New G.i. Joe Cartoon

Cobra_Saboteur

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we need one and yes we are getting one. Just a little gut feeling. I think the Gonzo RR will lead to that.

And we are getting a VG still as far as I know. The game will not be realistic like Interpol had hoped though. Sorry man but it will be aimed more at younger kids. T can't be to realistic.

Draven

wasnt there an article in toyfare about a couple months back of a new series or movie that was animated not cg. I forgot who it was but he was a famous anime/manga guy. Ill tru lookin for the article. I would love a new cartoon but only if its not like the last two "movies".

wasnt there an article in toyfare about a couple months back of a new series or movie that was animated not cg. I forgot who it was but he was a famous anime/manga guy. Ill tru lookin for the article. I would love a new cartoon but only if its not like the last two "movies".

A G.I. Joe Anime OAV (original animated video) is being made by a famous Japanese Anime stuido, studio GONZO. GONZO has produced a lot of well known Anime that are popular in both Japan and the States including Blue Submarine No.6, Hellsing, Vandread, Last Exile, Full Metal Panic, Yukikaze, Chrono Crusade, and dozens of others.

The OAV is going to be a mix of traditional cell shaded animation mixed with CGI. GONZO is actually known best in the Anime industry for combining these two different styles of animation, usually animating characters and settings in cell format and vehicles, mecha, and some scenary in CGI. If you want to look up some more of the different Anime they've made just go to www.animenewsnetwork.com and look them up under the company section.

Their also working on the new Transformers: Cybertron series which I've seen pics of and its looking better then either Armada or Energon.

I have very high hopes for the new G.I. Joe Anime by GONZO studios. The only worry I have is that Hasbro might insist on making the traditional cell animation look more Western style and I believe would ruin the whole thing.

Seriously, I'm pretty tired of people blowing a load and calling something "godly" simply because it is Japanimation. Not everything they crank out is golden, ladies and gents...it's all "hit-and-miss," just like American animation. Just because it is a different so-called "sub-cultural interest" (Japanimation is pretty mainstream if you ask me, but whatever) doesn't automatically make it the greatest damn thing since sliced bread.

That being said, I don't have a problem with Gonzo animating the show as long as Hasbro designs the characters. Johnen Vazquez (sp?), although he designed Zim and the like, sent the designs and storyboards out to a Korean company and it still retained his style. Much in the same manner do I wish to see GI Joe done.

However, if it is going to be /clearly/ Japanimation, then I will most likely not be watching it. The Japanimation style may be good for shows like "Wolf's Rain" and "Hellsing" (not that I would admit to it), but for an obviously AMERICAN-BASED idea (that has a background in American culture and worldviews), there needs to be some sort of Western style to it. It's GI Joe, not GI Jap; the animation, then, should reflect that.

For instance...if Cobra Commander is going to sweatdrop through his helmet every time he's nervous, then that's a very stupid idea IMO. I would think that ANYONE would agree that it is a very stupid idea. Also, if Lady Jaye's eyes were to get triangular (ex: ^__^) and hearts were to float around her when she thinks of Flint, that would /also/ be a bad idea.

While I know that GONZO is not known for this sort of style (and is obviously an exaggeration of it), these are the sorts of little...cultural nuances that I would like (as a fan) to be absent from the show/OAV.

What I hate is that everyone assumes all styles of anime is like pokemon. It is not! Take Cowboy bebop for example. It doesn't have any of the steretypical anime eyedrops and whatever and the anime is more westernized than easternized since America shows are shown throughout the world! I take it you haven't seen OAVs since they are geared more for the older cowards and some doesn't have the eye drops and such.

What I hate is that everyone assumes all styles of anime is like pokemon. It is not! Take Cowboy bebop for example. It doesn't have any of the steretypical anime eyedrops and whatever and the anime is more westernized than easternized since America shows are shown throughout the world! I take it you haven't seen OAVs since they are geared more for the older cowards and some doesn't have the eye drops and such.

