Why Doesn't Habro Re-issue The Classic Molds???

Lady Jaye

Ok, from that main page you can see all the re-issues that they have come up for those collectors shows, the really funky painted figures from molds we know. Why doesn' t Hasbro do what Mattel did and re-release their line in the classic colors, in repro packaging, like they did for their Classic Trilogy line???? I mean if they did it, I'm sure we would buy them in a freakin heartbeat!!!!! I know I would love to get a FLint in his original colors and all the rest they have.

To hell with the dealers. So what if there prices went down, screw em, it's not like Hasbro gets any money from their sales, so why try to keep em happ??? Crappy groups like Master collector can go to hell with thier crappy re-paints, bring us re-issues damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree, or am I just ranting???? @loll@

I would support it only if it was a limited vintage type run like Star Wars had. But even then I would rather have the old card backs with ne sculpts matching the old RAH card art completely like the vintage SW.

Draven

I think that would be a great way for classic RAH collectors to ge some of the harder to find figures, like Storm Shadow or Snake Eyes version II, which we know they have the molds too!!! I know I would kill to see a classic re-release in exact replicas!!!!

I would support it only if it was a limited vintage type run like Star Wars had. But even then I would rather have the old card backs with ne sculpts matching the old RAH card art completely like the vintage SW.

Draven

I agree, old cardbacks would be huge sellers.

As pure reissues, yea I'd buy them again, even if they came out already as NF2, TF2, AV or whatever. GI Joe is seemingly the only line that doesn't do many reissues, mostly repaints. The collector base might not be as big as say, Transformers though.

Draven

Yes they would be, perhaps for the 25th anniversary we will see them :) (perhaps)

GI Joe is seemingly the only line that doesn't do many reissues, mostly repaints. The collector base might not be as big as say, Transformers though.

That's true. TF has had a line running since the 80's and the fanbase has mostly stayed collecting since then. When Joe took a break, many collectors, simply 'moved on' and did not come back.

Most people that I talk to (not online) who collected Joes or TF in the past, have no idea that the lines are currently alive and available.

Draven

Yes they would be, perhaps for the 25th anniversary we will see them :) (perhaps)

Isn't there a question about who actually owns the original card/box art?

That would be cool if they did reissue them. I don't collect any of the new Joes. They're a piece of cheap plastic SH*T!! Put the metal rivets back on there joints and I will buy them, else, F... You Hasbro. I only get the TRU exclusives 6-packs and the reissue G1 Transformers. Those are quality and worth the money spent on them.

Uhhh since when have they had the mold for SE II? That's been missing for at least seven years.

@grumpy@ Uhh they had plan on using it, ut for some reaon, didn't. Why I don't know. Hell who knows what the suits at Hasbro are thinking sometimes!!!!

Uhh they had plan on using it, ut for some reaon, didn't. Why I don't know. Hell who knows what the suits at Hasbro are thinking sometimes!!!!

In 1997, the cardbacks and such were designed before Hasbro knew what molds they had. The re-releases of that year were meant to use as many collector friendly molds as possible. However, when Hasbro started looking, they found that many of the molds were missing. (Among them, SE V2, V1 Cobra Commander, V1 Destro, etc.) As such, when they couldn't find the V2 SE mold, they simply went with what was available. They have not had the V2 SE mold available to them for some time and it was never intended to be released in '97 beyond the conceptual stage. That isn't to say that the mold isn't available now. However, as Hasbro didn't use it in the Desert Set, I would venture to guess that the V2 is still too far gone to use in the near future.

As to the matter at hand, I think straight reissues would be boring as can be. We already have figures in their original color schemes. I'd much rather they repainted any release into something new rather than offering us a figure that is easily acquired on the second hand market. Let's face it, those SW commemorative figs are, what, $10 each? For that price, you can buy just about any post '83 Joe figure aside from the rarer vehicle drivers and most popular figures. (And, do you really think Hasbro would issue a special edition Payload figure?) On the Cobra side, that price might fare a little better. But, do you really want $10 Vipers when they could be released 6 for $20 in a TRU set?

I see straight re-issues as folly. Those SW figures are clogging the pegs and Joes would do the exact same. Most collectors want something they haven't gotten before rather than something they can already get. The repaints offer some classic molds in different color schemes and give figures more versatility. Some have been overdone, but the majority of the repaints are welcome additions to the original molds in my collection.

I'd much rather they repainted any release into something new rather than offering us a figure that is easily acquired on the second hand market.

Personally, I'd rather have a brand-new figure than someone else's used toy. If given the choice to get something used on E-Bay versus getting a brand-new toy with only a couple of dollars difference, I'll buy it from TRU (for example).

On the Cobra side, that price might fare a little better.  But, do you really want $10 Vipers when they could be released 6 for $20 in a TRU set?

I guess the army builders are the exceptions to the rule.

Those SW figures are clogging the pegs and Joes would do the exact same.

Maybe they're charging too much? I don't know. If $10 bucks has to be the price (when factoring in production run and all that), then only the choice figures need to be reissued in this fashion.

Otherwise, for the unique characters, they could always do a "Best Of" 6-pack from each year, perhaps 1 or 2 sets [for each year '83-'91], where possible. If they charged MSRP of $24.99-$29.99, that'd sound reasonable.

