Gi Joe Issue # 35

Violentfix

Let me start off by saying that I'm really happy that I've been enjoying Reloaded and that the recent Snake-Eyes mini-series was so good, because lately GI Joe the regular comic just plain sucks, in my opinion. Issue 35 read as nothing more than teenage soap opera drivel. The art is substandard and the comic itself is starting to really resemble the Mini-comics that we've been getting with our figures and appears to be aimed at very young audience.

The big showdown between Wraith and Snake-eyes. I'm not some big Snake-eyes advocate or anything, but it really doesn't make any sense to me that Wraith beat Snake-eyes with just plain talent. When this was first mentioned, I figured Snake-eyes would be battling an invisible Wraith and that would be the only reason for the fight being anything of a challenge. But instead what we get is a simple hand-to-hand combat match that shows Snake-Eyes getting the crap beat out of him. I'm not saying that Snake-Eyes should never lose, but what I am saying is, how can you take a character that you've built up to be this amazing unbeatable fighter that takes on impossible odds regularly, and then let him get the crap kicked out of him be some new character, just to make him look like a bad ass. Sorry, this pissed me off.

Again, Mayday makes a brief appearance with no insight into her character. All we know from this issue is that she can shoot down helicopters (Gattleing guns blazing) from a moving van, with no cover and just a shotgun. Will we ever learn anything about this character, or is she just there for T & A (Sorry for the reference, but it's really how I feel).

I don't really mind the whole Hawk thing. He's been a strong character long enough and he deserves a little bit of a mental break. Although it's pretty poor leadership abilities, he must not empower his junior officers very well, because the Joes are making seem like they can't do anything without him being around.

The Whole Mirage Vs Stall conflict is coming off to me as too forced and a little corny. I did like Mirage's parting comment though "You're a childish inattentive mess of a soldier, an arrogant blemish on a family of career military men." Way to go Mirage.

I guess I just want to feel like I'm reading a story and not just seeing a commercial. Even the original series, which was supposed to be a giant commercial, was never so obvious and clique. This is a comic for kids and maybe it's my fault for thinking any differently. I may just stop reading the regular series.

Thought this was a pretty good issue.

I was hoping the Wraith vs. Snake Eyes would have been better, I'm hoping there is a rematch soon.

I like Mayday and Roadblock relationship they have building, it looks like they will make a great team up since Alpine and Bazooka.

I actually like Mirage's character now as for Black Out I really don't see how he is going to become a Cobra he seems to weak now, but then it could have just been a front hoping that he would have been taken to HQ and reveal where it is for Cobra.

The last page was a suprise though can't wait to see how that pans out especially with Alexander.

i admit i haven't read this, or the last issue yet, as i have had car trouble and my comci shop is out of the way.

But... the idea alone of reloaded stinks. yeah Jerwa might be making a few mistakes, he isn't perfect, master and apprentice ruled, and i'm still giving him a shot for right now. I told him i didn't likethe 12 thing thats coming up on his messege boared and he seemed to suggest the jugglers might be behind it but it wouldn't last for too long.

more thoughts after i actuatly get to read the issue.

This is the second issue of Joe I haven't read. I posted the reasons why a while back, so I won't re-hash... I'm just glad to see the lack of quality is starting to put off other fans too.

Reading the spoilers others have posted, it looks like Jerwa's 'contribution' to the Joe mithos, the Wraith, was able to kick the ass of the most talented ninja on the planet. Riiiiiight. That is charecter development in this book... not with a good writer getting into the heads and motivations of the Joes and Cobras, but everone shooting each other, and Jerwa's pet creation taking over the title of 'badass' from Snakeeyes.

Next, he'll change the title to 'Wraith: featuring GI Joe'.

I just wish someone at Hasbro would put their foot down and get this hack off the book; he's gutting their property like a fish.

This is the second issue of Joe I haven't read.

Okay everyone is entitled to their opinion and obviously you have yours on the GIJoe book. But I honestly have to say that the fact that you are no longer reading the book should make your opinion null and void in these new threads. You don't like the book - we get it. You already had your spotlight in your own thread, please let it rest man. I think if you have something else to say on the subject you should go back to your quittin the book thread and post it there.

Okay so now on the subject of the actual book. I'm just gonna point out that Wraith is only on a higher playing field due to the super duper stealth suit that he currently possesses. Destro had hired him only after hearing about the possibility that Wraith had stolen it. I'm sure he's good at what he does but now with the suit, he's close to unstoppable. And I say close because he was mainly using the suits gimmicks, not skill. Sure he's good but you saw how Roadblock takes him down with a surprise blow. I'm sure if Snakes had the suit there'd be no comparison.