I've seen my share of OAVs and anime programs, and you can still tell they're anime. While Cowboy Bebop is, I will admit, one of the less-stereotypical shows, it's still got its share of weird facial characteristics (Ed is a perfect example of this), not to mention unrealistically uncommon body types (Faye, anyone?).

But even beyond those two traits, the style is just such that you can /tell/ that it is completely anime...which I guess I can deal with, as long as it doesn't get too crazy (like Ed or, as someone mentioned, Teen Titans...which isn't /real/ anime, I realize, but the style still vexes it so).

Well a Cartoon or no, it won't effect me much....I'll watch it, but I'll still be liveing in my own private Joediho.

But the exposure would be good for everyone concerned. And I for one hope they do adopted a more western style for RR and anything after that.

How can you complain about weird facial characteristics and body proportions after watching the CGI movies with the downright-ugly faces and goofy proportions modelled after the toys?

Anime has the ability to be deeper and darker than you see in American cartoons, so I think the deal with Gonzo is a positive one or fans. You sound like you jsut hate the fact that it's anime no matter what it will look like. Wel guess what? The first Joe cartoon is also anime. Yup it's true. Check the credits. for all you know, the new cartoon will be an update of that. Quit pre-judging it just because of what it'll be, especially since you haven't even seen it because right now you're showing an amazing amount of ignorance.

I suggest watching the Ghost in the Shell movies as well as Macross Plus before going any further with your complaining.

How can you complain about weird facial characteristics and body proportions after watching the CGI movies with the downright-ugly faces and goofy proportions modelled after the toys?

Anime has the ability to be deeper and darker than you see in American cartoons, so I think the deal with Gonzo is a positive one or fans. You sound like you jsut hate the fact that it's anime no matter what it will look like. Wel guess what? The first Joe cartoon is also anime. Yup it's true. Check the credits. for all you know, the new cartoon will be an update of that. Quit pre-judging it just because of what it'll be, especially since you haven't even seen it because right now you're showing an amazing amount of ignorance.

I suggest watching the Ghost in the Shell movies as well as Macross Plus before going any further with your complaining.

Writers not animators have control over the darkness and the depth of the story.

You seem to hate a lot of the new stuff, just becouse it's the new stuff. No i don't want to bring up past threads or anything i'm just trying to make a point. Anime has a specific style (no the old joe is not anime, you know better) with less attention to propotion, exagerated eyes, more whacky expressions in even more serious animes. Also if the show is very anime influenced what do you think the figs will start to look like? just think about that.

Really Morbo, your argument isn't good enough to tell someone they are setting an amazing amount of ignorance. People are entitled to opinions and their own personal taste. I like anime too, but i don't want to see it for joe, it's all fine, it's all good to have different opinions.

@soap@

Some are blinded by images of certain anime they like and others by lack of knowledge on this subject. Why don't we wait until production stills and/or better yet the finished product can be viewed, until we gather our torches, pichforks, and knoted ropes to deal with who is responsible. #enlighten@

O well just a thought.

Writers not animators have control over the darkness and the depth of the story.

You seem to hate a lot of the new stuff, just becouse it's the new stuff. No i don't want to bring up past threads or anything i'm just trying to make a point. Anime has a specific style (no the old joe is not anime, you know better) with less attention to propotion, exagerated eyes, more whacky expressions in even more serious animes. Also if the show is very anime influenced what do you think the figs will start to look like? just think about that.

Really Morbo, your argument isn't good enough to tell someone they are setting an amazing amount of ignorance. People are entitled to opinions and their own personal taste. I like anime too, but i don't want to see it for joe, it's all fine, it's all good to have different opinions.

The only new stuff I hate is the badly-done Joe CGI movies, and anime is NOT one specific style. You, just like him, are making all the wrong assumptions.

Apparently Hasbro isn't happy with the new stuff either if they turned the Joes over to Gonzo, eh?

While the original G.I. Joe series was not Anime it could have been if not for the fact that it was Hasbro that forced the studio making the series to "dumb down" the quality of the animation. Growing up I had three favorite animated series Robotech, Transformers, and G.I. Joe and one of the things I always asked myself was, "Why does Robotech look so much better then G.I. Joe?"

