Paramount Done With Star Trek

Blackmada

I read the other day that Paramount has a new guy in charge and does not want to continue making anything Star Trek related.

Things are looking bad. Rumors that Enterprise is on it's last season. The movie is pushed back more than ever right now. AA figures keep getting delayed and very few are being made anyway.

Unless another company buys the franchise it could be over soon.

I'm sorry, as i used to love trek too, but you put out crap eventualy people will stop watching. Nemessis was pure crap, enterprise doesn't intrest me, voyager was so-so, and there are several other great sci-fi properities out there right now.

I read the other day that Paramount has a new guy in charge and does not want to continue making anything Star Trek related.

Things are looking bad. Rumors that Enterprise is on it's last season. The movie is pushed back more than ever right now. AA figures keep getting delayed and very few are being made anyway.

Unless another company buys the franchise it could be over soon.

Somehow, I highly doubt that Paramount would give up on Star Trek. It has too much money going for it.

The main reason Trek isn't doing very well right now is because they are rehashing old stories on Enterprise. Season 4 is much better, mainly because there is new blood working on the show, not the same morons that have been working on it for 20 years (which are still there, but have a limited role). Trek needs a break of about 5-10 years. They oversaturated in the 90's and didn't bother to really bring on new people for a new series.

Trek needs a break basically. I don't want it to happen, but in the end, that is what it needs. And Paramount will more than likely do just that before giving up on Trek entirely.

A break in production of Trek television and film of a year or two? Entirely possible, and something many fans actually WANT to happen.

A complete and total permanent abandonment of the property? Ridiculous.

Enterprise might be on it's last season? Yeah, it could be. It's improving, but if it's not getting the audience numbers it needs, it won't be back next season. I can't say that'd leave a gaping hole in my life.

The latest film is being pushed back? Well, given that the one thing that various conflicting reports about the next film agree on is that it's still in the very earliest development stages, there isn't much to push back. And given that most plans apparently don't involve any of the prior TV casts, delays really don't matter all that much. That the cast is aging has no impact on a film they won't be in.

Superman films have been on hold for just under 20 years. The actor most widely recognized in the role is dead. The last film is widely held to be pretty awful. That's not stopping them from making a new one.

If HALF that time goes by without another Trek film, I'll be quite surprised.

AA's problems have no impact on Paramount's film and television production decisions (nor on Pocket Books' novel line, nor on whoever has the video/computer game license at the moment). Some of their problems stem from the same source, many from parallel sources, and some are completely their own.

Paramount is about as likely to sell the Trek franchise as AOLTimeWarnerWhateverItIsThey'reCallingItTheseDays is to sell the Batman franchise. (Hint: Ain't gonna happen in this lifetime).

New Trek production might permanently die off someday, but it won't be anytime soon.

Yeah, I doubt Paramount's going to offload Trek. Someday, it will see a resurgence and be a cash cow again.

I think Art Asylum's doing pretty well with the Trek toys. I guess so, I'm still looking fro Shran and Khan, and there aren't many on ebay.