I Thnk I Might Be Leaving Gi Joe, Yet Again!!!

Lady Jaye

Actually, I extend it up through 1991. Figures like Bullhorn, Low-light version 3 (version 2 being Slaughter's Marauders), the Night Force figures, Muskrat and Repeater, among others. Many of those figures are just as "classic"as the 82-86 figures. Repeater, for example has a distinct military feel. H.E.A.T.-Viper has a really cool set up that you can imagine only Cobra could create (at least back in the 80s). The much vaunted Night Viper came out in 89.

Some of them, yes. I actuall had Muskrat and Repeater. But even then, things were starting to get out of hand.

Yeah there are some nice figs 88-90 imo. And LJ just hang in there I think you will be happy with the designs in the next few years as a lot should look more classicly.

I agree... some of the upcoming stuff does look pretty good.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dudes what are ou guys doing so late at night?? Me I'm just trying to readjust my clock!!! But you guys are here every night it seems like!!!

@loll@

Thanks Draven, I'll try to stick around. I really do like that Torch and Bazooka!!! @smilepunch@

Dudes what are ou guys doing so late at night?? Me I'm just trying to readjust my clock!!! But you guys are here every night it seems like!!!

I can't get to sleep. You know, the whole Sunday night thing. So I thought I'd turn the computer back on and see what's going on.

It's only 12:42 here, though. Not too bad.

I think the main reason I use those years, is becuase that was before the whole everyone is a ninja, and has a vnedetta against Snake Eyes!!! Oh and it was during those years the comic was at it's best, and the cartoon was on the air. It was just a great time to be a GI JOE fan!!!

Remember another toy juggernaut was showing it's face in 88 and onward!!! TMNT!!!! They had the cartoon, comic, and even the movies, with Vanilla Ice no less!!!!

@loll@

@loll@

Thanks Draven, I'll try to stick around. I really do like that Torch and Bazooka!!! @smilepunch@

Surfin' the net is entertaining for only so long.

And I'm not tired. :unsure:

Remember another toy juggernaut was showing it's face in 88 and onward!!! TMNT!!!! They had the cartoon, comic, and even the movies, with Vanilla Ice no less!!!!

Yeah, and look at the toyline and TV show they have now. It's got all the elements that make TMNT great, and IMPROVED on them. Oh yeah, and they kept the original designs intact.

Hasbro should take notes...

Yeah, and look at the toyline and TV show they have now. It's got all the elements that make TMNT great, and IMPROVED on them. Oh yeah, and they kept the original designs intact.

Agreed!!! Hasbro should take notes.

Masters of the Universe fans had a good couple of years, too. Too bad they cancelled the line.

I think they only big '80s toyline that had it worse in the retro craze than GI Joe was Thundercats. At least we had the RAH Collection (as questionable as it was) and some other throwbacks. Thundercats got squat.

To me, BinalTech/Alternators is to Transformers as JvC is to GI Joe. Same characters with new bodies, just done right. I think Binal Tech has been handled pretty well so far. Also, consider things like Masterpiece Optimus Prime... !!!

I have to disagree with you there. I don't think the Joe Vs. Cobra figures are the characters "done right" at all. I don't mean that as a slander to the line - I would equate that with TF Armada or Energon - basically the same characters, but done quite differently and for a new generation.

You misunderstand, I'm saying Binal Tech is TF "done right". I hardly consider anything JvC right.

I don't know everything there is to know about TF, but I don't consider Armada and Energon good successors to TF. Maybe Energon a little, but I like the direction BT took better. It felt more G1-like.

Agreed!!! Hasbro should take notes.

I hated the ninja turtles, and still do hate them. Their "cowabunga dude" personality always annoyed the hell out of me.

Anyway, just because you're unhappy now doesn't mean you should get rid of your stuff. Nothing else sucks more than having to buy everything you had again just because you didn't think things through. I did that once with another toy line, and regret was very expensive for me.

I am not too much of a fan of the new comics but they could be worst I suppose. My biggest complaint is the generic artwork.

i don't buy any of the reissue stuff anymore not the six packs or the comic packs i like the new stuff (i like most of it anyways) and that is what i focus on. i have never cared about the comic or the cartoon as far as a story line is concerned. i watch the cartoon but for me that is a completly different world. i say bring on the new characters and the new molds (though i wouldn't mind if they made new mold of all the old figures like 3v versions of the arah stuff) how many kids would care or even know that wave 11 of 3v is made completly of molds that have been redone from toys that were made b4 they were born.

i think gi joe has to evolve to stay fresh ie new characters and stuff

this is just me and i am not telling anyone else how to run their collections or their lives.