Well that's why.

And as far as the figures looking more Anime-like I say, "BRING IT ON!" Especially for the girls. I've seen a lot more miniature Anime action figures of female characters that looked more feminin then the last Scarlett and Baroness. The Baroness looked like the head nurse from "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest". (shivers!)

I think a genuine injection of Japanese Anime is just what G.I. Joe needs at this point and I would particulary be in heaven if such a fusion of two could be pulled off. But for all the American obssessed, Anime bashing, living out in the middle of the country in one of the RED states out there you may just get your wish. Hasbro may pull the same BS they pulled in the '80s insisting the characters look more Westernized and we may get the G.I. Joe equivalent of the Teen Titans.

First of all, show me where I claimed that the CGI movies were the pinnacle of GI Joe artwork, because to my knowledge, the CGI films never entered the argument until now--as you have brought them up. And as far as action figure proportions are concerned, I argued that point when this place was still American Dream Comics. Again, those aren't the issues being discussed in this thread, so I shall refrain from commenting on them.

Anime has the ability to be deeper and darker than you see in American cartoons, so I think the deal with Gonzo is a positive one or fans.

As someone already mentioned, writers have control over that, not animators. Way to be ignorant.

You sound like you jsut hate the fact that it's anime no matter what it will look like.

If it looks great, then it looks great; if it does not, it does not. I never disputed that. I just expressed wishes that it would not be in the anime art-style (and, yes, there is a style to it, as has been mentioned by someone else already). Anime is a style, not a state-of-mind. Stop treating it as such.

Wel guess what? The first Joe cartoon is also anime. Yup it's true. Check the credits.

Nice try. It was "animated" by Toei, not stylized by Toei. If simply animating a show made it anime, then Invader Zim could theoretically be called Korean animation (a prospect with which no logical person would agree). Aside from the actual act of animating it, though, Marvel/Sunbow did the rest. For someone who tries to point out ignorance, you certainly show a lot of it yourself...

Quit pre-judging it just because of what it'll be, especially since you haven't even seen it because right now you're showing an amazing amount of ignorance.

I'm not the one claiming that the original show was anime, here...right now, you're the pot calling the kettle black.

The only new stuff I hate is the badly-done Joe CGI movies, and anime is NOT one specific style. You, just like him, are making all the wrong assumptions.

The enlarged eyes...the pointed features...the skewed proportions...nope, anime isn't a style, and each anime looks vastly different from the other. @loll@

Apparently Hasbro isn't happy with the new stuff either if they turned the Joes over to Gonzo, eh?

Again, you're making incorrect statements. They didn't "turn" the Joes over to Gonzo, they are allowing Gonzo to animate the next feature (probably because they have realized that CGI doesn't work for GI Joe). If you watch Gonzo's stuff, their animation is smooth, the movements are tight, and everything flows together. However, what I'm hoping is that Hasbro will still have a great deal of influence over how the characters look.

Jesus McChrist, I wasn't aware that it would be such a crime to think that the anime STYLE is not suitable for GI Joe (which I still don't believe it is).

And as far as the figures looking more Anime-like I say, "BRING IT ON!" Especially for the girls. I've seen a lot more miniature Anime action figures of female characters that looked more feminin then the last Scarlett and Baroness.

I'm guessing you haven't seen a real live female in quite awhile, if ever. Most women DO NOT look like anime figurines. Again, the proportions are all wrong (bigger breasts and longer legs =/= better proportions...in fact, it would be the same as shuffling around the current proportion problems and making them apply to different parts of the body). Are the current figures perfect? Not by any means. But I highly doubt that making them look more "anime-esque" is the solution to that problem.

I think a genuine injection of Japanese Anime is just what G.I. Joe needs at this point and I would particulary be in heaven if such a fusion of two could be pulled off.

Think about what you said. Just think about it, and tell me what is fundamentally wrong with that statement. Read it over, and tell me why that statement doesn't make sense.

