I Thnk I Might Be Leaving Gi Joe, Yet Again!!!

Lady Jaye

Yup, I am probably going to sell of what lil figures I have. I think I need to focus on my studies for right now instead of the huge amount of figures and ships coming out. Besides I think I'm really wanting to recapture what was once, the cartoon, the comic, and the figures, what was once 1895-87. I can't, it's not the same. I guess if the figures and ships were based on the stuff from back then, and not updates, then I'd be keeping track with the line. But since they're not, I think what's best for now is to just stop and either sell off my stuff, or just keep it in my lil diorama I have going.

Anyhow, I'll still be around talking classic GI JOE, but for the most part you'll find me in the Marvel section. Since the Toy Biz figures are based on the characters I have known for over 20 years now, and they are based on the classic designs!!!!

Anyhow just wanted to let you guys know, since you see me over there more often than not. Oh and I have becomd a moderator at rebelscum, so I'll be there too!!!

Until Doc, Quick Kick, and the rest come back, make mine Marvel!!!!

Yo Joe

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really too bad to hear... Maybe if the comic packs start really getting into gear you'll change your mind.

I agree with you for the most part. I don't really want "updated" figures in the sense that they change the design. I want better sculpted versions of the same guys. Hopefully Hasbro will come around.

Yea looking at these old issues I got of GI JOE for only 24 cents, makes me realize is that I don't want the new continuity I want the old one back. You know what I mean. I hate this Duke being a traitor CIA agent. I hate that Doc and many others are dead. I hate Firefly/Zartan are ninjas??? I hate all that. I want it to be like it was back in 85-87, when everyone had thier place in the Joe Mythos. And there were only 2 ninjas, Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes!!! Anyhow hopefully this shop will have some more cheap issues, I'll but those. Not going to wast 3 bucks on a comic and story I don't like, and waste money on figures based on characters that I didn't grow up with.

Guess it's just time to move on.

That's really too bad to hear... Maybe if the comic packs start really getting into gear you'll change your mind.

I agree with you for the most part. I don't really want "updated" figures in the sense that they change the design. I want better sculpted versions of the same guys. Hopefully Hasbro will come around.

But RAH has being doing "updated" figures since 1986. Does Stalker version 2 resemble verison 1 or 3? Do any of the later Dukes resemble the first one or each other? Look at H.E.A.T. Viper.

Which version would you suggest they get the new sculpts to resemble?

Yea looking at these old issues I got of GI JOE for only 24 cents, makes me realize is that I don't want the new continuity I want the old one back. You know what I mean. I hate this Duke being a traitor CIA agent. I hate that Doc and many others are dead. I hate Firefly/Zartan are ninjas??? I hate all that. I want it to be like it was back in 85-87, when everyone had thier place in the Joe Mythos. And there were only 2 ninjas, Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes!!! Anyhow hopefully this shop will have some more cheap issues, I'll but those. Not going to wast 3 bucks on a comic and story I don't like, and waste money on figures based on characters that I didn't grow up with.

Guess it's just time to move on.

Seriously though, how many people ACTUALLY follow the comics in connection to the toyline?

Doc, Quick Kick and the others AREN'T dead in my world. Snake Eyes ISN'T a true ninja in my world.

And what about the NEW characters, like Barrel Roll or Burnout? They don't rate at all because they weren't part of RAH mythology?

Gotta remember that the new line is geared towards a new consumer, TODAY'S kids, as is the comic. The fact that either can appeal to us older fans shows that Hasbro isn't totally wrong.

stop in and visit when you can LJ...I have seen you a few times over at the marvel area as well, so maybe we'll bump into each other there. if that can be done on message boards, that is

But RAH has being doing "updated" figures since 1986. Does Stalker version 2 resemble verison 1 or 3? Do any of the later Dukes resemble the first one or each other? Look at H.E.A.T. Viper.

Which version would you suggest they get the new sculpts to resemble?