I hated the ninja turtles, and still do hate them. Their "cowabunga dude" personality always annoyed the hell out of me.

Anyway, just because you're unhappy now doesn't mean you should get rid of your stuff. Nothing else sucks more than having to buy everything you had again just because you didn't think things through. I did that once with another toy line, and regret was very expensive for me.

I am not too much of a fan of the new comics but they could be worst I suppose. My biggest complaint is the generic artwork.

Well, regardless of whether you like them or not, the truth is they seem to be making a pretty successful comeback using the same principles that we're talking about here.

But yeah, I wouldn't get rid of your stuff - just store it away somewhere. You may regret it later if you sell it off.

i don't buy any of the reissue stuff anymore not the six packs or the comic packs i like the new stuff (i like most of it anyways) and that is what i focus on. i have never cared about the comic or the cartoon as far as a story line is concerned. i watch the cartoon but for me that is a completly different world. i say bring on the new characters and the new molds (though i wouldn't mind if they made new mold of all the old figures like 3v versions of the arah stuff) how many kids would care or even know that wave 11 of 3v is made completly of molds that have been redone from toys that were made b4 they were born.

i think gi joe has to evolve to stay fresh ie new characters and stuff

this is just me and i am not telling anyone else how to run their collections or their lives.

Fine - that's what they're doing now, so you should be happy.

We're just thinking of ways in which Hasbro could diversify the GI Joe line to make it even better.

Sorry to see you go again LJ. I remember your last send off at devilsdue I think. Anyway I think you are just trying to hold onto your childhood to hard. Just because the figure doesn't look the same its the same character. As long as you think they look cool it shouldn't matter if they look different. I think a lot of the new figures are better designed than any RAH version, Scarlett just being one example.

Best of luck with ML, the worst line to track down going. It saps a lot of fun out of it.

Draven

I agree, it is good to hold on to your childhood but it is also good to keep the momentum going, if you do not like the new comic- dont pick it up then, same goes for anything else that is coming out that you do not like (compared to RAH). I agree with Draven that a lof of the sculpts that HASBRO has been coming out with are better that RAH. I like some of the re -issues and some I do not. The ones that I do not like I get one of and the ones that I do like I get a few more. This is a great hobby to have and you should collect what you want and not base it on a comic book that you do not like because of the story line etc. It is your Joe Universe, you are in control ;).

Actually, they got rid of (or at least downplayed) the comedic aspects of the old cartoon. The new ones seems a bit darker/grittier than the 80s version.

Yeah, I think they must realize that there are older fans as well as younger. I think that toy companies are realizing that they can benefit more from appealing to collectors as well as kids, which is why I'd like to see GI Joe lose the bright colours and dorky vehicles and get back to basics.

I think that HASBRO has done a good job in keep everyone pretty much happy, comic packs, re issues, VvsV and such. It is hard to please everyone.

See, I disagree. All you have to do is compare the GI Joe line with the Transformers line today and you can see that they're doing way more to keep TF collectors happy (and don't even get me started with Star Wars). With GI Joe, they're starting to do some things alright, but they're still doing a half-assed job of it. A lot of the reissues have crappy new paint jobs (and aren't available in Canada), and the VVV line, though it has potential (some of the upcoming figures look awesome) still has a way to go to. The comic packs are a GREAT step forward to bring back old collectors (like myself - that's what did it for me).

Like I said, they're ALMOST there, but not quite...

TF's popularity has alot to do with the fact that it has a cartoon for it.

If GI Joe had a toon for it, you'd likely see more diverse products for fans of all ages. Until that day happens, it'll be slow goings.

I was thinking of mentioning the cartoon, as well.

There's no reason why GI Joe can't have a cartoon. The way I understand it, that's as much Hasbro's fault as networks, etc. I mean, they own the characters, so they have to put in work developing a good storyline, etc.

I just get the impression that GI Joe is a distant third place after Star Wars and Transformers in Hasbro's list of priorities. (At least for guy-oriented "action" toys, anyway.)

@loll@

NP, just hang in there!

I took a semester of school off so I just stay up late now. I can't sleep much anyway right now.

Draven