And, again, that's the huge trick, you see? IF such a fusion could be pulled off, that's great. But the STYLE is what it seems to me would prevent such a thing from happening.

But for all the American obssessed, Anime bashing, living out in the middle of the country in one of the RED states out there you may just get your wish.

GI Joe is, oh, I don't know...BASED IN AMERICA. How is wanting the show to look somewhat recognizeably American in style considered "American obsessed?" Just because I refuse to acknowledge all anime as godly (which also apparently makes me an "anime basher" and a Republican)? If you want to go that far, then one can make the case that you're "Japanese obsessed" and that the bulk of your message is really nothing more than, "GI ANIME?! JIZZ!!!!"

All I want is for the style to be less Japanimation and more Westernized. I fail to see why that is such an unfair request, seeing as how GI Joe is the REAL AMERICAN HERO.

Hasbro may pull the same BS they pulled in the '80s insisting the characters look more Westernized and we may get the G.I. Joe equivalent of the Teen Titans.

That statement is so completely incoherent that I don't even know where to begin...so I'll just say this:

Teen Titans is obviously the result of Japanese influence, not the result of American influence on the Japanese.

If it looks great, then it looks great; if it does not, it does not.  I never disputed that.  I just expressed wishes that it would not be in the anime art-style (and, yes, there is a style to it, as has been mentioned by someone else already).  Anime is a style, not a state-of-mind.  Stop treating it as such.

First off I just want to point out what an arrogant thing to say about Anime this is. Anime can be both a style and 'a state of mind'. Even with all the characters with big eyes and exaggerated expressions I've seen dozens of Anime where characters have been able to show more emotion, more depth of feeling, and more personality simply by the way the artist illustrates them then I have in most Western style animated films. Anime is the appreciation of not just bringing something drawn on paper to life, but doing it excellently.

I'm not the one claiming that the original show was anime, here...right now, you're the pot calling the kettle black.

No the original series wasn't Anime, but that's only because Hasbro was not only cheap but ignorant to the fact of how much better it probably would have looked if it had looked like a series like Robotech. The only reason they did make the characters look more Westernized was because that was the dumbed down quality the young American public had been forced upon and expected.

The enlarged eyes...the pointed features...the skewed proportions...nope, anime isn't a style, and each anime looks vastly different from the other.

Pointed features, and skewed proportions are common in a lot of animated series these days, even everyone's vaunted Justice League series, and again the big eyes thing is not a constant feature. For that matter, where do you think our American animators got the idea for the current style of DC cartoons, cause it sure wasn't from watching repeats of Hanna Barbara toons. @loll@

They didn't "turn" the Joes over to Gonzo, they are allowing Gonzo to animate the next feature (probably because they have realized that CGI doesn't work for GI Joe).  If you watch Gonzo's stuff, their animation is smooth, the movements are tight, and everything flows together.  However, what I'm hoping is that Hasbro will still have a great deal of influence over how the characters look. 

Turn over, allowed, given the reigns, landed the part, whatever, they got the job. I agree Hasbro must have come to their senses and realized not only were the full CGI films too expensive but too pathetic and ugly too boot. And that Anime is riding a very high wave of popularity here in the states and that they want to start experimenting with licensing some of their original toylines (like G.I. Joe) to Japanese studios and seeing what they would look like as Anime.

But if they start messing around with how the characters look its going to ruin GONZO's streamline style of production and the thing is going to simply be a disaster, so I hope the character designs will be done by a Japanese artist. Live a little and take a f***ing chance will yeah!

Jesus McChrist, I wasn't aware that it would be such a crime to think that the anime STYLE is not suitable for GI Joe (which I still don't believe it is).

Oh please. Someone get the drama queen her Oscar. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing you haven't seen a real live female in quite awhile, if ever.  Most women DO NOT look like anime figurines.  Again, the proportions are all wrong (bigger breasts and longer legs =/= better proportions...in fact, it would be the same as shuffling around the current proportion problems and making them apply to different parts of the body).  Are the current figures perfect?  Not by any means.  But I highly doubt that making them look more "anime-esque" is the solution to that problem.

