A Thread In Praise Of Mattel......

Thunder

I think it's time that someone defend Mattel as a company. Mattel got the license to the most recognized characters in comic book history, that is no small victory. They began with the comic-accurate Batman line and it took off. Mind you, case ratios were a little messed up, but it is a great product. The sculpts are fantastic, the villains are top notch.

Now everyone wants to crucify Mattel for not supporting their fans. The people that should be punished are the scalpers. I've seen these #!@%heads rip toys out of kids hands. One jerk stalked my wife through the store to get the BattleBoard Robin she got for me. These people are the ones that picked all the choice figures off the shelf. They are the ones to blame. They cleaned out the good stuff and left the endless supply of multiple packed figures on the shelves. The retailers, in turn, decided that the product didn't sell and stopped ordering them. Thank the scalpers.

Mattel reached out to the fans via their Trivia Contest. The turnout was abyssmal. Only the true fans showed, and we were rewarded. Mattel changed case ratios and gave us a better chance to get the figures we missed via the 2 packs. The product they will get out via Diamond Distributors will be top notch. I will support the line as long as it continues in any form.

That's my 2 cents #US1#

Well, overall my view of Mattel is pretty negative, and all of it has to do with the case ratios, but in praise of them, Mattel has managed to deliver some really nice looking sculpts, and other than the previous criticism, I'm pleased with the Justice League line. I also wish they would have continued the BTAS line. Their sculpts were great.

What do you mean with "case ratios were a little messed up? Just a "little" according to you? What planet are you living in? Lets suppose that there is no internet, everybody's collection would have several gaps in. @firedevil@ Thanks to Toybiz and Mattel, yeah, I agree with you, Mattel doesnt have to take all the responsability of this facts, Toybiz is worst than them.

i definitely would not exonerate Mattel from anything. I agree we have gotten some great sculpts. We are now seeing case ratios change...as I have seen 10" Wonder Woman figs in mass amounts around here and even the Silver Storm hawkgirl....but never-the-less their marketing still sucks...they have destoryed both He-Man and the regular Batman line and shifted them to international markets almost exclusively. To me that is not a company I want to spend my money with.

You cannot depend on them to support the line. They screwed up He-Man and Batman with too many He-Man and Skelly and Batman variants and then said their product wasn't selling....well what do you expect. The scalpers wouldn't be an issue if they actually had good case rations in the first place. You don't see TMNT getting scalped on EBAY....because there is a wide variety. This is always a bad subject because just when you think Mattel gets it....they don't.

Now the new "The Batman" line seems to be abundantly available and I actually like the figures and the vehicles. So I am torn, but I would never blame it on the scalpers. If there wasn't a demand created by Mattel, they wouldn't exist. Mattel items are the only thing I have had to buy on Ebay from sclapers..I don't seem to have problems finding any other brands toys.....

I think it's time that someone defend Mattel as a company. Mattel got the license to the most recognized characters in comic book history, that is no small victory. They began with the comic-accurate Batman line and it took off. Mind you, case ratios were a little messed up, but it is a great product. The sculpts are fantastic, the villains are top notch.

Now everyone wants to crucify Mattel for not supporting their fans. The people that should be punished are the scalpers. I've seen these #!@%heads rip toys out of kids hands. One jerk stalked my wife through the store to get the BattleBoard Robin she got for me. These people are the ones that picked all the choice figures off the shelf. They are the ones to blame. They cleaned out the good stuff and left the endless supply of multiple packed figures on the shelves. The retailers, in turn, decided that the product didn't sell and stopped ordering them. Thank the scalpers.

Mattel reached out to the fans via their Trivia Contest. The turnout was abyssmal. Only the true fans showed, and we were rewarded. Mattel changed case ratios and gave us a better chance to get the figures we missed via the 2 packs. The product they will get out via Diamond Distributors will be top notch. I will support the line as long as it continues in any form.

That's my 2 cents #US1#

Ripping it out of kids hands? Damn, their evil. Though I'm not that much of a kid, I woulda kicked his ass if he did that to me.

I'd like to praise Mattel for their JLU line. It looks fantastic, and it looks like many new figs will be shipped (Though I'm doubting the Atom will be easy to find).

Mattel does not impress me one bit. I loved the MotU line, and the JL line is great (when they stick to basics), as well, but it's a real pain in the butt trying to find anything. They just seem to ignore collectors completely.

ML may not have the best case ratios, but it's not nearly as bad as this, and you can't deny that they keep collectors in mind, as does Hasbro with SW and TFs (and to a lesser extent, GI Joe, which they could do better with).

honestly, I don't think they deserve the lines they got.

give them to mezco or art asylum. the would do a better job. hell, give them to mcfarlane.

Except make them 6" figures. I was REALLY jazzed about Mezco's line of Gangsters...I was hoping for some great guys that Batman could take on...Except we got 10" figures...I was so disgusted at them for doing that. I have seen the new stuff McFarlane has been doing with his Spawn line...How cool would Batman look in some of those poses!

Any other company would do 10 times better than them.

This statement is undefendable. But I will defend Mattel.

Drop by Raving Toy Maniac and go to their forum. A Mattel rep has been there answering questions about the lines and asking feedback on things such as case ratios.

The JLU line is in great shape. Lots of good stuff to come, some of which he has leaked [sinestro anyone?].

The focus of Mattel over the next year will be The Batman, Batman Begins (the movie), and JLU. Not a bad time to be a DC fan. For those lamenting the "ending" of the comic Batman line, the major retailers = Walmart, Target, etc are asking for this mix of product. Blame them for no more comic accurate Batman.

I am a DC fan. There was a drought in the 90s when all we could get was Batman. The future of collecting DC stuff is bright. And a LOT of that credit goes to Mattel.

Well, the scalpers wouldn't BE as bad if case ratios and distribution didn't suck. 8,000,0000,0000,000 He-Mans and Skeletors (or Batman) to every 1 of any OTHER figure, what do they expect?

No truer words have been spoken.

Should we blame the scalpers.....yes, but Mattel's policies when it comes to this line and others is like sending up a smoke signal to Scalpers. Mattel created the scalper intreist in this line by packing the cases with 5 batmans and 1 joker.

It would be like covering a puppy in blood, throwing it into a shark tank and then telling us we should be mad at the Sharks for eating it....while telling the person that covered it in blood and threw it in what a good thing they just did.

They are doing fantastic things with The Batman line, and the JL line seems to be getting better and better.

I think they've finally seen their mistakes.