The Real Reason Some G1 Names Can't Be Used.

Insane Galvatron

Besides, 'transformer' is a generic term in itself. I have several transformers in my home, in fact one of them is currently powering my house (transforming 380V into domestic 240V AC).

Also, what do you think those little boxes at the top of electricity poles are called? ;)

That is very interesting. Well, hopefully they just do the whole Autobot: (insert name here), because it does look a lot better than just giving him a new name.

I wonder what happened with Bluestreak, though...

Well, G1 Bluestreak was never actually blue in the first place (in the US), so it was kind of misnamed originally. Silverstreak makes more sense given his color scheme. And he never used foul language to justify that name either.

But then again, you say loads of weird stuff so I'd expect that. So is Scotch a more prominent brand than Sellotape over there?

I've never even heard of sellotape. But everyone I know refers to clear tape as Scotch tape (a trademark of 3M !)

Two other "brand names" that are commonplace are Xerox for copy machines and Bandaids for any sterile adhesive dressing.

Besides, 'transformer' is a generic term in itself. I have several transformers in my home, in fact one of them is currently powering my house (transforming 380V into domestic 240V AC).

Also, what do you think those little boxes at the top of electricity poles are called? ;)

Right, transformer is a generic term for those boxes that convert electricity. Therefore, GE or some other company can't copyright the name 'Transformer' for one of those..

It's not just that its a general term, it's gotta be a general term for the item in question to not be copyrightable..

And none of those are trademarks. :)

However, Hasbro cannot sue the manufacturers of electrical transformers for using the word anymore than Microsoft can sue manufacturers of windows for houses/buildings. ;)

Scotch Tape? Who in gods name would say Scotch tape when they mean Sellotape?

Er... everyone in North America. @smilepunch@

True about the Coke thing, though. Never really thought about it, but I imagine they'll lose the license.

It's too bad that a toy's character's name even has to be a copyright. I mean, as long as they copyright the name 'Transformer' it really shouldn't matter. I mean, if they're characters, then who cares?

Weirdos @smilepunch@

But then again, you say loads of weird stuff so I'd expect that. So is Scotch a more prominent brand than Sellotape over there?

Over here, people only bother with Scotch if they want that frosty stuff that you can write over

What's sellotape?

And Bluestreak was named for the actual definition of the term, not the color of the car ;)

, however, I dunno if it applies to Hot Rod since ppl thought he was called different since Mattel made a line Hot Wheels called Hot Rod

Could be. Or it could be that "Hot Rod" is a trademark of "Hot Rod" Magazine.

Or, it could just be that Aaron "I'm So Cool" Archer just didn't like that name... ;)

No offense, but I think AA seems to don't care about the fans in regards of names. I think he names them because he likes it rather than make it as a homage sort of thing. I mean, superion maximus!? That sounds stupid as oppose to superion. I understand e downshift since wheeljack was used in armada, but half of the names that R recycled doesn't make sense.

I could be wrong here but i believe that a grandfather clause of that nature would only work on items from that era, truth betold Rodimus major was brought back in a different year with different packaging making it a new product, they might have had the name but the product was technicly new, hence new copyright dates on the toys. it is a generic name ...however not sure why you can't use a generic term as it is called, well other then a busines decission cause if another transforming car from a different company wanted to use it to there would be nothing stopping it legally. I dont know i wish they would just tag Autobot or decepticon in front of the name.

Kelloggs copyrighted Corn Flakes? @lol@ I seriously thought that WAS just a generic term!

Some common ones - Tannoy (public address system), Hoover (vacuum cleaner), Bic (razor), Sellotape (erm, not sure what the generic term is. Sticky tape? Adhesive tape?). There are more, but Im bored

Well I think at once they had the term copyrighted, but lost it becuase it was just to well associated with those lil flakes of corn!!! So they lost the rights!!!! But that was a long time ago!!!!

I think another name brand that was lost was Scotch Tape!!!!

I know Coca Cola is fighting hard to keep Coke their name brand!!!!!!! I mean how many times to you go into a restaurant you order a coke, whether or not they ever sell Coca Cola, they know what you mean!!!!

Scotch Tape? Who in gods name would say Scotch tape when they mean Sellotape?

Well, since Scotch is the most well-known of our plastic-tape brands, it's not really that big a stretch, is it? :)

http://www.3m.com/about3m/student/scotchbrand4/

There ya go, all learned up. :D

I think I won't see a new Scrapper anytime soon then . That must be why he is the only of the Micromaster constructicons wich hasn't been named his G1 name.

Well, if they reissue the Constructicons, they don't even need to put the individual names on the box. Just Devastator, or Constructicons even. They we could all just assume the names were the same!

You know what would be better than 'Autobot Jazz'? Autobot: Jazz. Just to separate it a bit more.