Return Of The Accessory Packs

toonces

I would like to see the Play set return with some sort of action dives.

Back when they where coming out with those Battle Core Figs; I always thought it would be cool If they had some sort thing to use all those Bazookas with. Would it had not been neat if they came out with a play set that had place on it that you hit and would spring loaded explode. I think that would be cool.

Put one troop builder figure in a pack and then stuff in a lot of weapons around him....And sell it as a "One Man Cobra Army" or some crap like that, so the retailers won't even give it a 2nd glance.

exactly! gotta be sneaky. actually, i dont care about the small pieces. they can lump all the pieces together if they must, as long as we get some playsets..... well, as long as the quality doesnt conjure up battle-blitz-type memories.

You can blame the Star Wars E1 packs as the reason you won't see them ever again. Retailers won't buy them and Hasbro has no desire to push them ever again.

Draven

It's sad that failures with another line would hamper the possibilities of the Joe line....I don't collect Star Wars so I would not have thought of the point you brought up... I still say it would be like comparing apples and oranges when looking at those two lines, the Joe items would sell and there should be no comparision between the lines. But try to tell that to retailers....

I collect both Joes and SW (as well as Transformers) and it really is like Apples and Oranges. Frist off Accessory Packs for Star Wars are pretty useless. Almost every Star Wars figure comes with exactly what you saw him have on the screne. Kids don't need accessory packs for Star Wars figures. If Obi-Wan used a Grappleing hook.....there is one outta the 15 Obi-Wans that has a Grappleing hook.

And on top of that it was part of the blitz turned glut that was Episode 1. That not only killed the chances of accessory packs, but it almost killed the secondary market of Star Wars stuff.

In the end I think these things would do better at retail then the Star Wars ones did. You should sneak them in....Put one troop builder figure in a pack and then stuff in a lot of weapons around him....And sell it as a "One Man Cobra Army" or some crap like that, so the retailers won't even give it a 2nd glance.

But retailers don't think that way as GrayGhost said. And frankly Hasbro does not believe they will sell either. I think the best we will ever see is small playsets with some stuff at some point.

Draven

Actually, the Target SW accessory packs sold rather well, but that's because they had army-builders.

I would love some, i want some more helments and some leather neck sunglasses! i agree you have to give em an army builder (and preferably int he exact same paint scheme as a previous release!)

You can blame the Star Wars E1 packs as the reason you won't see them ever again. Retailers won't buy them and Hasbro has no desire to push them ever again.

Draven

It's sad that failures with another line would hamper the possibilities of the Joe line....I don't collect Star Wars so I would not have thought of the point you brought up... I still say it would be like comparing apples and oranges when looking at those two lines, the Joe items would sell and there should be no comparision between the lines. But try to tell that to retailers....

I collect both Joes and SW (as well as Transformers) and it really is like Apples and Oranges. Frist off Accessory Packs for Star Wars are pretty useless. Almost every Star Wars figure comes with exactly what you saw him have on the screne. Kids don't need accessory packs for Star Wars figures. If Obi-Wan used a Grappleing hook.....there is one outta the 15 Obi-Wans that has a Grappleing hook.

And on top of that it was part of the blitz turned glut that was Episode 1. That not only killed the chances of accessory packs, but it almost killed the secondary market of Star Wars stuff.

In the end I think these things would do better at retail then the Star Wars ones did. You should sneak them in....Put one troop builder figure in a pack and then stuff in a lot of weapons around him....And sell it as a "One Man Cobra Army" or some crap like that, so the retailers won't even give it a 2nd glance.

But retailers don't think that way as GrayGhost said. And frankly Hasbro does not believe they will sell either. I think the best we will ever see is small playsets with some stuff at some point.

Draven

Well I was meaning to actually sneak them in a regular case assortment with the normal 2 packs. Have the time retailers don't know what they ordering. If you call it "weapons assortment" they'll say "Those don't sell we don't want them" Put the name "Cobra Battle Scene assortment" on the same figures and they'll think it's a great idea. Just as long as you don't throw big red flags in thier faces.

Now Hasbro on the other hand......well if they are too dumb to know the difference in their own auidence for a brand, and the difference in another and assume all are exactly the same. Well then they deserve to not be able to make the profit off a cheap repaint and a bunch of left over weapons. Their loss.

