Derryl Depriest Is Moving To The Star Wars Line

Tazzzman

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not very informed when it comes to DePriest; I awlays assumed he made some bad decisions when it came to the 3-3/4" Joe line. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I don't know. I just hope we don't see a backlash against Star Wars because he's involved in steering the line in a direction that nobody likes like we saw with G.I. Joe. But I'm thinking Lucas holds such a tight hold of the reigns with Star Wars product that DePriest won't do too much damage. I guess the only creative stuff you can do with Star Wars with any outside influence is the Expanded Universe stuff. I think it'll be okay as long as we don't see any more gimmicks that muck up the figures' construction.

I hope the new guy can bring in better quality control for Joe products. As well as better figure and vehicle selection, better accessories, better colors and.... just better overall.

Hope his first year handling RAH stuff is a good one.

it's hard to tell if this was a promotion or sidestepping to a similar/lesser position within a larger brand that's getting ready to go through a huge product launch and needs the extra help.

depriest & co. have done a much better job in avoiding listening to retailers tell them how their toys should be made and it's more noticable in the quality of designs on the newer vehicles like the JS Humvee and thunderwing (wouldn't this jet still be cool without the missile system?). enough small talk, when do we get to see Eco Joes again>?

GI Joe a sinking ship? Uhh..ok..

It's hotter than ever desoite current world events. Next year will see a more collector oriented line as well. DDD is awesome and we'e looking forward to speaking with him soon about his ideas on the SW line. He said it would be a months before he'd speak to anyone as he wants to get his hands around the line.

Brian

GI Joe a sinking ship? Uhh..ok..

Yeah sinking ship. Thats when a product lines sales aren't doing well so the product designer jumps to another line so he doent loose his job.

Not saying that is the case here but it's certainly been a reason for this type of change in the toy world before, could also be the reverse, maybe GIJoe is doing so well that they thought he could do the same for Star Wars. But let me guess someone at Hasbro told you the line was doing great and lots of great things are on the horizon cause you know if the line was really tanking im sure they would come right out and tell you???

Again though Im not saying that is the case or hope its the case. I don't know, and it could certainly be for a number of reasons, but i have been around enough to know it certainly can be a reason for that type of change and I have delt with Hasbro enough to know if it was the reason they sure wouldn't tell any of us.

Yeah sinking ship. Thats when a product lines sales aren't doing well so the product designer jumps to another line so he doent loose his job.

Not saying that is the case here but it's certainly been a reason for this type of change in the toy world before, could also be the reverse, maybe GIJoe is doing so well that they thought he could do the same for Star Wars. But let me guess someone at Hasbro told you the line was doing great and lots of great things are on the horizon cause you know if the line was really tanking im sure they would come right out and tell you???

Again though Im not saying that is the case or hope its the case. I don't know, and it could certainly be for a number of reasons, but i have been around enough to know it certainly can be a reason for that type of change and I have delt with Hasbro enough to know if it was the reason they sure wouldn't tell any of us.

Amen, brother JayC!

My feeling is that a move to Star Wars would be a lateral move at best. While that can be good career strategy in a large company, it usually is a sign of something more troubling going on. Again, I'm only a slight doomsayer, but I don't think this is the best news for the long term stability of the Joe line as we currently know it.

Whaddaya gonna do?

It's either a "gee...it was fun while it lasted!" coming our way soon (which I think it will eventually anyway) or a slight boost and a "HEY...this is GREAT!" for a period of extended time.

Can't do much about it either way, so I'll just hope for the best and refrain from "speculation". ^_^

DDD Has a love of the SW line does he? I remember he was quoted as having a love of the RAH line too, even though his GI Joe book dealt only briefly with RAH. He made 3 3/4" Joe a joke with stupid gimmicks, bad proportionas and was praising t-crotches as the greatest thing to happen to Joe, then turned around and stated otherwise when he felt the wind chase direction. the 12" Joes got a new more poseable body, what did JvC get? Sound Attack, bad proportions, cheap gimmicks, action attack and lousy paint jobs.

