Is Everyone Ready For Black Friday 2004???

Lady Jaye

Yeah its that time of year again. BF is more pain than anything. Though I did meet my best friend/gf out shopping four years ago, so its not all bad. I'll stay home this year again though. lol Well maybe get some of those cheap Walmart DVD's like I did last year though.

Draven

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Black Friday won't be an issue for me. My wife never goes by herself, so I guess the family will just have to miss out this year. It's usually my duty to do the early morning battles. The only early morning battle I'll have this year is deciding wether or not I want to get out of my bunk.

Well, Black Friday won't be an issue for me. My wife never goes by herself, so I guess the family will just have to miss out this year. It's usually my duty to do the early morning battles. The only early morning battle I'll have this year is deciding wether or not I want to get out of my bunk.

And for that my friend you have my ultimate respect! :)

Draven

Call me crazy, but I am one of the few (very few) people who actually like shopping around the holiday season. Crowds don't bother me at all, it only adds the the feel of the season. Waiting in line for long periods of time, doesn't bother me in the least.

So, Black Friday....Let's Rock!

Screw Black Friday... It's not worth it to go drive to some store that usually takes 5 minutes to get to but since everyone and their Momma are out... It takes 30 minutes...

Not to mention it takes another 30 minutes to find a parking space and another 30 minutes to walk to the store... Once inside the store, it has nothing you are looking for so you wasted that time... If you are lucky that you do find something then you stand in line for another hour cause morons in line the whole time couldn't decide on using cash, check or credit card until they get to the damn register...

Then you spend time ringing crap up and spending all that time trying to get back to your car and driving home with idiots who can't drive or shouldn't be driving...

Trust me people... It's called Black Friday cause all the time you spend and your blood pressure keeps rising... It's going to be either black outside cause the sun went down or your six feet under in a grave from having a heart attack cause you got behind some dumb ass who has to walk 2 mphs and stops in the middle of the aisle to look at some dumb crap...

Stay home and let the idiots deal with whatever is left in the stores and don't waste your time just to save a buck on GI Joes...

Well, I guess I am lucky in the fact that I have a Wal-Mart within walking distance of my house. So I don't have to bother with fighting traffic and finding a parking place.

yeah, it's not so much traffic as it is the parking lot becoming a zoo. i really don't mind the crowds myself, nor the lines. i don't go through the trouble just for a thing or two anyway, i really take advantage of the insane deals on so many things.

Well, Black Friday won't be an issue for me.  My wife never goes by herself, so I guess the family will just have to miss out this year.  It's usually my duty to do the early morning battles.  The only early morning battle I'll have this year is deciding wether or not I want to get out of my bunk.

And for that my friend you have my ultimate respect! :)

Draven

#US1# As do mine!!! #US1# Respect for all the men and woment serving our country #US1#

I want to hit up the TRU in Times Square!!!!! That will be a blast, gonna take my camera for sure!!!!

My experience with that TRU in the city is that it always gets stuff pretty late. You'd most likely be better off outside of the city.

I am with Outsiders on this one.I have to work on Black Friday.With some of our stores(except for a few Walmarts)have gotten in a ton of stuff.At TRU,I have seen a ton of ESB and ROTJ VOTC's at one time.Tons of the OTC Sanner crew figures.I know this is not related to G.I. Joe it is a good example.So,I am not to worried about KB is another story

This year is my first year working retail for Black Friday. Hell, my main boss has to come back to work that night after his honeymoon. Oh the horror stories the bosses tell us...

I get the joy of restocking the electronic department that night(I'm just assuming I'll be their since I don't know that far in advance...). Hopefully only half of the DVDs are misplaced. =/

I ran to Walmart early Black Friday (3 am, it was a 24/7 store), and it was as busy as it would have been at 8 in the evening. I was looking for the RID Build Team that year (couldn't get it until 6 am, didn't wait for that).

I know of the horror stories, and I have no desire to brave that kind of hell just to SEE if the stores restocked. I'll probably wait a week before checking, had great luck with that last year.

I've been going to Black Fridays for the last several years. Dont' waste your time, they are not going to restock anything. The stores close early the night before and I doubt that they overnight stockers are going to come in for just a few hours, since they open at midnight or 6am.

Also, they never run any sales on anything collector oriented, usually just Barbies or kiddie toys.

When you figure in the insane crowds and lines, it's just not worth it. I usually go shopping for clothes or electronics, they have much better deals on Black Friday.

PS: You might want to keep an eye on KB, they might run early bird specials, possibly on GI Joes, but I doubt it. I'm not sure what the KBs over on the mainland are like, but of all stores here (6 total), they don't have anything even remotely current. They dont' even stock VVV figures, just the Crimson Command Chopper. They still have Spytroops warming the pegs.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I hate this time of year. You have massive crowds of (often rude) people, Heavy traffic, unsupervised kids running amock everywhere you turn, and probably worst of all you have that ubiquitous, annoying Xmas music/cheesy decorations everywhere. I rate Xmas music just above rap on my "annoying/idiotic music I abhor" chart!

For these reasons, unless I absolutely need to be somewhere during the day, I stay home (and do my shopping late at night in 24 hr stores).

I should point out that my religion doesn't celebrate Christmas, so I didn't grow up with the "fond Xmas memories" that most of you probably did (Oddly enough though...several of my Christian friends find the season as annoying as I do!)

I like doing it. I love the crowds. I am going to go see if any peg warmers are on sale from other lines. I also collect SDW, that and sometimes TFs are the collectibles that are ripe for picking on Black friday.

wow lady jaye, make sure you share the pics with us of Times Square! Im sure that would be a blast.

but no Im not ready for black friday. I will have gotten paid that day, but my check is basically already spent on friggin bills. ugh!

oh well, i have picked up most of wave 5 (the ones I really wanted: a viper/tele viper pack and the nightcreeper/ninja trooper pack); i got the last Operation Crimson Sabotage earlier this week and I nabbed a Jungle Strike Humvee as well, so that should tide me over for a while.

Black Friday isn't anything to me, but a day of being lazy, hopefully at HOME and not still away at family from the day before, and watching tv and eating leftovers.

I don't do the shopping bit and I don't have to work! No fuss no muss!

WOO HOO! @bounce@

The reason why it is called "black friday" is because retailers that could be in the red (sales wise) could potentially go back into the black.

In short red = down in sales (losing money even), black = up in sales (making profit even).

Cool, though I was hoping there was some old evil legend behind it. Oh well! Thanks for the info.

Well, anyone that has ever worked in customer service at the time knows that "Black Friday" has a double meaning. What Tazzzman pointed out, that's the basic meaning. The other is that it REALLY sucks to work retail/customer service during that time. People get extra stupid during the Christmas season and customer service workers have to deal with them.