*And on a side note, I've read the scripts for a few books ahead, and I'm just gonna say that I got really fan boy-ish while reading them. I have to admit it's a real good time to be a Joe fan!* @propeller@

Okay everyone is entitled to their opinion and obviously you have yours on the GIJoe book. But I honestly have to say that the fact that you are no longer reading the book should make your opinion null and void in these new threads. You don't like the book - we get it. You already had your spotlight in your own thread, please let it rest man. I think if you have something else to say on the subject you should go back to your quittin the book thread and post it there.

Okay so now on the subject of the actual book. I'm just gonna point out that Wraith is only on a higher playing field due to the super duper stealth suit that he currently possesses. Destro had hired him only after hearing about the possibility that Wraith had stolen it. I'm sure he's good at what he does but now with the suit, he's close to unstoppable. And I say close because he was mainly using the suits gimmicks, not skill. Sure he's good but you saw how Roadblock takes him down with a surprise blow. I'm sure if Snakes had the suit there'd be no comparison.

*And on a side note, I've read the scripts for a few books ahead, and I'm just gonna say that I got really fan boy-ish while reading them. I have to admit it's a real good time to be a Joe fan!* @propeller@

I hear what you're saying. It just seemed like that fight was all about brute strength and skill and that the suit didn't have anything to do with it. It's just the way I interpeted it. As for it being a good time to be a joe fan. Well, I've always been optimistic and I've always stuck with Joe through thick and thin. The way I see it is sooner or later the creative team will be turned over or the story will change. I just don't want to see it get tot he point that people stop reading it and then it goes away like the origianl series.

Okay... I went to my comic shop last night and read it off the shelf.

It still sucks.

I hope my opinon counts now.

I think Snake Eyes and Wraith should have at least been more evenly matched. Wraith should be portrayed as goodbut not that good.

I have a feeling that Stall is going to join Cobra. I think all of the stuff with Mirage getting on him got a little old. How dense can Stall be if after all that hounding from Mirage, what does it take to get through to him. I wonder how Stall was even considered for the Joe team. I think the whole thing with Stall and Mirage would have been more acceptible if a more major Joe had been telling him off, like Stalker.

Baroness pregnant, WAY TO GO DESTRO! I hope Alexander is not going to try anything bad because he found out. I think Alexander is going to get jelous of the new baby.

Looks like the Joe team is going to hit rock bottom. I hope Hawk gets off his butt and does something. I don't want my last impression of Hawk being that he is a quiter.

Nice to see Scalpel actually get some speaking lines.

I thought it was a good issue.

I think Snake Eyes and Wraith should have at least been more evenly matched. Wraith should be portrayed as goodbut not that good.

I have a feeling that Stall is going to join Cobra. I think all of the stuff with Mirage getting on him got a little old. How dense can Stall be if after all that hounding from Mirage, what does it take to get through to him. I wonder how Stall was even considered for the Joe team. I think the whole thing with Stall and Mirage would have been more acceptible if a more major Joe had been telling him off, like Stalker.

Baroness pregnant, WAY TO GO DESTRO! I hope Alexander is not going to try anything bad because he found out. I think Alexander is going to get jelous of the new baby.

Looks like the Joe team is going to hit rock bottom. I hope Hawk gets off his butt and does something. I don't want my last impression of Hawk being that he is a quiter.

It's Flints baby! Not Destros!

-Kevin

lately GI Joe the regular comic just plain sucks, in my opinion. Issue 35 read as nothing more than teenage soap opera drivel.

This is also the second issue I've missed.

Some of the things that bother me:

1. I didn't buy #34 because of the blatant Flag Coloring Mistake on the COVER! I was planning on just skipping that one, but now I'm skipping #35 as well. With on-going Flag Mistakes, I tipped of DD plently of time on how to draw the US Flag correctly. They never improved. It's finally gone over the line where I just don't trust DD anymore with handling GI Joe: A Real American Hero.

2. Hawk in a wheelchair...Uhg, not a story I'm interested in, I may just wait till he gets out of the chair before I pick up the book again. Seriously.

3. The soap opera feel. I find that to be highly irritating. It's all coming off like a soap opera lately, even a bit in M&A.

4. Overkill is SAW viper. Whatever. Trying a little too hard to be clever.

5. Budo is just another brotha along with the rest of the Homeslice Arashikage gang. The characters are just not coming off as disciplined martial artists and Samurai to me. I don't think anyone at DD is really qualified to write any martial arts material. However, Jerwa for the most part did have some good material in M&A.

6. Serpentor Returns and then is done because of the exploding helmet that he knew Cobra Commander had? Serpentor Returns and then is swept under the rug in three issues. Not OK.