Im getting the impression he'll say he has a deep abiding love for ANYTHING he's assigned to, just for appearances. Even Mr Potato Head and My Little Pony. He's a corporate yes man through and through.

My feeling is that a move to Star Wars would be a lateral move at best. While that can be good career strategy in a large company, it usually is a sign of something more troubling going on. Again, I'm only a slight doomsayer, but I don't think this is the best news for the long term stability of the Joe line as we currently know it.

He could have switched jobs for any number of reasons. It's probably seen as a promotion, as SW is more high-profile than Joe is right now. No big deal. It doesn't mean anything "more troubling" is going on at all.

DDD Has a love of the SW line does he? I remember he was quoted as having a love of the RAH line too, even though his GI Joe book dealt only briefly with RAH. He made 3 3/4" Joe a joke with stupid gimmicks, bad proportionas and was praising t-crotches as the greatest thing to happen to Joe, then turned around and stated otherwise when he felt the wind chase direction. the 12" Joes got a new more poseable body, what did JvC get? Sound Attack, bad proportions, cheap gimmicks, action attack and lousy paint jobs.

I agree 100%. Frankly I'm surprised at how many people lament his departure.

I read somewhere that Derryl DePriest likes Star Wars more than Joes and is a huge fan of Star Wars Expanded Universe.

Could be that Hasbro wanted to do more EU with Star Wars and thought he was a good choice to work on that.

I also heard awhile back that Hasbro signed to keep making Joes and Star Wars up to 2008. I think both brands are doing well enough that they will be around a few more years.

I dont think Derryl is a BAD person. I certainly wish no ill on him. But I do doubt his sincerity and commitment. Hes just doing a job he's hired to do. That in and of itself I have no problem with. Its just I dont really think he puts his money where his mouth is. He's first and foremost a corporate toady. He claims to care just to keep us at bay. He talks a good game but Im just not seeing the love for the property.

And even if his love WAS on the level, not even all the love in the world will make you immune to lame decisions.

I read somewhere that Derryl DePriest likes Star Wars more than Joes and is a huge fan of Star Wars Expanded Universe.

Derryl's authored numerous articles and at least one book on GIJOE _ that I know of. The book in question catalogues all known variations of the original 1960's-1970's 12" GIJOE line-featuring many items from Derryl's own collection. He's most assuredly a uber-GIJOE fan before anything else.

He's a nice fellow and a savvy collector-friendly type to boot.

I dont think Derryl is a BAD person. I certainly wish no ill on him. But I do doubt his sincerity and commitment. Hes just doing a job he's hired to do. That in and of itself I have no problem with. Its just I dont really think he puts his money where his mouth is. He's first and foremost a corporate toady. He claims to care just to keep us at bay. He talks a good game but Im just not seeing the love for the property.

And even if his love WAS on the level, not even all the love in the world will make you immune to lame decisions.

Doc--I don't think any of this is fair.

Derryl was a GIJOE fan BEFORE he went to Hasbro--his degree in Marketing landed him the gig AFTER writing a exhaustive book on the original 12" GIJOE brand.

No way, no how, is the guy some toady hired to do just a "job".

I've met him personally, I've conversed with him on-line for a few years now--he's not what you are thinking.

If there's been bad decisions--remember that those decisions get made BY COMMITTEE, so his might not be the only deciding voice.

BTW, let's look at these bad decisions, shall we.

GIJOE is on toy shelves in 12" AND 3 3?4" form, its on TV and VDV/video, if in books, comics, video games, and movies...........its on clothing and other items-- most of those alluding to the 3 3/4" brand..........sounds like some SMART decisions are being made by my reckoning.

It might not be product that's appealing to EVERYONE's tastes, but there's still a significant presence on store shelves.

Just go back to GIJOE Extreme and see what "love" was.....not.