Well, as far as SW is concerned, I always saw the toys as "scene builders" more than actually something with which to play. For example, grab any Joe and they all have the same articulation (with a few extras) and can be used in any capacity. SW figures have articulation, but it is "posed" articulation in the sense that the figure can only be put in so many positions. I picked a Darth Maul figure. The lightsaber could be held with the left hand high or the right hand high (the lightsaber at an angle). That was the extent of the usefulness of his articulation.

And, given that, the same is said for the accessory packs. As Rama Sha pointed out, the figures come with whatever equipment was in the scene. In fact, I think if we wait long enough we will get a Han Solo for every individual frame of each movie.

You have to also remember the RAH packs didn't sell well back in the day either. So there is a lot of "bad" history here.

Draven

True, but that was mostly due the crappy colors.

If they did weapons/accessory packs in black, brown, tan and, maybe, green, they'd sell better. Definately better than the blues and other weird colors from the 80s.

Also, back in the day, there wasn't a secondary market like there is today

You have to also remember the RAH packs didn't sell well back in the day either. So there is a lot of "bad" history here.

Draven

True, but that was mostly due the crappy colors.

If they did weapons/accessory packs in black, brown, tan and, maybe, green, they'd sell better. Definately better than the blues and other weird colors from the 80s.

Also, back in the day, there wasn't a secondary market like there is today

Trust me I am not against them and would welcome them but Hasbro doesn't think like we are in this sense of the colors were bad and that was then, etc. :(

But I think sets with a lot of gear and one figure have a strong chance one day.

Draven

If Hasbro were to do their Hasbro Direct mail-in catalog thing, the accessory packs would be ideal. They wouldn't need any packaging art and all that, just a plain white or brown box with the weapons inside. Grab a fist-full and shove into a box and mail it out.

I guess these would be cool, but they arent on the top of my list. I would prefer more figures to more weapons, since I have tons of weapons to spare anyway.

but hey the more the merrier

I think mail order should be the way to go with these. Get some use out of the Battlepoints. That way those that wpould care can order them and those who dont care dont have to put up with them rotting on the pegs. Just one little inexpensive leaflet detailing the assortment and order form slipped in with the comics/catalogues.

And several figure stands with each pack are an absolute must.

I think mail order should be the way to go with these. Get some use out of the Battlepoints. That way those that wpould care can order them and those who dont care dont have to put up with them rotting on the pegs. Just one little inexpensive leaflet detailing the assortment and order form slipped in with the comics/catalogues.

8speed and Doc are right on. This is how it should be done. That's the only way it would work imo.

Draven

And its more cost effective for Hasbro. The molds already exist. Plus they dont have to bother with designing fancy packaging. Just the bare bones plastic bags and mailing envelopes, which would of course be paid for by the s/h charges. Those who would care already have the Battlepoints stocked up, but it certainly wouldnt hurt sales any if extra toys were bought for the points by kids who just stumbled into the program.

Win/win scenario any way you look at it. Just make the weapons black, silver or gunmetal. Nothing fancy.

Draven

Damn it!

Forgot about those.

How could you! @smilepunch@ Those suckers sat at even 50 cents at most TRU's for months.

Draven

Hey that was how I was able to get the wrist communicator and binoculars that should have came with the Darth Maul/speederbike set in the first place.

I spent $3 on that just for those two things and and the drones on sand stands. everything else went out with the trash.

So would we be able to select specific weapons? That would be cool.

Not that it isnt a cool idea, but I dont think being able to select specific weapons for your pack would be feasible. For mail order Hasbro would probably prefer the convenince of a set asst of weapons that they can yank out of the warehouse, stamp the address to it and send it on its merry way. Too much hassle to go through on a case by case basis, if Im understanding you correctly. These things seem to be done in bulk, so theyd probably prefer to produce a set amount of a set assortment at once.

But I suppose they could come up with different packs with different weapon assortments, and you could choose from the assortment you like most. Like Joe themed or Cobra themed. That would probably be a little more likely.

I was going to mention later that they could sort of borrow a page from the old retail packs and have one new weapons pack each year. Not that having a choice isnt good, but I imagine Hasbro might prefer to keep things as streamlined and simple as possible, since they wouldnt be making much, if any money at all on these things.

Then again, second guessing Hasbro is like trying to herd cats.