Question For The Those That Grew Up In The 80's

Lady Jaye

Cool thread! Let's see...when I was a kid, we didn't have a local Wal-Mart or Target (We STILL don't have a Target...), but we had K-Mart, Roses, Heck's (lol-seriously...), Tru Value, and Super-X. Oh man...I remember the j-hooks being just FULL of Joes, especially at Heck's. (It eventually became a Big Lots...) I specifically remember one Saturday I found out about the "new" '84 Joes, and when I went to Heck's, there were so many that some of them were on the bottom shelf and even spilling over in the floor. (!) Roses was a great place to get Joes and Transformers as well, along with the vintange Star Wars figures. If I were ever lucky enough to make it to Knoxville, I could go to Wal-Mart and/or Target, and if I were REALLY lucky I would get to go to TRU or Chidren's Palace. Oh, to have a time machine... *sigh* I also remember when the '89 Joes came out, my dad loaded us all up to go to Target. Now back then, Target was a long drive from where I lived, and we went there because one of my friends had called to tell me that's where he had found them. And my dad took me...just because. It wasn't my birthday, I didn't have any money, it wasn't because of any special occaission. Now I didn't get the whole wave, but Snake-Eyes was among them, and he was (is) my favorite. I wasn't a spoiled brat, but every now and then my dad would suprise me by buying me something I never expected or necessarily asked for. Cool memories...

Y'know, if Hasbro decided to make exact replicas of old Joes in vintage packaging, I'd be happy to pay ten bucks a pop like with those VOTC Star Wars figures. People keep giving the excuse of de-valuing the vintage stuff; well, that doesn't seem to stop Hasbro from making the TRU re-issue Transformers. That's one of my wildest dreams, for Hasbro to make exact replicas of old Joes and Cobras...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so thanks, lady jaye, for this awesome thread! :D

Hey no problem. Like I said before, as much as I like collectin GI JOE's, I love talking about the good ol days of collecting just as much, or possible even more!!!

You know things are different now, that how it was when we were growing up. Lines just don't have that something that our lines did. Sure they look nicer and such, but they just don't have the heart that the stuff we collected did. I guess it was just the right time to be alive, the greatest decade ever!!!

A toast to the 80's, the greatest decade ever!!!!! #party# @yum@ @drink@

Yeah, there's something missing with today's lines. They're all still there - TF, Joes, He-Man, Star Wars, etc - but they're done sort of half-a$$ed. Back in the day, there was a huge amount of media behind the toylines. You had series on TV, comics all over the place, and even movies. The fact that these lines have lasted so long proves they're still popular with kids as well as collectors, but there's just not as much to get them involved.

As for all the stores that have dried up, I guess you can blame that on Walmart and TRU. Monopolies suck... Just imagine how crappy it'd be if TRU lost its toy business?

Did anyone else have "Play World" stores? It was basically the exact same as TRU, but instead of Geoffery the Giraffe there was a Kangaroo mascot. The stores were huge. I remember buying some Atari 2600 games there lol.

I got lucky; my best friend's father owned a baseball/sports card shop, and he'd give 25-cent-a-Joe credit for any GI Joe figures brought in. He'd then resell the figures for a buck each, but only after My friend and I bought as many as we wanted for what he paid for them. This was back in the late 80's, and he got tons and tons of Joes in, so many that he often had to take the signs down (and this was after I was buying groups of 100-200 Joes). To this day, those figures represent about 1/2 my collection, and they are the reason why I have so many figures from 1982 to about 1989.

Canton had a Childrens Palace

I remember them! I bought my Defiant from that store. Their building used to look like a little castle with turrets on the corners.

Yup a toy dept in every store, and a comic book rack in every convenience store!!! Those truly sir, were the days!!!! Being a kid must suck now. Before you could go and get whatever you wanted because there was bound to be a store that carried toys or comics, now you have to go to the mall or one of those far off strip malls. Sigh I grew up at the right time!!!!

But most kids these days are totally different from the way we grew up. We had things like imaginations. We had morals. For the most part, we had parents that were interested in what we were doing, and not content to slap us in front of a TV or video game. Todays kids will never have such fond memories that we have all expressed here. There are always exceptions, but it's just how society changes. Us, as kids were less active than those generations before us because they didn't have TV or millions of different toys to keep us occupied indoors. The kids after us were less interested in toys, and those now are far far less interested. Just look at the toy stores of today compared to so long ago. They are a shell of their former self. It's just time and society. I just hope those of us that are parents take a big interest in our kids. We need to help along their interests so that years from now, they will be talking about their fond memories as a kid and not remembering how old they were when the latest Grand Theft Auto game came out.

#US1#

Most of the Joes I bought for myself came from K Mart. There is one about six blocks from where my parents live. I also remember going to Target, Sears, Best, Ben Franklin, Children's Palace and Wards to find Joes.

I used to get my joes at Sears, Woolworth, TG&Y, Dolgins, Best, Service Merchandise, Ventures, Toy City and my all time favorite that put Toy City out of business Children's Palace. Going into Children's palace with a full whole sectional row of joes, floor to ceiling, man I wish I had a picture of that, it was an awe inspiring site. They had so many buried on there even two years after a figure would go out of print you could still find one there, if you looked hard enough. Ah, just remembering all those 86 Vipers and I only bought two at the time....