Yeah, I know. Some of the updates were cool, like Hawk and Roadblock. After that they just started getting weird.

I just think it's just time that they get back into the retro looks, which they ARE doing with the comic packs. That's what I want to see more of. Basically, I want to see the comic packs do a version of all the Joes and Cobras from '82-'86 or so.

This thread reminds me of my Grandma, Shes subscribed to that stupid Reminisce magazine @loll@

Seriously though, cant you just get over the fact that times change? You'd probably feel a whole lot better if you stopped worrying about keeping stuff the way it was. Collecting Marvel Legends because they look like they 'used' to, Not collecting the new Gi Joes because they dont look like they 'used' to, cmon! Just get over it......

Sorry if i sounded kinda of mean there, im just trying to get a point across....

This thread reminds me of my Grandma, Shes subscribed to that stupid Reminisce magazine 

Seriously though, cant you just get over the fact that times change? You'd probably feel a whole lot better if you stopped worrying about keeping stuff the way it was. Collecting Marvel Legends because they look like they 'used' to, Not collecting the new Gi Joes because they dont look like they 'used' to, cmon! Just get over it......

Sorry if i sounded kinda of mean there, im just trying to get a point across....

Dude, that doesn't mean she wants to BUY it.

Look, I want updated versions of the stuff I grew up with, so I can relate. Heck, that's the whole reason I buy toys. Yeah, things change - does that mean you're going to start collecting Yu-Gi-Oh or Power Rangers?

I have no interest in stuff I didn't have or want as a kid when it comes to toys, and I don't have to "get over" anything. You have fun with your Yu-Gi-Oh figures... Retro's the way to go.

that's what your imagination is for, who cares about the comic's universe, it's all about yours, and for the most part, it's been quite a bit of this i need to quit collecting talk lately, all you people who wanna quit, give your i don't need this anymore, the new sculps suck, this comic is killing me, i can't live like this anymore toys, just give them away, obviously people want a reaction, or something, just sell your toys, and stop making a big deal out of it, all of you

I started collecting the TOYS without ever having read the first comic book or watched the first cartoon.

I grew up playing with the 12" G.I.Joes in the late 60's and early 70's, so my childhood imagination was already developed and still intact as to what I loved about G.I.JOE! :)

I always thought the cartoons and comic books were just trying to capitalize on the G.I.Joe legend and it's popularity with young boys who fantasize about being military type heros. I know there's more to it than just that, but nevertheless....I never gave notice to the comic books at all, and only caught but a few of the cartoons out of curiosity.

The TOYS were always the only thing I was interested in, so continuity of some storyline doesn't mean a thing to me. None of my favorite characters, as I decided on my own which ones were in fact "favorite", are still ALIVE and KICKIN'......even ol' QUICK QUICK and one of my all time favorite looking figures HEAVY METAL! ^_^

that's what your imagination is for, who cares about the comic's universe, it's all about yours, and for the most part, it's been quite a bit of this i need to quit collecting talk lately, all you people who wanna quit, give your i don't need this anymore, the new sculps suck, this comic is killing me, i can't live like this anymore toys, just give them away, obviously people want a reaction, or something, just sell your toys, and stop making a big deal out of it, all of you

Isn't that what a forum's for?

I don't understand people who just say "why talk about it?" or "why complain?" If that were the case we wouldn't have forums.

there's a bridge near by you somewhere use it

Yeah, like that adds anything to the conversation.

there's a bridge near by you somewhere use it

And exactly WHAT was necessary in that kind of a crap comment? <_<

Lets not get the merry-go-round of "whiners complaining about whiners who complain about toys" spinning us into a fit of nausea again.

Anyhow, I'll still be around talking classic GI JOE, but for the most part you'll find me in the Marvel section. Since the Toy Biz figures are based on the characters I have known for over 20 years now, and they are based on the classic designs!!!!

