Mattel's Batman Collectors Line

Matthew Green

I have heard rumblings of this...Wonder if it's true. Any thoughts on what YOU would like to see in this line?

Certainly not Pink neon Batman. They can save that for the new animated series line which they have already made figures like that for. I would like a comic-accurate approach to the Collectors line. Obscure villains would be a must!

Black Mask-his first appearance look

Killer Croc-HIS first appearance look

Calender Man

Cavalier

Tweedledum and tweedledee

Lock-up

Well, if Mattel wants this to do any better than their last line, they've got to get a few things straight:

1) Bat-Variants are cool, if they make sense, and stay limited in number. 3-4 a year at most. NO BRIGHT COLORS

2) The trust of a collector's line is, and always will be, characters. A wave with only three figures will not spur interest, especially if one is a Bat-Variant.

3) Batman is defined by his villians. You cannot make enough villians, and obscurity does not negate marketability.

4) Utilize the Four Horsemen. In-house sculpting simply pales in comparison to true artists. Robin, Nightwing, and Superman are all obviously a lesser quality than Bats and the rogues.

Unlike Matthew the raving fanboy (you earned the title, live with it ;) ), I'll take far more generic versions of Batman and his cast. They do not at all need to be accurate to any comic. The artists change so often, the characters redesigned at least once a year.. who's to say what "comic accurate" is anyway. Leave the obsessive accuracy to DCD. Mattel's line should still be easily accessible to the casual fan.

Joker, wearing a purple tux, with white skin and green hair. Yup. I can Identify him as Joker, so he makes me happy. Mr Freeze has a suit to keep him in a freezeing cold environment. Aces. Croc kind of confued me, but he was just a bad figure. So, with Bats, Joker, and Freeze already accounted for, and Scarecrow and Bane already on the block, we're in need of Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Two-Face, and Poison Ivy to really have a full roster of immediately recognizable Bat-characters.

If this line does go forward, I'd like Mattel to admit it's in-house team's deficiency compared to the Four Horsemen, and get us some new, quality sculpts of Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl, Gordon, and Alfred (after this new movie, the last two will be as popular as the Big Bat himself for a little while). Second stringers like Black Mask, Deadshot, Solomon Grundy, Scarface and Ventriloquist, Mad Hatter, as Al Ghul, and Lady Shiva could pad out the line, so you dont blow the big guns in the first waves and kill interest way too quick.

I'll keep an eye out for this line, but given Mattel's botched attempt at MOTU, and the first Batman line, I don't expect to even get *half* the iconic characters...

Well i'd like to thank Matt Green for the compliments and i'm sure i speak for Mat at LOG as well...

as for the Collectors line i havent heard more than what ya'll know as well...maybe Mat from LOG has more info and i'll ask him... the only line i know of is the Rouges line here is the link for that Rouges

..the line is dead. The new Joker, Scarecrow and Bane will probable be issued as part of three new two-packs (as the two packs are selling very well).

In relation to Batman Mattel is putting all of their energy (sales people, region supervisors, marketing staff) into the new Batman movie line. It will be make or break for them as they have never had a major tent pole license like Batman before in their entire history. Their hard work has already payed off as Walmart Batman movie orders are reportedly twice the size of this past summers Spider-man toy line! We are talking major money here!

The classic Batman line could have been Mattels answer to Marvel Legends. Instead it (along with He Man) glaringly showed Mattels lack of knowledge of the boys action figure category. This past year Mattel looked at what worked and failed (in relation to Batman and He Man). They came up with a new retail plan will make everyone (retailers, kids, collectors) very happy.

JB

Joker, wearing a purple tux, with white skin and green hair. Yup. I can Identify him as Joker, so he makes me happy. Mr Freeze has a suit to keep him in a freezeing cold environment. Aces. Croc kind of confued me, but he was just a bad figure. So, with Bats, Joker, and Freeze already accounted for, and Scarecrow and Bane already on the block, we're in need of Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Two-Face, and Poison Ivy to really have a full roster of immediately recognizable Bat-characters.

I TOTALLY agree with you. The Joker figure was Universal. Easily identified as Joker...Bane and Scarecrow need to be at mass retailers though...

As a member of Legions of Gotham, I assure you that any information we have released there is extremely accurate. At our forum there are some clues as to what will be in store for the serious Bat-Collector. Register there to see what we can report.

Their hard work has already payed off as Walmart Batman movie orders are reportedly twice the size of this past summers Spider-man toy line! We are talking major money here!

Ouch...I guess that means we'll have Batman movie figures clogging the shelves two years after they're released....

I still see completely full aisles of Spider-Man 2 stuff regularly. Twice as many Batman movie figures is just scary.

I generally hate movie figures, as they often spell doom for better, collector-oriented lines.

As a member of Legions of Gotham, I assure you that any information we have released there is extremely accurate. At our forum there are some clues as to what will be in store for the serious Bat-Collector. Register there to see what we can report.

It wouldnt let me sign up.

I sent in a registration request like a week ago and never heard a word.

@bats@