Free Minimate On Free Comic Day

Lurch77

IPB Image

Xybot over at the AA Forum posted:

Just got the newest Previews Magazine ... they had a list of all of the comics to be had on Free Comic Book Day. At the top of the pages are a group of white MiniMates with the FCBD logo on them! Flip the page and there's a little box with one of the little guys ... "And don't forget to ask for your free 2005 Free Comic Book Day MiniMate!"

If anyone that has this issue could post a picture of the ad, it would be much appreciated.

^ Me too.

This my be a stupid question but I really don't get this whole 'Free Comic Book Day' thing. Could somebody please explain it to me?

Free Comic Day is a day where comic shops get a couple different comics that they just give away. In previous years I've been given a free Transformers Armada comic and a He-Man comic. I don't think I've read the He-Man one yet, :) But there's usually something like a Spider Man or something. There's an official site out there somewhere

^ Me too.

This my be a stupid question but I really don't get this whole 'Free Comic Book Day' thing. Could somebody please explain it to me?

Basically it's to get the public attentions toward comics. The date of Free Comic Book Day is usually schedule around a comic book movie (first Spidey, Hulk, Spidey 2, and now Batman Begins I believe) so there's a greater interest. Comic shops buy cases of these comics (basically samplers) and give them away for people to try out. The hope is to get that new person who's never been to a comic shop coming back.

Some retailers even set up signings from creators to show up that day.

And check out their official site at freecomicbookday.com

Well, there aren't any Comic shops near where I live. Could somebody get me one of those MiniMates? I'll even sent you some money for your trouble.

• 2 months later...
Is it possible for non-comic shop owners to buy a bag(or whatever) of these? If so, how much?

Yes it is. My shop is ordering me a bag and I'm paying them for it. Their cost is around $10 and I'm paying $20. Once I get them I'll post something here about shipping if anyone can't make it to FCBD. RJ - you're on the list if you want one.

i definatly want a few of those

They aren't free to the comic shop, yet they expect us to give them away. A bag of "free" minimates actually costs about $15.

I did order a bag for myself though...nice blanks for customizing.

So how many minimates are there in a bag?

I might ask the comic shop to help me order a bag.