Facial Hair

redrum2581

ok, now the joe's are suppose to be part of the military, and the military has strict guide lines to facial hair and the hair on top of your head, but except for Duke and Flint, all of them break those codes, are they allowed to because they a special force or nobody ever thought about it?

Well I feel that the Joes aren't subject to normal military guidelines. They don't have regulation uniforms, so facial hair isn't regulated either. If you look in one of the early DD run comics, Rock N Roll is clean shavin' until he gets the call to join back up. He then says that he can finally grow back his beard. That probably doesn't answer your question.

Rhyno, I think you're selling Hasbro a bit short here. When the Real American Hero concept was launched in 1982, it was backed by some real love at Hasbro, with guys like Kirk Bozigan and Bob Prupis and Mr. Hassenfeld himself. With big pushes of inspiration from Archie Goodwin and Larry Hama over at Marvel, there was a *lot* of care put into the 1982 line, which was maintained until 1985, at least, before corporate mandates and sales-driven decision making gave birth to compromise, and the line drifted from it's core concept.

I beleive that the desire to have a bearded head in the 1982 line was attributable both to desiring distinct visual looks, an homage to the 70's version of Joe, which was still the most recent "Joe look" at the time, and a real understanding that this was a "mobile strike force" set in a fantasy atmosphere, but with a definite real-world basis, thus the characters would need to operate like special forces, with a relaxed dress and presentation code.

That would become more than obvious in 1983, when the Joes shifted from a traditionally uniformed group of soldiers to a more relaxed, custom-suited dress code, with guys like Gung-Ho sporting a vest with no shirt.

Hasbro toady can be said to be ruled by bureaucrats and lawyers, but not only was 1982 a more civilized age in toy manufacturing, it was a time when making a toy was an act of love, and actual care was taken to make it the best it could possibly be.

Well I feel that the Joes are subject to normal military guidelines. They don't have regulation uniforms, so facial hair isn't regulated either. If you look in one of the early DD run comics, Rock N Roll is clean shavin' until he gets the call to join back up. He then says that he can finally grow back his beard. That probably doesn't answer your question.

That's it exactly. Look into Delta Force, for example. You'll find that they don't follow military regulation on dress or facial hair.

In Canada, we also have certain regiments that allow beards, etc. It all depends on the traditions involved, that sort of thing. You can also have a beard in the navy.

THATS RIGHT---------I HAVE A BUDDY WHO HAS BEEN DELTA FORCE

FOR ABOUT 7 YEARS NOW---------

WHEN HE WAS "NORAML ACTIVE DUTY ARMY "---HE WAS THE MOST CLEAN SHAVE HIGH AND TIGHT WEAR'N FOOL------NOW HE LOOKS LIKE A BUM----

THE REASON BEING--------LOOK AT THE TYPICAL "SOLIDER"---HIGH AND TIGHT ----NO FACIAL HAIR ------IF YOU PUT THEM ON A NORMAL BUSY CITY STREET---THEY WILL ALMOST STICK OUT-------

HAVING THEM BLEND IN WITH THEIR ENVORMENTIF YOU WILL IS BEETER CAMOFLAGE THAN ANYTHING!!!!!!!

DOC

The way goatees have been spreading like a bad case of pubic lice, youd think those had become regulation.

You never know - it actually could happen. Military regulations just reflect what is 'normal and proper' in civilian life, when it comes to facial hair. I mean, look at all the guys right up to WWI. Crazy facial hair styles... and there WERE regulations back then, too. That's just how you had to have it.

I think it was only in the late 70's or early 80's that the US Navy banned big sideburns!

whats wrong with facial hair, absolutely nothing, i love it, that's why i didn't join the military, you can't have long hair or a beard, and that ain't me

I don't mind. What, do I want to look like Jesus? (Or Peter Jackson, for that matter...)

I like the clean cut look!