and very much worth a look. So is DC: The New Frontier, which I'll be picking up soon.

And you know, I'm not really that familiar with the current version of JLA, but there's such praise for Rock of Ages here that I'm seriously considering it for this week when I head in for GL: Rebirth, Titans, and Runaways.

By the way, I'm sure plenty of people here have seen the proposal for Moore's "Twilight of the Superheroes," and I'm curious as to what everyone would have preferred - that, or Kingdom Come?