GIJOE is on toy shelves in 12" AND 3 3?4" form, its on TV and VDV/video, if in books, comics, video games, and movies...........its on clothing and other items-- most of those alluding to the 3 3/4" brand..........sounds like some SMART decisions are being made by my reckoning.

I don't know... it's not REALLY on TV. One crappy movie on a cable network doesn't count in my book. There's still a long way to go before GI Joe regains its glory days.

Depriest is in my age group, that grew up with the ultimate and original "glory days" of G.I.Joe, of the 12" variety! ^_^

I don't think there should be ANY doubt as to his undying love for the toyline still, but whether or not his heart and DIVIDED attention is split evenly between the 12" and the 3 3/4".....well, that's likely an easy one to figure out!

f5fed0b8.jpg

;)

Take a guy who is as ethusiastic as Depriest is about the G.I.Joe line (particularly the 12" line) for the little guys, and who grew up with them, like Depriest did the original Joes, and I would feel pretty good about the prospects.

I don't know... it's not REALLY on TV. One crappy movie on a cable network doesn't count in my book. There's still a long way to go before GI Joe regains its glory days.

Both films have been broadcast AND commercials for GIJOE product are broadcast regularly.

It will NEVER regain its glory days--that will never happen due to the fact that kids are more attracted to video games than action figures.

In the 1980's video games were in their infancy, and cannot hold a candle to the games that are out now. Toys have a juggernaut of a competitor in video games and a collector presence simply isn't enough to justify a broad-based line of action figures and vehicles.

It doesn't stop companies like Hasbro from trying, but I think that, sooner or later, they will simply accquiesce to the reality of the times.

I think Im being quite fair

I never said he wasnt a Joe fan. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever that he loves 12" Joe quite a bit. Im not questioning that. But I dont give two craps for the 12" line.

But it certainly doesnt show for the 3 3/4". 12" gets a sweet new poseable body, cloth uniforms, lifelike accs. Even more fantasy based products like the Xenon packs get an attention to quality.

What does the 3 3/4" get? The shaft. Teeny tiny pinheads and ginormous shoulders, vehicles that look like things you ride at the state fair. Bland generic weapon selections rather than individual character weaponry and soft plastic that cant maintain a decent grip on figurestands for long. Lets not forget bad skin tones and a a disgraceful lack of professionalism in re-issue paint jobs and weaponry selection.

I think its clear where your beloved Derryl's loyalties truly lie.

And also, just because GI Joe label is whored out to every clothing and toiletry. I dont care if Dukes grin is plastered on the pee flap of some seven year olds underwear. The Anti-Venom set STILL has bad skin colors. The figures are all that truly matters.

As someone in the entertainment industry, you of all people should know that successful and/or widely distributed does not equal QUALITY. Make him out to be the almighty messiah of marketing all you want, but we STILL havent had one decently painted retail Viper re-issue since 1998.

Lets not forget how he took one of the greatest subplots in Joe history, Stormshadows story of revenge, deception and redemption by joining the heroes and flushed it down the crapper by turning him into a villain again for no apparent reason. a decades worth of plot and character development negated. Simply so Snake-Eyes can have an enemy to fight.

He swears up and down he's a fan of 3 3/4". This is the same man who damn near spooged himself in TOYFARE gushing over how WONDERFUL Destro's first JvC headsculpt was and that the t-crotchs were the greatest thing to happen to Joe due to the level of sculpting they enabled. But when I look at Ambush from the desert pack and Clutch & Steelers jackets painted up to look like belts, I feel I have sufficient grounds for reasonable doubt about his resolve towards thew 3 3/4" division.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo, you know some fans that like both 12" and 3 3/4" brands--and he's one of them. Why does it have to be either/or when it comes to this stuff?? He likes BOTH--why is that answer never good enough???

If you want proof of good: try the various re-issues, try the aircraft, try the humvee, and the ice sabre and Sting Raider--sounds like there's been LOTS of good.

