Derryl Depriest Is Moving To The Star Wars Line

Tazzzman

*eats popcorn

sooooo guys remember that nice thread awhile back? were we kinda got off topic about pudding? and how there was no yelling and it was nice?

*continues to eat popcorn

Crap! Now I really want some butterscotch pudding again!

I gotta stop reading these threads.... @grumpy@

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, the secret is out. hasbro and Depriest only restarted the Joe line to make bad figures and then cancel it again just to spite us. it is a big conspiracy and the fact is hasbro hates us and is doing it on purpose.

Get real.

No one is saying theyre making bad stuff on purpose or is out to deliberately slight anyone. Theres a difference between spite and not putting in as much commitment to quality in one line as another. Even I acknowledge DePriest is not out to get anyone. But what self professed fan lets stuff that isnt as good as it could be hit the shelves if he loves it so much?

I know I didnt hallucinate all the critiques here about Anti-Venom and Desert Patrol. Every re-issue has had SOME critique like poor weapon selections in the Cobra Infantry and individuals in the Ninja and Urban sets.

Jay C: I don't consider the Joe line a sinking ship with the numbers it's and done and the sales of increased waves and store exclusives.

Change is common in Corporate America and I think it's a bump for DDD.

Again, I', no Hasbro exec but if there's a decrease in sales I think it has more to do with the politics of distribution, not dissinterest in the line.

Brian

No one is saying theyre making bad stuff on purpose or is out to deliberately slight anyone. Theres a difference between spite and not putting in as much commitment to quality in one line as another. Even I acknowledge DePriest is not out to get anyone. But what self professed fan lets stuff that isnt as good as it could be hit the shelves if he loves it so much?

please define the difference between someone making bad products on purpose(my interpretation of your stance) and someone who doesn't seem to care whether a bad product is made (your actuall stance). if someone doesn't care whether the product is bad, they are indirectly making a bad product on purpose because they are not trying to make a good one. so in effect they are the same thing.

you also question his motives for doing so, saying that he has no love for the 3"ers. so what would his motive be for making JvC so bad in your book? sure, saying he does it on purpose to spite you is an exageration, but not any more so than saying he doesn't care to make a good product.

I really don't care WHO is in charge, just as long as the product quality improves on both the JvC line and the reissues.

And, as far as DePriest is concerned, everything I've ever heard about this guy is that he is a bigger fan of the 12" line then the 3" line. Not saying he slacked off on the 3" line, but it isn't too hard to believe that he gave more attention and budget to the 12" line. I think most of US here would do similar if put in the same position (ie. give more attention/budget to the 3" line over the 12" line).

No one needs to worry about 3 3/4 Joes, the line is not even in trouble. The stuff is selling and well.

Draven

I sure hope so, it looks like everything is going well and for the most part they have been doing a great jo (except for single packs ;) ).

I really don't care WHO is in charge, just as long as the product quality improves on both the JvC line and the reissues.

And, as far as DePriest is concerned, everything I've ever heard about this guy is that he is a bigger fan of the 12" line then the 3" line. Not saying he slacked off on the 3" line, but it isn't too hard to believe that he gave more attention and budget to the 12" line. I think most of US here would do similar if put in the same position (ie. give more attention/budget to the 3" line over the 12" line).

Agreed, as long as the line is going good and continues to improve.

No one needs to worry about 3 3/4 Joes, the line is not even in trouble. The stuff is selling and well.

Draven

I sure hope so, it looks like everything is going well and for the most part they have been doing a great jo (except for single packs ;) ).

Yeah the singles can be a pain! But I know for a fact that the line as a whole has continued to grow sales wise the last few years. Its out selling the 12 line now as some of you may remember hearing at the Con.

Draven

No one is saying theyre making bad stuff on purpose or is out to deliberately slight anyone. Theres a difference between spite and not putting in as much commitment to quality in one line as another. Even I acknowledge DePriest is not out to get anyone. But what self professed fan lets  stuff that isnt as good as it could be hit the shelves if he loves it so much?

please define the difference between someone making bad products on purpose(my interpretation of your stance) and someone who doesn't seem to care whether a bad product is made (your actuall stance). if someone doesn't care whether the product is bad, they are indirectly making a bad product on purpose because they are not trying to make a good one. so in effect they are the same thing.

you also question his motives for doing so, saying that he has no love for the 3"ers. so what would his motive be for making JvC so bad in your book? sure, saying he does it on purpose to spite you is an exageration, but not any more so than saying he doesn't care to make a good product.