Actually I have and last I checked they weren't supposed to look like the Evil Witch of the West's stand in doubles, unless you actually live in OZ. No real women don't look like Anime women, but last I checked action figures aren't exactly crafted to resemble the human form to a T either. Again this is about maybe adding a little more 'grace' and style to the look of the toys rather then arguing over whether or not the current Lady Jaye figure would look just like she would in real life.

Think about what you said.  Just think about it, and tell me what is fundamentally wrong with that statement.  Read it over, and tell me why that statement doesn't make sense.

And, again, that's the huge trick, you see?  IF such a fusion could be pulled off, that's great.  But the STYLE is what it seems to me would prevent such a thing from happening.

Well I did what you asked, I read it over and over and over and over again but as hard as I tried . . . well I just couldn't find anything wrong with it.

And I think such a combination is possible and could be done very well. It just depends on how open minded the people working on the project are, and in this case I'm glad it's not you. @smilepunch@

GI Joe is, oh, I don't know...BASED IN AMERICA.  How is wanting the show to look somewhat recognizeably American in style considered "American obsessed?"  Just because I refuse to acknowledge all anime as godly (which also apparently makes me an "anime basher" and a Republican)?  If you want to go that far, then one can make the case that you're "Japanese obsessed" and that the bulk of your message is really nothing more than, "GI ANIME?!  JIZZ!!!!" 

All I want is for the style to be less Japanimation and more Westernized.  I fail to see why that is such an unfair request, seeing as how GI Joe is the REAL AMERICAN HERO.

You mean you're NOT a Republican?! Oh my god, someone call Ripley's! The way you went on about how much of a crime against America it would be if G.I. Joe didn't look American I was fearing Homeland Security would bust down my door.

Yes G.I. Joe is the 'Real American Hero', but that doesn't mean he has to suck, and for that couple of animated flicks the Real American Heroes have been the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked. And just because their American doesn't mean, that they absolutely positively have to look like the emotionless, tasteless, imaginationless, bunch of stiff, tight lipped Disney cartoon clones you think they should be.

One of America's best qualitys is our embracing or new concepts and ideas and adding our own unique touches to those cultural art forms, and if you're telling me that just because G.I. Joe is based on American heroes that they can't look like anything else but American, what does that say about the mind set of this country?!

Oh and one last thing about my comment concerning the Teen Titans. That was supposed to be an example of just how obssessed Americans can get over the sterotypes in something like Japanese Anime that we automatically associate those qualitys with an artform like Anime rather then any other good points. Because if Hasbro did insist on giving the job of character designs to someone else, those sterotypes might be the only things they come away with from their own Anime experiences and that would be the real tragedy.

First off I just want to point out what an arrogant thing to say about Anime this is.
It's arrogant to call a style a style? I was under the impression that saying it like it is isn't arrogant. I always thought arrogant was assuming something was better than everything else. Seems to be happening by some people here..

No the original series wasn't Anime, but that's only because Hasbro was not only cheap but ignorant to the fact of how much better it probably would have looked if it had looked like a series like Robotech. The only reason they did make the characters look more Westernized was because that was the dumbed down quality the young American public had been forced upon and expected.

So america is stupid huh? American animation is cheap and stupid? Your perfectly unbiased aren't you.

Yes G.I. Joe is the 'Real American Hero', but that doesn't mean he has to suck, and for that couple of animated flicks the Real American Heroes have been the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked. And just because their American doesn't mean, that they absolutely positively have to look like the emotionless, tasteless, imaginationless, bunch of stiff, tight lipped Disney cartoon clones you think they should be.

and why are you fan of Joe again? you really seem to have a distaste for them. So all american toons are emotionless, etc? really??? Fox and the hound doesn't make you cry? Disney didn't INVENT the animted movie? the art is the onlything responisble for conveying emotion? what about voice actors and writers?

and if you're telling me that just because G.I. Joe is based on American heroes that they can't look like anything else but American, what does that say about the mind set of this country?!

that we like a different style of art than they do? one that is more nostalgic to us? Seems to me your implying were racists, which is just nuts.