Sure there's stinkers--there ALWAYS has been. Road Toad and Buzz Boar anyone? GIJOE Extreme? SuperJoe???

Hell, even some of Derryl's favourite stuff--the Adventure Team, was notorious for being cheaply molded, and had enormous re-use. Its TRADITION with GIJOE.

And dont forget he works as part of a group--he was head of MARKETING, not design, not the other stuff. The buck didn't stop with him. He's subject to budgets, design limitations and political restraints.......like any creative enterprise is.

I just cannot fathom the animosity that people direct towards the guy.........I guess it true about not pleasing people at ANY time.

Seriously has it ALL been awful??

We no the answer is no.

The original RAH line had its stinkers too.

I just can NEVER understand this drivel about the brand manager having to BE a 3 3/4" collector--it makes zero sense.

The original brand managers were not 3 3/4" collectors--they came from the original 12" lines and other kinds of toys.

If they could do it right then--with that background--then how could a collecting background mean anything different now??

How can collecting loyalties make ANY difference? because HE's in charge, and not one of "us"?? That's absurd.

I mean, I collect BOTH 12" and 3 3/4" lines--does that mean I'm LESS of a fan of either, or both, because I enjoy both??

I just don't get this.

One has to wonder why, in all this pettiness, no-one's stooped to making a print-out dart board or something like that.

I agree with some of Doc's points about DDP being a corporate person. Sure he is a collector and has brought some good stuff out of the line. I know that some of the paint aps (then others ;)) did not look that great and were applied "sloppy". The line is doing great IMO but is it doing good because of kids and parents buying the toys or is is doing good because of the collector community supports it? I know that we did not like (and nor did I) AA and T crotch, but did it sell well? Are the paint aps too good for kids now? I am not sure, but that is my two cents on the line and where it is. I am a very happy collector right now and wish DDP all the best as he takes on the SW line. I think it is going to be a huge success next year and I just hope that gi joe does not get pushed to the side because of the SW line and the new movie. I have faith that Billy and Dwight along with the rest of the HASBRO GI JOE team will make sure that they do everything they can to keep it alive and strong. Now only if we could get some re assurance that a toon is coming out?

Sooooooooooooooooooooo, you know some fans that like both 12" and 3 3/4" brands--and he's one of them.  Why does it have to be either/or when it comes to this stuff?? He likes BOTH--why is that answer never good enough???

Because the facts speak otherwise. Look at the HISS IV or Sand Razor.

Anyone can CLAIM they love the line, but when the Viper gets screwed up not just once, not just twice, but FOUR times in a row, that does not speak well for your so-called LOVE of the line. If you truly love and take pride in a property you do a better job. Its that simple. He may even LIKE 3 3/4", but the fact remains its getting treated with much less respect than the 12" line is.

If you want proof of good: try the various re-issues, try the aircraft, try the humvee, and the ice sabre and Sting Raider--sounds like there's been LOTS of good.

Theres been SOME good and Ive acknowledged them. Some of the weapons are decent and Ive even acknowledged costume designs to be decent. But they still arent up to the interchangeability standards they themselves set.

Sure there's stinkers--there ALWAYS has been. Road Toad and Buzz Boar anyone? GIJOE Extreme? SuperJoe???

"But they did it too!!!" is a poor excuse for slacking off.

Hell, even some of Derryl's favourite stuff--the Adventure Team, was notorious for being cheaply molded, and had enormous re-use. Its TRADITION with GIJOE.

And if I cared about the Adventure Team I might veiw that as relevent. The 12" lines quality is still notably higher and treated with more dignity. Even the 12" line of JvC characters gets the short-end of the stick. Even more proof the 3 3/4" line isnt given as much respect as the 12"

And dont forget he works as part of a group--he was head of MARKETING, not design, not the other stuff. The buck didn't stop with him. He's subject to budgets, design limitations and political restraints.......like any creative enterprise is.