Ok, from that main page you can see all the re-issues that they have come up for those collectors shows, the really funky painted figures from molds we know. Why doesn' t Hasbro do what Mattel did and re-release their line in the classic colors, in repro packaging, like they did for their Classic Trilogy line???? I mean if they did it, I'm sure we would buy them in a freakin heartbeat!!!!! I know I would love to get a FLint in his original colors and all the rest they have.

To hell with the dealers. So what if there prices went down, screw em, it's not like Hasbro gets any money from their sales, so why try to keep em happ??? Crappy groups like Master collector can go to hell with thier crappy re-paints, bring us re-issues damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree, or am I just ranting???? @loll@

The Transformers are that way, so I don't understand it either. I could care less about how soeone with an AFA-graded original would whine over depreciation. Hasbro's the business, not them, so they should sell what people would buy.

I like the new figures, I think HASBRO has done a great job and with the metal pins you have to be careful since I know there is a block of years where the pins are causing cracking of the plastic of some sort. With the new insert pin molding as well as the molds we are able to also display and post some figures that we cannot do with some of the older gijoes in the 80's. Do not get me wrong I love RAH but I am trying to state my opinon that HASBRO has been doing a pretty good job for the most part on the figures and I applaud that.

Well V2 Snake Eyes wasn't found. In fact non of the figs in that batch of lost molds were found. But yes they did find a tone of lost vehicles and some figures.

Draven

Mattel re-made the lost molds by using the toy themselves, when they reissued MOTU, and Takara repaired the badly-damaged Jazz and SOundwave molds. It won't bankrupt Hasbro to at least make a few parts (head, torso) to use with other parts so a classic figure is at least partially salvaged, and no one will complain if they get a Snake Eyes 2 reissue with SE3's arms and pants. The original BAT just needs the head and torso as well, since at least the legs are still around (used on Viper reissues) as well as the uper arms (used on comic 3-pack #2 Snake Eyes) and the lower arms can come from a v.2 BAT.

The same goes for the original Cobra Commander. All they have to do is produce his head for use on a Crimson Guard body repainted blue.

There are ways to recover lost figures without completely recovering their molds. When there's a will, there's a way. Hasbro is just not that willing for some reason.

The Transformers are that way, so I don't understand it either. I could care less about how soeone with an AFA-graded original would whine over depreciation. Hasbro's the business, not them, so they should sell what people would buy.

If this were to happen, somehow, I don't think they would have anything to worry about. I highly doubt the paintjob would be as sharp, or the same quality and detail would be present to recreate an exact replica. So the vintage stuff would still probably be superior in those aspects. And the plastic would be different as well, so there's always that.

The original BAT just needs the head and torso as well, since at least the legs are still around (used on Viper reissues) as well as the uper arms (used on comic 3-pack #2 Snake Eyes) and the lower arms can come from a v.2 BAT.

The exception to this rule has got to be army builders, where the entire thing should be redone. Afterall, they'll likely put 3-5 of them per 6-pack anyway.

Besides, the hand attachments for BAT v1 were better [than v2].

Mattel re-made the lost molds by using the toy themselves, when they reissued MOTU, and Takara repaired the badly-damaged Jazz and SOundwave molds. It won't bankrupt Hasbro to at least make a few parts (head, torso) to use with other parts so a classic figure is at least partially salvaged, and no one will complain if they get a Snake Eyes 2 reissue with SE3's arms and pants.

In Hasbro's defense, they have been (slowly!) remaking some figure parts. Aside from the Faces and the Cobra Troopers, they have also resculpted parts for the AV Mutt as well as the Urban Scrap Iron. So, they are trying.

My bet is that the recast parts are made from molds that are available, but too damaged to use. That way, Hasbro can get the measurements, etc. to put the figure together in a manner that is close to the original. It is probably just a matter of time until we see a new battle helmet CC head or a remolded '85 Snake Eyes. I just hope they are done up in different colors that accentuate different parts of the mold and offer collectors something that enhances their collections rather than replacing part of it. :)

Well V2 Snake Eyes wasn't found. In fact non of the figs in that batch of lost molds were found. But yes they did find a tone of lost vehicles and some figures.

Draven

Mattel re-made the lost molds by using the toy themselves, when they reissued MOTU, and Takara repaired the badly-damaged Jazz and SOundwave molds. It won't bankrupt Hasbro to at least make a few parts (head, torso) to use with other parts so a classic figure is at least partially salvaged, and no one will complain if they get a Snake Eyes 2 reissue with SE3's arms and pants. The original BAT just needs the head and torso as well, since at least the legs are still around (used on Viper reissues) as well as the uper arms (used on comic 3-pack #2 Snake Eyes) and the lower arms can come from a v.2 BAT.

The same goes for the original Cobra Commander. All they have to do is produce his head for use on a Crimson Guard body repainted blue.

There are ways to recover lost figures without completely recovering their molds. When there's a will, there's a way. Hasbro is just not that willing for some reason.

And Hasbro has done that quite a few times now, Solider, Officer, Crimson Guard, etc. I didn't say they wouldn't for Snake Eyes v2. In fact..... @loll@ Anyway the whole Bat V1 mold is available again. They found the top half. That has been publicly confirmed by Hasbro.

Draven

I just hope they are done up in different colors that accentuate different parts of the mold and offer collectors something that enhances their collections rather than replacing part of it. :)

They should do both, one original colored, and one in some 6-pack repainted. Not everyone has one in original colors. So SE v2 for everybody.