I'm not even gonna quote that Anime isn't a style crap, becouse frankly that's just stupid. All animation is done overseas anymore, so that makes it all anime? COME ON!

Cartoon and toy porpotions are more realistic than anime porportions on women.

I also think you fail to realize that this is a KID'S TOON!!!!!!!!!!

again, i like anime, not for Joe, nostalgia alone is a good enough reason to have it be more american. But i also don't want the figs to change style AGAIN, that is really hurting the line.

First off I just want to point out what an arrogant thing to say about Anime this is.

Less arrogant than "ALL THINGS ANIME = ALL THINGS GOOD?" I find that hard to believe.

Anime can be both a style and 'a state of mind'.

Oh, please. It is no more a philosophy or lifestyle than is cubism. Just because it comes from the east doesn't make it deeper than anything in the west.

Even with all the characters with big eyes and exaggerated expressions I've seen dozens of Anime where characters have been able to show more emotion, more depth of feeling, and more personality simply by the way the artist illustrates them then I have in most Western style animated films. Anime is the appreciation of not just bringing something drawn on paper to life, but doing it excellently.

I hardly call ^_____^ excellent, even if it is filled with "expression." To me, such a style (the weird faces specifically, not the overall anime style) would be the equivalent of forming a GI Joe cartoon completely from emoticons.

No the original series wasn't Anime, but that's only because Hasbro was not only cheap but ignorant to the fact of how much better it probably would have looked if it had looked like a series like Robotech.

I'll agree that Robotech looked 100 times better than the original GI Joe, but not because of art style...it was moreso, IMO, because of the fluid motion found in Robotech and in Japanese animation in general. I never disputed this.

The only reason they did make the characters look more Westernized was because that was the dumbed down quality the young American public had been forced upon and expected.

No, I'm guessing it was because these particular characters come from the West. Any other assumption is not only unfounded, but utterly unreasonable and illogical.

Pointed features, and skewed proportions are common in a lot of animated series these days, even everyone's vaunted Justice League series, and again the big eyes thing is not a constant feature. For that matter, where do you think our American animators got the idea for the current style of DC cartoons, cause it sure wasn't from watching repeats of Hanna Barbara toons.

Justice League suffers from Bruce Timm's angular art style; again, I agree with that. However, for that particular show, it seems to work (I never really watch it, but it doesn't bug me when I do). But would Bruce Timm's style work for GI Joe? I personally don't think so. I think the same of the overall anime style.

And as far as the current style of DC cartoons...with the exception of Teen Titans, the characters still retain their Western appearances regardless of the influence; as such, I hope the same will happen with the new GI Joe. Again, I don't see why this is such a bad thing...it's not like I'm screaming for you to burn your precious livelihood (anime), I just don't think that particular style would work in this regard.

Turn over, allowed, given the reigns, landed the part, whatever, they got the job. I agree Hasbro must have come to their senses and realized not only were the full CGI films too expensive but too pathetic and ugly too boot.

Let's not forget "clumsy." The character movements were anything /but/ natural. V3 had a reasonably solid storyline, though; for what it had to work with, that is. So at least it wasn't a total loss.

And that Anime is riding a very high wave of popularity here in the states and that they want to start experimenting with licensing some of their original toylines (like G.I. Joe) to Japanese studios and seeing what they would look like as Anime.

And that is where I believe the mistake is. While anime may work for Transformers (Armada's storyline sucked hard, but the style worked for it with the obvious exception of robots sweat-dropping...that's just ridiculous...and the look of the humans, which lacked all kinds of detail; and I'm also enjoying Energon because, again, that style seems to work for Transformers), I'm understandably leary of the style for GI Joe because, as has been stated, it is largely American-based. Just because anime is popular doesn't mean it is the right style for everything. As I said before, though, if it looks good, then it looks good.