Then why does he make himself out like He's the most prolific person in the team? If other people are incharge then they ought to be getting a higher profile. But who do we see making all the statements? Depriest. If he doesnt want to be a target hs shouldnt go public and instead send out the REAL people you claim are behind the decisions to make the statements.

I just cannot fathom the animosity that people direct towards the guy.........I guess it true about not pleasing people at ANY time.

Oh you are SO droll. Some of us have this weird little fondness for quality. We're funny that way.

Ive been on record giving credit where I felt it was due. Im very eager to get the Defense Mech and OCS

But that doesnt mean I have to blind myself to very real quality control issues just because it bears the JOE mark or someone says they love it. People who do that are sheep and fortunately most collectors arent and are rightfully demanding Hasbro live up to their own standards.

Seriously has it ALL been awful??

We no the answer is no.

The original  RAH line had its stinkers too.

Actually thats "We KNOW the answer is no." And it hasnt ALL been awful. But an undeniable amount is lacking in one manner or another.

I just can NEVER understand this drivel about the brand manager having to BE a 3 3/4" collector--it makes zero sense.

I never understood the drivel having to defend mediocrity. Just because others refuse to worship your hero doesnt make their sentiments drivel.

I mean, I collect BOTH 12" and 3 3/4" lines--does that mean I'm LESS of a fan of either, or both, because I enjoy both??

I just don't get this.

This isnt about you. Its about what is said, and what is done. I dont give a crap whether you like them both nor is your level of fanship of any concern to me.

You continually miss the entire point. The point is saying you love something carries as much weight as the quality of product. If I was given the task to paint a Joe figure and I just slather on one stroke of pea green paint on it, would my saying I love 3 3/4" magically make it better?

Not all buisnessmen are as pure as the driven snow as you seem to think Derryl is. Alright, Ill concede that its remotely possible your idol to care. But its also just as probable for someone to just make a claim just to try to assuage the fan bases. Of COURSE a rep is going to say he loves his product. Do you honestly think such reps would last a day if they didnt tow the corporate line? Words are nothing. Actions and results are what matters.

One has to wonder why, in all this pettiness, no-one's stooped to making a print-out dart board or something like that.

Because that would be psychotic. I already mentioned I wish no harm on the man. I simply dont beleive his sincerity. Thats a major, MAJOR difference. Some guy here was asking for scenarios to stage death scenes for Sideswipe. A new death every day. All because he was named after a Hasbro exec. Now THAT is genuine psychosis. And its inexcusable. I will NEVER under any circumstances wish harm on another human being just because I dont like their descisions over toys. I dont even wish them to lose their jobs either. I wish 3D a long properous carreer on the SW line, especially if it keeps him away from GI Joe.

And giving a damn about a beloved toyline and wanting it to be the best it can be for kids AND collectors is not pettiness. Sure beats constantly making excuses for people.

*eats popcorn

sooooo guys remember that nice thread awhile back? were we kinda got off topic about pudding? and how there was no yelling and it was nice?

*continues to eat popcorn

(i'm kidding guys but don't get to heated this thread makes me paranoid heading into one of those OH NO! it's canceled type panic discussions)

Lets not forget how he took one of the greatest subplots in Joe history, Stormshadows story of revenge, deception and redemption by joining the heroes and flushed it down the crapper by turning him into a villain again for no apparent reason. a decades worth of plot and character development negated. Simply so Snake-Eyes can have an enemy to fight.

Well, the Storm-Shadow-fans sure love it. If ya' made a poll asking if SS made a better good guy or bad guy, it probably be a waste of time because every already knows what the result will be.

Like SS is the only one skilled enough in the entire world to fight SE....

IF he (Billy Langor) is who I think he is, the line should be in good hands. I talked with a lot of the Hasbro team at the Joe Con and I got a good vibe about the future of the line.

Sure, they're trying to branch into new areas and try new concepts, etc with the figures but Hasbro seemed to maintain their level of commitment to our favorite Real American Hero!