It's pretty simple really! Doc's never indicated that Depriest was doing ANYTHING on purpose, as you want to twist and contour his statements into suggesting as much, but rather, it's merely a matter of not being as in tune or entirely in the know, about what the CORE attributes of the 3 3/4" ARAH Joe line REALLY was, and therefore, Depriest was not hitting the mark as well.

Hell, even I liked the 3 3/4" Joe line, being a 60's & 70's Joe kid myself, and yet, even I realize that there was FAR more going on in the 80's, with the RAH line, that I was definitely unaware of. I liked the toys VERY much, but after joining these types of groups to discuss them, MAN did I ever get the education on what it was REALLY all about. ;)

I think there's a large number of members here on this very site, that I'd have all the confidence in the world, to give some much needed input to the line, just based off of what they know, not only about the toys themselves, but the history behind the ARAH story, be it comics or even cartoons, and then what I see them DO with them.....customs, repaints etc...!

It's not a "harsh" criticism of Depriest, to recognize and admit, that he likely doesn't have this level of ethusiasm towards the 3 3/4" Joe line.

Lest anyone here think..............and it has to be spelled out yet AGAIN....the 12" line has had its bumps too.

Don't believe it???

C'mon, the 3 3/4" is NOT the black sheep here, its right alongside the 12" scale.

Now.........for example........

Here's some common complaints from the 12" crowd.

--40th anniversary sets cannot be found.

--Timeless collection sets cannot be found

--too many of certain 40th anniversary sets can be found.

--40th anniversary sets are too expensive.

--40th anniversary sets going on clearance right out of the gate, and retailers wont order more because they all sold, but they didn't make any money.

--Timeless collection sets collect dust on the shelves--retailers won't order more ( repeat for 40th aniiversary)

--shoes in a certain 40th anniversary set don't fit figure.

---head sculpt on new 40th anniversary GIJOE is all wrong.

--Helmet sculpts all wrong

--die-cast metal in Timeless collection sets is not liked

--feet too small on new Classic Collection figures.

--cannot tell which Classic Collection figures have super articulation.

--some figures were supposed to have basic articulation, so had super articulation, then appeared with basic articulation--then reappeared again WITH super articulation.

--too much re-use of weapons and gear.

--too many weapons of the same kind, but with completely new/different molds--how many ways can hasbro do an M-16 rifle anyway?

--figures appearing with molded on shirts

--figures appearing with made up camoflage clothing--not authentic.

--figures have too little gear, look cheap

--figures look too toy-like.

--figures not toy-like enough because the original GIJOE was a toy, not a model...etc.

and on and on and on and on..............

This sound familliar??

There is NO "bastard child" scale going on in GIJOE--both scales have equal attention paid to them, both have equal problems, both cliques of fans have equal praise and beefs.

And arguing about all this is about as pointless as arguing about politics and relgion here.

And arguing about all this is about as pointless as arguing about politics and relgion here.

:rolleyes:

You can't be serious?

If you can't handle disagreement with you Ken, don't step into the discussion...plain and simple! The "politics and religion" reference (that we all know is verboten) was pretty pathetic an attempt to shut down the debate going on here about TOYS and their makers and marketers!

I disagree. it seems very clear that he is intimating that DePriest is a 12" inch fan and only cares about making the 12" figures great, and doesn't care about making the 3" figures as good. He didn't merely say that DePriest is making the 12" figures better, he blatantly stated a motive for it, that his "loyalties" are with the 12" figures, as if he doesn't care to make the 3" line good, which is just a ridiculous statement to make. no twisting or interpretation of his statements is needed, this is all clear in his own words. to say the man isn't concerned about making the 3" line good is just absurd. His job depends (or did) on the success of the G.I. Joe product. do you honestly think the man is going to risk promotion or raises merely because he likes the 12" figures better and wants them to be better figures than the 3" line? I don't know DePriest, but I say it is safe to assume his main goal was to make both lines as succesful as possible, because their success meant his success.

perhaps he was moved to the Star Wars line because of the success he has had with G.I. Joe and Hasbro now wants him to make the Star Wars figures as succesful. let's be honest, Star Wars is a bigger product for Hasbro, so obviously this is an upward move for him. kind of like being upgraded from the practice squad to special teams to the starting lineup.