But if they start messing around with how the characters look its going to ruin GONZO's streamline style of production and the thing is going to simply be a disaster, so I hope the character designs will be done by a Japanese artist.

See, I would think the opposite...rather, the way Gonzo designs the characters would be "messing around" with how the characters look. And if they are done by a Japanese artist, then I think we can safely predict that the whole Western style that is inherent in GI Joe (again, it's not GI Jap) will be gone. If you don't think that's a problem, then by all means enjoy the anime. Again, I'm not asking that you ram a hot poker into your grandmother's ass...I'm just asking for the thing to not be made in the anime style if it will not work.

Live a little and take a f***ing chance will yeah!

You say that as though any of us have much of a choice in the matter.

Oh please. Someone get the drama queen her Oscar.

Hey, I'm not the one ready to smite the gaijin round-eyes who point out the flaws in the so-called "god-like" form of animation that is anime (jizz). I didn't cause you to break the Bushido code, Kurasawa. No need to seek me out to "avenge the honor of your family."

Actually I have and last I checked they weren't supposed to look like the Evil Witch of the West's stand in doubles, unless you actually live in OZ.

Some do. Not all women look the same, as they do in anime.

And yes, I do live in Oz.

There. I hope I ruined your fun.

No real women don't look like Anime women, but last I checked action figures aren't exactly crafted to resemble the human form to a T either.

Actually, I didn't think of this point earlier, but do you honestly think that if Hasbro screws up with proportions and looks of their figures the way the concept art is currently drawn...that they'll actually do the anime-styled figures justice? The only way they would not completely screw it up is if the anime-style figures were easier to sculpt, as their heads and such would be larger...or their eyes would be larger...or things would be less detailed...etc. etc. In this case, though, again we'd be trading one proportion problem for another.

And, if action figures are not crafted to resemble the human form to a T, then how is your argument valid at all? Because by that logic, the Scarlet and Baroness figures are permissable, as they /don't/ represent the female form exactly.

Again this is about maybe adding a little more 'grace' and style to the look of the toys rather then arguing over whether or not the current Lady Jaye figure would look just like she would in real life.

And this is where the split comes. Half of the people on here, it would seem, want more realism to the figures, while the other half want more art to them. *shrugs* It's really all just a matter of opinion, but I tend to side with the realism addicts. As such, my argument would probably be that they're war figures; "grace" has little place, if any.

And, to tell the truth, I would hardly call "Love Hina" graceful...

Well I did what you asked, I read it over and over and over and over again but as hard as I tried . . . well I just couldn't find anything wrong with it.

I thought you might say that.

See, the inherent problem in that is assuming that what the property needs is the anime style, and not the anime form (two different things). The style would make it look lest Westernized (which, again, is what GI Joe is...it would be like making a Captain America anime...it just doesn't make sense). The form would give it that sheen and newness and fluidity that made anime superior to American animation in the 80's, and is what several of the DC cartoons have borrowed in their modern incarnations.

And I think such a combination is possible and could be done very well. It just depends on how open minded the people working on the project are, and in this case I'm glad it's not you.

The only difference between you and I is that we're on two different sides of the argument. We're both as closed-minded as the other...it's just that I will admit it.

Then again, I'm also the one who said that if it works, it works. And if it is possible, then that's great. I just don't think it is/will be possible.

You mean you're NOT a Republican?! Oh my god, someone call Ripley's! The way you went on about how much of a crime against America it would be if G.I. Joe didn't look American I was fearing Homeland Security would bust down my door.

You can call off the harbor bombing, Hirohito. No Republicans are present.

Yes G.I. Joe is the 'Real American Hero', but that doesn't mean he has to suck, and for that couple of animated flicks the Real American Heroes have been the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

And you honestly think that the anime style is the panacea? The form is one thing; the style, I feel, would just lead to more problems...the clumsiness of the CGI movies would be gone, but it just wouldn't look like GI Joe. *shrugs* I'm sorry if you fail to see the logic in that argument, and can only hope that you marry well.