I could go on and on. It's not really Jerwa's fault perse. I think it's DD's fault. They are too small of a company to be handling such a big property. The things I like about Jerwa are his Chuckles story in Frontline and I also liked issue #27 with the Red Ninjas.

What GI Joe really needs is a difficult task though. Someone who knows Joe, knows martial arts, knows the military and knows how to write good stories. The reason Marvel GI Joe excelled was because Hama had military and martial arts experience himself. There was no lacking and he had the edge with personal experience. GI Joe is primarily an American Military Story (fictional), but second hand military consultation hasn't seemed to really cut the mustard, IMO. I think the writer probably NEEDs to be a Vet so that nothing needs to be translated.

Anyway, the bottomline is I'm not on board with the comic anymore and Violentfix's review let's me know the boat isn't worth getting back in. Just confirms it for me.

Wraith kicked SE's arse? That's dumb. Sarcastically, "who is Wraith"?

lately GI Joe the regular comic just plain sucks, in my opinion.  Issue 35 read as nothing more than teenage soap opera drivel.

What GI Joe really needs is a difficult task though. Someone who knows Joe, knows martial arts, knows the military and knows how to write good stories. The reason Marvel GI Joe excelled was because Hama had military and martial arts experience himself. There was no lacking and he had the edge with personal experience. GI Joe is primarily an American Military Story (fictional), but second hand military consultation hasn't seemed to really cut the mustard, IMO. I think the writer probably NEEDs to be a Vet so that nothing needs to be translated.

Anyway, the bottomline is I'm not on board with the comic anymore and Violentfix's review let's me know the boat isn't worth getting back in. Just confirms it for me.

Wraith kicked SE's arse? That's dumb. Sarcastically, "who is Wraith"?

I can't agree with you more. It seems like they are trying too hard to make it so young kids can enjoy GI Joe that they're forgetting what GI Joe is about. It's not TV Teenage drivel like The OC or Buffy The Vampire Slayer. (<-- yeah yeah yeah, no offense to Buffy fans)

I know, I know that the original dipped down a bit toward the end of it's run, but come on guys, pick it back up. Don't follow the same pattern that landed GI Joe in the Discontinued pile of old comics.

I think Snake Eyes and Wraith should have at least been more evenly matched.  Wraith should be portrayed as goodbut not that good.

I have a feeling that Stall is going to join Cobra.  I think all of the stuff with Mirage getting on him got a little old.  How dense can Stall be if after all that hounding from Mirage, what does it take to get through to him.  I wonder how Stall was even considered for the Joe team.  I think the whole thing with Stall and Mirage would have been more acceptible if a more major Joe had been telling him off, like Stalker.

Baroness pregnant, WAY TO GO DESTRO!  I hope Alexander is not going to try anything bad because he found out.  I think Alexander is going to get jelous of the new baby.

Looks like the Joe team is going to hit rock bottom.  I hope Hawk gets off his butt and does something.  I don't want my last impression of Hawk being that he is a quiter.

-Kevin

Now way would Flint do that to Lady Jaye.

Then again if I were Flint I would.

I really like this issue the fight with Wraith and SE was pretty cool but I wished that would have been a little longer. I didn't realize that Stall was Black Out until I read sunshine's post, that is what I get for new reading the file cards. I wonder when they will mention that he and Barrel Roll are brothers. I cant wait for the next issue.

Baroness pregnant, WAY TO GO DESTRO!  I hope Alexander is not going to try anything bad because he found out.  I think Alexander is going to get jelous of the new baby.

-Kevin

I was thinking the same thing, I guess they got a little lonely when they were held prisoner back in issues 18 & 19.

I like the drama, Loved the issue, i think the fights are more of a flaw in tim or brandon's execuition, than in the idea, i think they want the fight to look closer than it does, they seem to only be able to comminucate who wins and not how close it is. Hopefully they can fix that.

I think the man need here is for Cobra and it's leaders to have a dream, and a purpose, a reason why people sign up and fight to the death for the cause.

Remember, Snake-Eyes doesn't have an armor suit as Wraith. When they fought, it was logical to see SS get defeated when using conventional ninja fighting style against an opponent with superior technology.

Even SS gets whipped up upon once in while.

After all SS isn't a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.

Beyond that I like the story. I like to see more character and story developement though.

db

They're building this new guy up just like they do with wrestling. The new guy beats up on a big established face character, and he becomes the huge new heel. Anyone remember Randy Orton before Mic Foley? So, SE is Wraith's Foley. The big guy did the job to give Wraith the rub to get him over as a heel. Big deal. They'll dummy him down later on when people lose interest.

