Scale Issues

Crimson Twins

I was recently packing up all the Joe stuff that I ordered while out here in preparation to go home, and I noticed that the Jungle Strike Humvee makes other Joe vehicles seem almost ridiculously small. I put the Humvee next to a HAVOC, and the once behemoth Joe tank looked almost wimpy. It was just something I never heard mentioned in anyone's reviews. I was wondering if anyone really took the time to notice it.

#US1#

Glad to hear your coming home soon. I think the Jungle Strike has a more realistic proportion (I haven't taken measurements, but it just seems that way), especially when compared to the ridiculously large Hammer/Brawler mold (also a Humvee). Hopefully all new vehicles will come with proportions like this.

I was recently packing up all the Joe stuff that I ordered while out here in preparation to go home, and I noticed that the Jungle Strike Humvee makes other Joe vehicles seem almost ridiculously small. I put the Humvee next to a HAVOC, and the once behemoth Joe tank looked almost wimpy. It was just something I never heard mentioned in anyone's reviews. I was wondering if anyone really took the time to notice it.

#US1#

I had. though I would note that the real Humvee is very big for what it is: its somewhere between what other armies use for the 'Jeep' role and a small truck: the most direct equivalent I know of is the British Armies TUL (Truck, Utility, Light: basicly Land Rover Defenders), and they are significantly smaller than the Humvee.

Also in General all the Joe vehicles larger than Motorbike have been downscaled a quite a bit to work better as toys: The large size of the Patriot Grizzly caused a lot of comment when it first came out but it's actually a fairly realistic size for a real Main Battle Tank.

Glad to hear your coming home soon. I think the Jungle Strike has a more realistic proportion (I haven't taken measurements, but it just seems that way), especially when compared to the ridiculously large Hammer/Brawler mold (also a Humvee). Hopefully all new vehicles will come with proportions like this.

Those dimensions are almost perfect. I've been commenting on the perfection of this new humvee mold since I first got my hands on one. It's downright wonderful. I'd say it's pretty much the best 1:18 scale humvee out there, dimension wise. I know there's more highly detailed ones, but the Joe one really captures the pure size of it all.

#US1#

I had. though I would note that the real Humvee is very big for what it is: its somewhere between what other armies use for the 'Jeep' role and a small truck: the most direct equivalent I know of is the British Armies TUL (Truck, Utility, Light: basicly Land Rover Defenders), and they are significantly smaller than the Humvee.

Also in General all the Joe vehicles larger than Motorbike have been downscaled a quite a bit to work better as toys: The large size of the Patriot Grizzly caused a lot of comment when it first came out but it's actually a fairly realistic size for a real Main Battle Tank.

The humvee took the place of the American's jeep in the Amry back in '85. Jeeps were great vehicles, but were very prone to rollover accidents. The wider base of the humvee allowed for a more stable ride. The downside to this was that it lost a lot of the agility of the Jeep, and was also limited to the places it could go. Those small alleyways that Jeeps could crawl through would forever be cut off to the much wider Humvee.

Also, when I was younger, I had never realized the fact that Joe stuff was somewhat downsized until I saw a real SR-71 Blackbird (what the Cobra Night Raven was modeled after). That helped me realize that Joe stuff was built slightly smaller, and it all began to make sense.

I believe the Grizzly is a great looking tank, and I prefer the larger proportions personally. Especially when compared to the likeness of the Mobat, or CAT II.

#US1#

now that you mention it that humvee seems pretty big. but at least it is very well done and looks incredible.

There's actually psychologocial reasons for the undersized vehicles. It makes the figures seem larger than life and accordingly more appealing to children who respond better to that kind of scale difference. If most of the items were scale--the figures would seem like runts in comparison.

It all about feeding the fantasy.

I thought it was just a cost saving measure...

I remember being really disappointed finding out that all the Star Wars vehicles from the '80s, which I remember being "the right size" were incredibly small. It wasn't as bad with GI Joes, I though. But if they continue to release more realistically proportioned vehicles (which I hope they do), some will inevitably look out of place.

The HISS looks way small compared to the Humvee. It really doesn't look like a tank in comparison. However, it does make it look more like a HIgh Speed Sentry. So, the more realistic Humvee makes other vehicles seem more realistic in their own right.

Good point.

I always thought the HISS looked small. It's not even really a tank, when you think about it. Look at those tiny cannons...

It goes against everything a tank should be. It has a forward cockpit. A glass one no less. The gunner is wide open and unprotected. The two cannons are barely powerful enough to be considered tank worthy. Plus, it's overall design makes it very prone to rollover and general balance problems. The high speed hardly sets it apart from being a tank. Tanks are not that slow when they get rolling. The one thing that makes the HISS a great weapon would be it's ability to get into small places. I would think of the HISS as more of an Urban Assault tank. More so than the Rage that's for sure.