And just because their American doesn't mean, that they absolutely positively have to look like the emotionless,

Trigun has lots of emotion, but those emotions are rarely displayed effectively (unless you call ^__^ and >__< "effective;" I just call them "lazy").

tasteless,

Legend of the Overfiend, Akira, Ranma 1/2, Cyborg 009, Project A-Ko...those are examples of Japanese taste, are they? Wow. Just...wow. Obviously, they are so much more refined than we are. Truly amazing.

By the way, I was being sarcastic. Just in case you couldn't tell.

imaginationless,

Sailor Moon, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Blue Seed, and Magical Knight Rayearth. Wow, those are ALL filled with imagination...as is the whole Dragon Ball saga, Fist of the North Star, and Naruto, as well as the Gundam series (All us main characters learned to pilot a mobile suit by accident!), Evangeleon, and Nadesico.

bunch of stiff, tight lipped Disney cartoon clones you think they should be.

It would be so much easier to argue with you if you actually used my points instead of making up points that you /think/ I made.

But I will address this one as the others. As I recall, a great deal of people find merit in Disney's work (post 1988). In fact, a number of people (great majority, I would think) were quite upset when Michael Eisner casually mentioned that Disney would be producing no more animated features...and as far as shows go, I find it hard to believe that you could possibly disregard "Gargoyles" as one of the finest American animated series thus far (in terms of story, style, and form); in fact, if you can disregard it, I would really like to know why (I'm of course talking about the first two seasons and not "Goliath Chronicles," which no one really likes).

All that, and I'm the one who's closed-minded?

My point is that just because it's anime doesn't automatically mean it will work for every show/movie/license. Likewise, I never claimed that just because something is American, it is automatically superior to anime. All I'm saying is that I can't see that style working for GI Joe because the license is so deeply rooted in American culture.

Again, if it works, it works.

One of America's best qualitys is our embracing or new concepts and ideas and adding our own unique touches to those cultural art forms,

...which would happen if Hasbro were to style the characters in a more westernized fashion...

and if you're telling me that just because G.I. Joe is based on American heroes that they can't look like anything else but American,

Well, if they looked Arabic, I don't think that would work, do you? If I'm American with an Eastern European background, I don't expect that my portrait would be painted to look like an Asian man, unless I really do look like an Asian man. Which I don't.

Likewise, I can't see Duke (American), Tomax/Xamot (Italian), Spirit (Amerindian), and Storm Shadow (actually Japanese) looking like they have the same ethnic background when, what do you know, they don't. If there is nothing else that the anime style has proven, it is that all the characters (unless they are either of drastically different background like Mr. PoPo from DBZ or that Chinese guy from Ranma 1/2, in which they come off as characatures anyway; and don't get me started on the KKK festival that is Cyborg 009) look fundamentally the same, but with a simply change of skintone. That's great and all, very PC, but it's not entirely accurate.

what does that say about the mind set of this country?!

Well, first of all, it says that the views of the entire country are based upon my own, and that, as flattered as I am by your thought, is simply not true. Second, it says that we are pretty logical with regards to how our characters look (they don't have different backgrounds and, yet, all look the same save for skin color) and how that relates to reality.

Oh and one last thing about my comment concerning the Teen Titans. That was supposed to be an example of just how obssessed Americans can get over the sterotypes in something like Japanese Anime that we automatically associate those qualitys with an artform like Anime rather then any other good points.

I never said anime doesn't have good points, and I think most will agree that Teen Titans is just an all-around failure, anyway. And if they don't...well, I at least see it that way. *shrugs*

Because if Hasbro did insist on giving the job of character designs to someone else, those sterotypes might be the only things they come away with from their own Anime experiences and that would be the real tragedy.

That's a very good point, actually, and would be (I feel) a tragedy of equal proportions to that of all of the characters having a noticeably Eastern flare to them (where said flare would normally not apply).

As long as it works for the license, I'll be happy...but just because it's anime doesn't automatically mean it /will/ work.