-Kevin

I was thinking the same thing, I guess they got a little lonely when they were held prisoner back in issues 18 & 19.

I dunno, if that look of sheer terror Flint had when he realized LJ had seen Baroness grab him and kiss him is any indication, I dont think he'd pull anything like that. If he got a punch for a kiss she'll kill him for uploading his sperm filers to some womans vaginal mainframe. ;)

I hope Alexander pulls something and fails. Destro reveals he found out that while he IS the son of Destros jilted ex-wife, he's another guys son and Alex was just her pawn to get back at Destro. Then he blows the little asstard's head off. Stupid third rate Billy rip-off.

Jerwa is marginallly better than Blaydork. That really isnt that hard to do. But he blew it when he killed Flash and Chuckles, turned Gorky nto a bastard and then killed him and crippled Hawk.

But to give credit to where I feel its due, making Baroness pregnant and siring the next heir to the Destro legacy is one of the few ideas of his I like. But I wouldnt put it past him to make Flint the daddy. Or make Mindbender age the kid artificially and make him a living weapon

Jerwa is marginallly better than Blaydork. That really isnt that hard to do. But he blew it when he killed Flash and Chuckles, turned Gorky nto a bastard and then killed him and crippled Hawk.

First of all i donn't think he wanted to kill flash or one of his favorite characters Chuckles they were on Hasbros dreaded list. As for Gorky Brandon was not writing the series when Gorky Died. And as for hawk i think it adds mor reality to the story. I'm not saying you but many people want more deaths but alot of them don't like seeing there favorite character hurt.

Reality? Screw reality. Thats not what Joe is about. The name GI Joe hasnt been associated with reality ever since Mike Power and Bulletman joined the Adventure team to fight the Intruders. Want death in the military? Watch a documentary, pick up a book about WWII or turn on CNN. But dont kill longtime characters just so some morbid death-obsessed IMAGE fanboys can get their jollies.

There are some Joes that wouldnt bug me too much if they died but as far as Im concerned the original 13 are off limits. Killing Breaker was one of the few marks I have against Hama.

Reality? Screw reality. Thats not what Joe is about. The name GI Joe hasnt been associated with reality ever since Mike Power and Bulletman joined the Adventure team to fight the Intruders. Want death in the military? Watch a documentary, pick up a book about WWII or turn on CNN. But dont kill longtime characters just so some morbid death-obsessed IMAGE fanboys can get their jollies.

There are some Joes that wouldnt bug me too much if they died but as far as Im concerned the original 13 are off limits. Killing Breaker was one of the few marks I have against Hama.

I too don't like caracters to die. But its just the fact that one minute people are saying the comic is to out there. Tehn they say they don't want it realistic. I'm not saying you think that i'm just saying some people.

HI my name is bob, I like to read the same thing allt he time over and over again becouse i'm incomfortable with Change. Sure this limists what i read quite a bit, totaly takes out in danger, or suspense in the book, but at least i know everything is okay, becouse down here in my mom's basement, things get really scary.

just to set the record straight, i always say this kinda thing when the topic comes up.

I have watched characters i love die like Hawkeye and CHuckles, but i accept it. IN my line of thought i really can not see the other side, it seems so unrealsitic and unintersting.

I'm sure Doc you don't live with your parents , or most of that other stuff, but do you not like change in a comic? is that too real? we draw different lines to which we wish to take our escapism, to me to far means no fun.

I've got some pros and some cons.

Pros: I think Jerwa is doing a good job with the story. A lot of people can criticize, but its easy to play armchair quaterback. Trying to blend an accurate millitary story with sci-fi and not have it be campy is a pretty tough task. With no new characters or vehicles in the issue, I don't see how you think this issue was a commercial at all.

Cons: I agree that the whole Wraith thing is just stupid. I don't like seeing another vigilante/assasin/onemanarmy/badace character. There are too many "Wolverine"s and not enough "Cyclops"s, if you get my drift. Firefly and Stormshadow should be more than enough for Snake Eyes to handle. I really wouldn't mind if Snake- Eyes went away for awhile, hes getting way too much page space. I also like that Scalpel got some lines, he's an awesome character. It's characters like him that I would like to see more of, and less of characters like Snake-Eyes. IMO, Seelys art is good, but its nothing like Casseli and Raj's work on Master and Apprentice.

I just read it and loved the issue from cover to cover. The only thing that bugs me is the ease at which Wraith won! I think he should have the first time but it should have been more drawn out. I expect SE to lay the smack down once he goes in prepared for Wraith. Also like where the Blackout thing is going! I just HOPE Hasbro doesn't make a new Mirage because of it.......don't care for him.

Draven