OH CRAP!

Just when StarWars was getting good again after overcoming those horrible Episode 2 action-feature crappy figures!

DDP is going to try to sink that line too

Star Wars is already hosed.

The action features are making a comeback with the Episode III line, something decided long before the DePriest fellow was assigned to the line.

I disagree.  it seems very clear that he is intimating that DePriest is a 12" inch fan and only cares about making the 12" figures great, and doesn't care about making the 3" figures as good. .

Sorry to ruin this nice little Ahab complex you seem to have worked yourself into, but Viper Hunter pretty much summed up the whole jist of this great white whale's posts. If you cant accept that, well then that's your problem, not mine.

So give it a rest already, Cap'n.

I disagree. it seems very clear that he is intimating that DePriest is a 12" inch fan and only cares about making the 12" figures great, and doesn't care about making the 3" figures as good.

No! He's suggesting that Depriest (more than likely) knew a little more about how to try and make the new 12" line "better" or how to go about marketing them, than he (likely) did the 3 3/4" line, only because of his age and experience as a kid, PLAYING with the 12" Joes and not so much the later.

He wasn't suggesting either, that maybe Depriest was making bad decisions on PURPOSE, because he "didn't care", but maybe...just MAYBE, didn't know as much or better, than what someone of the ARAH age group would?

Now whether or not anyone agrees that the 12" line has received more attention or is getting some better changes to it, is debatable of course, but Doc has made some good points regardless, and they shouldn't be taken so negatively, as an attack or harsh insult towards Depriest.

I don't know DePriest, but I say it is safe to assume his main goal was to make both lines as succesful as possible, because their success meant his success.

No argument there! I know Doc would agree as well, but what Doc has done, that you (and a few others) are taking exception to, is give some plausible REASON, as to why some of the most horrid of horrid, practical goofs, bloops and blunders, have occured within the last several years of the NEW JvC line. Constant changes are usually indicative of something not going entirely as hoped or planned and means a LOT of guess work was being implemented. "Guess work" comes about, when somebody doesn't know the TRUE attraction of the product to it's fanbase, or enough about it, to attract a NEW fanbase.

When the OLD fanbase weren't happy, we sometimes heard things like "they don't care, because it's for the NEW fanbase" and when the new fanbase numbers weren't mounting, it was backpeddle time to try to make the OLD fanbase happy again.

perhaps he was moved to the Star Wars line because of the success he has had with G.I. Joe and Hasbro now wants him to make the Star Wars figures as succesful.  let's be honest, Star Wars is a bigger product for Hasbro, so obviously this is an upward move for him.  kind of like being upgraded from the practice squad to special teams to the starting lineup.

If it was me....I'd be p!ssed! I hate Star Wars toys, and the new movies SUCK! If I was into G.I.Joes and had the awesome job of being involved in the line somehow, as my CAREER, and I got moved to the STAR WARS division.....YUCK!! @grumpy@

But that's just me! ;)

If it was me....I'd be p!ssed! I hate Star Wars toys, and the new movies SUCK! If I was into G.I.Joes and had the awesome job of being involved in the line somehow, as my CAREER, and I got moved to the STAR WARS division.....YUCK!! @grumpy@

But that's just me! ;)

Yea, but what if they paid you more?

:rolleyes:

You can't be serious?

If you can't handle disagreement with you Ken, don't step into the discussion...plain and simple! The "politics and religion" reference (that we all know is verboten) was pretty pathetic an attempt to shut down the debate going on here about TOYS and their makers and marketers!

No, sir. its the "Derryl Depriest has ruined GIJOE" argument that is utterly pointless.

Go back to sulking about not being able to bully people over politics, willya--you are all to willing to jump all over me because you lost out on your "fun".

Enough, you two.

Don't lump me in with a "you two" there Freddie! ^_^

I could careless about Kens obvious OTHER issues!

If it was me....I'd be p!ssed!  I hate Star Wars toys, and the new movies SUCK!  If I was into G.I.Joes and had the awesome job of being involved in the line somehow, as my CAREER, and I got moved to the STAR WARS division.....YUCK!!  @grumpy@

But that's just me!  ;)

Yea, but what if they paid you more?

@hmmm@ ummmmmm......money....isn't....everything?

@lol@