By the way, I wish you all the luck with Marvel Legends... the way people complain about case ratio and scalpers and ebay prices. Well, I hope you don't get TOO frustrated!

This isn't JUST about the comics anyway. The cartoon made just as much an impact on thecharacters as the comic, perhaps more so.

Look how many people complained about the voices in Spytroops and, to a lesser extent, Valor vs Venom.

I remember playing with my Joes in the 80s and trying to imitate the voice of Cobra Commander or Destro or whomever from the cartoon.

By the way, I wish you all the luck with Marvel Legends... the way people complain about case ratio and scalpers and ebay prices. Well, I hope you don't get TOO frustrated!

I was wondering...

(this is directed towards LJ)

With the world of Marvel, wouldn't there be an eventual LIMIT to what needs to be collected?

Once you have each and every character of the past "20 years" and you have them in their "classic design", wouldn't the collection be complete and done with?

If unknown or new characters are not of interest to you, and anything out of the original "classic design" of them, is not desired as well, wouldn't it be a quick collecting experience, soon to be fulfilled and dropped?

I hate it when people do "good-bye threads". "Hey every one look at me... I need attention." Get over yourself.

Actually.....we're ALL guilty of THAT aren't we? @lol@

I know my posts better damn well get some attention, otherwise I might as well go back to talking to myself, since the wife sure as hell doesn't give a crap about my G.I.Joe obsession. @lol@

Actually.....we're ALL guilty of THAT aren't we?

I know my posts better damn well get some attention, otherwise I might as well go back to talking to myself, since the wife sure as hell doesn't give a crap about my G.I.Joe obsession. 

Yeah, I mean, so what?

This is a freakin' action figure forum anyway... Like anything that's REALLY important is posted here.

Once you have each and every character of the past "20 years" and you have them in their "classic design", wouldn't the collection be complete and done with?

Better to keep collections relatively small and simple. Like me with the TFs... I really only want the classic ones from '84-'86. Even if I only collect reissues and Alternators, this still isn't "quick". Plus they have "updated" homages in other lines, and mini-sized G1 TFs as well... There's still a whole lot to get.

GI Joe, well... there really isn't. I'd like to see GI Joe become as popular as TFs right now, so we could get to that point, but it just isn't there. They aren't giving what every collector wants right now, and they're going to lose business because of it.

Better to keep collections relatively small and simple. Like me with the TFs... I really only want the classic ones from '84-'86. Even if I only collect reissues and Alternators, this still isn't "quick". Plus they have "updated" homages in other lines, and mini-sized G1 TFs as well... There's still a whole lot to get.

GI Joe, well... there really isn't. I'd like to see GI Joe become as popular as TFs right now, so we could get to that point, but it just isn't there. They aren't giving what every collector wants right now, and they're going to lose business because of it.

And what is it every collector wants?

Remember, you can please some of them some of the time but you can't please all of them all of the time.

And what is it every collector wants?

Remember, you can please some of them some of the time but you can't please all of them all of the time.

What I meant by "every collector" wasn't in the collective sense. I didn't mean "every collector wants this or that".

What I meant was that they aren't appealing to every KIND of collector. There are the hard core buy-anything GI Joe guys, and there are the more selective ones. There are those who army-build, and there are those who just want one of every figure. There are those who don't care about vehicles, etc...

But more specifically, you have guys who are into the old 12-inch Joes, and you have ones who are into 3 3/4" Joes. And out of those, you have a increasingly large number who are not hard-core collectors, but who remember the stuff they grew up with and want them back, like me and, I suspect, LJ. This group is at an age now where they're making money, but Hasbro doesn't seem to get that. Now look at TFs - they have a number of lines that appeal to different sorts of collectors, and one that is the most prevalent one is the "retro" side of things. Energon has homages. Alternators are what I would call the equivalent of "Marvel Legends style" '80s Joes, that that one guy is doing customs with. And then you have the straight-up reissues.